• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's almost nothing pointing to Jon being Lyanna's son in the show, if they are talking about it it's because they've read about it online or have read aGoT.

I agree. None of my unsullied friends care about the identity of Jon's mom nor do they even remember anything about L.

Real Hero

Honestly, I feel like that's true for the books, too.

I don't. In the books Rhaeager feels like a character and it's clear how important he is in terms of where the story starts. I don't think the show has ever bothered with that, which is fine but it won't be if they try and make Jon's parentage feel like a huge reveal.

Paganmoon

I hope Jon's mother is a random woman. He is better as a bastard and not as some destined Cinderella-like prince imo.

If it turns out Jon is not the spawn of R + L, I'll chalk it up to GRRM changing his mind after he noticed how popular that theory was and that maybe he wasn't as clever in hiding it as he thought. (And I'd be thoroughly pissed about it)

These are the characters currently alive on the show who may know Jon isn't Ned's.

-Varys
-Littlefinger
-Barristan Selmy
-Maester Aemon
-Cersei
-Jaime
-Pycelle
-Any character with the power of visions, like Bran
-Any random character who shows up for no damn reason to tell him.

I don't believe any of them would know it. Howland Reed is the obvious person who knows Jon's parentage. Wylla would be the second. I'd imagine that the other handmaidens in the tower know as well. Finally I wouldn't be shocked if someone from Starfall knows as well.

If Varys knew he'd have made a move IMO. He probably has or had suspicions though.

I don't believe any of them would know it. Howland Reed is the obvious person who knows Jon's parentage. Wylla would be the second. I'd imagine that the other handmaidens in the tower know as well. Finally I wouldn't be shocked if someone from Starfall knows as well.

If Varys knew he'd have made a move IMO. He probably has or had suspicions though.

This is the show that had Littlefinger explain the Hound's childhood.

I wonder if Ned ever wrote that letter to Jon he was talking about in dungeons. Varys said he'd read it and deliver it if it suited him, so I'm thinking Ned probably wouldn't trust him. But the possibility is still out there I guess.

Book version at least.

Speevy

Banned
Why is Brienne the only character who is called by her location rather than her family name, even though they are the same?

Showaddy

He doesn't have any right to the iron throne just because he's the son of an affair between two royals.

In theory though a legitimised Jon Targaryen would be ahead of Dany but behind Aegon in terms of a claim to the throne right? (Ignoring the slight issue of Robert seizing the throne...)

Yeah, the people who could conceivably know of Jon's parentage is fairly well fleshed out among longtime book readers.

Of course, there are a few blind spots here and there. While it's definitely a longshot and falls into the "tinfoil" category, I think the "Darkstar = Squire at the Tower of Joy" theory is very intriguing, and paints a better and more plausible explanation of the strange importance placed on him by Doran and the narrative in general. Specifically, I think it paints the most compelling reason behind Doran describing him as the most dangerous man in Dorne. This, of course, is assuming you're not among the group who simply thinks he's described the way he is because he's written in a try-hard manner to seem cool. Then all bets are off.

This isn't to say I totally buy it, but I think each book reader has a subset of the innumerable theories out there that he or she likes to imagine is true.

Wait, I dont remember this Ned's letter to Jon. Remind me pls

It's just something Ned and Varys briefly discuss when Ned is in the dungeons. It's never revealed if it was every actually written. But Varys said that he'd read any letter Ned wrote and would deliver it if it suited him, so it was probably never written. Just something that could potentially, but unlikely, pop up later on.

That's what I'm saying. No one calls anyone Cersei of Casterly Rock, Robb of Winterfell.

It's weird that she isn't called Brienne Tarth. Just doesn't roll of the tongue I guess?

It's because Tarth is both her family name and her place of birth and house. Tarth is both surname and geographic location (it's an island off of the Stormlands region of Westeros). Cersei isn't "Cersei of Casterly Rock" because she has an actually distinct surname: Lannister.

To elaborate on your post further: Brienne is Brienne Tarth, like her father is Selwyn Tarth. She is called Brienne of Tarth for the reasons stated above, and because her reputation has dubbed her "Brienne, the Maid of Tarth," which is often colloquially shortened in the books to Brienne of Tarth.

It'll be really exciting to see the Season 6 casting video this summer if they have one. Every new casting will be a big TWoW spoiler. There will be so many meltdowns on every asoiaf forum. I can see it now....

"Hi, i'll be playing Howland Reed"
"I'll be playing Garlan/Willas Tyrell, Loras' cousin"
etc.

H02Ma1J.gif

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
The whole series would have been remarkably more simple if Howland Reed actually did anything at any point for any reason. I hope that has a satisfactory expanation.

flyover

It's just something Ned and Varys briefly discuss when Ned is in the dungeons. It's never revealed if it was every actually written. But Varys said that he'd read any letter Ned wrote and would deliver it if it suited him, so it was probably never written. Just something that could potentially, but unlikely, pop up later on.

Yep, this is what happened. Some people have speculated that Ned may have ultimately decided not to write it since he was anticipating seeing Jon soon, anyway -- after taking the black. But maybe he did write it, just in case.

It'll be really exciting to see the Season 6 casting video this summer if they have one. Every new casting will be a big TWoW spoiler. There will be so many meltdowns on every asoiaf forum. I can see it now....

etc.

H02Ma1J.gif

I'd be honestly surprised if the cast list expanded too much from what we have now, really.

Still, on that note, we still haven't seen who they cast as Varamyr, have we?

That's what I'm saying. No one calls anyone Cersei of Casterly Rock, Robb of Winterfell.

It's weird that she isn't called Brienne Tarth. Just doesn't roll of the tongue I guess?
"Of" is like the German "von", the Dutch "van"... it was used in European nobility.

Kain

etc.

H02Ma1J.gif

But he's already been cast

The High sparrow.

Thanks! I remember the scene now.

I hope we get Howland on the show. George has said he will eventually show up in the books, which is nice since his kids are dying/dead beyond the wall. Really, he's the last connection to Lyanna and he just be a plot device to make some reveals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom