• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolOff

I can't with the Kit-hate. He's been consistently growing since the start, and is now repeatedly delivering great performances.

Ratrat

Clarke has been fine at times. I thought she was great in the Yunkai freeing arc.
She's pretty decent half the time and has pulled off some of the more important scenes. I liked her in Season 1 & 3 the most. But at her worst she becomes embarrassing to watch.
I can't with the Kit-hate. He's been consistently growing since the start, and is now repeatedly delivering great performances.
His one face expression is mopey puppy. He's boring at best.

Moff

I agree that clarke is probably the biggest acting "problem" of the show. however I'm not really sure if her role really demands more at the moment. I was actually hoping they would rewrite her for seaon 5 and make her more mature than in the books, but they didn't. I hope she will mature and we'll see how clarke pulls it off.

Every thing these 2 morons do is with a eye towards "revenge" - Needle (according to them), This new Sansa atrocity, ect. With that being said, it's hilarious that they cut out the most revenge forward character in the entire book series.

Every thing these 2 morons do is with a eye towards "revenge" - Needle (according to them), This new Sansa atrocity, ect. With that being said, it's hilarious that they cut out the most revenge forward character in the entire book series.

139035361828.png

Sorry for the double post.

I was just praising Ewan's performance as Ramsay.

The guy had this face like he always does when he was conversing with his Father (Roose) right after skinning a couple of people then fast forward to meeting Sansa and he puts a facade of a comely guy

eot

Banned
kekili was not a main character, and I don't see her being much worse than weiners son on mad men.
I think GOT had it's fair share of splendid acting. too bad some of them are dead (tywin, the hound and joffrey) and others simply don't engage in exciting stuff anymore (theon, arya). so at that point, I really don't see exciting acting anymore. harrington has improved though, and as bad as clarke is, the show watchers think she is annoying, which is exactly how she is in the book. so mission accomplished I guess.

I don't think Arya's actor comes close to rating with the other ones you mentioned.

Madness

My show watcher friends keep asking me what Daenarys is still doing in Essos. I used to think the same thing when I hadn't read the books yet. Probably the worst storyline from the books for me is coming up for her. I'm just glad it seems like they'll end her arc this season on Drogon coming again but flying off with her this time when the Pits are opened.

Interesting seeing non book readers immediately pick up on the comparisons in leadership between Jon, Dany, and Cersei. They're really the main characters of the AFFC/ADWD act, they have the most chapters, and each arc is a different take on ruling . Each fail the game to varying degrees. At the start of ADWD it seemed like Jon was on quite a roll, only to be undone by the wildling issue (not to mention sending his most loyal men away). Seems pretty clear Ollie and perhaps Thorne will betray him.

Iksenpets

Banned
The only thing that I didn't really like here was the old lady's "The North Remembers", just because that's such a big book moment, turned into such a quiet little thing. I hope they're going to keep building on it so we can get something as cool as the Manderly scene later on.

Other than that it's all fine. I don't even think the changes are that drastic. Jaime, Sansa, and Brienne have been rewritten, but we all knew that at the very least Brienne and Sansa's plots in the book were unfilmably dull, so there were going to be changes. And the Jaime rewrite makes sense given how comparatively little the show is invested in Riverrun. Now sure, I wasn't expecting the changes to include Ramsay marrying Sansa, but it works. Littlefinger is still plotting a marriage that will let him use Sansa as the key to the North, and Roose is still plotting a marriage to get the Stark name and legitimacy. The details of the plan are definitely shaky, but once Littlefinger leaves and we can get past that I think it should be easier to accept, so long as they don't do anything overly horrible to Sansa.

Overall though, even though this has very few direct book scenes, it still pretty much feels like Feast and Dance.

I find it odd that people are complaining about some of the show plots and the acting of many series veterans but very few people are talking about how everything that's been shown or previewed of Dorne so far looks putrid. From Ellaria's horribly forced angry persona (and hair cut to go along with it) to the Sand Snakes' costumes. That to me, is by far the weakest looking link in the season thus far. Things could unfold and prove me wrong, and I hope they do, but so far its looking like too little too late.

Look at it from a show watcher standpoint. Five seasons in and we're getting an entirely new plot introduced. In the books it worked to some extent, but as far as the show goes, we're entering the end game and here we are with an entirely new plot and set of characters that thus far, don't look promising.

I mean yeah, clearly sansa for now is going to take the place of a victim yet again, but that doesn't mean she can't be a player in the last two seasons, right?

Moff

I mean yeah, clearly sansa for now is going to take the place of a victim yet again, but that doesn't mean she can't be a player in the last two seasons, right?

I hope she will play an important part in the bolton's downfall, as a player. It would be bad if this would turn out to be just filler content for her to replace a no name book character.

I'm also surprised that many of you think Sansa will once again play the victim. She will surely be involved in some terrible things that are about to happen with the Boltons around, Stannis riding for Winterfell and Brienne about to come charging in, but all that said, I think Sansa is going to put on a much different face through it all. Instead of crying and playing the victim, she will put on a brave face and and play her new "role" before ultimately playing a huge role in overthrowing and getting brutal revenge against the Boltons.

Apt101

The Snow/Slynt scene lost all of its impact without the "this is wrong" self deliberation. Edit: because it shows that at his roots he is a Stark and lives and dies by what his father taught him. It is a character-building moment that explains why he later does what he does. The way they made this scene - eh, throwaway.

Sansa marying Bolton? Wild departing from the books. Digging it.

Kain

Ahahahahahahaha so one of the most iconic moments of the books, "the north remembers" by the awesome Manderly, is ruined by a random woman in the worst possible plot ever conceived for the show. Now I know D&D are truly in charge.

At least the execution was well done. Kit is getting better, and better at being Jon Snow.

Ahahahahahahaha so one of the most iconic moments of the books, "the north remembers" by the awesome Manderly, is ruined by a random woman in the worst possible plot ever conceived for the show. Now I know D&D are truly in charge.

At least the execution was well done. Kit is getting better, and better at being Jon Snow.

To be fair we don't know whether a bannerman will take Manderly's place. There were rumors that the Greatjon was coming back but apparently that's not true.

Moff

eeeh, absolutely nothing in AFFC/ADWD comes close to being among the most iconic moments of the books, not even daznak's pit.

and I actually think it was pretty good that "the north remembers" is mentioned by a peasant/servant, it gave me the chills actually and I don't see how anything is ruined. I am sure it's not the last time we heard it.

I'm also surprised that many of you think Sansa will once again play the victim. She will surely be involved in some terrible things that are about to happen with the Boltons around, Stannis riding for Winterfell and Brienne about to come charging in, but all that said, I think Sansa is going to put on a much different face through it all. Instead of crying and playing the victim, she will put on a brave face and and play her new "role" before ultimately playing a huge role in overthrowing and getting brutal revenge against the Boltons.
I would be really happy if Sansa kills ramsay and then says "the north remembers".

I have a feeling that the northern banner men will rise up in season 6.

I like they're making Tommon a character. I hope Margary isn't playing him.

I'm pretty sure she is in some way.

I've always felt his weak acting earlier on has more to with the shit material he was given than lack of skill. For the first few seasons most of his scenes were either get yelled at and stand there and lack stupid, or get made fun of and stand there and look stupid. He did fine in the few scenes he had that weren't like that.

I think she was great in season 1 and 2, especially for her age. but after that we haven't seen anything outstanding.

I'd agree with this, with the one exception of the scene last night where she contemplated ditching Needle.

Kain

eeeh, absolutely nothing in AFFC/ADWD comes close to being among the most iconic moments of the books, not even daznak's pit.

and I actually think it was pretty good that "the north remembers" is mentioned by a peasant/servant, it gave me the chills actually and I don't see how anything is ruined. I am sure it's not the last time we heard it.

Theon's episodes, the Davos' one when Manderly says this, the walk of atonement, Jon's fake death, the epilogue... there are pretty great moments in ADWD for all the hate it gets.

In a AFFC all I can think is the letter burning and maybe the Kingsmoot once Euron owns the place.

hoos30

I find it odd that people are complaining about some of the show plots and the acting of many series veterans but very few people are talking about how everything that's been shown or previewed of Dorne so far looks putrid. From Ellaria's horribly forced angry persona (and hair cut to go along with it) to the Sand Snakes' costumes. That to me, is by far the weakest looking link in the season thus far. Things could unfold and prove me wrong, and I hope they do, but so far its looking like too little too late.

Look at it from a show watcher standpoint. Five seasons in and we're getting an entirely new plot introduced. In the books it worked to some extent, but as far as the show goes, we're entering the end game and here we are with an entirely new plot and set of characters that thus far, don't look promising.

We haven't seen enough of Dorne/Sand Snakes to complain about. Wait until next week.

The Dorne plot doesn't work in the books; here's hoping Jamie and Bronn can save it.

I've been liking the 'no fakes' policy of the show,

No fake-Hound, it's the Hound
No fake-Sansa, it's Sansa
No Fake-Arya

It's fine to me. No liking the changes is fine, but some people are starting to complain about where they think this is going before it happens.

hoos30

The Snow/Slynt scene lost all of its impact without the "this is wrong" self deliberation. Edit: because it shows that at his roots he is a Stark and lives and dies by what his father taught him. It is a character-building moment that explains why he later does what he does. The way they made this scene - eh, throwaway.

Sansa marying Bolton? Wild departing from the books. Digging it.

They used music and visual cues (thumping block of wood) to make the connection between Jon and his Starkness. The unsullied picked it up quite easily.

hiryu

I'm quite enjoying the show. The last two books were awful so any cuts the show makes can probably only improve the overall story.

eot

Banned
I've been liking the 'no fakes' policy of the show,

No fake-Hound, it's the Hound
No fake-Sansa, it's Sansa

It's fine to me. No liking the changes is fine, but some people are starting to complain about where they think this is going before it happens.

Not sure what you're referring to with these two lines. Gravedigger and Alayne?

Apt101

They used music and visual cues (thumping block of wood) to make the connection between Jon and his Starkness. The unsullied picked it up quite easily.

Off-camera audio wasn't enough. The exposition in the books mattered a lot for that scene.

gutshot

Damn, five seasons into this show and still there are people complaining that it isn't exactly like the books? Some of you all need a new hobby.

"She's a virgin inspect her if you wish"

Ehh she just rode from the Vale to Winterfell on horseback Baelish not sure that's going to indicate much lol

cLOUDo

i think the "ex girlfriend" is gonna do something to her,
that look in the episode was pure hate.

any news about the Hound?
is confirmed he's out or still there hope?

Brakke

Banned
You guys really griping about Clarke's acting after an ep she doesn't even appear in?

Yeah that was my read. I sort of expect "the north remembers" being whispered here and there as Sansa needs a bolster until it culminates in someone saying it right before popping off a Bolton head. Would be a great line to crescendo throughout. Even without that, though, I thought it was good nod to readers. Sansa on this crazy mission needs some reason to believe she still has power / influence, that playing the Stark card is a worthwhile thing to do. Readers know The North Remembers carries weight of vicious retribution, deploying it here should give us reason to be excited about the Stark in Winterfell. (Even though I always dismiss Sansa as a Stark; her direwolf is dead, what kind of Stark is she, really?)

Speevy

Banned
There have been three episodes and already there are at least three examples of characters saying the northerners are unhappy with the Boltons.

Something is going down. What that is is anyone's guess.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
"She's a virgin inspect her if you wish"

Ehh she just rode from the Vale to Winterfell on horseback Baelish not sure that's going to indicate much lol
You mean that 20 minute trip? At least I'm assuming it's that short seeing as how quickly the messenger from the Vale made the trip with the note from Cersei.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom