• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratrat

I'd say it's at least debatable. book roose just felt out of place and unreal. show roose is a much more believable character, mcelhatton also does a great job.
I like them both and book roose was great for the harrenhal fun house, but in the long run a believable lord is much better for the politics heavy story, although I do miss the eels.
Eels?
Edit: slugs?

Kain

Speaking about the show's influence over George, I wonder if he really planned for Roose to be a magic being and if he changed his mind due to the show.

Once he finishes the books (lol) he should do a post-mortem detailing all of this stuff.

Dr Prob

Banned
May very well be tied to a lack of sleep, but the image of Roose Bolton with eels all over him is something I'm thankful for.

Roose: Bring me the eels.
Servant: Sorry milord, do you mean th--
Roose: Are you questioning my order?

Moff

haha, it's an honest mistake, the german word for leech is extremely similiar to eel, egel, and they're both slimey water creatures so give me a break ;>
but I admit that leech lord sounds more indimidating than eel lord, or eel earl

Speaking about the show's influence over George, I wonder if he really planned for Roose to be a magic being and if he changed his mind due to the show.

Once he finishes the books (lol) he should do a post-mortem detailing all of this stuff.

Roose would be ruined for me if he turned out to be a magical being. It would take away the impact of all the things that he has accomplished.

Why would Roose be a magical being? Is there some Preston Jacobs fanfiction video about this or something?

Dr Prob

Banned
haha, it's an honest mistake, the german word for leech is extremely similiar to eel, egel, and they're both slimey water creatures so give me a break ;>
but I admit that leech lord sounds more indimidating than eel lord, or eel earl

Just kidding, Moff. All good.

R+L=
Bn7n6v6.jpg
:p

Chuckie

Why would Roose be a magical being? Is there some Preston Jacobs fanfiction video about this or something?

It's some weird theory because his eyes and 'ageless' appearance if I recall correctly. There is some other stuff.
But to be honest he never came over as a vampire in the book to me.

I thought her character was hideously written in the book, too. I couldn't wait for her and Rob Stark to die in the show so we could move past their pointless plot lines.

Also really glad LSH was cut. Cat was my least fav character in the book and show.
LHS is not Cat though. I gave out a sigh whenever I came to a 'Catelyn' chapter and prepared for a few pages of self pity and second guessing but when LHS turned up hanging Freys, I was like, "well now she gets shit done at least, and she's not a PoV character so we're spared her inner monologues."

I wish there was a way of cutting Danny. Despite having 3 bloody dragons we've had 2 full books of absolutely nothing climaxing, literally, in a load of shit. The show has nothing to work with there, and I doubt we'll even get the shit.

Brakke

Banned

It's some weird theory because his eyes and 'ageless' appearance if I recall correctly. There is some other stuff.
But to be honest he never came over as a vampire in the book to me.

The whole of the "evidence" for this one is that Roose Bolton's eyes are described as "chips of ice" (like Others?); the leech / blood fixation is weird; and they flay men so maybe they use the skins to magic up new bodies or something??

So basically, Roose is a confirmed vampire; setting up Ramsay for success until Roose gets a chance to steal his youthful body.

CassSept

There also has not been any mention of a single head of House Bolton other than Roose that lived in the past couple hundred years. So obviously the logical conclusion is that Roose has ruled for the last millennium because he is an immortal vampire.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Peter Dinklage: Not bad by any means, but overrated as fuck. The show's whitewashing didn't made any favours to his interpretations, either

Alfie Allen: One of the most underrated actors of the entire show. The level of nuance and inner struggle reflected on his performance makes up for (almost) all the lost inner monologes

Lena Headay: Hated S1 Cersei, loving S5 Cersei. Weird. This is a very rare case of an actress becoming better with each passing episode. Same thing as...

Kit Harrington: His latest impersonations of Jon Snu have been nothing but awesomeness and to be fair the material that he had to work with during the first seasons was abysmal.

Diana Rigg: Her Tyrell impersonation greatly improves her book counterpart. I love to see one of my favourite book-politicians being so well realized :D

Natalie Dormer: Yet another case of a character getting improved from the books due to its casting choice. She perfectly balances cunning, bitchiness and sweetness. Also, her Dreamworks smirk fits Margaery so well XD

Maisie Williams: She nailed Ayra, despite of some acting inconsistencies. The Hound's final scene and the look that she gave to him gave me massive chills

Siddig: A bit too early to tell, but I am not entirely sold on him yet. A bit too much rigid and not decrepit enough to my tastes. The "fire and blood" twist works precisely because he looks weak in the beggining

Emilia Clarke: Good person, but wholly unsuited to interpretate Daenerys. That being said, she hasn't had any proper script material to work with since "Dracarys"

EDIT: The imbecile that posted in the unsullied tread also spoilered non-book readers about Sansa's "horrible scene" -_-

I saw this post fly by unnoticed, but I've got to agree with you on all accounts.

Alfie Allen has been one of my favorite actors on the show ever since season 2 when he sentences Rodrick to death and botches the execution.

Contrast that scene with Kit: I knew Jon Snow would become badass as soon as he became Lord Commander and executed Janos in one fell swoop, and Kit didn't disappoint. I was so tired of one-dimensial brooding Jon Snow. Madden was the one whose beheading scene cemented the character as lame. I mean, the scene was cool, but you really get a sense that Robb is an idiot who actually grew less and less likeable and mature as the show went on. The actor was still great, but Robb himself? Eh. He was only cool in Season 1.

Now if only Emilia Clarke could get another "Valerian's my mother tongue, bitch" scene, she'd become awesome again.

The whole of the "evidence" for this one is that Roose Bolton's eyes are described as "chips of ice" (like Others?); the leech / blood fixation is weird; and they flay men so maybe they use the skins to magic up new bodies or something??

So basically, Roose is a confirmed vampire; setting up Ramsay for success until Roose gets a chance to steal his youthful body.
There also has not been any mention of a single head of House Bolton other than Roose that lived in the past couple hundred years. So obviously the logical conclusion is that Roose has ruled for the last millennium because he is an immortal vampire.
Vampires are ASOIAF's god of the gaps.

Iksenpets

Banned
I wonder if there would be a "Et tu, Olly?" moment when Jon eventually gets stabbed, and then Olly nods.

This is totally happening. First stab is Alisser, "For the Watch," second is an extra playing Bowen Marsh, "For the Watch," then Jon looks down to see little hands grasping a third knife in his side. He looks up; Olly nods.

Ratrat

Given the likelihood of Jon returning in some form, id think they'd have an additional permanent death to add weight. Sam or preferably Oli.

Arkeband

Banned

The other part of Bolt-on is that the tinfoil suggests that the flaying is a basic form of blood magic - that stealing a suit of skin to wear would be similar to the Faceless Men stealing a face.

IIRC TWOIAF debunked this by showing past Bolton lords, but who knows.

Marz

The actor for Roose is just amazing. This scene between him and Walder Frey is one of my favorites in the series. The way Roose forces himself to smile even though you can tell he doesn't care for humor at all is just perfect. Also that voice.

https://youtu.be/5g5UvrhJFVQ

News Bot

Banned
I regret talking to an extra on the show that I wanted to bang. She spoiled a pretty big event for me that hasn't been in the leaked four episodes, so I assume it's closer to the finale.

so its been a while since I read Dance and Feast but...pretty sure Sansa to Ramsay isn't cannon?

and the pace seems to be moving super fast....is it confirmed next season will basically be completely new material from book 6?

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
so its been a while since I read Dance and Feast but...pretty sure Sansa to Ramsay isn't cannon?

and the pace seems to be moving super fast....is it confirmed next season will basically be completely new material from book 6?

No it isn't canon, and I personally like the change.
I also like the speed. The last two books were mostly boring and pointless. I am glad that they are cutting those parts.

It isn't from the books, no, although it seems to be a very loose adaptation of Jayne Poole's material from ADWD.

Well, we're seeing the Walk of Atonement and Daznak's Pit this year, so we're basically going to be done with AFFC/ADWD, yeah. It's debatable how much next year will be an adaptation of TWOW and how much it will be entirely original material, mind.

The showrunners have said that there won't be many TWOW elements this season, but I certainly would not be surprised if we were to see some minor things pop up.

Speevy

Banned
I regret talking to an extra on the show that I wanted to bang. She spoiled a pretty big event for me that hasn't been in the leaked four episodes, so I assume it's closer to the finale.

You have profaned the faith of our fathers and forefathers. You are a sinner.

*cue chanting music*

Did he edit his post or something? I don't understand why he'd be banned for that.
Everyone knows the episode leak happened but we're not supposed to derail the thread with talk about it and we certainly aren't supposed to go "hey I pirated the show lol."
I think it will have more of Sansa + Harry from TWOW than Ramsay + Jeyne from ADWD.
Really? Isn't Harry the Heir kinda boring? And (TWOW released chapter)
yes, he does also have a Myranda who isn't happy about Sansa trying to marry him
, but I don't see that ending violently whereas violence in Winterfell is pretty much all I see coming this season.

NeoGiff

From the Unsullied thread:

I thought about this, what if Jon Snow is not the son of Ned but the son of Ned's sister? Then again, why wouldn't he tell Catelyn who hated him so much. Hm.

Ooooohhh shit, it's happening!

There's almost nothing pointing to Jon being Lyanna's son in the show, if they are talking about it it's because they've read about it online or have read aGoT.

-griffy-

Banned
There's been enough stuff in the show that people could speculate about it. People know that there was something about Jon's mother based on what Ned said in their last conversation together. People know Lyanna was betrothed to Robert and was taken by Rhaegar. A lot of that comes in only the first few episodes of the series, and I imagine people who rewatch the first season can easily pick up on things and speculate.

Am I the only one who thinks Thorne actually won't be a participant in Jon's stabbing? I think it's going to be Ollie + the featured extras with alliser maybe even coming to his aide in the ensuing brawl. Would be a semi-twist.

Speevy

Banned
These are the characters currently alive on the show who may know Jon isn't Ned's.

-Varys
-Littlefinger
-Barristan Selmy
-Maester Aemon
-Cersei
-Jaime
-Pycelle
-Any character with the power of visions, like Bran
-Any random character who shows up for no damn reason to tell him.

I think the reveal works depending on when it is. It can't be while Jon is at Castle Black doing Night Watch stuff.

This is where what happens to Winterfell is so important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom