• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 5 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm no apologist but the Unsullied's strength is in their discipline and ability to form a proper spear line. One on one they are not so effective. This is coming from Barristan's TWOW preview chapter.

I'm still not believing they are gonna get wrecked by a bunch of chumps though

duckroll

I honestly still can't believe they went through with that entire plot. I had heard about the spoilers beforehand, but seeing it actually transpire and the way they did the scene was so.... awful. The best trained fighting force in Essos who have been patroling the streets for months now just get totally wrecked by slavemasters because of narrow passages?

?????????????????????

???????????????????????????????

?????????????????????????????????????

kswiston

Show Unsullied are basically Storm Troopers. Can't wait to see Hodor take down the remaining 5000 of them as he rides Nymeria into battle while Bran wargs her entire wolf pack.

The show has never bothered to convey Barristan's legendary strength and heroism.

In that sense it's a fitting (but depressing and stupid) end for him.

Showaddy

Damn. I do not like these changes. I need to keep telling myself the show is completely different.

Tbh if Dance hadn't been so bloated Barristan probably would have been dead in the books by now anyway, no way he's surviving now there's like 3 POV's in Meereen now. Pretty shit way for the show to off him anyway.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I guess this will be why Dany marry's Hizdar in the show...I really hope Darrio gives her the speech about making a red wedding

Kerned

Banned
I am usually pretty on board with changes from the book, but killing off Barristan and maybe also Grey Worm seems like a bad deviation.

CoolOff

I guess it's borderline, but in my opinion the preview spoiler shouldn't be regarded as a spoiler if the show intended it not to be ambiguous.

Let's rant openly.

Tucah

you speak so well
EW interview with Ian McElhinney.

confirms that he's dead and was, as most expected, the book reader quoted as saying they were surprised that they were killed off already

Mashing

Fuck this show for killing off Ser Barristan the Bold. Weak ass Unsullied got their asses kicked. Grey Worm is a boss though, hopefully he's not dead.

Patriots7

Trailer discussion:
Grey Worm is fine. They teased a pointless intimate scene and Missandei in the first season 5 promo.

Lothar

Banned
Pretty damn weak episode. The only good parts I can remember are with Stannis and Cersei. I don't think they could do a worse job handling Dorne and Meereen. There's no weight or to importance to Ser Berristan dying at all. This is as crappy as Qarth. The last 20 minutes were super boring even with Barristan's last fight. The dialogue was horrendous. So much exposition. It felt like every scene had a huge amount of it. It doesn't come off as natural. It feels like they're looking at the camera and saying "Here's a backstory, here's a person you should care about."

I honestly still can't believe they went through with that entire plot. I had heard about the spoilers beforehand, but seeing it actually transpire and the way they did the scene was so.... awful. The best trained fighting force in Essos who have been patroling the streets for months now just get totally wrecked by slavemasters because of narrow passages?

?????????????????????

???????????????????????????????

?????????????????????????????????????

S-E-R-I-O-U-S-L-Y

I blame Dany. I hope Stannis ships her off to Valyria with the stone men after he puts foot in ass.

UraMallas

I liked everything up to the point of Dany's stuff. I'm no book purist but I was pretty put off by the last scene.

I really thought everything in the North was done well. I loved Stannis' moment with Sheeren. Jaime and Bronn was good buddy cop stuff and Tyrion and Jorah should be entertaining as well. A lot of peeps seem to be upset about how the Faith Militant were handled but I liked it. I thought the scene with Tommen on the steps of the Sept was really well done and tense in the right way. When he gets back to Margaery and she storms off you really feel for him like "this dude can't win right now."

Overall, I liked it. The ending sucked, though.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
This is the episode where I decided that Planets-199999 is a very silly place. A very very silly place.

EW interview with Ian McElhinney.

confirms that he's dead and was, as most expected, the book reader quoted as saying they were surprised that they were killed off already

Sigh...D&D are really testing my limit with this shit.

Helmholtz

If Barristan or Grey Worm actually died in that fight, their deaths were handled pretty poorly. Happened so quick with basically zero emotion or purpose. At the end of the episode I was like, 'wait are they supposed to be dead?'.

LProtag

I don't agree with that at all.

Barristan is one of my favorite characters in the books, and doesn't he have upcoming chapters in the next one?

Lautaro

Haha these last three seasons are going to be so lame with the TV only material taking over (and the book material losing momentum too).

Barristan went out in such an anticlimactic way
. I don't understand why they had him get saved from having his throat slit at the last second if he's dead anyway. Seemed like a pointless moment of plotting.

Mashing

Since they ended up killing him off that all but confirms Selmy dies in WoW. I can't fathom any other fucking reason for doing that now. Man, GoT has had some shit tier writing this season.

Still, I have to give props to the Stannis scene. That was a badass and touching scene at the same time (which means one of the two characters die).

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I am not quite sure why yall's hate the sand snakes so much?

And sure Barristan going out like that, was lame, but oh well, he was going to die evantually anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom