• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mantidor

I think its pretty easy to figure out from the trailers but still is a big spoiler.

Or maybe he is being misleading? Like Sophie saying Sansa was going to be "manipulative" in season 5 lol

NeoGiff

Pretty annoying that he'd just say that, but now that it's out there, I'm preemptively disgusted at
brutish action hero Brienne
once more.

mantidor

I think the spoiler here is that
they are saved by Brienne
. The trailer gives away the encounter but you really can't say for sure the outcome of it, now we know.

I should have clarified that when I said 'major' I meant it in the sense that actors typically don't give that sort of thing away in interviews. Especially stuff like
giving context to promo photos (river crossing) or confirming things like Theon killing again.
Typically they don't just blurt that stuff out, 'obvious lmao' or not.

Patriots7

Anyone want to venture a guess on who D&D forgot to tell about their death? I'm feeling Loras, since he seems a certain goner, but maybe Tommen works too?
The Tyrell's are in a much more precarious position in the show than the books. Willas and Garlan ensure that no matter the fate's of Loras and Margaery, they are still the most powerful and positioned house.

In the show, they're on the brink of destruction. Unless a cousin is written in.

Also if that's the case, we're never going to see Highgarden or Hightower explored in the show (maybe a glimpse during Old Town via Sam)?

The Tyrell's are in a much more precarious position in the show than the books. Willas and Garlan ensure that no matter the fate's of Loras and Margaery, they are still the most powerful and positioned house.

In the show, they're on the brink of destruction. Unless a cousin is written in.

Also if that's the case, we're never going to see Highgarden or Hightower explored in the show (maybe a glimpse during Old Town via Sam)?

Enter Drizz Tyrell.

Makes you wonder if this is just a cliff notes attempt at gutting them. The books seem to have set up quite a fall for the Tyrells. Garlan and a large host are racing off to fight Euron in the Shield Isles, Mace is blundering in King's Landing, Loras might or might not be grievously injured. Meanwhile the Golden Company sounds pretty confident they have "friends in the Reach" who will come to Aegon's aide, and presumably be given the Reach out of thanks. I think that friend is Randyl Tarly, who is well positioned to fuck over the Tyrells big time.

TWOW sample spoiler: Randyl Tarly is
leading the majority of the Tyrell force are marching for Storm's End, after it is taken by by the GC. I think Tarly will want to parlay and meet with his old friend Connington, and see the boy Aegon for himself. Tarly's comments in the ADWD epilogue were quite odd to me. He kept voicing doubt that Connington was alive, as if he ensure no one at the council could possibly doubt his allegiance. But I expect Tarly to betray the crown and perhaps begin an invasion of the Reach, or simply return to KL and attack.

Pretty annoying that he'd just say that, but now that it's out there, I'm preemptively disgusted at
brutish action hero Brienne
once more.

Yeah, screw that. As much as I hated the whole situation with Stannis last season, the one redeemable part I thought was Stannis' final words "go on, do your duty." This can have multiple interpretations, but one of the ones I really liked was the irony that personally I don't think Brienne should have even been there and maybe she'd realize that in the moment.

I mean, not saying Show Stannis didn't deserve to die (due to actions Brienne couldn't possinly have known about) but what irked me is that all season they were building up to Brienne rescuing Sansa and instead of prioritizing that and fulfilling her duty to Catelyn, she instead in the final episode pursued her more selfish desire to avenge Renly. You could say that was part of her oath from the start, but it's clear she went with what would give her personal satisfaction over the more noble thing which was to protect the Stark girl she didn't know.

I was hoping that
assuming she really did kill Stannis, they would have her face the guilt and consequences of that for a time knowing she compromised her mission to save Sansa when she had her opportunity. Instead, only one episode later after klling Stannis she's rewarded a second chance I guess because she's our squeaky clean heroine and she couldn't possibly have a character flaw unlike the evil child murdering Stannis who murdered D&D's favourite and rightful king Renly Baratheon. If this is the result, I guess the way that whole scenario was constructed was even more petty than I gave it credit for initially.

Patriots7

Makes you wonder if this is just a cliff notes attempt at gutting them. The books seem to have set up quite a fall for the Tyrells. Garlan and a large host are racing off to fight Euron in the Shield Isles, Mace is blundering in King's Landing, Loras might or might not be grievously injured. Meanwhile the Golden Company sounds pretty confident they have "friends in the Reach" who will come to Aegon's aide, and presumably be given the Reach out of thanks. I think that friend is Randyl Tarly, who is well positioned to fuck over the Tyrells big time.

TWOW sample spoiler: Randyl Tarly is
leading the majority of the Tyrell force are marching for Storm's End, after it is taken by by the GC. I think Tarly will want to parlay and meet with his old friend Connington, and see the boy Aegon for himself. Tarly's comments in the ADWD epilogue were quite odd to me. He kept voicing doubt that Connington was alive, as if he ensure no one at the council could possibly doubt his allegiance. But I expect Tarly to betray the crown and perhaps begin an invasion of the Reach, or simply return to KL and attack.
I thought about it foreshadowing a fall of the Tyrells...
but I was always under the assumption that House Hightower was the second most powerful house in the Reach (arguably even moreso than House Tyrell). For Tarly to want to fuck over the Tyrell's by allying with Aegon, he would evoke the wrath of House Hightower (since Willas is his grandson) and also be betraying his wife's sister (since the Lord of House Hightower is married to a Florent). Always seemed like a bit of a reach (no pun intended) for a man who never sought any political power.

KahooTs

Regardless of if Tarly is a mole or not, after their build up as an extremely competent professional fighting force the GC are not going to lose their first pitched battle in Westeros.

In the books, Varys turns Marge's trial bad, Mace tries to take her by force, city gutters run red as the Tyrells and Faith clash in the streets, then Aegon shows up to save the city and the Seven, cloth dragon, cheering crowds.

Tommen becoming pious and a favourite of the HS is him morphing into the role of Aegon. No Arianne (Aegon's queen) in the show because she's unnecessary without Aegon, Marge just becomes Arianne. In the show Dany arrives and fights Tommen, in the books it's the second dance Dany vs Aegon.

I thought about it foreshadowing a fall of the Tyrells...
but I was always under the assumption that House Hightower was the second most powerful house in the Reach (arguably even moreso than House Tyrell). For Tarly to want to fuck over the Tyrell's by allying with Aegon, he would evoke the wrath of House Hightower (since Willas is his grandson) and also be betraying his wife's sister (since the Lord of House Hightower is married to a Florent). Always seemed like a bit of a reach (no pun intended) for a man who never sought any political power.

The Hightowers never really liked the Targs, so I doubt they would team up with Aegon. So while the Tyrells are busy spending all of their power against the Faith Militant, I'm pretty sure that we're going to see the Hightowers and the Tarlys vouching for dominance over the Reach instead, with Tarly on the side of Aegon and Hightower on the side of Tommen and the Faith Militant.
Mind you, Oldtown is considered a religious center for the Faith of the Seven, it was where the High Septon had resided before the Sept of Baelor was built in King's Landing. They're still pretty close with the Faith.

bitbydeath

Anyone want to venture a guess on who D&D forgot to tell about their death? I'm feeling Loras, since he seems a certain goner, but maybe Tommen works too?

Well judging by the response it can't be Hodor...
I'm hoping for Brienne, she is just a series of unfortunate events.

James Hibberd on S6 budget "The show easily costs north of $10 million per episode at this point"

The upcoming battle has a lot to do with that increase in budget.

The mysterious battle ... represents the show's first-ever attempt at doing what producers call 'a proper battle,'" Hibberd writes. "As in, there are hundreds of human soldiers on one side of a field and another army on the other side, with a classical campaign of engagement that is highly tactical and shown from start to finish.

Moff

maybe the battle is dany on her dragons vs. an army of white walkers
jon and ramsey ride the other 2 dragons

-griffy-

Banned
Hopefully it's closer to Blackwater than The Watchers on the Wall.

Sounds like they're aiming bigger than either. More like Braveheart or Gladiator.

They don't have to relegate the battle to off screen by knocking Tyrion out or just hearing the battle over black like the Fist, or use the darkness of a night setting to infer scale without showing it as in Blackwater or the Wall, or use a literal wall to mostly contain the fighting ala Hardhome.

They have the budget and the means to do it "for real" this time. It's telling that all the bits we've seen in trailers shows the battle taking place during the day in an open field. Nothing to hide anymore.

RaidenZR

I've been under the assumption that GoT is probably $100 million production for a couple seasons now. Apparently the first season of Vinyl is $100 million, and I have a hard time imagining season's 4 or 5 of GoT not matching this production costs.

Jesus, what?! Is that just for Mick Jagger and Scorcese's paychecks?

Speevy

Banned
I mean no disrespect, but this thread is now the most confusing minefield of discussion in the history of being a fan of anything.

You can refer to things we can obviously see in a trailer, like Jon being in a big battle, but you can't discuss him coming back in the books.

You can discuss promo photos that have been released, but not to the extent that they uncover material that may or may not exist in The Winds of Winter.

You can talk about things in the book that haven't come to pass in the show but might spoil show watchers, but you can't discuss things that have been heavily rumored through numerous legitimate interviews with actual people running the show.

If we were talking about Breaking Bad, I could see some problems with talking about for example, a leaked episode in which an important character died.

This show is very much a different animal. Its lore, and the words that GRRM has penned have burst the dam and poured into the subtext of every discussion, both in this thread and that other one. To the extent that people were able to say they think Tony Soprano might die on the last episode of the Sopranos, or that Walter White might die on the last episode of Breaking Bad, I feel we should be able to talk about the big elephant in the room.

No one thinks Jon is dead, and D and D are discussing a big battle that features a person who is obviously him in an official trailer. You don't need the Spanish leak to confirm that.

If HBO wants to show us something, I feel like we should be able to talk about it without restriction.

Gigglepoo

The end of season four is way weirder than I remembered. Skeletons killing Jojen? Leaf throwing fireballs!?

It's nice seeing Cersei and Jamie back together, though. Those crazy kids could have a future.

gutshot

I mean no disrespect, but this thread is now the most confusing minefield of discussion in the history of being a fan of anything.

You can refer to things we can obviously see in a trailer, like Jon being in a big battle, but you can't discuss him coming back in the books.

You can discuss promo photos that have been released, but not to the extent that they uncover material that may or may not exist in The Winds of Winter.

You can talk about things in the book that haven't come to pass in the show but might spoil show watchers, but you can't discuss things that have been heavily rumored through numerous legitimate interviews with actual people running the show.

If we were talking about Breaking Bad, I could see some problems with talking about for example, a leaked episode in which an important character died.

This show is very much a different animal. Its lore, and the words that GRRM has penned have burst the dam and poured into the subtext of every discussion, both in this thread and that other one. To the extent that people were able to say they think Tony Soprano might die on the last episode of the Sopranos, or that Walter White might die on the last episode of Breaking Bad, I feel we should be able to talk about the big elephant in the room.

No one thinks Jon is dead, and D and D are discussing a big battle that features a person who is obviously him in an official trailer. You don't need the Spanish leak to confirm that.

If HBO wants to show us something, I feel like we should be able to talk about it without restriction.

The problem is set photos and leaked spoilers have made what should be just speculation ("Is that blurry figure in the trailer really Jon Snow?") into fact. There's also the context of the battle which has already been spoiled multiple times in this thread, that as far as I know, has never been revealed by any official sources. Again, set photos and leaked spoilers confirming what has been common speculation.

The question then becomes at what point does speculation cross over into spoilers? I would say whenever that speculation is backed by leaked info and not official promo material. At that point, you should tread carefully and not just assume everyone will be reading and following the leaked stuff.

To go back to your Jon Snow in the trailer example. If you want to speculate that it is him based on officially released material (trailers and promo shots), that is fine. If your corroborating evidence that it is Jon is leaked set photos and a leaked plot synopsis, that is now in spoiler territory.

If people have comments, concerns, or suggestions on the thread, please feel free to send them via PM to me or another moderator. We'll discuss them among staff and figure out a path forward. As usual, we would appreciate it if those comments were kept out of the thread and addressed via PM. Thank you.

Keep in mind that finding the right level of spoiler discussion for the thread is a balancing act with competing interests. What you personally want might not line up with what other posters are seeking from the thread.

In the meantime, the rules exist as they have for numerous seasons. Aired content from episodes is, of course, fair game. Discussion of material from the published books is fine. Please spoiler tag discussion of The Winds of Winter preview chapters. As with tv threads on GAF, please spoiler tag discussion of content from episodes that haven't aired yet including: trailers, previews, interviews, set leaks, promo photos, etc... I understand that enforcement has been lax in the offseason, which has led to some confusion.

If you have any questions, please send me or another moderator a PM. Thanks.

NeoGiff

So Brienne
gets to kill Stannis and save Sansa? With no consequences for her actions? Why am I not surprised?

If this happens in the premiere as Alfie has implied, then this awkward situation will actually be compounded further due to the season 5 finale airing on HBO right before the season 6 premiere.

Brienne
abandons her post (2 seconds after which the candle lights up), crosses a battlefield into the woods, finds the one man she's looking for among thousands of corpses, kills him, gets back on her horse, rides down some Boltons, and finds Sansa anyway
. What?!

Massa

If this happens in the premiere as Alfie has implied, then this awkward situation will actually be compounded further due to the season 5 finale airing on HBO right before the season 6 premiere.

Brienne
abandons her post (2 seconds after which the candle lights up), crosses a battlefield into the woods, finds the one man she's looking for among thousands of corpses, kills him, gets back on her horse, rides down some Boltons, and finds Sansa anyway
. What?!

When you don't have 5 years to figure out how to go from every A to every B you have to take a leap like that here and there. :p

Brienne
. What?!

It's not even about writing/dialogue or whatever...they're bad at plotting.

- Network of Thrones - a couple mathematicians use graph theory to determine the most interconnected character in the series. (Tyrion)

3FAsoBs.jpg

WiCnet with a few comments.

gutshot

- Network of Thrones - a couple mathematicians use graph theory to determine the most interconnected character in the series. (Tyrion)

3FAsoBs.jpg

WiCnet with a few comments.

It's interesting data but it's only based on ASOS. WiCnet's post is wrong. A more accurate statement would be that Tyrion, Jon and Sansa are the "main" characters of that book. Not the whole story.

I would actually like to see their algorithm applied to AFFC/ADWD. I suspect Tyrion's importance would go down as he interacts with decidedly less important players in ADWD.

Pachimari

So this is were people hang out while the season is off?

As some few people know, some months ago I sat down with Game of Thrones, but as me and my girlfriend broke up, I hadn't been able to keep at it - until today.

A little hour ago I started up Season 1 Episode 1, and I'm absolutely loving it so far. How it slowly introduces me to the various factions, its characters, their allies, their intentions and goal and to the whole world of Westeros.

I'm also using the interactive guide to keep me on the right track with no spoilers. I haven't read any spoilers anywhere whatsoever, so I absolutely know nothing. I know that people die, that the actress playing Sansa Stark is cool, and that Season 6 starts up on April 24.

Wish me all the best while I venture out on the adventure, so many of you have been on for the past five years.

Here's to Westeros!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom