• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean C

But the best thing ever was when Linda "I hate every deviation from the novels and D&D are incompetent hacks" Antonsson took a deep breath and declared that the thing many fans didn't like actually made sense ... it was glorious. The fandom was getting really pissed at D&D and Linda looked straight into the camera and defended their decision, you could tell it was killing her inside. I figured she knows that [potential TWOW spoiler]
Sansa gets raped eventually, so she had to defend it because it's George's word, the circumstances will be different and she pointed out that she didn't like Sansa being with the Boltons but the rape itself? She defended that despite that being the first time the majority of the show watchers would have agreed with her had she ripped D&D a new one.
They've indicated they don't really know anything about TWOW beyond the sample chapters GRRM has released.

This is not really what happened though. In the books she was in a good situation, until the dragon showed up and fucked everything up. She was in peace talks with the Yunkai, the killings in Mereen were stopping and it was all the result of her non-violent diplomacy, after pushing away her oh so tempting Targaryen violent instincts. Her character trajectory was moving towards staying in Mereen and giving up her pipe dreams about Westeros. The dragon poisoned peace talks by killing important people, and moved her away from the city. The moment she was gone, her advisors managed to fuck everything up in spectacular faction, and in the end Daznak's Pit will see her efforts of a peaceful solution ruined. Which is making her embrace the fire and blood part of her legacy and speed her along onto Westeros and fully complete her transition from heroine to villain.

Of course, the TV series missed all the subtlety of her aDwD character arc and made Daznak's Pit into a Deus Ex machina and an excuse for an attempt at a visually impressive set piece.

You know if Dany's character arc does go in the direction we all suspect it will I'd describe her as more of an antihero/antagonist than a villain. Let's leave the villain label to the Night King.

They've indicated they don't really know anything about TWOW beyond the sample chapters GRRM has released.

This has been my hunch since last season. It seems that several characters story arcs are based on D&D's own interpretations or projections and not GRRM's. I'm not one to criticize them and I generally think they've done a great job adapting this world and these characters. But there have been several steps along the way that made me say, "the show runners clearly didn't grasp where George was going with this." I hope that in a way, not knowing from here on out is liberating to them and allows them to write more confidently instead of trying to pair their own thoughts with the source material.

Linda defended the rape because she didn't consider it rape, not because she knows something about Winds. She has a long history of arguing husbands taking their marital "rights" in the bedroom is not rape in medieval times. Long before the show aired she was arguing that Robert never raped Cersei, because our modern concept of rape did not exist in the period of time GoT occurs in (real life example would be War Of Roses era).

She has a long history of arguing against certain aspects of feminism and diversity.

Iwan Rheon:

" This season fills him out a bit."

Maybe D&D are gonna do the shocker thing and have Ramsay be raped?

... Nah, that'd be too bold even for them.

She has a long history of arguing against certain aspects of feminism and diversity.

Oh God I remember her being so angry over black men being cast as Salladhor Saan and Xaro Xhoan Daxos. Truly the most important characters in the novels.

When will we know the new episode titles? Last years they were revealed in March.
Hibberd from EW apparently asked again yesterday, and HBO wouldn't give them out. It's a little odd that they won't considering that the premiere is later this week in Hollywood, iirc (though that doesn't mean they have to reveal it there) and the information has to go out to carriers (e.g. Comcast, DirecTV) for online guides and the like very soon. I imagine we'll know the first four or so sometime later this week?

DKehoe

Linda defended the rape because she didn't consider it rape, not because she knows something about Winds. She has a long history of arguing husbands taking their marital "rights" in the bedroom is not rape in medieval times. Long before the show aired she was arguing that Robert never raped Cersei, because our modern concept of rape did not exist in the period of time GoT occurs in (real life example would be War Of Roses era).

Yeh I was just going to post something similar. I've probably said it before in this thread but with the way Linda acts at times I'm surprised GRRM hasn't distracted himself from her.

Jacob4815

Hibberd from EW apparently asked again yesterday, and HBO wouldn't give them out. It's a little odd that they won't considering that the premiere is later this week in Hollywood, iirc (though that doesn't mean they have to reveal it there) and the information has to go out to carriers (e.g. Comcast, DirecTV) for online guides and the like very soon. I imagine we'll know the first four or so sometime later this week?

Thanks for the info! We'll wait and see.

gioGAF

I don't get all the hate. IMO, book Danny is garbage. She sells out for political reasons. All of her talk about freeing people and her convictions to her ideals go down the crapper when she decides to submit herself to book Lorak (forgot his name).

I despised that portion of the book. When reading it, I thought she had some sort of sneaky plan. But in the end, there is no plan, there is just book Lorak having his way with her. It put Danny back in the original Khal Drogo situation, destroying her progress. Her character felt stronger than at the beginning, but in one instant she goes back to being the sexual beast of burden for the man of political influence. Fuck that shit, GRRM shit the bed with the last 2 books IMO, they are very unfocused and feel like he is trying to pad shit out for more money (I don't blame him).

The Drogon situation is MUCH better in the show. In the book, he shows up because of the noise/carnage, he is nothing more than a dumb beast. In the show, he and Danny have a connection. I find the show version much more interesting and compelling. The Daznak Pit encounter is a much better "damsel in distress" situation than the one she is subjected to in the book (rich politician's bed buddy and who knows what else GRRM had in mind).

Again, D&D are not perfect, but they are doing a great job. GRRM wrote 3 spectacular books (A Game of Thrones.1996, A Clash of Kings.1999, and A Storm of Swords.2000). The next book (A Feast for Crows.2005) was release FIVE years later and the next one (A Dance with Dragons.2011) took another SIX years. I honestly think GRRM was done after the 3rd book, the popularity of the show and all the money brought him back but he can't be arsed to produce on the level he once did (1-3), so 4-5 are filled with filler nonsense.

I believe the last couple of years they have released all the titles at once instead of trickle out through the PR release for cable listings, which is something I would expect Hibberd to get, so that's surprising that he's in the dark as well.

The first five episodes are on HBO's online schedule, but of course the titles are missing.

Last year we only got 2 trailers so hopefully there's one more this year too.

I believe the last couple of years they have released all the titles at once instead of trickle out through the PR release for cable listings, which is something I would expect Hibberd to get, so that's surprising that he's in the dark as well.

The first five episodes are on HBO's online schedule, but of course the titles are missing.
Most if not all of the titles were leaked last year by that one website.

The Drogon situation is MUCH better in the show. In the book, he shows up because of the noise/carnage, he is nothing more than a dumb beast. In the show, he and Danny have a connection.

So you prefer a character who simply has an innate bond between her & the dragon rather than a character who actually has to work to be worthy of its attention and loyalty? He is not a "dumb beast", he is an animal attracted to noise & the smell of blood. There's nothing "dumb" about him.

I find the show version much more interesting and compelling. The Daznak Pit encounter is a much better "damsel in distress" situation than the one she is subjected to in the book (rich politician's bed buddy and who knows what else GRRM had in mind).

What exactly are you saying here? Are you saying that Dany being completely helpless and relying on Dario, Jorah and Tyrion fucking Lannister for protection, before appearing to give up and accept her death only to be saved by magical dragon-telepathy is less of a damsel in distress situation than her running into the pit to save her 'child, challenging the dragon, whipping him into submission and flying off on him?

EW has this bizarre fascination with the pulpy side of the show, you see their weird enthusiasm whenever they talk about rape and torture. "Ramsay is going to change, but don't worry! he is still a psychopath!"

Heh, if that's how Hibberd writes about it, no wonder D+D seem to give him preferred access.

More sides to Ramsay?

Like the rapey side and the torturous side?

I'm guessing legit embarrassment for letting Reek and Sansa getting away, and maybe some genuine fear and anxiety that he's got no claim on the north anymore and everything will go to Walda and Roose's kid.

Speculation/spoilers based on rumors:
Roose is SO fucking dead. Based on that plus a video interview Iwan and Michael did, I 100% believe the rumor that Ramsay kills Roose. With this new information, I can see it being in a rage when he realizes he's going to be denied Winterfell and the North. That line from the teaser "Winterfell is MINE. Come and see." Makes a lot of sense.

It sucks that Elio and Linda aren't watching and reviewing the show anymore. I enjoyed watching Linda have a meltdown at every turn. I'd love to see her talk shit about something and see that it was GRRM that wrote that and not D&D.

Violater

We're still going to relate everything to the books and how it makes sense within the world that Martin created.

To be honest at this point I am done waiting for Martin.
All the plot-lines rendered pointless by the show in my mind makes it hard to go back to the books.

Ratrat

I will always defend the change the Dany and Drogo's wedding night. The book version makes sense from the point of view of a young girl raised in a medieval mindset that this is her husband's right and is completely normal, but the show doesn't have the ability to provide Dany's inner thoughts like that, and pretty consistently has characters have a more modern outlook on life, so show Dany is less comfortable with the idea of her arranged marriage, and shows it. The show chooses to be explicit about the fact that sex in an arranged marriage pretty much inherently involves rape, and I think that's a valid choice to make, and doesn't upset Dany's central narrative at all, since in both versions she does come to spend some time miserable and even suicidal about it.
They should just take it out then. Because now I'm actually confused, he turns out to be just what she thought before marrying him but falls in love with him anyway?
Again, in the books she feels suicidal because of the harsh traveling. She hates the sex because of the pain caused from being bruised. She hides the fact by covering her face. Read it again and it makes perfect sense.

You know if Dany's character arc does go in the direction we all suspect it will I'd describe her as more of an antihero/antagonist than a villain. Let's leave the villain label to the Night King.

I just find her desires to conquer Westeros very selfish. So she will rule for a few years. Then what? She's barren so she won't leave a successor, so at the moment of her death, her country will be plunged into in-fighting again immediately. At least in Slaver's Bay she can change some things for the better. In Westeros all she will bring is fire and blood.

As soon as Dany gets on Drogon's back it becomes less visually impressive and more comical looking.

That's why I said it was an ATTEMPT at creating an impressive set piece ;)

I don't get all the hate. IMO, book Danny is garbage. She sells out for political reasons. All of her talk about freeing people and her convictions to her ideals go down the crapper when she decides to submit herself to book Lorak (forgot his name).

I despised that portion of the book. When reading it, I thought she had some sort of sneaky plan. But in the end, there is no plan, there is just book Lorak having his way with her. It put Danny back in the original Khal Drogo situation, destroying her progress. Her character felt stronger than at the beginning, but in one instant she goes back to being the sexual beast of burden for the man of political influence.

Her ideals don't go down the crapper. Her book 5 arc is about her coming to terms with the reality of ruling, rather than conquest. It's about pragmatism versus idealism. She changed Mereen for the better by abolishing the slave trade. Now it's about protecting her achievements. If she becomes killed or ousted from power, the city will go back to its old ways the moment she is gone. She has to compromize some of her values to consolidate her powers and protect her legacy.

(A real world comparison would be the choice of a liberal US voter between voting for Hillary or Bernie, as the best way to preserve, and build on, Obama's legacy.)

She is not solely a tool or beast of burden for Hizdar. Each of them represents to the other a way to build their power and pursue their ideals. They may not see eye to eye on everything, but both realize that the other is more useful as a friend than as an enemy. In other words, they are allies

Eh, I will probably watched this. Season 5 ran off the deep end for me in quite a few ways, but curious to see what happens. Bit bored with the Ramsay character, however. Hopefully less focus on his character. The actor did a good job on him, but his part of the story is tired.

Speevy

Banned
Eh, I will probably watched this. Season 5 ran off the deep end for me in quite a few ways, but curious to see what happens. Bit bored with the Ramsay character, however. Hopefully less focus on his character. The actor did a good job on him, but his part of the story is tired.

Major spoiler/speculation

I've got some bad news for you. Aside from possibly being killed by a warg-wolf, Ramsay is the star this year again.

KahooTs

Her ideals don't go down the crapper. Her book 5 arc is about her coming to terms with the reality of ruling, rather than conquest. It's about pragmatism versus idealism. She changed Mereen for the better by abolishing the slave trade. Now it's about protecting her achievements. If she becomes killed or ousted from power, the city will go back to its old ways the moment she is gone. She has to compromize some of her values to consolidate her powers and protect her legacy.
She rejected all that when she chose to go save Drogon. Meereen is going to be won by her people but be left an inhabitable hell hole, and they're all probably going to leave, start down the demons road to take Volantis before she gets out of the Dothraki arc. Her rule has been a failure, and she'll think it's because she was too soft and she's going to take the wrong lessons from it with her to Westeros. She will go all fire and blood, dragons plant no trees, you don't want to wake the dragon, give them all the dragon's mercy, etc, and that's where we get to the madness question and three close to her betraying her.

- Interview (part of one) with Aidan Gillen on Littlefinger in season 6.

HBO: He has had a hand in many devious acts in the show—does that trend continue in Season 6?

AG: If anything, one of the defining things for Littlefinger this coming season would be feeling some regret and admission to slack judgment when it came to Ramsay Bolton.

But he’s had his hand in so many devious acts that that’s always there by default. Although I’d see it more as strategy, daring and commitment.
HBO: Will there be a reunion with Sansa in Season 6?

AG: There always is. Those two are fellow travelers at this point. But as I said earlier, Petyr should be feeling really, really bad about where he left her in Season 5 and, if they do meet, he should try and make things up.

She rejected all that when she chose to go save Drogon. Meereen is going to be won by her people but be left an inhabitable hell hole, and they're all probably going to leave, start down the demons road to take Volantis before she gets out of the Dothraki arc. Her rule has been a failure, and she'll think it's because she was too soft and she's going to take the wrong lessons from it with her to Westeros. She will go all fire and blood, dragons plant no trees, you don't want to wake the dragon, give them all the dragon's mercy, etc, and that's where we get to the madness question and three close to her betraying her.

Her rule was not a failure. She was doing well until Drogon showed up and fucked everything up. Things don't start going badly until after she's gone. But it will probably make her THINK it was a failure, and like you say, make her take the wrong lessons with her to Westeros.

This is what I was trying to say in my first post which was in response to someone saying that Drogon showed up at Daznak's Pit as a Deus Ex Machina to save her from a perilous situation.

To me, Dany's desire to rule Westeros is rather childish. She knows nothing of any substance about the people there, and she doesn't have any concrete plans to transform Westeros in the way she wants. It's great to want to free the regular folk of Westeros, but you have to go beyond that. She is a quick study, I will give her that, but so far she has also demonstrated that she's as much her father as she is freedom fighter.

Okay, so Sansa is just going to forgive Littlefinger.. This show..

*contorted face*

"I feeeeelll really bad about your maahriage proposallll."

"It's okay."

"Don't you remembaah Sansar, the marriage was your idea? Remember? When you decided to stop being a bystander to suffering by sealing yourself inside the walls of a castle controlled by your enemies? If anyone should be apologizing it's you really, for ruining a perfectly good scheme..."

KahooTs

Her rule was not a failure. She was doing well until Drogon showed up and fucked everything up. Things don't start going badly until after she's gone. But it will probably make her THINK it was a failure, and like you say, make her take the wrong lessons with her to Westeros.

Sure, but she chose to enter the pit, to save Drogon when it looked like it'd be killed. She was miserable in the floppy ears that gave her peace, and chose instead to be the dragon.

Sure, but she chose to enter the pit, to save Drogon when it looked like it'd be killed. She was miserable in the floppy ears that gave her peace, and chose instead to be the dragon.

The entire book her story was about the conflict between what she thought she SHOULD be doing and what she WANTED to be doing. For the most part, pragmatism and good sense won out, but yes it was all ruined in that one moment where stress and emotions made her embrace her dragon side.

Lothar

Banned
They should just take it out then. Because now I'm actually confused, he turns out to be just what she thought before marrying him but falls in love with him anyway?
Again, in the books she feels suicidal because of the harsh traveling. She hates the sex because of the pain caused from being bruised. She hides the fact by covering her face. Read it again and it makes perfect sense.

Yes, it's called Stockholm Syndrome.

Why are you still saying she only feels suicidal because of the harsh traveling? I already gave you the quote of her thinking that he "rode her as relentlessly as he rode his stallion." You don't think that has something to do with the pain or her wanting to die? Clearly Drogo is not a gentle and kind man or whatever someone was saying here, since he was causing her this pain, and she felt she couldn't tell him "No."

Their first night in the show is exactly how their relationship was in the books after that bizarre unbelievable creepily written out of place first night of her getting wet for him.

Generally speaking, using the "c" word about a real person gets you a vacation.

I'm pretty sure that isn't the case. Against another user? Sure. But you only have to search for the word and real people are getting called it all over the forum.

I'm British, we say it a lot. Sorry.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
It's not her opinions on GOT, it's how she personally attacked people on twitter for having different opinions to her at the tail-end of season 5 while she was having her meltdown.

Trust me, it's justified.

You're personally attacking her because she personally attacked someone because they personally attacked her because...

Break the cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom