• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, all extras who died during a battle clash slaughter, such as Stannis' army X 2 (lol), the Moat Cailin ironmen, the northmen killed at Harrenhaal, the Lannisters killed in the north/Riverlands, red wedding soldiers, the wildlings and NW men killed by wights and whitewalkers, etc.

As for named characters that actually died off screen, Stannis Baratheon, Selyse Baratheon, Khal Head in a Bag, Syrio Forell, Jon Arryn, Benjen Stark possibly, Ros although you see her body, Xaro Xhoan and the whore traitor in their vault. I'm sure there are more.

Syrio is the best example. We never saw his death or body, but with Trant still being alive (at the time) it seems Syrio did die there.

Y0jKEsA.gif

MamaRobotnik always delivers

Burt

You could also do the traitor one with a developer jumping ship.
*Mellisandre returns to the wall after abandoning Stannis*

Jon: Microsoft?

Davos: EA?

Cut to Stannis on the fields outside Winterfell

Cut to a mounted army of Sony logos rising up on the horizon

Lothar

Banned
Well yeah, Littlefinger *does* have a super inaccurate read on Sansa lol that's his whole thing, projecting on her and not really understanding her.

More likely he has a perfect read and he's just using her. Both book and show. She doesn't want to marry in either, yet she goes along with it because he tells her to.

We need detective GAF to make the sinners atone for their crimes

#teamOllySaves
munchie64
phaonaut
Blatz
PhoenixDark
hammertomb
hoos30
Brakke
Dysun
Kain
Kyougar
Woody Invincible
schlongdog
kris.

O2p0kzy.png

SHAME

SHAME

SHAME

In any case, I guess I need to do a re-read now. last time I read the books was the end of 2012. Holy moley time flies.

Ratrat

More likely he has a perfect read and he's just using her. Both book and show. She doesn't want to marry in either, yet she goes along with it because he tells her to.
This is the show Littlefinger who threatened Cersei for no reason, flaunts his power in front of Varys, tries to get with Catelyn after Ned's death and had no apparent plan when he impulsively killed Lysa. I'm sure I'm missing a lot, but he is an idiot.

Roussow

So what's the book readers views on new original content from the show creators this season?

Olly, Sansas plot, etc?

So what's the book readers views on new original content from the show creators this season?

Olly, Sansas plot, etc?
Hardhome = Fantastic
Tyrion meeting Danny = Great
Olly = Whatever
Sansa = Dumb
Brienne doing nothing = Boring and shit
Brienne killing Stannis = Anticlimactic
'For the Watch' changes = Shite
Everything in Dorne = Dogshite

Hardhome = Fantastic
Tyrion meeting Danny = Great
Olly = Whatever
Sansa = Dumb
Brienne doing nothing = Boring and shit
Brienne killing Stannis = Anticlimactic
'For the Watch' changes = Shite
Everything in Dorne = Dogshite
To be fair, the bolded apply to the books as well.

I mean Dorne is basically medieval Spain and Outremer on steroids, which is never not awesome, but somehow GRRM makes me sigh every time an Areoh Hotah chaper comes up.

Marz

Remember when people thought Shireen having greyscale was going to turn out to be significant? Back when there were still Baratheons in Westeros?

Now the only people with a Baratheon last name are frauds.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Remember when people thought Shireen having greyscale was going to turn out to be significant? Back when there were still Baratheons in Westeros?

Now the only people with a Baratheon last name are frauds.
"People" means there's more than one. Bow down to Tommen of House Baratheon the First of His Name, King of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms.

Ratrat

I mean Dorne is basically medieval Spain and Outremer on steroids, which is never not awesome, but somehow GRRM makes me sigh every time an Areoh Hotah chaper comes up.
Books: slow world building
Show: mind numbing stupidity

That is my biggest problem this season. It's not that they changed shit. It's that they failed to make any of these story lines make any sense. Even solid stuff like Kings Landing has so many inconsistencies and issues that make the whole thing fall apart at the smallest bit of scrutiny. Dorne is flat out indefensible.

Lothar

Banned
This is the show Littlefinger who threatened Cersei for no reason, flaunts his power in front of Varys, tries to get with Catelyn after Ned's death and had no apparent plan when he impulsively killed Lysa. I'm sure I'm missing a lot, but he is an idiot.

Yeah, you're right. Good points.

SmZA

As for named characters that actually died off screen, Stannis Baratheon, Selyse Baratheon, Khal Head in a Bag, Syrio Forell, Jon Arryn, Benjen Stark possibly, Ros although you see her body, Xaro Xhoan and the whore traitor in their vault. I'm sure there are more.

Septa Mordane
Maester Luwin

deleted

No Stark left in Winterfell, Jon dead, Stannis gone..

I'm calling it now, the Wall will go down! The Walkers will invade Westeros and Winterfell will fall. Rickon will build it up again later.

Kings Landing will be unable to react because they are caught in a civil war of Sparrows against the Queen regent.

Dany will leave Mareen behind and begin her glorious conquering of Westeros with Dorn, head over to fix Kingslanding by dropping Tyrion off and head North to stop the cold.

This may be my favorite season so far since season 1. They moved at neckbreaking pace at times, but they managed to keep the shit show-exclusive stuff at a minimum. They only fucked up the rescue mission in Dorne up completely - the attempted rescue in broad daylight with the worst battle ever was a sight to behold.

Otherwise I liked, how they constantly kept moving. They densed up huge parts of the books and it didn't hinder the story. Sometimes it was even quite clever, which doesn't happen often with this show.
They had pretty amazing team ups with Tyrion this season, Dany is finally moving on, Stannis has reached his end etc.
I really liked the more dialog heavy episodes this season. And I didn't mind the action heavy stuff as much as in previous seasons, where it was often way too coincidental and too pulpy. Maybe I'm getting used to it and keep my expectations in check, but maybe they are getting better at it too.

Marz

I just don't get the point of Stannis' whole character if that's all it amounts too.

Is the whole purpose of him meandering around Westeros losing everywhere just to establish the Lord of Light/Azor Again prophecy into people's minds?

What did he actually do during 5 seasons of the show? We get a cool battle scene at the Blackwater, he kills his brother, introduces the iron bank, he saves the wall from the wildling horde, and then gets stranded in the snow loses everything and dies without accomplishing much of anything. Very unsatisfying in a storytelling medium. Works in real life but in a show or book I need satisfying conclusions.

Give him an epic showdown with Ramsay or Roose. Hell he could have even fought Brienne. Show of some of his strategic mind before the battle instead of him getting caught with his pants down etc. They fucked over Stannis man.

Ratrat

Has the content roundup been posted yet? Always enjoy reading unsullied episode reviews.

edit: I know Kit Herrington has 'confirmed' that he's not returning next season, but is there a chance they filmed his season 6 scenes already?

I just don't get the point of Stannis' whole character if that's all it amounts too.

Is the whole purpose of him meandering around Westeros losing everywhere just to establish the Lord of Light/Azor Again prophecy into people's minds?

What did he actually do during 5 seasons of the show? We get a cool battle scene at the Blackwater, he kills his brother, introduces the iron bank, he saves the wall from the wildling horde, and then gets stranded in the snow loses everything and dies without accomplishing much of anything. Very unsatisfying in a storytelling medium. Works in real life but in a show or book I need satisfying conclusions.

Give him an epic showdown with Ramsay or Roose. Hell he could have even fought Brienne. Show of some of his strategic mind before the battle instead of him getting caught with his pants down etc. They fucked over Stannis man.

Thing is this might actually be the same in books too. But GRRM decided to not write that chapter for last book.

Moff

well what was the point of robb stark?
I'd say with establishing melisandre and azor ahai stannis' storyline amounted to more than robb.

Well, Brienne and Pod's road trip wasn't great but it much better than sitting in a room doing literally nothing for almost an en tire season. Plus, I'm actually looking forward to the culmination of Brienne, Jaime and Stoneheart's current arcs. It feels like Brienne is done in the show.

And yeah, I didn't much care for Dorne in the books either, but the show Dorne was straight up embarrassing.

deleted

Really important stuff imo. He made a lot of wrong decisions, but these two are vastly important for the overall story. Without him, the political landscape in Westeros would be far simpler and maybe better off to face the White Walkers.

He destabilized the war fronts by killing Ramsay, but he also roamed the land and became the factor that held the north in check just a bit longer, so that the south doesn't pay too much attention to what's going on. Would the Wall have fallen to the Wildlings, we could have had a united force going there to restore order and face the White Walkers while they're at it.

Wasn't he also the one that spread the (true) rumor about the Lannister Bastards? That did a lot of harm to them and destabilized their position of power in the south quite a bit.

Moff

Well, Brienne and Pod's road trip wasn't great but it much better than sitting in a room doing literally nothing for almost an en tire season. .

ugh, no way. I put AFFC away for several years during a brienne chapter, until a few weeks before ADWD was released actually. it wasnt "not great", it was really bad and boring as hell. season 5 brienne certainly wasnt great, but I'd rather have nothing than what we got in AFFC.

eot

Banned
GRRM's thing it to draw everything out, so I guess it's possible Jon doesn't show up in S6.

ugh, no way. I put AFFC away for several years during a brienne chapter, until a few weeks before ADWD was released actually. it wasnt "not great", it was really bad and boring as hell. season 5 brienne certainly wasnt great, but I'd rather have nothing than what we got in AFFC.
Sorry, I just don't agree. Season 5 Brienne wasn't "not great" it was also really bad and boring as hell. In the show, her non-existent rescue plan makes her character seem unrealistically stupid. I wanted Sansa to light the candle only to see Pod ask, "So... what do we do?" and see Brienne give a confused shrug.

SpaceHorror

I dunno, Doran's Fire and Blood speech was incredible and made the Dorne shit worth it.

D&D fucking wasted Doran and the fantastic Alexander Siddig this season.

Moff

Sorry, I just don't agree. Season 5 Brienne wasn't "not great" it was also really bad and boring as hell. In the show, her non-existent rescue plan makes her character seem unrealistically stupid. I wanted Sansa to light the candle only to see Pod ask, "So... what do we do?" and see Brienne give a confused shrug.

well as someone else pointed out, book brienne went from door to door asking about a red haired girl, brienne was never supposed to be smart or have decent plans.
and honestly no, I'd still say it was not nearly as unberable as in the book, even if is solely due to a few minutes on tv vs. a few whole chapters in the books, GRRM simply completely fucked that up.

Ratrat

Season 5 Brienne wasn't 'nothing'. It was incredibly stupid. Feast has unfilmable story lines; fine. Get rid of them entirely instead of replacing them with the dumbest thing that pops into your head.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
It seems to me like the real problem with the writing on GOT is the ridiculous schedule.

I'm sure D&D and the rest of the writing team are more than competent, but it seems like they really didn't have much time to refine the ideas much beyond "this character will go here and do this".

It's easy to just call them shitty writers, but a lot of the writing this season just felt like it needed a few more passes. It hasn't been a problem before, when adapting existing material. Surely they anticipated this? I mean, who knows how much information they get from GRRM and when.

SpaceHorror

I found myself dreading the Brienne chapters in AFfC at first, but after a while I really got into them as I enjoyed reading the effects the War of Five Kings had on the common people and the land. Someone made a great post on that earlier. It was truly fascinating.

Now, I understand that such a story was probably unfilmable for the show, but shit, that doesn't excuse what they replaced it with. That dumb scene vs Littlefinger's men and then just sitting in a tower all season so she could be well placed to kill Stannis. Terrible.

Reading Nutter, D&D, Kit and other things I am 99% there on Jon Snow is dead for good.

Just historically when D&D state something about a character being dead for good (LSH) it seems to be the case.

What happens to Stannis in the book? I mean does he loses this battle in the same way?

We don't know because GRRM cut the shit out.

All we know is Ramsay sends a letter to Jon saying Stannis has been defeated. Most expected the letter to be a lie, but with the show he might be telling the truth. How the battle is fought or won or lost we have no clue.

KooopaKid

Banned
We don't know because GRRM cut the shit out.

All we know is Ramsay sends a letter to Jon saying Stannis has been defeated. Most expected the letter to be a lie, but with the show he might be telling the truth. How the battle is fought or won or lost we have no clue.

Why is Ramsey sending a letter to Jon for? Is Myrcelle dead in the books too? Thanks for your input.

well as someone else pointed out, book brienne went from door to door asking about a red haired girl, brienne was never supposed to be smart or have decent plans.
and honestly no, I'd still say it was not nearly as unberable as in the book, even if is solely due to a few minutes on tv vs. a few whole chapters in the books, GRRM simply completely fucked that up.
There wouldn't have been any need to do a 1:1 adaptation of every Brienne chapter.
Keep Stoneheart, have a couple of scenes of Brienne's search for Sansa, including a cool fight scene or two before Stoneheart captures her and problems solved. You would even have sidestepped the festering turd that was Jaime's Dorne arc too.

Palpable

What's the last we see of Jon in the books? Does he die the same way? I recall my cousin saying something about Jons death in the books not being a sure thing, that there is a chance he is alive (in the books).

TeaJay

What's the last we see of Jon in the books? Does he die the same way? I recall my cousin saying something about Jons death in the books not being a sure thing, that there is a chance he is alive (in the books).

It's a similar scene, but the book hints at the possibility to warg into Ghost. Also Melisandre is there for a possible rez (similar to the TV show).

Moff

Season 5 Brienne wasn't 'nothing'. It was incredibly stupid. Feast has unfilmable story lines; fine. Get rid of them entirely instead of replacing them with the dumbest thing that pops into your head.

sadly they are not just unfilmable, they are unreadable as well.
i agree though that it could have been handled better, but it was still much much better than in the books.

Palpable

It's a similar scene, but the book hints at the possibility to warg into Ghost. Also Melisandre is there for a possible rez (similar to the TV show).

Interesting... So Jon could live on through Ghost? Do all the Starks have the ability to warg?

TeaJay

Interesting... So Jon could live on through Ghost? Do all the Starks have the ability to warg?

Again that's something the books hint at, but there's no confirmation. Arya definitely has some talent since we read about her dreams warging into Nymeria and finding Catelyn's body, for example.

Ratrat

sadly they are not just unfilmable, they are unreadable as well.
i agree though that it could have been handled better, but it was still much much better than in the books.
Disagree on both accounts. But as the show is following the books and not preceding them, it looks a whole lot worse. It's impossible to take the story seriously when it makes no sense at every turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom