• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand why the show isn't as elaborate color wise, but sometimes I do wish for some of the flair you see in some Shakespeare adaptions.

One of the interesting things about the period of history Martin was/is inspired by is that color was really a privilege of the rich, as well as knights. A normal person could go their entire life seeing only brown, black, and other dreary colors. So seeing a royal in flowing, bright colors must have been surreal. Likewise seeing a knight with colorful banners would be equally surreal and also terrifying depending on which side he was on.
dyes were pretty ubiquitous in Early Modern Western Europe, certain colors (and types of clothing) were restricted for certain classes as a method of social signalling, but it really wouldn't be out of the ordinary to see a villein wearing bright blue. I'd chalk the show's decision up to a) budget and b) going for an earthy, realist aesthetic (Real is Brown after all). Those scenes in the North really try to realize a robust environment, loading them up with browns and greys indicates to the viewer that this is a no fun zone.

I liked this episode. Through 3 episodes I like season 5 a lot more than season 4. I thought the show conveyed the information it needed to convey pretty well. I don't see the criticism for the Robert Strong scene here as too heavy-handed; iirc AFFC explicitly states The Mountain was under Qyburn's care following the duel and that screams were coming from Qyburn's chambers, prompting him to move him into the dungeon. Like, Robert Strong = The Mountain's body was something even I picked up on and I missed literally everything else on first read.

Speevy

Banned
One thing I didn't like last week was how much Indira Varma accent changed in Dorne. It's subtle change from more Middle Eastern before to straight Spaniard/Portuguese and sort of like Oberyn. I thought she was a new character altogether when I first saw. Did anyone else pick up on it? Hard to explain. But I had marathoned last season before seeing this new season and her voice was so familiar to me and then felt different. It's probably more accurate Dorne-ish, but still.

Yes, it's absolutely ridiculous. They've turned a talented British actress into a hokey (fake) Spanish one.

Brakke

Banned
Poked into the unsullied thread. My secret favorite thing about them is the spelling. "High septum", "Danny", etc.

Why are you guys so infatuated with Stannis' nod?

He's The Mannis. Also Castle Black is *built* for bro-nods-from-above at this point.

Speevy

Banned
I hope they don't play that chanty music every time the faith does something.

It reminds me of that music that used to play whenever the Thenns were on screen.

Next year, the dwarves have their revenge! *cue carnival music*

Madness

Think the use of Jaqen H'gar and his music is the best for the Arya stuff. Gives viewers a nostalgic music and tone and a familiar face. I wonder how they'll do the cat and warging stuff since only Bran does it in show.

Seems like Jon story this season will probably end with shipping Sam and Aemon off, possibly getting betrayed. I don't like the looks Olly gives him when be says free folk, fired the arrow into Mance, and the fact he made Ser Alliser first Ranger. His season could end this year with the betrayal.

I thought it was because she found out Lancel had confessed to the old High Septon? I didn't remember the part about him being Tyrion's.

I recall her being paranoid about the man since Tyrion appointed him, but yeah, the Lancel thing was the main motivation.

But it's been a while since I read that chapter so maybe I'm mixing things up.

Red Comet

I've accepted the changes for what they are, and I'm not really upset by them. However, I'm not entirely happy with how they're handling the Wall scenes. Last week I thought the Lord Commander election seemed rushed and this week they sort of ruined the execution scene.

Dat nod though.

M.Bluth

Last week I thought the Lord Commander election seemed rushed and this week they sort of ruined the execution scene.

One could accept the election change due to time, and since half the people involved aren't there anyway. The botching of the execution scene is just inexcusable. It's pretty much the same as the mess they did with Tyrion's last scenes last season, they changed shit just to change it.

Red Comet

One could accept the election change due to time, and since half the people involved aren't there anyway. The botching of the execution scene is just inexcusable. It's pretty much the same as the mess they did with Tyrion's last scenes last season, they changed shit just to change it.

Exactly. I can excuse many changes due to time constraints or for the sake of making something work better on TV, but the simple changes to that particular scene was perplexing to me. It was much more powerful and badass in the novel.

Speevy

Banned
I'll say what I have said before. This show always goes for the simplest, least stylish, least nuanced, and ultimately least suspenseful storytelling for most of its scenes.

Now, what they get right is not having wild character shifts even when the character in the books has changed by that point.

How is this remotely comparable to the really drastic changes they did to Tyrion's escape last season? I don't see how the relatively minor changes to how the execution scene was structured are somehow inexcusable.

Madness

Feels weird to have Sansa marrying Ramsay. Don't know where that's going.

The same way it went in the books but with Sansa. Since Brienne is following them, and there is no Stoneheart, I have a feeling she will end up helping Theon and Sansa escape.

Also, that North Remembers bit got me a bit emotional for a split second. I wonder if they'll have Sansa go down to the crypts at some point.

The same way it went in the books but with Sansa. Since Brienne is following them, and there is no Stoneheart, I have a feeling she will end up helping Theon and Sansa escape.

Also, that North Remembers bit got me a bit emotional for a split second. I wonder if they'll have Sansa go down to the crypts at some point.

I think
we've seen her in the crypts in trailer or preview footage.

Because they took the most iconic line from the best monologue and one of the bigger reveals in ADwD and gave it to some random Winterfell worker who just blurts it out.
They've used the line in advertisements for the show. It's clearly going to be used more. And they didn't suddenly ruin the moment from the books by doing that. It could still happen later.

Patriots7

Feels weird to have Sansa marrying Ramsay. Don't know where that's going.
I'm going to guess something along the lines of

"This is some trick. It’s him, it’s my … my lord, my sweet lord, he sent you, this is just some test to make sure that I love him. I do, I do, I love him more than anything.” A tear ran down her cheek. “Tell him, you tell him. I’ll do what he wants … whatever he wants … with him or … or with the dog or … please …"

Moff

I don't undrstand that reactions to sansa's storyline, we have known or at least expected that for months haven't we? and I like them honestly. it's leages better than all that BS with harry the heir, we can count ourselved lucky we don't have to watch that on TV.

however, I was displeased with slynts execution, because that is one of the very, very, few moments I actually liked in the whole of AFFC/ADWD. I just loved how jon wanted to have him hanged first but then remembered ned saying you should carry your sentence out yourself.
nod was fine

The main reason I am interested and mostly optimistic about the Winterfell change is because they have been planning this from way back in 2011. I'm guessing whatever they have here has been planned out pretty explicitly and it's not just a random arc they thought of in a couple days.(like the crasters stuff in S4)

"This is some trick. It’s him, it’s my … my lord, my sweet lord, he sent you, this is just some test to make sure that I love him. I do, I do, I love him more than anything.” A tear ran down her cheek. “Tell him, you tell him. I’ll do what he wants … whatever he wants … with him or … or with the dog or … please …"
I imagine just about everyone will be really fucking upset if they take it in that direction with Sansa Stark. She's finally being built up as a confident player in the game and breaking her down again will ruin it.

Speevy

Banned
The main reason I am interested and mostly optimistic about the Winterfell change is because they have been planning this from way back in 2011. I'm guessing whatever they have here has been planned out pretty explicitly and it's not just a random arc they thought of in a couple days.(like the crasters stuff in S4)

No one will forget the legend of Karl Tanner.

I think the Sansa arc has big potential, maybe she'll actually have a chance to put her new manipulative persona to serious use unlike in the books. It's certainly more entertaining than seeing her and Littlefinger cooped up in the Veil anyways.

EW article about the Sansa arc

And it’s because of Turner’s strength, Benioff continued, that it made sense to give Sansa a dramatic storyline this season and to use Ramsay’s engagement for that very purpose. In fact, the showrunners first thought about putting Sansa and Ramsay together back when they were writing season 2. “We really wanted Sansa to play a major part this season,” Benioff said. “If we were going to stay absolutely faithful to the book, it was going to be very hard to do that. There was as subplot we loved from the books, but it used a character that’s not in the show.”

Writer-producer Bryan Cogman had some insight, as well. “The seeds were planted early on in our minds,” Cogman said. “In the books, Sansa has very few chapters in the Vale once she’s up there. That was not going to be an option for one of our lead characters. While this is a very bold departure, [we liked] the power of bringing a Stark back to Winterfell and having her reunite with Theon under these circumstances.”

Besides, Cogman pointed out: “You have this storyline with Ramsay. Do you have one of your leading ladies—who is an incredibly talented actor who we’ve followed for five years and viewers love and adore—do it? Or do you bring in a new character to do it? To me, the question answers itself: You use the character the audience is invested in.”

M.Bluth

How is this remotely comparable to the really drastic changes they did to Tyrion's escape last season? I don't see how the relatively minor changes to how the execution scene was structured are somehow inexcusable.

Because there's no difference whatsoever in terms of time or budget in both cases...? That those changes, despite not being necessary, result in inferior scenes?

And the execution scene in the way it was in the books is an important step in Jon's character development, and it's simply more satisfying.

There's no chance this is in. It's certainly more than the 6/10 Sofie rated her scene.

Because there's no difference whatsoever in terms of time or budget in both cases...? That those changes, despite not being necessary, result in inferior scenes?

And the execution scene in the way it was in the books is an important step in Jon's character development, and it's simply more satisfying.

And it is here. There's no significant change with regards to character development.

Madness

I don't undrstand that reactions to sansa's storyline, we have known or at least expected that for months haven't we? and I like them honestly. it's leages better than all that BS with harry the heir, we can count ourselved lucky we don't have to watch that on TV.

however, I was displeased with slynts execution, because that is one of the very, very, few moments I actually liked in the whole of AFFC/ADWD. I just loved how jon wanted to have him hanged first but then remembered ned saying you should carry your sentence out yourself.
nod was fine

I do like the fact they reused the beheading music for Theon and then Robb for the scene. Instantly made me remember Ser Rodrik and Karstark beheadings. You're right though, having Sean Bean's voice in his head repeating the "man doing the sentencing should swing the sword" would have been an even nicer touch. That's one thing about the show, these small simple details they can do to tie in things they sometimes miss or don't care enough for.

M.Bluth

And it is here. There's no significant change with regards to character development.

Just because the end result is Janos' head rolling on the floor doesn't mean that's true. Changing his mind to execute him himself instead of deciding to do so right away like in the show is very different and is rather significant.

Just because the end result is Janos' head rolling on the floor doesn't mean that's true. Changing his mind to execute him himself instead of deciding to do so right away like in the show is very different and is rather significant.

The significance is the connection with Ned and the Starks and the visual storytelling in the show hammers that point home hard. We don't see Jon's internal monologue, and the show compensates for that fairly well here. Jon choosing the rope first and changing his mind is not important.

I do like the fact they reused the beheading music for Theon and then Robb for the scene. Instantly made me remember Ser Rodrik and Karstark beheadings. You're right though, having Sean Bean's voice in his head repeating the "man doing the sentencing should swing the sword" would have been an even nicer touch. That's one thing about the show, these small simple details they can do to tie in things they sometimes miss or don't care enough for.

A voice over would be ridiculously anvilicious even for this show. Even as is, the connection to Ned isn't subtle.

Patriots7

There's no chance this is in. It's certainly more than the 6/10 Sofie rated her scene.
“There were some things in this series that I was really disturbed by. “Just before the scene I was like ‘I don’t want to do this” but it’s my job so you’ve got to get on with it.’”
- Iwan Rheon

Considering the show makes it clear that he castrated Theon, it's got to be considerably worse to shock him.

I don't get why people don't like Harry the Heir arc. I like the fact that Littlefinger is attempting to secure the Vale through Sansa's marriage to Harry, before then trying to claim the North. Highlights the fact that he has a very loose claim to the Vale at the moment.

And I found the interaction between Sansa and Harry actually entertaining, dude is a simple manwhore.

Brakke

Banned
😓 lamenting no flashback voiceover from Ned what is this world how would that be a nice touch when does this show ever indulge in flashback voiceovers or internal monologues

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Jon choosing the rope first and changing his mind is not important.

But it was a nice moment - one that they chose to replace with nothing for no apparent reason. It's something that they've done time and time again on the show, and it only highlights their ineptitude at conveying, and also understanding the importance of, nuance.

Monocle

I thoroughly enjoyed this episode, which surprised me given all the ways it deviated from the books. It was full of good scenes that laid the groundwork for the juicy twists to come, with good performances all around. I loved Elizabeth Swann's daddy as the High Sparrow. The High Septon's brothel scene and walk of shame were glorious. And Cersei's barely veiled loathing for Margaery remains hilarious.

I think I'm actually OK with how the book events were condensed this time. It's good to see Sansa edging a little further down the path to vengeance, even if it is at Littlefinger's prompting. I really do hope to see her go all Lady Stoneheart on the Boltons and Lannisters, eventually. Her taking Jeyne's role could lead to some story issues, but I'm willing to wait and see how it plays out.

The latrine thing where Jon passes an opportunity to shame Thorne was nicely done, and Slynt's execution scene worked for me because for a moment Jon's reaction to his begging actually had me wondering what he was going to do. This show's aggressive departure from the books works in its favor sometimes, if only to deliver mild surprises to book readers. (A hazy memory of how things originally went down helps too.)

I'm curious to see the scene that got Iwan Rheon freaked out. Hopefully he was reacting to the twisted nature of his character's situation and not the type of crass gross-out effect this show springs on viewers every so often. That said, those flayed figures that were hoisted up in Winterfell were neat. Human Anatomy 101 with Reek & Friends.

VladTepes

Banned
This season is a fucking mess. It's like the exact opposite of Season 1 or 2, nothing is recognizable from the books aside from Jon cutting off Slynt's head or small moments elsewhere. They've cut out such massive amounts of material, all for the sake of simplicity and streamlining. I understand that they want to focus on the characters, but they've lost the sense of scale and sweep the books have achieved for it.

I'm just trying to enjoy the show as it's own thing, a high budget fanfiction loosely inspired by the best fantasy books since LotR, rather than an adaptation anymore. Sadly this season is probably going to spoil a lot of Winds of Winter, though.

Jigorath

Banned
This season is a fucking mess. It's like the exact opposite of Season 1 or 2, nothing is recognizable from the books aside from Jon cutting off Slynt's head or small moments elsewhere. They've cut out such massive amounts of material, all for the sake of simplicity and streamlining. I understand that they want to focus on the characters, but they've lost the sense of scale and sweep the books have achieved for it.

I'm just trying to enjoy the show as it's own thing, a high budget fanfiction loosely inspired by the best fantasy books since LotR, rather than an adaptation anymore. Sadly this season is probably going to spoil a lot of Winds of Winter, though.

It won't spoil anything from Winds of Winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom