• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search your feelings, you know it to be true. Let the hate flow through you.

xhoEQaU.jpg
Who are these people and what have I been missing out on?!

ryseing

Great place to plug GAF's The Ringer OT. The Ringer is basically Grantland (the site that hosted Watch the Thrones, the pod these guys used to do) Redux. There was a S6 preview pod on the Channel 33 feed a couple of weeks ago.

While I'm not the biggest Chris/Andy fan their two co-hosts Mallory and Jason are an absolute delight. The new show will absolutely be worth watching if they have as big of a part as they did on WTT.

Is there really much of a relationship though? I know they got screeners back when GoT did screeners, but other than that is there really anything to it?

The talk show is a part of the Bill Simmons stuff anyways, and as far as I'm aware none of those people have a relationship with Linda and Elio.
Yeah, I never really got the impression that they were viewed as anything more than a fan outlet that received screeners as a courtesy.

One point brought up by memles and discussed briefly on Twitter was wondering how much editorial control HBO has over the aftershow content. It didn't seem like they were too bothered with dissecting the show from a more critical angle from their podcast, but I do wonder if they have free rein to, for example, delve into analysis of controversies that the show might generate, or if they'll tend to ignore them. We'll see how it turns out.

Speevy

Banned
So are those delightful people still sticking to their position of dropping the entire reason for their popularity?

Speevy

Banned
She's accurate ? As in many of her predictions from s5? Or something ? I've noticed she has a lot of attention to detail

Watch her video dissecting the trailer. She basically tells everything that is happening in every scene, and why it's happening, and what we're meant to think vs. what is true.

She does her research. There's a part where she's talking about some actors who were hired for small, unnamed roles and she has their picture next to the scene and everything.

There's a lengthy analysis of
why Melisandre's hair is messed up

Ishan

Watch her video dissecting the trailer. She basically tells everything that is happening in every scene, and why it's happening, and what we're meant to think vs. what is true.

She does her research. There's a part where she's talking about some actors who were hired for small, unnamed roles and she has their picture next to the scene and everything.

There's a lengthy analysis of
why Melisandre's hair is messed up

Oh yeah I've noticed her attention to detail was just wondering if she has a good track record at predicting etc but I guess predictions before season 6 we're much easier due to the books

Speevy

Banned
Oh yeah I've noticed her attention to detail was just wondering if she has a good track record at predicting etc but I guess predictions before season 6 we're much easier due to the books

I'm not sure. I just caught up with her now. I kind of feel sorry for people who accurately predicted last season though. What a dismal thing to see coming.

Yeah, I never really got the impression that they were viewed as anything more than a fan outlet that received screeners as a courtesy.

One point brought up by memles and discussed briefly on Twitter was wondering how much editorial control HBO has over the aftershow content. It didn't seem like they were too bothered with dissecting the show from a more critical angle from their podcast, but I do wonder if they have free rein to, for example, delve into analysis of controversies that the show might generate, or if they'll tend to ignore them. We'll see how it turns out.

Yeah I saw that and had thought about it as well. If they are going for a format similar to the Watch the Thrones podcast that they did with Mallory and Jason, that's something I'm interested in and also wasn't ever really hyper critical of aspects of the show (but they certainly discussed the controversial topics that sprung up). I understand the concern that because it's an HBO thing, it could end up being something more along the lines of the Hardwick shows on AMC. Given the people involved, I'm hopeful it's the former.

Lothar

Banned
I think people were talking about how Sansa would be the new Jeyne Poole before the season began, and even before the leak.

It was but no one really realized what that meant. Most thought Ramsay was going to do something horrible to Myranda and maybe Sansa would be forced to participate.

That's one thing that shocked everyone, readers and non-readers alike when it aired.

The dread when Ramsay, Theon, and Sansa were in the room together with no Myranda were around was something else.

Lothar

Banned
People thought it could happen. There was a ton of debate over it here. Even when it came out ahead of time that there was going to be a sex scene, there was still debate. Some thought she would seduce him like Margaery. I believe nearly everyone thought it would be more consensual than it was, since she made the decision to marry him. Even as it was happening, I still honestly thought it was all a plan by her and she was going to pull a knife out at any second and stab him in the neck.

Iksenpets

Banned
Yeah, I was pretty confident that Sansa-Ramsay was coming by the time the trailer hit, but I assumed that meant that Sansa was going to basically also be Manderly and coordinate the Northern resistance from the inside. Maybe she would manipulate Ramsay and get some power in that relationship. I would have been ok with the Ramsay marriage of it was coupled with something like that, where Sansa developed as a political actor.

Sean C

I was a skeptic about the Sansa-as-Jeyne thing until the trailer, but from that point I was quite certain she was going to be raped and imprisoned, based on interviews, etc. From that point, I ended up arguing with people who were sure the show would be "improving" Sansa's story by making her really take on the Boltons. A lot of people when the plot started (and even after the midpoint) were expecting her to, like, take out Roose or Ramsay somehow, or provide vital assistance to Stannis. It was pretty clear to me that, seeing as they were sending her to Winterfell, the needs of the overall plot would prevent her from actually accomplishing anything.

Basically, I think the writers convinced themselves they could have their cake and eat it too. Hence you have her doing "cool" stuff like insulting Ramsay to his face, which an astonishing amount of people view as meaningful resistance, while otherwise failing to even mildly inconvenience the Boltons. I think the popularity of Tyrion, especially, has led to many people assuming that insulting people is in and of itself game-playing.

Kozak

Banned
My disgust at the rape scene with Sansa was more so that the show built up that Sansa had finally started playing the game yet she turned into a hopeless slave as soon as Ramsay entered the picture..

Basically, I think the writers convinced themselves they could have their cake and eat it too. Hence you have her doing "cool" stuff like insulting Ramsay to his face, which an astonishing amount of people view as meaningful resistance, while otherwise failing to even mildly inconvenience the Boltons. I think the popularity of Tyrion, especially, has led to many people assuming that insulting people is in and of itself game-playing.

See also having her 'take control' by arranging her own escape, which actually amounts to picking a lock so she can wait for someone else to save her, which then fails (convenien.. dramatically) and Theon has to save her anyway. She had no plan whatsoever and was just relying on other people to help her out.

Sansa did more to help herself & her chances of escape back in book 2 than she did in season 5.

Ishan

Actually having seen a few videos and the comments by cast I think the big white walker moment will be a reenactment of fist of the first men massacre .. But with some more characterization to it

Ishan

My disgust at the rape scene with Sansa was more so that the show built up that Sansa had finally started playing the game yet she turned into a hopeless slave as soon as Ramsay entered the picture..

But this is ridiculous I'm sure even the mountain would be raped by Ramsey once within his power circle . the weak point was sansa agreeing to it (winterfell etc). once she was at winterfell it was inevitable wasn't it ? Only an idiot would assume she would somehow play him in the midst of his power structure and coming from someone who was just learning the game... Anyone who assumes otherwise doesn't have a grasp of the brutality and absolute power ramsey wields once you're in his territory ... Maybe tyrion or oberyn or Tywin could manage it and those are but maybes and they are big shots sansa is just learning ... Its like she's getting it gets knocked down more and learns more . you don't suddenly just become great at the game . I think the character arc is perfectly fine you don't become a great manipulator in black and white there is a lot of grey along the way

Edit : if you go from sheep to buffalo doesn't mean you can fight off the lions and crocodiles yet . the elephant stage takes longer .

Chuckie

It was but no one really realized what that meant. Most thought Ramsay was going to do something horrible to Myranda and maybe Sansa would be forced to participate.

That's one thing that shocked everyone, readers and non-readers alike when it aired.

The dread when Ramsay, Theon, and Sansa were in the room together with no Myranda were around was something else.

I think a lot of people realized exactly what that meant. It wasn't a surprise whatsoever. Sophie Turner already mentioned in December 2014 that she was in a traumatizing scene.

Traumatizing scene + marriage to Ramsay - Jeyne Poole really spelled it out, and not only for me but a lot of readers if I remember correctly.

Ishan

I think a lot of people realized exactly what that meant. It wasn't a surprise whatsoever. Sophie Turner already mentioned in December 2014 that she was in a traumatizing scene.

Traumatizing scene + marriage to Ramsay - Jeyne Poole really spelled it out, and not only for me but a lot of readers if I remember correctly.

I mean to me it was obvious from her agreeing to the plan with littlefinger . I wasn't shocked at the least by that scene ... I'm Surprised so many ppl were

But this is ridiculous I'm sure even the mountain would be raped by Ramsey once within his power circle . the weak point was sansa agreeing to it (winterfell etc).once she was at winterfell it was inevitable wasn't it ?

Yes.

Only an idiot would assume she would somehow play him in the midst of his power structure and coming from someone who was just learning the game... Anyone who assumes otherwise doesn't have a grasp of the brutality and absolute power ramsey wields once you're in his territory ... Maybe tyrion or oberyn or Tywin could manage it and those are but maybes and they are big shots sansa is just learning ... Its like she's getting it gets knocked down more and learns more . you don't suddenly just become great at the game . I think the character arc is perfectly fine you don't become a great manipulator in black and white there is a lot of grey along the way

If only there was a way to criticise the show for specifically writing a story to ensure someone gets raped without arguing whether it made sense within the story. Anything can make sense within the context of a story but why these stories exist are worth discussing.

You can't have it both ways. You can't write a story that doesn't follow the internal logic of your series and has characters making decisions that don't make sense and then fall back on those characters and internal logic to justify the fallout of that story.

Pluto

Who are these people and what have I been missing out on?!
Two superfans who know the novels by heart, GRRM uses them as walking encyclopedias and gives them early access to stuff he's written, they have egos the size of Jupiter.
The woman (Linda) is unpleasantness personified, if you disagree with her she becomes really nasty. The guy (Elio) shares a lot of her opinions but unlike her he has heard the word diplomacy before and is able to form sentences without belittling other people.

I actually watched all of their post episode videos on youtube the last two seasons, as annoying as they cam be as persons, they do know the novels and it's always kinda funny to see steam coming out of Linda's ears when the show doesn't change something.

But the best thing ever was when Linda "I hate every deviation from the novels and D&D are incompetent hacks" Antonsson took a deep breath and declared that the thing many fans didn't like actually made sense ... it was glorious. The fandom was getting really pissed at D&D and Linda looked straight into the camera and defended their decision, you could tell it was killing her inside. I figured she knows that [potential TWOW spoiler]
Sansa gets raped eventually, so she had to defend it because it's George's word, the circumstances will be different and she pointed out that she didn't like Sansa being with the Boltons but the rape itself? She defended that despite that being the first time the majority of the show watchers would have agreed with her had she ripped D&D a new one.

Sean C

See also having her 'take control' by arranging her own escape, which actually amounts to picking a lock so she can wait for someone else to save her, which then fails (convenien.. dramatically) and Theon has to save her anyway. She had no plan whatsoever and was just relying on other people to help her out.

Sansa did more to help herself & her chances of escape back in book 2 than she did in season 5.
That whole scenario actually highlights one of the things that irritates me most about how many assess Sansa's character, namely, that she's often assessed not on her own actions but on how things completely outside her knowledge or control play out.

That's a case in point. There's a remarkable degree of similarity between the whole Brienne/Old Lady (could she not have had a name?) plot in Season 5 and the Littlefinger/Dontos setup in Book 2, with the exception of Sansa actually spending some time assessing whether to trust Dontos. In both cases, Sansa is approached out of the blue with an offer of escape (though in the show, literally approached, whereas in the book Sansa had to investigate the offer herself), and decides to go with it. Yet Sansa's involvement in the Dontos plot is routinely dismissed by her critics as a sign of how naive she is, and how she's just doing what other people tell her -- whereas her trying to light the candle is held up as her being proactive.

The only difference between these two scenarios (other than Sansa being less active in Winterfell) is that the person behind the Old Lady is Brienne, a hero, whereas the person behind Dontos is Baelish, a villain. But Sansa has no idea about either of them, so from her POV the actions are basically identical.

Lothar

Banned

I don't think that spelled it out. Because there was still a lot of different things they could have done. I remember many thinking that Myranda would be the Jeyne Poole replacement and the traumatizing scene would be that Sansa watched it. People said if Myranda wasn't replacing Jeyne, what's the point of adding Myranda to the show? I still don't know the answer to that one.

I did a search for Sophie Turner and traumatizing and interview.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=142265824&highlight=traumatic#post142265824
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=837473&highlight=sophie+turner+traumatic&page=171

Pepole are thinking she might to do something sexual with Littlefinger or the traumatic scene will be her murdering Robin.

Chuckie

I don't think that spelled it out. Because there was still a lot of different things they could have done. I remember many thinking that Myranda would be the Jeyne Poole replacement and the traumatizing scene would be that Sansa watched it. People said if Myranda wasn't replacing Jeyne, what's the point of adding Myranda to the show? I still don't know the answer to that one.

I did a search for Sophie Turner and traumatizing and interview.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=142265824&highlight=traumatic#post142265824
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=837473&highlight=sophie+turner+traumatic&page=171

Pepole are thinking she might to do something sexual with Littlefinger or the traumatic scene will be her murdering Robin.

I said Sansa's interview + marriage to Ramsay. Not just the interview.
You said no one suspected it. I am simply telling you that people did. Not back in December, but that info combined with when Littlefinger introduced her to Ramsay (gave her to him) was for a lot people a clear indicator. I personally don't know anyone who was actually surprised by it (as in friends who watch it too I mean) by the time it actually happened.

Patriots7

No, people predicted the Sansa rape too. Many were dreading it would happen and were more disgusted than surprised when it did.

The people surprised were the ones arguing that D&D would actually try to be creative with her role. Naïveté at its finest.

"My family still has friends in the North"
*next morning*
*Dead old lady*

God I hate season 5. It's not even the shit change to Sansa's storyline that bothered me, but they couldn't even capture the tension between the marriage and the Northerners that existed in the books with Jeyne.

Lothar

Banned
I said Sansa's interview + marriage to Ramsay. Not just the interview.
You said no one suspected it. I am simply telling you that people did. Not back in December, but that info combined with when Littlefinger introduced her to Ramsay (gave her to him) was for a lot people a clear indicator. I personally don't know anyone who was actually surprised by it (as in friends who watch it too I mean) by the time it actually happened.

If you read the posts back when it happened, people were shocked. There was anger afterwards. There wasn't anger before, just dread. Even as it was starting to happen I was still wondering what her plan was. Then she screamed and it went to credits and I was like "Oh. So no plan."

People said if Myranda wasn't replacing Jeyne, what's the point of adding Myranda to the show? I still don't know the answer to that one..

Myranda was added to give Theon a catalyst to develop his Greyjoy self again. Since in the show, we lack the entire subplot of Theon developing away from Reek. Furthermore, Theon taking over Winterfell and (supposedly) killing Sansa's brothers obviously made Sansa distrustful towards Theon, despite what they're forced to experience together.
So Myranda was mostly there to spell out the direness of the situation, and to give both characters a reason to decide to work together.

She wasn't a very good plot device, admittedly, but she certainly was one of the less offensive original characters D&D brought into the show.

Sean C

Myranda's main role (other than T&A) was another thing I guessed early, namely, she was a minor villain who could be killed by Theon in the escape, thus adding a climactic moment for the character.

Lothar

Banned
Myranda was added to give Theon a catalyst to develop his Greyjoy self again. Since in the show, we lack the entire subplot of Theon developing away from Reek. Furthermore, Theon taking over Winterfell and (supposedly) killing Sansa's brothers obviously made Sansa distrustful towards Theon, despite what they're forced to experience together.
So Myranda was mostly there to spell out the direness of the situation, and to give both characters a reason to decide to work together.

She wasn't a very good plot device, admittedly, but she certainly was one of the less offensive original characters D&D brought into the show.

Theon should have developed his Greyjoy self again by talking to the Godswood Heart Tree. I'm still upset that wasn't in the show. That was my favorite chapter in the book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom