• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Git

Neither Tommen or Bran are 8 on the show. All the kid characters were aged up at the start, and they've obviously been growing as time is passing in real life and the show timeline.

I know they were all aged up - it'd have been pretty difficult to film most of the series otherwise, but just Tommen feels particularly young. Not just his appearance, but his lines too. I know it's intentional but it didn't stop it being uncomfortable.

Faddy

Banned
I'm reading all this Sansa outrage and shaking my head. She does nothing after ASoS. Even in the preview chapter from Winds she is still the same vapid child she always was. She may be more sympathetic towards Jon after her experiences but she is sitting around in the Vale waiting for other people to do something.

The show has actually forced her to make decisions and do things for herself. Littlefinger is still driving her but he has told her she needs to do things if she wants the world to give her justice and be a better place.

In the books she is eventually going to leave the Vale and go North, it has been her most wanted thought only distracted when she thought the Tyrell's could wrest her from Cersei and to Highgarden.

I quite like the fact that she is not undercover as Alayne, it makes much more sense for the show rather than her brooding as an inconsequential character. She was also the one who made the choice to reveal herself. Once she told the Lords Declarent I think we can assume Baelish knew the cat was out the bag and story would get out. No matter how honourable they seem, somehow spies are everywhere.

Also Littlefinger thumbing his nose at Cersei isn't exactly poking the Lion as it were since she has no army without Kevan and Baelish already has an alliance with the Tyrell's securing Marge's crown and planning Joffrey's murder. Cersei has no spies with Varys departed. She has no wealth to pay sellswords either with Lannister mines unproductive and the Iron Bank having backed Stannis it would seem imprudent to pay soldiers on both sides of a war.

Of course Cersei isn't that stupid and not blind to her lack of power which is why she lowered herself to meet the Sparrows even if she is not a pious person she will try and co-opt their power. I think that is a rather good portrayal of Cersei, she is desperate to maintain her royal power that she is always thinking of the short term.

I am looking forward to the culmination of the North plot with Brienne, Stannis, Littlefinger, the Boltons and Sansa. There are a lot of ways it could work out. Also interesting to see how/if Varys and Jorah interact. Did Varys plan this meeting? Tyrion is so obvious that kidnapping him in a brothel could be easily arranged. If Varys is truly for Dany, he tipped Jorah to the wine merchant even if it wasn't explicit he knew Jorah had fallen for her, is he helping Jorah get back in her good graces and making sure Tyrion makes it to Mereen. It is all very interesting now we have moved off the page.

cLOUDo

since when
Theon is an "old friend" to sansa?
i even remember a dialogue between them

btw is the Brotherhood Without Banners cut too?

hoos30

The SanSay changes are a bit bewildering, honestly. But the post-coital Margaery and Tommen scene was just uncomfortable. I don't remember them banging in the books? Isn't he about 8?

That's why they aged him and all of the other young characters up in the show. 12+ is perfectly legal in this show-world.

hoos30

since when

They were not. But they grew up in the same house. That's close enough for an episode summary.

Any chance Aemon's
last
words to Jon would be on the show?

"
You will have little joy of your command, but I think you have the strength in you to do the things that must be done. Kill the boy, Jon Snow. Winter is almost upon us. Kill the boy and let the man be born
"

Van Owen

Banned
I know they were all aged up - it'd have been pretty difficult to film most of the series otherwise, but just Tommen feels particularly young. Not just his appearance, but his lines too. I know it's intentional but it didn't stop it being uncomfortable.

Think how weird it would be if they didn't recast him.

Massa

The SanSay changes are a bit bewildering, honestly. But the post-coital Margaery and Tommen scene was just uncomfortable. I don't remember them banging in the books? Isn't he about 8?

Eh there are far more uncomfortable sex scenes with children in the books.

Mr Git

Eh there are far more uncomfortable sex scenes with children in the books.

Very true, but due to the ages changing weren't as striking. That or omitted completely. I'm not saying the books are a haven from uncomfortable viewing/reading - this was just unexpected, and visually noticeable (Dormer is over twice his age) - hence why I was a bit startled.

Partition

Banned
since when

The problem I have with that is

In the ep summary right before that, it says "Sansa tries to talk to Theon". Why would it refer his name as Theon in their relationship in the episode before, then suddenly he is "old friend"? The only options to me is that in ep7 she resolves any issues she has with Theon, and he is her friend by ep8. That or, it's not Theon at all in ep8....... LSH believe.

Massa

The problem I have with that is

In the ep summary right before that, it says "Sansa tries to talk to Theon". Why would it refer his name as Theon in their relationship in the episode before, then suddenly he is "old friend"? The only options to me is that in ep7 she resolves any issues she has with Theon, and he is her friend by ep8. That or, it's not Theon at all in ep8....... LSH believe.

Plot twist: Myranda is actually Jeyne Poole.

I find it weird that people dislike that the show has made Cersei a greyer character rather than the cartoonishly insane and evil one from the books. She's way more interesting as a thoroughly hatable overprotective mom.

eot

Banned
Yeah I wanna say that Cersei posted guards outside his room or something.
He's about Bran's age so 8ish.

He's young enough that he isn't aware what he's putting his royal seal on. I think there's a line somewhere in the books that he likes stamping documents. They just put whatever they want passed in front of him and it's done.

Faddy

Banned
Why does no one care that Gendry was in the latest episode.

DWmh4Fr.png

Like it couldn't be clearer, well it could if someone could get the HD version of the left picture.

Everyone is like where is Gendry D&D don't care, he is still rowing etc. Well there he is. A Sparrow. And no one has noticed.

-griffy-

Banned

DWmh4Fr.png

Like it couldn't be clearer, well it could if someone could get the HD version of the left picture.

Everyone is like where is Gendry D&D don't care, he is still rowing etc. Well there he is. A Sparrow. And no one has noticed.

I can't tell if you're joking. That's clearly not him. And they showed that scene being filmed in the Day in the Life behind the scenes thing before the season started that makes it even more clear:
OZXZ2eZ.png

Speevy

Banned

DWmh4Fr.png

Did you read my post at all?

Speevy

Banned
Olly will pass the sentence, swing the sword, then bring Jon back. He'll also warg into Stannis, being a level 10 warg.

eot

Banned

DWmh4Fr.png

Dude, they're clearly different people.

Man, what a great bit of speculation on Reddit. Someone on there thinks that if Littlefinger ends up having to go back to KL on the request of Cersei, he won't be ABLE to return to Winterfell because the Sparrows are gonna take him prisoner for running a brothel (remember this past week when they busted in, and the pimp yelled "this place is run by Petyr Baelish!").

If this happens, he's totally going to sell Cersei out to the High Sparrows in place place of Osney, and maybe he even gets killed?

link

Moff

Man, what a great bit of speculation on Reddit. Someone on there thinks that if Littlefinger ends up having to go back to KL on the request of Cersei, he won't be ABLE to return to Winterfell because the Sparrows are gonna take him prisoner for running a brothel (remember this past week when they busted in, and the pimp yelled "this place is run by Petyr Baelish!").

If this happens, he's totally going to sell Cersei out to the High Sparrows in place place of Osney, and maybe he even gets killed?

link
no way littlefinger gets killed, he is endgame.
but the rest sounds very plausible, his name was dropped in the last episode, good catch

Tabris

So I've never read the books - just read wiki of ice and fire summaries.

Is the show starting to diverge from the books quite a bit or still in line? I know there were new book spoilers last year around the ice king guy, but anything this season so far? Is Bran's story the only one caught up from the books?

link

Can't believe we never got no Kettleblacks up in this shit. Who doesn't love those guys? Which one is your alls favorite? They're all so different, and the several times I've read through the story I've never had any problem keeping track of which was which. I don't know who I'd pick.

Really liking this exchange, Margaery is really feisty, taking advantage now that Cersei is not the Queen any more.
I thought Headey did a great job in this scene. She's really off-balance and you can see the power shift. I think Margaery is going to be the one to cause her downfall with the High Sparrow and they'll drop the storyline where Cersei accuses Margaery and her maids.
Great acting.

NeoGiff

I thought Headey did a great job in this scene. She's really off-balance and you can see the power shift. I think Margaery is going to be the one to cause her downfall with the High Sparrow and they'll drop the storyline where Cersei accuses Margaery and her maids.

Great acting.

I honestly think Lena is the best actor/actress in the show.

Moff

there are some actors which I consider more than perfect for their role, meaning they don't just match perfectly, but actually make their characters much more interesting. this happened to me for theon, tywin, bronn, jaqen and cersei, too. D&D deserve certainly some praise, too. I'm not sure I'll be happy with book cersei again.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so is zombie kat not going to be on the show?

Griss

Great acting.

I thought that conversation was effective at showing that Margaery has suddenly become a little over-confident. She's queen, she nearly has control of Tommen, the Lannisters are fading - she thinks that she's made it, that she has arrived at the destination. So she unloads on Cersei in a way she wouldn't have before she was Queen. She has never been so brazen before. Even Cersei is a bit shocked, though she hides it.

I don't know, I don't think it's wise. She has Cersei beaten in the game all ends up as Tommen will always side with her over his mother long-term, so now is the time to play it a little cooler and just let things settle. Play Cersei the way Jon played Aliser in the same episode, subverting the expected humiliation of a defeated rival with newfound respect. Her arrogance could end up getting her killed. You've never 'made it' in the world of game of thrones.

I honestly think Lena is the best actor/actress in the show.

Agree so much. I could never pick an absolute favorite (I think Alfie Allen is as good as her, if not the best given the right material), but Lena is absolutely amazing.

edit: That scene with Margaery this week really was indicative of everything Lena brings to the table, from the overall passive aggressiveness, to especially the barely noticeable facial expressions (especially the quick look of surprise and resignation when Marg goes to hug her the first time).

I think Charles Dance and Diana Rigg have stolen the show for me, but Lena Heady certainly is high up there.
Liam Cunningham, David Bradley, Conleth Hill, Pedro Pascal, Jack Gleeson and Harry Lloyd who, in my opinion, should get the award for being the most underrated actor on the show, are also top tier.

Also, I hope we'll get more Roger Ashton-Griffiths. I just love him as Mace Tyrell. So good.

Real Hero

So I've never read the books - just read wiki of ice and fire summaries.

Is the show starting to diverge from the books quite a bit or still in line? I know there were new book spoilers last year around the ice king guy, but anything this season so far? Is Bran's story the only one caught up from the books?
Plot wise it is diverging quite a bit, character wise its been quite different for awhile.

Please don't hurt Sansa.

Please.
I really don't think she'll be tortured. At least not physically. This isn't a fake pretending to be a stark this is literally a stark and the key to the north. If Roose and LF are working together then it doesn't make sense to just let Ramsay torture her and if Roose says something Ramsay will obey. And I think Ramsay might not want to risk anything especially after Roose told him he royally fucked up by torturing Theon.

kirblar

I really don't think she'll be tortured. At least not physically. This isn't a fake pretending to be a stark this is literally a stark and the key to the north. If Roose and LF are working together then it doesn't make sense to just let Ramsay torture her and if Roose says something Ramsay will obey. And I think Ramsay might not want to risk anything especially after Roose told him he royally fucked up by torturing Theon.
Yeah, I think it's a deliberate contrast between Roose/Ramsay and Cersei/Joffrey- Roose is teaching Ramsay to not shit where he eats.

I think Charles Dance and Diana Rigg have stolen the show for me, but Lena Heady certainly is high up there.
Liam Cunningham, David Bradley, Conleth Hill, Pedro Pascal, Jack Gleeson and Harry Lloyd who, in my opinion, should get the award for being the most underrated actor on the show, are also top tier.

Also, I hope we'll get more Roger Ashton-Griffiths. I just love him as Mace Tyrell. So good.

Err...missing...someone. What's his face...oh yea Peter Dinklage

Nm3sfus.gif

I will also add (using character names):
Stannis, Mance (with material given to him), Melisandre, Ned Stark, Shireen.

I am sure I am forgetting others too.

Dysun

Lena is a great actress but I don't buy her as book-Cersei, the book version is too ingrained in my mind. Much like Ciaran Hinds as Mance Rayder, she's almost a different character to me
This also goes for Brienne and some others with different characterization, she would never have that conversation with Robert in Season 1 for example

Lena is a great actress but I don't buy her as book-Cersei, the book version is too ingrained in my mind. Much like Ciaran Hinds as Mance Rayder, she's almost a different character to me

They're all different characters, as the show isn't the books. TV Cersei isn't a temptress nor is she as manipulative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom