• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turin

Banned
I wonder if they will include Jon in future trailers.

They'll probably show shots of his corpse.

I remember back in the day when they just went ahead and threw Gandalf in trailers for The Two Towers. I guess it was common knowledge by then but still........

Plasmid

My mother in law is dead set that Jon is gone forever only because of that EW interview. She's called both of us fools for thinking he'd come back.

TIME TO EAT CROW

They'll probably show shots of his corpse.

I remember back in the day when they just went ahead and threw Gandalf in trailers for The Two Towers. I guess it was common knowledge by then but still........

I was always kind of salty how they did that with The Two Towers trailers.

Plasmid

I was always kind of salty how they did that with The Two Towers trailers.

Yeah, this made no sense to me. I didn't get into LOTR until a few years back but watched the trailer after watching fellowship, it kinda ruined it for me.

I'm waiting on the people to justify him coming back for the same reason that Charles Dance was back for S05 (googley eyed funeral).

Still annoyed they skipped Cersei's hallucination of him being there for her attonement.

axb2013

My mother in law is dead set that Jon is gone forever only because of that EW interview. She's called both of us fools for thinking he'd come back.

TIME TO EAT CROW

10 drops of Nightshade should solve your problem.

Still annoyed they skipped Cersei's hallucination of him being there for her attonement.

Agreed but then they would have had to get Ned Stark and others too. Could have CGI'ed the dead ones but the average viewer would need it spelled out that it's a hallucination, tough to hang onto audience and stay in the 60 minutes budget,

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I love the absolute idiocy playing out regarding Kit/Jon's status. Could not more perfectly illustrate why trying to pull this cliffhanger was a terrible idea.

What's Show Petey up to? He can't actually want to start a war with the Bolton's over the North, in winter? He also can't expect to have the support of the Northern lords as he sold Ned Stark's daughter off to the murderers of Robb.

I'm hoping that his plan to take the Vale knights into the North is at least somewhat interesting due to Bronze Yohn attempting to overthrow him. In the show, Robert is with Royce. Royce would also know that Littlefinger shipped Sansa off to be a PoW of the Bolton's. So he's without his two most valuable pieces.

1. Heads back to Winterfell with an army
  2. Sansa travels with Brienne to -wherever- to gather support from the North to take back Winterfell
  3. LF waits, plots to overthrow Boltons and delivery Winterfell to Sansa
  4. Does just that, Sansa rats him out to the Vale about his role in Lysa's death
  5. Loses support of the Vale, North kills him.
  6. Sansa gets REEEEVVVEEENNNNGGEEE, the most powerful tool in a screenwriters toolbox. Her rape is declared 'worth it' and 'overall a good thing' by all.

I love the absolute idiocy playing out regarding Kit/Jon's status. Could not more perfectly illustrate why trying to pull this cliffhanger was a terrible idea.

Terrible? Hype is in over drive and it's the offseason. People can't stop writting and talking about Kit and the show. D&D and HBO should be loving the free publicity they're getting. They must giggle inside every time they have to reiterate Jon Snow is really dead. Book readers know saying that doesn't mean much.

They know exactly what they're doing and are getting exactly the response they wanted.

Ratrat

What's Show Petey up to? He can't actually want to start a war with the Bolton's over the North, in winter? He also can't expect to have the support of the Northern lords as he sold Ned Stark's daughter off to the murderers of Robb.

I'm hoping that his plan to take the Vale knights into the North is at least somewhat interesting due to Bronze Yohn attempting to overthrow him. In the show, Robert is with Royce. Royce would also know that Littlefinger shipped Sansa off to be a PoW of the Bolton's. So he's without his two most valuable pieces.

And in TWOW, it's implied that Royce is selling his grain supply to raise enough money to overthrow Littlefinger

I don't know why I anticipate D&D showing any subtle political maneuvering. #teamollykills
They'll just keep him in Kings Landing where he'll make vague threats at the Queen of Thorns and twiddle his thumbs.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Terrible? Hype is in over drive and it's the offseason. People can't stop writting and talking about Kit and the show. D&D and HBO should be loving the free publicity they're getting. They must giggle inside every time they have to reiterate Jon Snow is really dead. Book readers know saying that doesn't mean much.

They know exactly what they're doing and are getting exactly the response they wanted.

Nah, I think you're big giving them way too much credit. I think they actually thought they could keep this under wraps.

Moff

Nah, I think you're big giving them way too much credit. I think they actually thought they could keep this under wraps.

are there any signs that they tried to keep this under wraps?
this is a show that is based on books, some of them decades old. I don't think they ever cared about spoilers, at least 90% of the audience never read that stuff

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
are there any signs that they tried to keep this under wraps?
this is a show that is based on books, some of them decades old. I don't think they ever cared about spoilers, at least 90% of the audience never read that stuff

The numerous almost desperate statements/interviews they've made like "no seriously guys he's totally dead."

And the many anecdotal reports of Kit saying he's not allowed to take photos and trying not to be seen, etc.

Szeth

Eh, they do those interviews every year. What else could they say? And just Kit himself trying not to be seen sounds pretty minimal to me. If they really thought they were keeping it secret they'd have taken measures beyond that.

Iksenpets

Banned
Eh, they do those interviews every year. What else could they say? And just Kit himself trying not to be seen sounds pretty minimal to me. If they really thought they were keeping it secret they'd have taken measures beyond that.

They bought him the finest hood and sunglasses! It was foolproof!

But really, unless they were prepared to have Gwendoline Christie carry him around in a suitcase for the next several months so they could move him without being spotted, there was no way to avoid this. They should totally have done the suitcase thing.

Moff

The numerous almost desperate statements/interviews they've made like "no seriously guys he's totally dead."

And the many anecdotal reports of Kit saying he's not allowed to take photos and trying not to be seen, etc.

I am not really sure what you expect.
all the actors at the comic con panel refusing to answer questions about what their characters will do in the upcoming season is "trying to keep it under wraps" as well? it's standard procedure. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary for kit harrington. if they tried that I am sure they could have pulled it off somehow. but as usual, people on the internet dramatically overestimate what D&D think about people on the internet.

I am not really sure what you expect.
all the actors at the comic con panel refusing to answer questions about what their characters will do in the upcoming season is "trying to keep it under wraps" as well? it's standard procedure. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary for kit harrington. if they tried that I am sure they could have pulled it off somehow. but as usual, people on the internet dramatically overestimate what D&D think about people on the internet.

To be fair they didn't have the scripts when Comic Con was held.

Moff

To be fair they didn't have the scripts when Comic Con was held.

yeah but you know questions like that are never answered.
what would george say if you ask him about what happens in TWOW?
this really doesn't need to be discussed, they won't spoil what happens.

munchie64

Man, he's getting spotted even more than all the other cast member who aren't even trying to hide. It'd almost be more interesting to hear about someone else getting spotted on the street at this point. Maybe some cell phone pics letting us know what Podrick is up to or something.
I think we all know what Podrick is up to.

I think we all know what Podrick is up to.
Game-of-Thrones-game-of-thrones-37013217-245-245.gif

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
The fact that stuff like Kit being at a tennis match with long hair made headlines says it was a great idea.

I already responded to this but something can be a good idea commercially and still a bad creative decision. I still don't buy for a second that this was an intentional hype move. WiC's series of articles after the finale playing into the party line was even more embarrassing, referring to ideas of him being resurrected as "conspiracy" as if they've never read the books.

bengraven

0IRskfH.png

No no, it's nuffin'. We've been mates for years. I love all those guys in the Night's Watch and showed up to support them. We all do it man.

"Then why aren't Pip and Grenn with you?"

Oh eh, they're in the toilet right now, they'll be along any minute. Oh shit, look, it's Sean Bean! *disappears*

If they really thought they could keep this under wraps, they're more stupid than we thought.

Creatively they wanted to shock, and they succeeded. The shock not lasting until next season doesn't matter too much. Catching Kit around town doesn't change what people felt watching that scene at that moment.

They probably cut LS primarily so the attack on Jon had maximum impact.

Expecting D&D to remember Ghost beyond a scene a season is a fool's errand. And anyway, they used up their Ghost budget on getting Sam's fat pink mast a chance at Gilly's myrish swamp post arbitrary attempted rape.

Moff

I really don't see how this matters.
why is it worse tv?
is anyones experience worse because of it?
to me at least it doesn't matter at all. showing white eyes would have been quite a spoiler for book readers as well. I would not have minded it but I don't mind a cliffhanger as well. I really don't see the issue.

the only thing I would understand is if the viewer numbers would drop because killing jon snow would somehow cross the line for some pople but I really don't see that happening.

Watchers: Ricky Champ joins the cast; Actors Emmy episode submissions

---------------
^above discussion^

Writing/production of the show happens somewhat in a bottle. There probably isn't a ton of thought put into how something is going to be in the news cycle just July, the focus is on making the show for the audience that's thing to watch when it airs. However, I suppose it's fair to discuss the merits of considering what happens to news surrounding a popular show in the social media age, but I don't think many creatives on TV shows are currently doing that.

Iksenpets

Banned
Watchers: Ricky Champ joins the cast; Actors Emmy episode submissions

---------------
^above discussion^

Writing/production of the show happens somewhat in a bottle. There probably isn't a ton of thought put into how something is going to be in the news cycle just July, the focus is on making the show for the audience that's thing to watch when it airs. However, I suppose it's fair to discuss the merits of considering what happens to news surrounding a popular show in the social media age, but I don't think many creatives on TV shows are currently doing that.

On the casting:
So this guy is basically our Lady Stoneheart replacement as the new evil leader of the Brotherhood?

On the casting:
So this guy is basically our Lady Stoneheart replacement as the new evil leader of the Brotherhood?
Looks like according to his CV, the role is only 2 episodes, so probably not a major new addition.

Going to be interesting to be hearing about casting for this "new brotherhood". Obviously, we don't have much detail on what the role of this group is and for that reason I personally wouldn't make any assumptions like taking the place of a Stoneheart type role yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom