• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengraven

Quentyn died IN the books. It's canon. He is deceased. He has ceased to exist. He is an EX-Dorne.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";162335956]
reddeadviperwgsxr.png
[/QUOTE]

7PbLk.gif

All this talk about Quentyn is reminding me of roasted pig scene from The Simpsons where Bart and Homer are chasing it while stuff happens to it while Homer keeps saying "it's still good".

"He's just a little burnt, he's still alive!"

NeoGiff

Any of you guys RedLetterMedia fans?

All I could think of when I read Quentyn's death in the books was Plinkett's signature "...Oh...". It made that scene a lot funnier than it should have been.

It's a pity Quentyn isn't in the show, though. I hated him originally, but on rereading everything, I grew to appreciate his storyline if not himself.

Speevy

Banned
I've been thinking about a good parting shot for this season.

Do you guys think it could be Dany flying away on her dragon or something else?

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I don't know man...

martin made it a point to describe how unrecognizable martell's face was.

And we know what happened to other pov characters that were burned...

I say Martell having Targaeryan blood saved his ass and the crispy lump of flesh was a random Windblown or the tattered prince himself.

Team Alive!

bengraven

All I could think of when I read Quentyn's death in the books was Plinkett's signature "...Oh...". It made that scene a lot funnier than it should have been.

It's a pity Quentyn isn't in the show, though. I hated him originally, but on rereading everything, I grew to appreciate his storyline if not himself.

I closed the book and said, "what was the point of that..."

and then came to GAF to post about it, but saw people were much further ahead than I, so I quickly closed GAF and went back to the book.

Speevy

Banned
I don't see her getting married and going through all that this season it will definitely feel rushed, also with no fat Belwas who is going to get poisoned?

This show cuts and rushes everything. The end scene has to be something revelatory and dramatic.

It's either Jon waking up from his stabbing death or Dany fleeing Meerreen.

IF Jon is shanked, I don't want there to be any indication at all that he might be ok. I think it would be nice for them to leave the show watchers in the same place book readers are, with the general assumption Jon is coming back but no evidence of it happening yet.

I think Quentyn becomes a lot less useful without the parallel-structure thing that AFFC/ADWD do together. Doran's big monologue in AFFC about how he's got a super secret and amazing plan doesn't work as well if you've already read or seen scenes that make it painfully obvious that his secret and amazing plan actually sucks and rests on the head of an utter incompetent.
IF Jon is shanked, I don't want there to be any indication at all that he might be ok. I think it would be nice for them to leave the show watchers in the same place book readers are, with the general assumption Jon is coming back but no evidence of it happening yet.
Except set photos from Season 6 would reveal that he's still alive almost immediately, which would be the worst possible way for show watchers AND book readers to find out about it.

Kyougar

[...] After watching Robert for some time he even mentioned that he wouldn't be surprised if Lyanna wasn't kidnapped but just wanted to get away from Robert who he described as a "fat, drunk, disgusting pig who no woman would like to be married to".

The hints are there and the show wasn't exactly subtle about his parentage coming into play later, as book readers we often only see the things that aren't in the show and ignore the stuff staring us right in the face. Rewatching the first few episodes there's an awful lot of "Lyanna this, Lyanna that", "honorable Ned Stark wouldn't cheat", "Who's Jon's mother?" etc., it's absolutely possible to figure R+L=J just by watching the show.

You are mostly right, but your friend got to the right conclusion with wrong assumptions. Robert wasnt a fat disgusting Pig in his prime. He would have never been one of the best melee Fighters in the realm if he was. Maybe his character was disgusting, but I dont think we know if Lyanna knew this side of him (drinking and whoring). He was just an unknown guy to her, unlike Rhaegar, who she may have fallen in Love with.

I think Quentyn becomes a lot less useful without the parallel-structure thing that AFFC/ADWD do together. Doran's big monologue in AFFC about how he's got a super secret and amazing plan doesn't work as well if you've already read or seen scenes that make it painfully obvious that his secret and amazing plan actually sucks and rests on the head of an utter incompetent.
Except set photos from Season 6 would reveal that he's still alive almost immediately, which would be the worst possible way for show watchers AND book readers to find out about it.

I don't think the majority of watchers check things like set photos. With so many deaths, I think it would be nice to have a cliffhanger for the fake-out.

Unless Jon gets stabbed in episode 4-5, there isn't enough time to built any suspense

foxtrot3d

Banned
You are mostly right, but your friend got to the right conclusion with wrong assumptions. Robert wasnt a fat disgusting Pig in his prime. He would have never been one of the best melee Fighters in the realm if he was. Maybe his character was disgusting, but I dont think we know if Lyanna knew this side of him (drinking and whoring). He was just an unknown guy to her, unlike Rhaegar, who she may have fallen in Love with.

Based upon Ned's thought it's clear that Lyanna did know that Robert was a notorious womanizer. If you remember Ned recalls a moment when he's speaking to Lyanna about Robert and how he'll change once he's married and the Lyanna casually remarks about how naive Ned is. She knew what he was and that he wasn't going to change.

EDIT:

Found the exact passage:
A Game of Thrones - Eddard IX said:
"Robert will never keep to one bed," Lyanna had told him at Winterfell, on the night long ago when their father had promised her hand to the young Lord of Storm's End. "I hear he has gotten a child on some girl in the Vale." Ned had held the babe in his arms; he could scarcely deny her, nor would he lie to his sister, but he had assured her that what Robert did before their betrothal was of no matter, that he was a good man and true who would love her with all his heart. Lyanna had only smiled. "Love is sweet, dearest Ned, but it cannot change a man's nature."

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm caught up with the first 3 eps and the book changes are pretty huge! Have to say that I'm okay with most of them and they kinda fit. Jaime + Bronn team-up is something we can all get behind. Ramsay + Sansa was a pretty big surprise though.

I don't think the majority of watchers check things like set photos. With so many deaths, I think it would be nice to have a cliffhanger for the fake-out.

Unless Jon gets stabbed in episode 4-5, there isn't enough time to built any suspense

Basically every single person who uses Facebook and has indicated Game of Thrones as an interest manually or by mere user behavior would see io9 posts about how Jon is back. They wouldn't need to go looking for it or be an obsessive fan to find out.

Kyougar

Based upon Ned's thought it's clear that Lyanna did know that Robert was a notorious womanizer. If you remember Ned recalls a moment when he's speaking to Lyanna about Robert and how he'll change once he's married and the Lyanna casually remarks about how naive Ned is. She knew what he was and that he wasn't going to change.

EDIT:

Found the exact passage:

Ok, thanks. But still, he wasnt a fat pig. In medieval times, it was somewhat normal for higher born men to have affairs on the side. Especially because only a fraction of the marriages were out of love. (disregarding the notion, that it was "frowned" upon (or rather heavily discouraged) for woman to do something on the side themselve.)
Lyanna wouldnt be shocked if he was laying with other woman. (and she tells that Ned in your quote) But I think Robert would have been so in love, that Ned was also right, that he would be loyal to Lyanna (well, we give him 10 years at the most, but its an improvement nonetheless!) Robert didnt care about cersei, so he didnt stop his whoring ways.

What are you guys talking about? Quentyn is safely dead. lol.

I wish I could see Drinkwater with all his swag, though.

I'm also in the camp, that thinks Quentyn COULD BE alive. It could be a fake-out or a double fake-out. But GRRM wrote it in a manner, that could indicate, that Quentyn is still alive.
If you want some deeper analysis, watch the dornish master plan series from Preston Jacobs (and take it with a grain of salt)

foxtrot3d

Banned
Ok, thanks. But still, he wasnt a fat pig. In medieval times, it was somewhat normal for higher born men to have affairs on the side. Especially because only a fraction of the marriages were out of love. (disregarding the notion, that it was "frowned" upon (or rather heavily discouraged) for woman to do something on the side themselve.)
Lyanna wouldnt be shocked if he was laying with other woman. (and she tells that Ned in your quote) But I think Robert would have been so in love, that Ned was also right, that he would be loyal to Lyanna (well, we give him 10 years at the most, but its an improvement nonetheless!) Robert didnt care about cersei, so he didnt stop his whoring ways.

I'm also in the camp, that thinks Quentyn COULD BE alive. It could be a fake-out or a double fake-out. But GRRM wrote it in a manner, that could indicate, that Quentyn is still alive.
If you want some deeper analysis, watch the dornish master plan series from Preston Jacobs (and take it with a grain of salt)

I'll agree he wasn't a fat pig, dude was like the best warrior in the realm, but he was always a drunken womanizer. Also, I highly doubt he would have stayed loyal to Lyanna, she knew it herself. I think the real reason Robert "loved" Lyanna so much is because she was the one woman denied to him. Every other girl in the realm threw themselves at his feet and worshiped him, Robert was a guy who always got what he wanted. So, the fact that Lyanna was the one time he REALLY wanted a girl and she was eternally denied to him I think is what really chaffed him. Had he actually gotten her he would have probably gotten bored in less than a year and gone back to whoring.

Kyougar

I'll agree he wasn't a fat pig, dude was like the best warrior in the realm, but he was always a drunken womanizer. Also, I highly doubt he would have stayed loyal to Lyanna, she knew it herself. I think the real reason Robert "loved" Lyanna so much is because she was the one woman denied to him. Every other girl in the realm threw themselves at his feet and worshiped him, Robert was a guy who always got what he wanted. So, the fact that Lyanna was the one time he REALLY wanted a girl and she was eternally denied to him I think is what really chaffed him. Had he actually gotten her he would have probably gotten bored in less than a year and gone back to whoring.

We will never know :/

Robert marrying Lyanna
Brandon marrying Catelyn
Rhaegar reforming the realm and disposing of his Father, starting a new golden age.
Ned would have to either marry a north girl or take the black. The Targs wouldnt want the Starks to marry into another great house.
Cersei would be marrying Viserys because he is a targ prince (lol)

I am getting teary-eyed :(

Basically every single person who uses Facebook and has indicated Game of Thrones as an interest manually or by mere user behavior would see io9 posts about how Jon is back. They wouldn't need to go looking for it or be an obsessive fan to find out.

Well too bad! : )

If they are going to find out anyway, they might as well make it a good moment.

Marz

Anyone else think Tommen is portrayed too old in the show? Why would he let his own mother be paraded through the streets of kings landing naked when he is the king?

At least in the books he's only 8 so he has no idea what's happening...unless they plan to have Margaery manipulate him on the matter...

glaw52

Anyone else think Tommen is portrayed too old in the show? Why would he let his own mother be paraded through the streets of kings landing naked when he is the king?

At least in the books he's only 8 so he has no idea what's happening...unless they plan to have Margaery manipulate him on the matter...

I think he is supposed to be 14/15 in the show. That's still pretty young.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Did the show ever clear up who was behind the assassin who went after Bran in season 1?

They're saving it for a big reveal in the final season. It turns out that Arya traveled back in time to assassinate Bran to prevent him from becoming the next Bloodraven.

Robert was clearly quite an eligible bachelor but Lyanna had little interest in him, at least based on her comments to Ned. Martin has said Robert only met Lyanna a couple times, which makes his love for her interesting. I think it moreso had to do with her being beautiful, Robert wanting her, and Robert wanting to be Ned's brother by law. The books make Robert sound quite impulsive - if he wants something he takes it, he gorges on excess, etc. Lyanna was just another thing he wanted, and perhaps the first thing that was ever taken from him.

suzu

I think he is supposed to be 14/15 in the show. That's still pretty young.

Isn't Sansa suppose to be like 15 or something now on the show? Tommen is around Bran's age.. or he was anyway, before they aged him up mid-show. How old is Bran and Arya now? lol

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Isn't Sansa suppose to be like 15 or something now on the show? Tommen is around Bran's age.. or he was anyway, before they aged him up mid-show. How old is Bran and Arya now? lol

I'm pretty sure it's in the show's best interest to never mention anyone's age ever again, considering how all of them will have to see/suffer/do some weird, macabre shit until the end.

Iksenpets

Banned
I leave for like a day and you people go nuts with Quentyn tinfoil!

It's clear that the show runners don't like fake deaths, so maybe just have him gravely wounded but not die?

They're willing to do fake deaths when it's critical to the plot, like Bran and Rickon in season 2, and possibly the Hound now, but they're stripping out everything non-essential. That could just be because they don't want to telegraph Jon too badly. Jon's fakeout isn't bad, it's just no one believes it because GRRM spent two books squandering any faith people had in him actually keeping people dead. The show can make Jon more impactful by cutting out the other takeouts before his death.

Also, I think it's pretty likely that Jon stays dead for a pretty long time. In the books, you have Bran's dream about him being stored in an ice cell, and the introduction of the Melisandre POV seems designed to have a presence at the wall for a period when Jon will be dead. I think he'll remain dead for at least a few episodes of season 6, and his resurrection may not even be until the very end of the season.

I'm pretty sure it's in the show's best interest to never mention anyone's age ever again, considering how all of them will have to see/suffer/do some weird, macabre shit until the end.

Yeah, I think they really should've never mentioned anyone's ages at all. Everyone could just be exactly as old as we think they look.

glaw52

That's probably the best way to go about it. As far as the show goes, it's best to just assume everyone is above 18.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom