• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
Anyone else starting to think Olly is Azor Ahai?

Game-of-Thrones-game-of-thrones-37203904-500-281.gif

Speevy

Banned
You mean that 20 minute trip? At least I'm assuming it's that short seeing as how quickly the messenger from the Vale made the trip with the note from Cersei.

Littlefinger gave her his teleportation ring, the one that gets him around Westeros to talk to anyone in seconds.

and I actually think it was pretty good that "the north remembers" is mentioned by a peasant/servant, it gave me the chills actually and I don't see how anything is ruined. I am sure it's not the last time we heard it.

The phrase could have been said in a more subtle way or spoke it in a place where there are a lot less Bolton loyalists around. Who knows maybe that old lady is on Bolton's payroll.

Dysun

Losing 'fetch me a block' sucks, but the nod was on point. Ramsay/Sansa is no surprise at this point, the trailer showing her in the Winterfell crypts gave it away long ago. Best episode of the season so far, probably because Emilia Clarke is nowhere to be found.

Van Owen

Banned
Did Jon really have much of a relationship with Sansa in the books? He decision regarding the rescue when it was Arya had a lot more weight since they had a closer bond then he did with Sansa.

Euron

So Bowen Marsh has been cast right? When is he showing up? Or is he only going to be a background character with Olly stabbing Jon?

I think at this point we all know they'll have Thorne do it.

Dysun

Brienne's arc is almost as bad as the books, even with her being a radically different character and the circumstances completely altered as well. Impressive

Did Jon really have much of a relationship with Sansa in the books? He decision regarding the rescue when it was Arya had a lot more weight since they had a closer bond then he did with Sansa.

Hardly I think. Sansa see's Jon as a bastard nothing more. Kinda like how Catelyn treats Jon but Sansa does it gently and with more restraint.

Funny how it turned around when Sansa was in the Eyrie she suddenly misses Jon

We never see them interact. The closest we get is Sansa thinking of him after she starts pretending to be Alayne.

There have been three episodes and already there are at least three examples of characters saying the northerners are unhappy with the Boltons.

Something is going down. What that is is anyone's guess.

Agreed, it's really clear something will happen. Likewise all three episodes have mentioned greyscale, which seems to suggest something will happen with that as well. There's that weird passage in ADWD where Val says Shireen is unclean and that the disease isn't truly dormant. Plus the idea that Dany's "stone beast breathing shadow fire" vision could be about greyscale. Jon Connington isn't in the show but it wouldn't be hard to replace him with someone else. Jorah?

All signs point to [young Griff/Aegon] being cut. The end of this episode would seem to be the final nail in the coffin.
I found it odd they mentioned Stone Men/Greyscale so prominently. I wonder if that's going to be a thing even without Connington.

Not much it was just Davos asking Olly to recite the NW vows. Mostly he just nods and shakes his head and glares at people.
In the books, that was a "are wildlings not men?" moment, but here it emphasized "realms."

I found it odd they mentioned Stone Men/Greyscale so prominently. I wonder if that's going to be a thing even without Connington.

In the books, that was a "are wildlings not men?" moment, but here it emphasized "realms."

Yes, I think there was

As far as I can remember I think Jon was the one hammering those words down to his black brothers.

Ikael

We haven't seen enough of Dorne/Sand Snakes to complain about. Wait until next week.

The Dorne plot doesn't work in the books; here's hoping Jamie and Bronn can save it.

I don't have too much faith on it. Despite of loving 90% of the changes to the books, I have to admit that Dorne has the highest fuckup potential of them all due to the high concentration of cheese. Better brace ourselves for a Jaime - Sandsnake romance subplot replacing the Jaime - Brienne one *shudders*

Ahahahahahahaha so one of the most iconic moments of the books, "the north remembers" by the awesome Manderly, is ruined by a random woman in the worst possible plot ever conceived for the show. Now I know D&D are truly in charge.

At least the execution was well done. Kit is getting better, and better at being Jon Snow.

Well, the "North remembers" motto ought to be introduced early and in a low key fashion if you want to avoid the Winterfell pheasant uprising anhilating the boltons feeling like a deus ex machina :p

Sansa's "disturbing scene" aside, I feel that this particular show deviation is going to be all kinds of awesome. Bolton pie will be much more tasty than Frey pie. Believe!

I've been liking the 'no fakes' policy of the show,

No fake-Hound, it's the Hound
No fake-Sansa, it's Sansa
No Fake-Arya

It's fine to me. No liking the changes is fine, but some people are starting to complain about where they think this is going before it happens.

101% agree. Fake deaths and resurrections really cheapens the merit of comebacks. See also how everyone and their mother is expecting book Jon to be revived. Having Melissandre reviving him with no previous stoneheart warning will be the biggest show shock ever. If they can precede it with a Lyanna flashback via Bran connecting with the forest-Internet I am going to have a serious case of fangasm.

NeoGiff

So Bowen Marsh has been cast right? When is he showing up? Or is he only going to be a background character with Olly stabbing Jon?

I think at this point we all know they'll have Thorne do it.

I think it may have been him who spoke up for Denys Mallister last week. Although, I'm probably wrong.

Maybe Jorah the Explorah gets it? I don't know.

Kain

Only Bran has warged into something in the show, they have made it pretty clear that only he has the ability.

Maybe Arya will warg into the cat at the end of this season?

I don't have too much faith on it. Despite of loving 90% of the changes to the books, I have to admit that Dorne has the highest fuckup potential of them all due to the high concentration of cheese. Better brace ourselves for a Jaime - Sandsnake romance subplot replacing the Jaime - Brienne one *shudders*

Well, the "North remembers" motto ought to be introduced early and in a low key fashion if you want to avoid the Winterfell pheasant uprising anhilating the boltons feeling like a deus ex machina :p

Sansa's "disturbing scene" aside, I feel that this particular show deviation is going to be all kinds of awesome. Bolton pie will be much more tasty than Frey pie. Believe!

101% agree. Fake deaths and resurrections really cheapens the merit of comebacks. See also how everyone and their mother is expecting book Jon to be revived. Having Melissandre reviving him with no previous stoneheart warning will be the biggest show shock ever. If they can precede it with a Lyanna flashback via Bran connecting with the forest-Internet I am going to have a serious case of fangasm.

Well at least they took the time to show Berric and talk about him being revived. I don't think that point is lost on show watchers. Jon reviving won't be too much of a shock, at least not as much as him 'dying'.
The question I have is if he 'dies' or just gets hurt really badly in the show. I've always wondered...if The lord of light revives Jon, is he magically Azor Ahai? I mean will he basically just be a different person?

I would prefer that Jon Snow comes back to life, gets lightbringer (there's a huge HOW? there) and just continues as his own character with the new purpose of killing White Walkers.

Speevy

Banned
I think the showrunners made the right decision in not casting Wyman Manderly. They would have needed to bring him on earlier than this season for that to have any weight.

Any new characters from this point forward are going to look a bit extraneous to the contracting show universe.

I don't think people are complaining about the show being different, they're complaining about it just being bad.

Some of the things they've decided to change just don't make much sense, are just done poorly or don't have that same amount of impact some of the scenes in the books have.

I'm perfectly ok with changes if done well. But ehh, it's becoming more and more of a meh fan fic.

I think this quote stood out to me from catching up on this thread. It doesn't necessarily have to be you, but anyone who has a similar feeling. Can you explain this to me? What would it take to have you satisfied to have scenes and plots different from the books and NOT be bad or seen as a fanfic WHILE also understanding that a season has to cut down and streamline an entire book. We are on season 5 episode 3 and Tyrion has just met Jorah. I've grown to understand that him rolling with the Golden Company (or even throwing them out completely) is understandable.

People are too invested into the book to allow room for change. My personal opinion, I think that it's going to make your viewing this horrible. But at the same time, the new book won't be out this year so you have to force yourself to digest it because it's the only thing GOT related that new coming out and you don't want to be left out the loop if big things happen like Sansa and Ramsay.

And dare I say, GRRM might take some nods and cues from the TV series and implement them in the books.

So I think the likelihood of Jon Snow surviving is went up by a large margin. He has a reason to be a Stark now. A really GOOD reason. Sansa wasn't his favorite, but I think he'd want to save her life. He's going to ride with Mannis to sack Winterfell

Brienne and Pod is going with them as well. If what people are saying here is going to be believed, she going to want to fulfill her promise to Catlynn and be Sansa's sword.

I saw someone else use spoiler tags, didn't know if we should or shouldn't use them. I also wonder where does it place the Brotherhood Without Banners. Are they just written off the show? Now that Brienne has seen and know (relatively) where Sansa is, there's no need for Lady Stonehart.

eot

Banned
This guy in the non-reader thread is pretty on point:

I totally understand complaints about the show having become 'too slow', even though it's not that it's 'too slow' insomuch as it is 'too directionless' at the moment. But I think that that's what people mean when they say 'too slow'.

Season 1 had a clear narrative: The mystery of the death of the Hand, and the Starks journey to King's Landing and how they would fare. Would Ned succeed at overthrowing the incestuous Lannisters? That was the question. Most scenes moved this story on. The only truly isolated arc was Dany's.

Season 2 had a clear narrative: The fallout from Ned and Robert's deaths and the impending War of 5 Kings. That was something we knew would happen and almost every scene built towards it. The only truly isolated arc was Dany's. The wall stuff is now a bit isolated but we can still see how it would affect the realm.

Season 3 had a clear narrative: After Renly's death and Stannis's defeat, the Lannisters start to turn the tide against Robb. (And Robb's war still has a clear narrative thread through to season 1, as he continues his father's quest as it were.) The Tyrells are introduced as a rival to the Lannisters to keep things moving. Things are building up to a final battle or confrontation between the Lannisters and Starks, one that would shock people when it was subverted.

Season 4 is where thing started to get split up a lot: With Robb defeated, many characters were scattered to the wind and the idea of some central unifying plot that you could attach to was largely lost. The writers were very successful with introducing Oberyn and making his story one of the central ones of the season, with a full conclusion to his character's arc. Also, we are looking foward to a huge battle on the wall from the start of the season. Between Oberyn and the Wall, there are at least two 'big' storylines to follow.

As for Season 5, what is the focus of this show at the moment? The truth is that there isn't one. We're following these characters because we still care about them, but there doesn't seem to be anything of any major, world-affecting importance about to happen, and the characters are all wildly separated and disparate. The fate of Arya Stark, for example, has absolutely no bearing on Westeros at this moment in time, and yet the show is devoting her considerable minutes.

Most seasons you could say 'I can't wait until "x" happens', but in this season it feels like a full reset of the board.

I have no problem with watching character based episodes but the purpose of the narrative appears to have been lost for the moment. I have no idea where they're going with it right now.

This part of the books feels somewhat aimless, and the show is not helped by some of the things they cut (like fAegon).

This part of the books feels somewhat aimless, and the show is not helped by some of the things they cut (like fAegon).

The show feels aimless because the books were aimless.

It will start feeling aimful as Stannis marching to Winterfell becomes clearer.

-griffy-

Banned
The show feels aimless because the books were aimless.

It will start feeling aimful as Stannis marching to Winterfell becomes clearer.

Exactly. The show is even way more focused than these books are because they can do things like cut directly from Cersei and Jaime talking about Tyrion to Tyrion and Varys talking about Dany to Dany. They can do an entire episode focusing on the remaining Stark children (minus Bran) all thematically linked with the idea of vengeance and identity. Luxuries books 4&5 simply don't have due to structure.

It's true there isn't an immediate goal for the season, but at this point in the show and the books it's setting things up for the series end game rather than the isolated book/season end game.

Moff

you really think keeping faegon would have helped? I very much disagree. I think D&D change so much because that aimlessness is exactly what they want to avoid for the show, which is why they are bringing characters together early.

I don't see how this season is appreciably different from the first few episodes of most of the series. Season 1 is the only season that really had a strong clear narrative, every other one suffered from the same bouts of directionlessness. He's using the benefit of hindsight because he already knows where all the previous seasons ended up after all the build.

-griffy-

Banned
I don't see how this season is appreciably different from the first few episodes of most of the series. Season 1 is the only season that really had a strong clear narrative, every other one suffered from the same bouts of directionlessness.

This is also true, and it's something we hear at the beginning of almost every season. Season 3 specifically I remember people complaining about how slow and aimless things were, only for the Red Wedding to blindside people and make the preceding episodes kind of snap into focus in hindsight. "Oh, when this character did that it was setting up this..."

Just finished watching ep3. The change are interesting and I can see why D&D made them. Its still too early in the season to made judgements and its setting up the overall season plot IMO. Personally I dont mind the changes since they cut out alot of pointless things from the books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom