• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he's alive, Benjen probably knows who Jon's parents are. He (obviously) know Ned very well and was very close to Lyanna before she died. Him knowing R+L=J is probably why GRRM made sure that Benjen would disappear as soon as possible.

Other people who probably know: Howland Reed, Bloodraven, maybe Wylla and Ashara Dayne. Guys like Varys and LF have no way to know about it.

The whole series would have been remarkably more simple if Howland Reed actually did anything at any point for any reason. I hope that has a satisfactory expanation.

Howland is the type where you never see him, but you can see his fingerprints on quite a few things if you peel back some layers. Look at the state the ironborn were in when Ramsay sent Theon to negotiate their surrender — Howland's work. The Brotherhood Without Banners is said to disappear into the Neck — with Howland's help, no doubt. A critical part of the GNC is that Howland has Maege and Galbart and that information about Jon sent to other houses is coming from the Neck — Howland's work. He's most definitely active, even if it's not in your face.

Robb told him to stay Greywater Watch so he could defend the Neck. That's what he did.

Moff

well I always wanted a prequel season, or movie, but I really hope we will get at least a tower of joy flashback in the show. it's such a powerful scene. the only thing we really need is that somehow they actually make jon's heritage important, because I don't know what would change if everyone knew he was a targaryen.

That's what I'm saying. No one calls anyone Cersei of Casterly Rock, Robb of Winterfell.

It's weird that she isn't called Brienne Tarth. Just doesn't roll of the tongue I guess?

Probably a hedge knight thing. Ser Hugh of the Vale and Ser Arlan of Pennytree did the same. So it's just that she's styling herself as a Hedge Knight.

Iksenpets

Banned
I'm kind of hoping that happens, it'd be cool. I somewhat like show Thorne.

I think they did the thing where Stannis told him to send Alisser away and Jon refused to be something where Jon's decision ends up biting him in the ass. I think Thorne leads the stabbing, but it'll be very sympathetically portrayed. Like, the letter is read aloud, Jon freaks out and announces that he's marching on Winterfell, Alisser says you can't, you took an oath, Jon gives him the Davos argument of "protecting the realm", Alisser says he won't come. Jon says he doesn't need him, he'll take the Wildlings. Olly gives stink eye. Tormund immediately agrees, Jon helped his people at Hardhome, he'll help Jon at Winterfell. Alisser says that if the Lord Commander takes a wildling army to Winterfell, Lord Bolton will destroy the Watch in retaliation, we'll all die. But at this point Jon isn't even listening and is just suiting up to leave. Background Watchmen are looking nervous, and are starting to cluster around Alisser. Then as Jon is moving toward the gate Alisser and the others are in his way. He tells Alisser to move, and Alisser replies with FTW. Olly and others join in.

I could see something like that all playing out very quickly in a minute or so.

7COXMCn.gif

Best use of this gif.

NeoGiff

I think they did the thing where Stannis told him to send Alisser away and Jon refused to be something where Jon's decision ends up biting him in the ass.

This. After thinking about the episode, I came to that conclusion too.

And it's not even that Thorne will be a constant... thorn in Jon's side, but that his presence and position will have an impact at the most inopportune time.

Patriots7

Everyone knows the episode leak happened but we're not supposed to derail the thread with talk about it and we certainly aren't supposed to go "hey I pirated the show lol."Really? Isn't Harry the Heir kinda boring? And (TWOW released chapter)
yes, he does also have a Myranda who isn't happy about Sansa trying to marry him
, but I don't see that ending violently whereas violence in Winterfell is pretty much all I see coming this season.
I like the Harry the Heir story. It's different compared to retread of Sansa being a victim.

And Sansa + Harry actually makes sense (as in I can see why Littlefinger is scheming to have it happen):
- Secures the Vale (and Littlefinger's influence) once Robert dies. The Starks married into the Waynwood family, so Sansa adds even more credibility to Harry's claim.
- Secures the North (until Rickon comes back) due to Harry having Stark predecessors and Sansa being the heir
- Secures the Riverlands (Littlefinger's hold of Harrenhal which would likely pass to Sansa not to mention Sansa's claim via the Tully's)

Iksenpets

Banned
This. After thinking about the episode, I came to that conclusion too.

And it's not even that Thorne will be a constant... thorn in Jon's side, but that his presence and position will have an impact at the most inopportune time.

If that's really where they're going with it, I think it's a decent enough replacement of the book thing where he sent all his friends away because he thought it was necessary to be a true lord, given that they killed all his friends off. In the book, he refuses to keep his friends close enough, so they're not there to protect him. In the show, he refuses to keep enough distance from his enemies, and opens himself up to attack.

NeoGiff

Enlighten Me

Also, Jon's true parentage:
Ned + Lyanna

This isn't really the place for it, so I'll be brief.

- WiC is the best source of news for GoT, and an all around good community.
- WiC is sold to FanSided (fair enough, no problem there).
- Some strange executive decisions are made (quotas for posts are introduced etc., new writers hired, old staff starting to be shut out).
- Original WiC staff lead a mass exodus and form Watchers, leaving WiC to burn itself to the ground.

Since I wasn't there at the time, I feel quite awkward saying this, but that's the basic gist of it.

This isn't really the place for it, so I'll be brief.

- WiC is the best source of news for GoT, and an all around good community.
- WiC is sold to FanSided (fair enough, no problem there).
- Some strange executive decisions are made (quotas for posts are introduced etc., new writers hired, old staff starting to be shut out).
- Original WiC staff lead a mass exodus and form Watchers, leaving WiC to burn itself to the ground.

Since I wasn't there at the time, I feel quite awkward saying this, but that's the basic gist of it.

I had no idea WiC was sold. Thanks for the info!

Blatz

Seeing as how Sophie Turner is a rising star in Hollywood (X-men Apocalypse + 2 other starring roles), do you guys think there's any chance they'll kill off Sansa and that is their "big" shock moment?

This is pure speculation on my part.

Seeing as how Sophie Turner is a rising star in Hollywood (X-men Apocalypse + 2 other starring roles), do you guys think there's any chance they'll kill off Sansa and that is their "big" shock moment?

Nope, and this is another reason I don't think she's going to be raped/tortured/flayed. "Hey, is that girl playing Jean Grey the one that was in the big brutal rape scene a few months ago?"

No, Sansa seems like one of the few guaranteed to still be around at the end characters to me.

kirblar

Just been catching up as I haven't had time to watch anything recently. I'm liking Doran so far and Brienne's as badass as usual. But Jaime's going on holiday to Dorne?
His vacation stay in the Riverlands was cancelled due to the move of the wedding to Winterfell. He made other arrangements, now that his presence was no longer required.

bengraven

I don't think we'll get any Riverlands stuff, ever, period.

Blackfish probably only survived the Wedding because they knew fans would have a fit. Or it was just a bit too much.

Is that young Elizabeth Hurley, because if so I need to start watching the Sharpe films.

Was watching Austin Powers last night and forgot how fucking beautiful she was/is.

NeoGiff

Liking the Night's Watch scenes the most so far this season. Stannis finally getting some good scenes.

stannisnod.gif

What's pleasantly surprising is that he has been in all three consecutive episodes so far, in a favourable light.

The man D&D referred to as a villain a few years ago.

Kain

stannisnod.gif

What's pleasantly surprising is that he has been in all three consecutive episodes so far, in a favourable light.

The man D&D referred to as a villain a few years ago.

You know as well as we do that this fact is his death sentence, right? Poor Mannis doesn't catch a break.

Liking the Night's Watch scenes the most so far this season. Stannis finally getting some good scenes.

I've thought Stannis has gotten tons of good scene in the show so far. Him explaining to Davos that he 'doesn't want to burn his God and doesn't want what's happening was saw the vision in the fire and knows her God is real so what the hell else can he do?' was great.

Stannis being a bit broken and torn and looking to Mel makes it work for me.

You know as well as we do that this fact is his death sentence, right? Poor Mannis doesn't catch a break.

This is what I am worried about. They are clearly setting up a Baratheon attack on Winterfell against the Boltons, but also Brienne vs Stannis. Storywise it makes way more sense for Brienne to die since she has nothing to do now in the story, but the writers don't seem to be caring about that as much now, so it's 50/50.

Showaddy

This is what I am worried about. They are clearly setting up a Baratheon attack on Winterfell against the Boltons, but also Brienne vs Stannis. Storywise it makes way more sense for Brienne to die since she has nothing to do now in the story, but the writers don't seem to be caring about that as much now, so it's 50/50.

It'd be pretty boring if they just have Brienne rock up and kill Stannis, hopefully they use him as a Stoneheart replacement and we get the hanging scene.

Iksenpets

Banned
I don't think we'll get any Riverlands stuff, ever, period.

Blackfish probably only survived the Wedding because they knew fans would have a fit. Or it was just a bit too much.

Season 6 I still believe!

If they didn't have some planned for Blackfish at the time, regardless of if they've dropped it now, they would've totall killed him off. They're gleeful about upsetting fans with early deaths, so that wouldn't have stopped them. Plus, they could've adapted Smalljon's death for him and it would've been awesome.

Really, I don't think they decided to include Blackfish without some conversation with GRRM to confirm that his Winds role is important enough to warrant inclusion. They had to know that Jaime in Riverrun probably wasn't going to make the cut, and he was never integral to season 3's plot. He's a weird side character to introduce if there's not something coming for him.

Speevy

Banned
I actually applaud the showrunners for creating all this speculation on what could happen.

The possibilities for this Roose/Ramsay/Sansa/Littlefinger/Stannis/Melisandre/Brienne Winterfell bonanza are more intriguing than what they did with Bran, or even the Dorne storyline.

Massa

Everyone knows the episode leak happened but we're not supposed to derail the thread with talk about it and we certainly aren't supposed to go "hey I pirated the show lol."Really? Isn't Harry the Heir kinda boring? And (TWOW released chapter)
yes, he does also have a Myranda who isn't happy about Sansa trying to marry him
, but I don't see that ending violently whereas violence in Winterfell is pretty much all I see coming this season.

What I meant is that while a lot of people are assuming the Sansa/Ramsay dynamic will be like Ramsay and Jeyne (like the idiot who posted the "spoiler" in the other thread), I think it will be the opposite - it's going to be mostly about Sansa dominating and manipulating him, like she's doing with Harry in ASOIAF.

Brakke

Banned
The Mountain is not going to be some Frankenstein shit is he?

Totes. "Ser Robert Strong", Qyburn calls him.

In the books they send "The Mountain's" head to Dorne and Ser Strong never takes off his helmet, so it's possible he becomes a headless zombie warrior.

Totes. "Ser Robert Strong", Qyburn calls him.

In the books they send "The Mountain's" head to Dorne and Ser Strong never takes off his helmet, so it's possible he becomes a headless zombie warrior.

What?

Why do they send the head to Dorne, out of respect?

Oh boy.Headless warrior.

I like the Harry the Heir story. It's different compared to retread of Sansa being a victim.

And Sansa + Harry actually makes sense (as in I can see why Littlefinger is scheming to have it happen):
- Secures the Vale (and Littlefinger's influence) once Robert dies. The Starks married into the Waynwood family, so Sansa adds even more credibility to Harry's claim.
- Secures the North (until Rickon comes back) due to Harry having Stark predecessors and Sansa being the heir
- Secures the Riverlands (Littlefinger's hold of Harrenhal which would likely pass to Sansa not to mention Sansa's claim via the Tully's)

Sorry, I don't mind the actual Harry the Heir story. I should have clarified - Harry himself is boring. I think he's a wildly wildly different character from Ramsay Bolton.
What I meant is that while a lot of people are assuming the Sansa/Ramsay dynamic will be like Ramsay and Jeyne (like the idiot who posted the "spoiler" in the other thread), I think it will be the opposite - it's going to be mostly about Sansa dominating and manipulating him, like she's doing with Harry in ASOIAF.
I could see this being the case, yeah, absolutely. Although don't forget that the show already had Margaery manipulating Joffrey in a pretty similar way (like when she pretended to be really into his sadism). I don't know if they'll want to duplicate that.

Speevy

Banned
That's another thought. What if they just turned Sansa crazy? She killed Myranda, screwed Ramsay, and starts flaying everyone in the north.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom