• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theon should have developed his Greyjoy self again by talking to the Godswood Heart Tree. I'm still upset that wasn't in the show. That was my favorite chapter in the book.

For good reason, too. Those chapters are probably GRRM's best work in the series to date.

What did D&D think about those chapters, you ask?

"There was as subplot we loved from the books, but it used a character that’s not in the show."

“You have this storyline with Ramsay. Do you have one of your leading ladies—who is an incredibly talented actor who we’ve followed for five years and viewers love and adore—do it? Or do you bring in a new character to do it? To me, the question answers itself: You use the character the audience is invested in.”

They loved the Jeyne Poole subplot? What a strange thing to say...

Well, what's truly odd is that the subplot is Theon's subplot. It's his character arc. But they're stressing and putting more of an emphasis on Ramsay. Which is the wrong take away from the Jeyne Pool storyline.

D&D do this all the time though. They take material from the books and ignore the intent behind the text because they either don't understand the subtext or don't care and are using GRRM's set pieces and characters to tell the story D&D want to tell.

For example - at the end of Season 5 I was beyond irritated with Daznak's Pit because the commentary from D&D amounted to "Oh so Drogon senses Dany is in trouble and goes to the fighting pit to rescue her". But the actual intent behind that scene is that the dragon is drawn to the fighting pit because of the scent of blood and carnage, he doesn't give a flying fuck about Dany. And when Drogon is attacked and Dany realizes he is in danger - she finally embraces her identity as a Targarayen after a book's lengths identity crisis in Meereen, and literally whips that fucking dragon into submission and rides him the fuck out of there.

But D&D instead chose to make a character defining moment from the books into a damsel in distress moment for the show. Why? There's so many other weird plot devices and choices outside Myranda that it makes me wonder how successful the show will be when D&D no longer have GRRM's set pieces from the books as a back drop for their dumb version of the story to fall back on.

mantidor

I think they just fall often into TV tropes thinking the audience is too dumb to follow. Like that candle crap and how Brienne misses it for like one second, it was the tritest, "tropiest" thing ever.

I think they just fall often into TV tropes thinking the audience is too dumb to follow. Like that candle crap and how Brienne misses it for like one second, it was the tritest, "tropiest" thing ever.

I understand that logic, but I think the books have done as well as they have because they don't treat the readership like dummies. And Game of Thrones is the poster child for televisions rebirth as a serious story telling medium so its frustrating to see that even in that context, the show is still relying on stupid tired tropes that we've already seen and have been watching for decades.

- EW interviews Maisie Williams
Any final season 6 thoughts?

This year is so great because we’ve whittled it down. You can see the final storylines forming. We lost a lot of people last year and that makes it really exciting. There are fewer people on Arya’s list. But there’s also fewer people to fight for the throne.
- Glamour hitting the important issues in their talk with Emilia Clarke
GLAMOUR: How come, in a show full of women’s breasts, butts, even the occasional vagina, we never saw your husband Khal Drogo’s dong?

I understand that logic, but I think the books have done as well as they have because they don't treat the readership like dummies. And Game of Thrones is the poster child for televisions rebirth as a serious story telling medium so its frustrating to see that even in that context, the show is still relying on stupid tired tropes that we've already seen and have been watching for decades.

Game of Thrones has pretty much become a Hollywood blockbuster at this point, and like every blockbuster the sequel must be 'bigger & better' than the last. Stuff easily falls by the wayside when you're constantly having to one-up yourself, even without the once-a-season spectacle episode.

It feels like something Zack Synder would come up with. Shallow characters, claims of being 'adult' because it's grimdark fantasy and a surface-level (and often damaging) exploration/exploitation of serious topics.

That Glamour interview lol

"GLAMOUR: If you were writing some Game of Thrones fan fiction, what story line would you like to see unfold?
EC: I want to see Daenerys and her three dragons share the throne. Eat goat they’ve barbecued. And bring back all the pretty boys, get them to take their trousers down, and be like, “I’m now the queen of everything! I’d like close-ups of all the boys’ penises, please.”

I love Emilia

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
- EW interviews Maisie Williams

We lost a lot of people last year and that makes it really exciting. There are fewer people on Arya’s list.

the writers taking shortcuts isnt something to be excited about maisie

- Glamour hitting the important issues in their talk with Emilia Clarke

GLAMOUR: Another criticism that’s been pointed at the show concerns its depictions of rape. Khaleesi—
EC: —was raped in season one.
GLAMOUR: By her husband. A lot of people came away from that arc with the unsettling impression that almost immediately after the rape she falls in love with and dedicates herself to her rapist.
EC: Yes. Well, Daenerys and Khal Drogo’s arranged marriage, and the customary rape that followed—ask George R.R. Martin why he did that, ’cause that’s on him.

It actually isn't on GRRM, since, you know, it doesn't happen that way in the books.

Lothar

Banned
the writers taking shortcuts isnt something to be excited about maisie

It actually isn't on GRRM, since, you know, it doesn't happen that way in the books.

Even if their first night was debatable in the books, GRRM did have her crying into her pillow each night while he was doing her and contemplating suicide. So it kind of did happen like that in the books.

Lothar

Banned
Oh, you're right. That's still a terrible answer.

The answer is probably because Emilia never liked that part of the story of falling in love with her rapist. If I'm remembering it right, it was her complaints in the first episode that was the reason why they changed it. It didn't make any sense to her that Dany would say "Yes" and agree to it or worse, want Drogo to have sex with her. She had a good point. I consider that to be a good change. That was really weird in the books.

kswiston

Even if their first night was debatable in the books, GRRM did have her crying into her pillow each night while he was doing her and contemplating suicide. So it kind of did happen like that in the books.

It's also a fantasy world that is based on the middle ages, where noble women didn't exactly have much say in what happened to them in marriages that were arranged for them by their family members.

The book/show gives several examples of unhappy arranged marriages (all of which would have involved the same stuff that happened with Dany at some level), so I don't think they were trying to glorify it.

EDIT: I think the entire point of the show is that life in that era was horrible if you weren't in a position of power.

KahooTs

Perhaps if they'd smacked Emilia Clarke down then there'd have been some subtlety in her performance. But that would have required them understanding the scene in order to explain it to her.

Faddy

Banned
Well, what's truly odd is that the subplot is Theon's subplot. It's his character arc. But they're stressing and putting more of an emphasis on Ramsay. Which is the wrong take away from the Jeyne Pool storyline.

D&D do this all the time though. They take material from the books and ignore the intent behind the text because they either don't understand the subtext or don't care and are using GRRM's set pieces and characters to tell the story D&D want to tell.

For example - at the end of Season 5 I was beyond irritated with Daznak's Pit because the commentary from D&D amounted to "Oh so Drogon senses Dany is in trouble and goes to the fighting pit to rescue her". But the actual intent behind that scene is that the dragon is drawn to the fighting pit because of the scent of blood and carnage, he doesn't give a flying fuck about Dany. And when Drogon is attacked and Dany realizes he is in danger - she finally embraces her identity as a Targarayen after a book's lengths identity crisis in Meereen, and literally whips that fucking dragon into submission and rides him the fuck out of there.

But D&D instead chose to make a character defining moment from the books into a damsel in distress moment for the show. Why? There's so many other weird plot devices and choices outside Myranda that it makes me wonder how successful the show will be when D&D no longer have GRRM's set pieces from the books as a back drop for their dumb version of the story to fall back on.

in my opinion that was bad writing from George. I get the symbolism of the situation but when you have Drogon basically dues ex machina Dany out of a perilous situation it comes off better if he had a reason to be there instead of "lol lucky drogon was in the area and not 100s of miles away". Plus they already hit the heavy dragon/slave symbolism when she chained them up at the end of season 4 and when bartering for the unsullied so no need to do it again.

The connection between the dragons and their riders is going to be pretty important in the story yet to be told imo. And if you have read the Princess and the Queen you can see where GRRM folds in dragon and rider lore.

Sean C

in my opinion that was bad writing from George. I get the symbolism of the situation but when you have Drogon basically dues ex machina Dany out of a perilous situation it comes off better if he had a reason to be there instead of "lol lucky drogon was in the area and not 100s of miles away".
Drogon didn't deus ex machina her out of a perilous situation. She wasn't in danger in the book.

in my opinion that was bad writing from George. I get the symbolism of the situation but when you have Drogon basically dues ex machina Dany out of a perilous situation it comes off better if he had a reason to be there instead of "lol lucky drogon was in the area and not 100s of miles away". Plus they already hit the heavy dragon/slave symbolism when she chained them up at the end of season 4 and when bartering for the unsullied so no need to do it again.

The connection between the dragons and their riders is going to be pretty important in the story yet to be told imo. And if you have read the Princess and the Queen you can see where GRRM folds in dragon and rider lore.

But it's not a duex ex machina in the book. Dany already survived an alleged assassination attempt unbeknownst to her (the poisoned locusts), and was just chilling watching the matches. She wasn't saved at the last minute from being killed in a ridiculous harpy attack, as in the show. Drogon doesn't magically appear and save her in the book.

Speevy

Banned
D and D: "So in this scene, Khal Drogo rapes you. You're naked and getting raped for us...I mean by Khal Drogo."

Emilia: "So this is what happens in the books."

D and D: "Yes. The books. George R.R. Martin, he's a sick man. We're at his mercy. As we said, undress."

This is not really what happened though. In the books she was in a good situation, until the dragon showed up and fucked everything up. She was in peace talks with the Yunkai, the killings in Mereen were stopping and it was all the result of her non-violent diplomacy, after pushing away her oh so tempting Targaryen violent instincts. Her character trajectory was moving towards staying in Mereen and giving up her pipe dreams about Westeros. The dragon poisoned peace talks by killing important people, and moved her away from the city. The moment she was gone, her advisors managed to fuck everything up in spectacular faction, and in the end Daznak's Pit will see her efforts of a peaceful solution ruined. Which is making her embrace the fire and blood part of her legacy and speed her along onto Westeros and fully complete her transition from heroine to villain.

Of course, the TV series missed all the subtlety of her aDwD character arc and made Daznak's Pit into a Deus Ex machina and an excuse for an attempt at a visually impressive set piece.

KahooTs

In the books Dany jumps in the pit to save Drogon. Symbolically that was the point, she could have had her peace, the city, but the price was she'd have to give up the dragon (look the other way), the literal and internal. She screams when Drogon is stabbed in the neck, Hizdar says kill it, Barristan holds her and tells her to look away, at that point she thinks they're going to kill Drogon and she wrestles away from Barristan and jumps in the pit to save it.

Faddy

Banned
She is in danger. Meereen on the brink of war, under siege, dying of flux and she has what is basically a random encounter with Drogon who takes her far away and out of the conflict. That he didn't burn her enemies really isn't the point, her whole story was altered from out of nowhere with an unprecedented turn of events. And in the books it is even more frustrating because all the build up of multiple POVs trying to meet her.

Lothar

Banned
Perhaps if they'd smacked Emilia Clarke down then there'd have been some subtlety in her performance. But that would have required them understanding the scene in order to explain it to her.

"Ok, in this scene, you're a teenage girl being sold to a violent barbarian against your will, you're terrified, but the sight of his manhood makes you wet, you take his hands and shove them down to your vagina to feel, and this is the start of a beautiful loving relationship."

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
vs

"Ok, in this scene, you're a young woman being sold to a violent barbarian against your will, you're terrified, and he rapes you, but this is the start of a beautiful loving relationship."

Lothar

Banned
The book did both, which makes the first night being consensual that much more odd.

Even the nights brought no relief. Khal Drogo ignored her when they rode, even as he had ignored her during their wedding, and spent his evenings drinking with his warriors and bloodriders, racing his prize horses, watching women dance and men die. Dany had no place in these parts of his life. She was left to sup alone, or with Ser Jorah and her brother, and afterward to cry herself to sleep. Yet every night, some time before the dawn, Drogo would come to her tent and wake her in the dark, to ride her as relentlessly as he rode his stallion. He always took her from behind, Dothraki fashion, for which Dany was grateful; that way her lord husband could not see the tears that wet her face, and she could use her pillow to muffle her cries of pain. When he was done, he would close his eyes and begin to snore softly and Dany would lie beside him, her body bruised and sore, hurting too much for sleep.

Day followed day, and night followed night, until Dany knew she could not endure a moment longer. She would kill herself rather than go on, she decided one night.

KahooTs

"Ok, in this scene, you're a teenage girl being sold to a violent barbarian against your will, you're terrified, but the sight of his manhood makes you wet, you take his hands and shove them down to your vagina to feel, and this is the start of a beautiful loving relationship."

Nearly no-one in Westeros or Essos marries where they want, more so women, that's just life as Dany knows it. She particularly resented it because he was a barbarian and she was scared, ok, then what happens?

Intimacy and men to Dany had been defined by Viserys. He's a bully, he's cruel and he's violent. Then she gets married off to Drogo. A barbarian who is renown for his violence and is a huge strong man compared to Viserys. She's expecting what Viserys does but worse, because Drogo is far stronger, physically imposing and supposedly more savage.

But she gets the unexpected, she gets gentle, she gets tender, more civilised than Viserys ever treated her and something she hasn't experienced before. Viserys never considered her feelings, Drogo does, Viserys treats her like property, Drogo doesn't. She's always felt afraid, Viserys made her feel afraid, Drogo made her feel safe.

She was expecting fire and blood, dragons plant no trees, the dragon's mercy, etc, Viserys shit. Instead she got Drogo, the man with all the power Viserys coveted, and he was gentle, it was good, she liked it. That's important, not just for the scene, but Dany's arc going forward, she's going to turn Viserys and forget the Drogo lesson, as harsh as Drogo was he was still capable of being gentle, of mercy.

But I doubt this is the sort of thing an actress only interested in playing a feminist icon thinks on.

Lothar

Banned
But she gets the unexpected, she gets gentle, she gets tender, more civilised than Viserys ever treated her and something she hasn't experienced before. Viserys never considered her feelings, Drogo does, Viserys treats her like property, Drogo doesn't. She's always felt afraid, Viserys made her feel afraid, Drogo made her feel safe.

See the above post. Yeah, she really got tender and gentle as she's thinking about killing herself as a way out of the brutal rapes.

KahooTs

Except the explanation is for why she consented on her wedding night, before that passage and the explanation is not for why she fell in love with him. And she doesn't fall in love with him in the circumstances you quoted, circumstances first change, their relationship changes, then she begins to love him.

Brakke

Banned
I was in on Drogon rescuing Dany on the show. The book gives a lot more time for her complicated dragon relationships to develop; on the show it was nice to have a glimmer of "yes they know her and love her".

The point of Myranda was to walk around naked in the one scene.

Worth.

Lothar

Banned
Except the explanation is for why she consented on her wedding night, before that passage and the explanation is not for why she fell in love with him. And she doesn't fall in love with him in the circumstances you quoted, circumstances first change, their relationship changes, then she begins to love him.

I don't buy that a scared little girl would be sexually turned on by their captor on their first night because he's gentle, then want to kill herself in the subsequent nights to put an end to the rapes when she finds out that he's really not gentle, then fall in love with him.

I almost never take the side of the show over the book, but I think they made a right decision in this one case.

Ratrat

I don't buy that a scared little girl would be sexually turned on by their captor on their first night because he's gentle, then want to kill herself in the subsequent nights to put an end to the rapes when she finds out that he's really not gentle, then fall in love with him.

I almost never take the side of the show over the book, but I think they made a right decision in this one case.
She hates the sex, but its not something Drogo seems to be aware of, which is probably why she doesn't resent him. And her thoughts of killing herself seem to be more to do with the entense traveling/riding/heat etc.

Honestly, read the whole chapter again. She's happy after the wedding night until she experiences how tough the traveling is. The sex is painful because she is bruised from riding. She gets used to it, as her skin toughens with calouse and then she is fine again.

Chuckie

If you read the posts back when it happened, people were shocked. There was anger afterwards. There wasn't anger before, just dread. Even as it was starting to happen I was still wondering what her plan was. Then she screamed and it went to credits and I was like "Oh. So no plan."

But my point is (and after that I really want to quit this discussion) that a lot of people where not surprised. Including me and my friends and a few people now posting in this topic. So your initial comment that that no one saw that coming, is simply false.
Now I don't know the numbers..if more people were surprised than not...and it doesn't really matter...but I do know that there were people who saw that rape coming from the moment Littlefinger proposed Sansa getting married to Ramsay.

Lothar

Banned
She hates the sex, but its not something Drogo seems to be aware of, which is probably why she doesn't resent him. And her thoughts of killing herself seem to be more to do with the entense traveling/riding/heat etc.

Honestly, read the whole chapter again. She's happy after the wedding night until she experiences how tough the traveling is. The sex is painful because she is bruised from riding. She gets used to it, as her skin toughens with calouse and then she is fine again.

I'm sure there would be pain no matter what as she was a 13 year old being "ridden as relentlessly as he rode his stallion." Considering she was crying as he did it, I don't see much difference from what the book says about these nights and how the show handled her first night. You're right, he's not aware of it. He just sees her as a thing to fuck in the beginning after the first night. He doesn't seem to be giving her the option to say "No" any longer. She's definitely not wanting to do it, she's in pain, wanting to die, and she isn't saying "No."

I found the interview I was thinking of earlier from Season 1 where it says how it was changed because it wasn't making sense to the actors, if anyone wants to read it.

http://www.ew.com/article/2011/05/15/game-of-thrones-interview

Another strong response was over changing the physical relationship between Dany and Drogo, making it less consensual in the first two episodes.
DB: That first encounter between Daenerys and Drogo, originally we scripted it pretty much exactly as the book and we shot it that way for the pilot. But there was something to us, that while it worked in the book, seeing it on screen, here’s a girl who is absolutely terrified of this barbarian warlord she’s being married off to, it’s the last thing in the world she wants, yet somehow by the end of this wedding night she seems to be in a complete joyful sexual relationship with him. It didn’t entirely work for us.
DW: Also in the second episode she has to go back to the less consensual rougher relationship, which in the book works, but we just don’t have that amount of time and access to the character’s mind, it turns too quickly. It was something the actors themselves felt wasn’t gelling, they weren’t able to find an emotional hand-hold.
DB: We listen to our actors. When Emilia Clarke or Jason Momoa comes to us with something like this, we give it a lot of thought. It doesn’t always mean we change it, but Emilia mentioned the wedding night and the issues she was having it meshed with issues we were having ourselves.

Ratrat

Obviously they cant narrate and she cant act. They could have just took out the whole rape angle then.

You are still wrong either way in your interpretation of the books. Her actions make much more sense in the books and they failed to streamline or improve on it.

Lothar

Banned
Obviously they cant narrate and she cant act. They could have just took out the whole rape angle then.

You are still wrong either way in your interpretation of the books. Her actions make much more sense in the books and they failed to streamline or improve on it.

No, I'm not wrong. It was really stupid and made no sense in the book. The actors rightfully couldn't get into filming it like that. There was no way to narrate it into being believable.

Iksenpets

Banned

I will always defend the change the Dany and Drogo's wedding night. The book version makes sense from the point of view of a young girl raised in a medieval mindset that this is her husband's right and is completely normal, but the show doesn't have the ability to provide Dany's inner thoughts like that, and pretty consistently has characters have a more modern outlook on life, so show Dany is less comfortable with the idea of her arranged marriage, and shows it. The show chooses to be explicit about the fact that sex in an arranged marriage pretty much inherently involves rape, and I think that's a valid choice to make, and doesn't upset Dany's central narrative at all, since in both versions she does come to spend some time miserable and even suicidal about it.

I keep forgetting about Sam. Have we seen anything of his Horn Hill/Oldtown story lines this season in the previews?

There's a promo shot of him and Gilly belowdecks on a boat. Other than that, there's some leaked info and stuff that was spotted during filming.
There's apparently a scene of Sam talking with a maester outside the Citadel, and an extended dinner sequence with the whole Tarly family and Gilly at Horn Hill. No major maester characters were cast, so it sounds like the maesters just tell Sam he has to get rid of Gilly, and then the rest of the season is about him taking her to Horn Hill and introducing the viewer to Randyll through that. The main Oldtown plot looks like it's pushed to season 7, assuming it's happening at all.

- Washington Post: An illustrated guide to all 704 deaths in “Game of Thrones” (huge infographic)
- Business Insider: An insane amount of work goes into the battle scenes on 'Game of Thrones' (short vid on Hardhome)

EDIT: The art in that Washington Post infographic is pretty cool. If anyone wants an avatar for someone that's died already, that's a good source.

Like Barristan, Beric, or a fookin' legend of Gin Alley.

W3Web2l.png
c8gcbHv.png
u0DhvI3.png

ReccaKun

Neo Member
Two superfans who know the novels by heart, GRRM uses them as walking encyclopedias and gives them early access to stuff he's written, they have egos the size of Jupiter.
The woman (Linda) is unpleasantness personified, if you disagree with her she becomes really nasty. The guy (Elio) shares a lot of her opinions but unlike her he has heard the word diplomacy before and is able to form sentences without belittling other people.

I actually watched all of their post episode videos on youtube the last two seasons, as annoying as they cam be as persons, they do know the novels and it's always kinda funny to see steam coming out of Linda's ears when the show doesn't change something.

But the best thing ever was when Linda "I hate every deviation from the novels and D&D are incompetent hacks" Antonsson took a deep breath and declared that the thing many fans didn't like actually made sense ... it was glorious. The fandom was getting really pissed at D&D and Linda looked straight into the camera and defended their decision, you could tell it was killing her inside. I figured she knows that [potential TWOW spoiler]
Sansa gets raped eventually, so she had to defend it because it's George's word, the circumstances will be different and she pointed out that she didn't like Sansa being with the Boltons but the rape itself? She defended that despite that being the first time the majority of the show watchers would have agreed with her had she ripped D&D a new one.

That's hilarious!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom