• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dysun

They're all different characters, as the show isn't the books. TV Cersei isn't a temptress nor is she as manipulative.

Of course, but there are some characters that I feel truly are their book version brought to life on the show. Joffrey, Varys, Roose, Ned, and even Stannis aside from the one lustful scene in Season 3.
It's not necessarily a bad thing, but hard to separate the two

NeoGiff

Agree so much. I could never pick an absolute favorite (I think Alfie Allen is as good as her, if not the best given the right material), but Lena is absolutely amazing.

edit: That scene with Margaery this week really was indicative of everything Lena brings to the table, from the overall passive aggressiveness, to especially the barely noticeable facial expressions (especially the quick look of surprise and resignation when Marg goes to hug her the first time).

Her facial expressions are the best, both for gif-bait and for bringing nuance to a scene.

I think Charles Dance and Diana Rigg have stolen the show for me, but Lena Heady certainly is high up there.
Liam Cunningham, David Bradley, Conleth Hill, Pedro Pascal, Jack Gleeson and Harry Lloyd who, in my opinion, should get the award for being the most underrated actor on the show, are also top tier.

Also, I hope we'll get more Roger Ashton-Griffiths. I just love him as Mace Tyrell. So good.

Really? I think the writing for his character has been utter shit. He is literally unbelievable as the head of the House Tyrell. And it's not helped by the fact that Ashton-Griffiths doesn't have a clue where he is or what he's doing 99% of the time.

Also, while I'm in my nofunallowed.jpg mood, I might as well say that I think Dinklage is very overrated. Yes, he's very good (and was at his best in Season 2 - carrying the show at some points), but he's not as good as many say he is.

He may be overrated (I agree) but he is great. Not sure where else they would have found a better actor for the role he has to play.

We are also forgetting sexy Jamie.

Of course, but there are some characters that I feel truly are their book version brought to life on the show. Joffrey, Varys, Roose, Ned, and even Stannis aside from the one lustful scene in Season 3.
It's not necessarily a bad thing, but hard to separate the two

I think Varys in the books is much more ambiguous about whether he has good intentions or not, and don't forget that he's constantly in different disguises too. But yeah, I think he's well-performed on the show even if he's quite different.

Just saw the second episode. I know they're different characters and all, but I really don't like the changes they've made to what people do. Like it was bad enough that Stannis was more than ready to welcome Mance back with open arms if he bent the knee (the man broke the oath of the night's watch!), but now we have Ellaria Sand filling in for Arianne when basically she was the only Dornish person with any good sense in the books? Meh. Stannis has been on character assassination watch since Season 2, but now the stuff he's doing on the show doesn't even make sense with what he's done on the show before! Why would everyone hate Stannis for being such a stickler with the rules when now he's just ready to accept Mance? Why would Stannis cut off Davos's fingers when he just doesn't give a shit? Normally when the show has Stannis act like the devil for some reason Davos speaks out too, but Davos seems okay with it.

#NotMyStannis

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Also, while I'm in my nofunallowed.jpg mood, I might as well say that I think Dinklage is very overrated. Yes, he's very good (and was at his best in Season 2 - carrying the show at some points), but he's not as good as many say he is.

I have personally soured on Peter Dinklage over the years, but I still think he was good in Season 3, at least during his wedding.

Joffery's actor though was probably my favorite of the whole show, though, as playing the pompous ass.

Kain

He may be overrated (I agree) but he is great. Not sure where else they would have found a better actor for the role he has to play.

We are also forgetting sexy Jamie.

Jaime was at his best in season 3, when there was actual good writing for his character (that coincidentally or not he had most of his lines borrowed from the books). With the bad writing he has now he can't do anything.

Jaime was at his best in season 3, when there was actual good writing for his character (that coincidentally or not he had most of his lines borrowed from the books). With the bad writing he has now he can't do anything.

I think he was great in S4 too. Because he didn't have the kind of content to work with that he had in S3 it was never going to be at the same level.

Just saw the second episode. I know they're different characters and all, but I really don't like the changes they've made to what people do. Like it was bad enough that Stannis was more than ready to welcome Mance back with open arms if he bent the knee (the man broke the oath of the night's watch!), but now we have Ellaria Sand filling in for Arianne when basically she was the only Dornish person with any good sense in the books? Meh. Stannis has been on character assassination watch since Season 2, but now the stuff he's doing on the show doesn't even make sense with what he's done on the show before! Why would everyone hate Stannis for being such a stickler with the rules when now he's just ready to accept Mance? Why would Stannis cut off Davos's fingers when he just doesn't give a shit? Normally when the show has Stannis act like the devil for some reason Davos speaks out too, but Davos seems okay with it.

#NotMyStannis
To be fair, the books have also had Stannis go back on his principles repeatedly (see: anything involving Melisandre) for the purpose of winning his ambitions.

To be fair, the books have also had Stannis go back on his principles repeatedly (see: anything involving Melisandre) for the purpose of winning his ambitions.

It's never that bad though, and normally it's something Mel involved like you said, so he thinks he's helping the whole world because he honestly thinks he's the savior of the world. It's okay to kill Renly because he's treasonous, it's okay to kill his wife's family members because they're heretics (and treasonous I suppose), etc. Unless I'm completely forgetting something, allowing someone like Mance to survive in any situation is completely out of character for Stannis, that's why Mel doesn't even tell him about what she does in the books.

Like it always seemed like everything he did was because he felt he needed to be a good King. He didn't team up with Robb because it would result in a loss of his kingdom. He killed all the Kings because they were traitors. He uses Mel because if what she says is true he needs to be the savior of the realm, and even if what she says isn't true, he needs her power to rule. Not because he wants to, but because it's his job as rightful ruler.

There's not even a good reason to think he ever thought of becoming king if not for Jon Arryn figuring out Goff was a bastard.

Kain

I think he was great in S4 too. Because he didn't have the kind of content to work with that he had in S3 it was never going to be at the same level.

Yep, 4 was ok too, but it was an indicator of his downfall as a cool character.

Book Jaime realized he was a fool and that he had more to offer than a sword hand a pretty face and that he should start to look out for his family. TV Jaime did too, that part was well done, but BJ (lol) retained most of his pride even if he was humbled by everything that had happened to him, he just redirected that pride to other more useful things like ruling the fucking kingdom (seriously, he would be a great hand, but Varys would kill him if he dared). TJ got lost on the way and he is just moping around being Cersei's bitch. Nope, I'm not seeing the letter this season. At the moment. Maybe he will wake up in Dorne (I really hope so).

Moff

bearded jamie was fantastic, I think he definitely was the fan favourite in season 3, waldau really delivered. I agree that his arc only got worse after that. I didn't like it in the books either, but as I said earlier, this whole rescue operation in dorne just seems so silly and forced.

CassSept

I think Charles Dance and Diana Rigg have stolen the show for me, but Lena Heady certainly is high up there.
Liam Cunningham, David Bradley, Conleth Hill, Pedro Pascal, Jack Gleeson and Harry Lloyd who, in my opinion, should get the award for being the most underrated actor on the show, are also top tier.

Also, I hope we'll get more Roger Ashton-Griffiths. I just love him as Mace Tyrell. So good.

Some of your choices are weird. Isn't Conleth Hill's portrayal of Varys universally considered perfect? Wasn't Pedro Pascal fan favorite last season? Jack Gleeson was really well received too, especially with how affable person he is according to pretty much everyone who met him.

Really? I think the writing for his character has been utter shit. He is literally unbelievable as the head of the House Tyrell. And it's not helped by the fact that Ashton-Griffiths doesn't have a clue where he is or what he's doing 99% of the time.

Didn't Olenna describe Mace as a pompous doofus in the books? Once a great man, sure, but Robert was a great warrior in his youth too.

I'd agree with Dinklage though. He has his moments but he is not nearly as good as he was in early seasons.

Mr Git

Lena Heady is absolutely the best on the show, she steals just about every scene. I have great love for Charles Dance he was also brilliant. I'd always spot which actors/actresses were my absolute favourite as I'd be completely still/silent and absorb the scene. I wasn't keen on Dormer as Maergery at all at first but she's warmed on me, especially that scene in the latest episode (with Cersei). It takes a couple of series to get over some casting decisions I think.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
bearded jamie was fantastic, I think he definitely was the fan favourite in season 3, waldau really delivered. I agree that his arc only got worse after that. I didn't like it in the books either, but as I said earlier, this whole rescue operation in dorne just seems so silly and forced.

Pretty much this. In the first two seasons, he's just kind of there, the same as in the books. Than in Book 3 with his own viewpoint, he becomes a great character, similar to how Season 3 was. However a lot of Jamie's best stuff in book 4 is internal. I hope they can get his character back on track.

I do wonder who might be the fan favorite for Season 5. I have a few guesses maybe Stannis or Maragery.

I really don't think she'll be tortured. At least not physically. This isn't a fake pretending to be a stark this is literally a stark and the key to the north. If Roose and LF are working together then it doesn't make sense to just let Ramsay torture her and if Roose says something Ramsay will obey. And I think Ramsay might not want to risk anything especially after Roose told him he royally fucked up by torturing Theon.

I hope so but then what is your theory on the uncomfortable scene that was hard to film?

-griffy-

Banned
I do wonder who might be the fan favorite for Season 5. I have a few guesses maybe Stannis or Maragery.
I think Jon Snow is an early contender. His arc has already had the most immediate fan-friendly drama in the first three episodes, and his stuff seemed to get a good reaction last episode. Him leading an attack at Hardhome (that will seemingly be THE BIG action scene this year) and then getting betrayed in episode 9/10 could seal the deal. And supposedly there's gonna be quite a bit of him throughout the season. I think he said this was the first year he had more time on the call sheets than Peter Dinklage.

I hope so but then what is your theory on the uncomfortable scene that was hard to film?

Rape would fit the bill for an uncomfortable scene that was hard to film. It wasn't really frowned upon between a husband and wife in medieval societies, and so Roose would probably be fine with Ramsay raping Sansa as opposed to torturing her through traditional Bolton flaying/whatnot.

As to how it all happens, that's up for speculation, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if the scene is of sexual nature that directly involve Sansa.

Rape would fit the bill for an uncomfortable scene that was hard to film. It wasn't really frowned upon between a husband and wife in medieval societies, and so Roose would probably be fine with Ramsay raping Sansa as opposed to torturing her through traditional Bolton flaying/whatnot.

As to how it all happens, that's up for speculation, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if the scene is of sexual nature that directly involve Sansa.

:(
sounds about right.

Just no torturing or beating of her. I would be legit pissed.

Could be Myranda or Theon related. I wouldn't be surprised if Ramsay did something terrible to one of them in front of Sansa to show his power or some shit. Or he could make her do something terrible to them.

"Hey honey watch me rape Myranda, it'll be so much fun. "

Could be Myranda or Theon related. I wouldn't be surprised if Ramsay did something terrible to one of them in front of Sansa to show his power or some shit. Or he could make her do something terrible to them.

"Hey honey watch me rape Myranda, it'll be so much fun. "

Yeah I heard that in his voice.

I think Ramsay will turn on Myranda probably because she'll be nagging Ramsay and he'll make Sansa watch as he does it and Theon will be there as an audience/participant as well.

He's probably not gonna lay a finger on Sansa since it'll cause a riot amongst the houses that are still loyal to the Starks.

Seems odd that the show didn't include Robb's
Will

Iksenpets

Banned
Count me in board for Team Dinklage-is-Overrated. It's not that he's ever bad, but sometime he feels like he's acting too hard.

I like joke Mace though. I dont really care about Mace enough as a character to be bothered by the change, and it's believable that the family may just have a doofus dad whose mother has to run everything for him.

Ratrat

He's probably not gonna lay a finger on Sansa since it'll cause a riot amongst the houses that are still loyal to the Starks.
He doesn't care. At best he needs an heir off her before she becomes useless to him. Unless she can pull a Margaery and pretend to be impressed with his flaying bastard ass, she will find him just as unpleasant as everyone else.

bengraven

Peter's accent hasn't gotten much better. If he could act in his native tongue or pull off a better English accent you would see the quality he has.

I was, in all seriousness, gonna post this. Imagine she's a bitter ex-bedwarmer from Winterfell who Ramsay picked up when he sacked the castle.

This is exactly what I came to post. I was thinking on that whole "friend" thing for a while.

tumblr_nnh0expfWO1s7e58wo1_540.gif

Was posted in the other thread.

So, that gif runs like shit in Chrome for me. The funny part is that the nod is so subtle, if it skips a frame, you miss the nod and his head doesn't move until he turns.

foxtrot3d

Banned
WFT8dwF.jpg

So are the Black Walls of Volantis really not in the TV show or are my eyes weak?

I also always pictured the Hosue of Bkack and White like below. NOT, that I am suggesting the show should or could in anyway blow their budget on such an elaborate set piece.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I also always pictured the Hosue of Bkack and White like below. NOT, that I am suggesting the show should or could in anyway blow their budget on such an elaborate set piece.
I envisioned it somewhat similar to that. Quite dark, quite vast, and quite empty.

Some of your choices are weird. Isn't Conleth Hill's portrayal of Varys universally considered perfect? Wasn't Pedro Pascal fan favorite last season? Jack Gleeson was really well received too, especially with how affable person he is according to pretty much everyone who met him.

You misunderstood. I didn't mean all those actors should get the underrated actor award, I meant that Lloyd should. Viserys was portrayed perfectly. I couldn't have asked for a better Viserys in the show. But everybody just forgets Lloyd's performance when listing their favorite actors.

CassSept

You misunderstood. I didn't mean all those actors should get the underrated actor award, I meant that Lloyd should. Viserys was portrayed perfectly. I couldn't have asked for a better Viserys in the show. But everybody just forgets Lloyd's performance when listing their favorite actors.

Oh right, sorry, actor not actors.

I guess it's simply because he was for so short in the show and at the very beginning too. Mark Addy rarely gets mentioned in these conversations and he was a perfect Robert. Like, it's dubious any other actor could fit the part as well.

Forkball

One strange exclusion no one has mentioned: there has been no mention about Shae from anyone in King's Landing this season. I mean, she was in Tywin's bed when she died like the book. In AFFC, Cersei personally goes up to the Tower of the Hand and sees her corpse. I guess they just threw her in a ditch somewhere off screen.

Madness

So much for winter is coming. We're almost to the end of book 5 stuff in the show and yet we still don't have winter anywhere beyond the wall. I mean by ADWD and AFFC, most of the North has already started to get a lot of snow. I get its tougher because of actors and the show, but like last season, Tormund and his team were on the South of the wall, directly within a mile of castle black and it was all green hills and fields.

I bet they're trying to hold it off as much as possible, but it's time Winter actually came to Westeros.

Tuffty

One strange exclusion no one has mentioned: there has been no mention about Shae from anyone in King's Landing this season. I mean, she was in Tywin's bed when she died like the book. In AFFC, Cersei personally goes up to the Tower of the Hand and sees her corpse. I guess they just threw her in a ditch somewhere off screen.

It wouldn't do Tywin's reputation any good if the people found out he was fucking his son's whore on the side. They probably made up a story on how he was murdered to give to the public but I don't recall the show mentioning it.

Prine

Banned
HOLY SHIT just watch ep3, that was the kindest episode to the Starks for a LONG while, i almost cried when Sansa entered Winterfell, and the old maid said 'Welcome back, Lady Stark. The north remembers". No joke, i almost teared up. And then Jon Snow following the lesson taught by his father, just like Rob before him, god damn amazing. So much focus on them im loving season 5 so far.

I cannot stand Bolton, the North remembers as do i, fuck him and his son. But, i know whatever happens, the Starks will be dealt another blow :( I feel its going to hurt deep this season.

Madness

HOLY SHIT just watch ep3, that was the kindest episode to the Starks for a LONG while, i almost cried when Sansa entered Winterfell, and the old maid said 'Welcome back, Lady Stark. The north remembers". No joke, i almost teared up. And then Jon Snow following the lesson taught by his father, just like Rob before him, god damn amazing. So much focus on them im loving season 5 so far.

I cannot stand Bolton, the North remembers as do i, fuck him and his son. But, i know whatever happens, the Starks will be dealt another blow :( I feel its going to hurt deep this season.

112949-Ramsay-Snow-gif-if-you-think-t-FDZX.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom