• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iksenpets

Banned
Looks like according to his CV, the role is only 2 episodes, so probably not a major new addition.

Going to be interesting to be hearing about casting for this "new brotherhood". Obviously, we don't have much detail on what the role of this group is and for that reason I personally wouldn't make any assumptions like taking the place of a Stoneheart type role yet.

It definitely sounds like the Brotherhood, and everything we know points to their role being pretty major in Winds, but yeah, it sounds like they're compressing it down to be a very brief plot here. Seems like they just want them to quickly do what they need to do and tie it up, so that people won't complain that the Brotherhood was left as a loose thread.

All the Northern lord castings were also listed as being two episodes, weren't they? Kind of worried that now that they no longer have specific book scenes to serve as milestones, their desire to wrap things up in seven seasons is going to lead to a lot of these sort of little two episode plots.

Seems more like he'll be
an antagonist for Brienne/Septon Meribald and whatever storyline they'll have this season.

Yeah, that's sort of what I meant.
He's replacing Stoneheart in that he is taking over the Brotherhood, leading it in a darker direction, and serving as antagonist to Brienne. That's pretty much Stonehearts role, just with all the specifics of her character stripped away.

Euron

I don't understand why they can't go for 8 seasons. HBO would certainly approve of it. I hate how they seem to be rushing all these plotlines in
two episode sequences.
The series deserves far better toward the end. Two seasons is not nearly enough for TWOW and ADOS even if things like the Battle of Meereen, Stannis' remaining plot, and Stoneheart are cut entirely.

Or maybe the plan really is 7 seasons and a movie.

I don't understand why they can't go for 8 seasons. HBO would certainly approve of it. I hate how they seem to be rushing all these plotlines in
two episode sequences.
The series deserves far better toward the end. Two seasons is not nearly enough for TWOW and ADOS even if things like the Battle of Meereen, Stannis' remaining plot, and Stoneheart are cut entirely.

Or maybe the plan really is 7 seasons and a movie.

They're probably just tired of it and ready to move on.

Forkball

Where the hell is the Euron casting? It's almost August. Don't they normally film the bulk of the scenes in August and September? You'd think they would want to announce that early considering the importance of his character.

Holy hell that's hilarious.

Iksenpets

Banned

All those years his schedule kept him from making a cameo on his own show, he manages to make an appearance in Sharknado, lol. Also, the shark has three heads!

Moff

We don't know how much GRRM has really told them. I'd rather they crunched it down to 7 seasons.

I am sure he told them everything, the problem is there is still tons of unwritten content, where only the outlines are set.
I would guess it's not even enough so fill 7 seasons and D&D have to create a lot of content themselves already, so I am completely fine with 7 seasons.

Turin

Banned
I am sure he told them everything, the problem is there is still tons of unwritten content, where only the outlines are set.
I would guess it's not even enough so fill 7 seasons and D&D have to create a lot of content themselves already, so I am completely fine with 7 seasons.

Exactly.

6 will likely do a lot to set up 7 as the climactic season.

From what they've been saying in recent interviews I see them leaning more towards an extended 7th season/8th season instead of just 7.

Where the hell is the Euron casting? It's almost August. Don't they normally film the bulk of the scenes in August and September? You'd think they would want to announce that early considering the importance of his character.

Holy hell that's hilarious.

Well not everyone starts filming in July so we could be getting it a few weeks from now.

Give Mads a break.

Euron

This is amazing hahaha

At this point just expect that Euron will appear in two episodes next season as a minor villain role next to Ramsay and will be played by Vince Vaughn.

Speevy

Banned
One idea this show has played with in the past is that suppressing rebellions and killing lords always breeds more clever and vicious people.

Hopefully the north and the Riverlands actually get a more prominent role beyond just "that place outside of Winterfell where where we flay everyone."

One idea this show has played with in the past is that suppressing rebellions and killing lords always breeds more clever and vicious people.

Hopefully the north and the Riverlands actually get a more prominent role beyond just "that place outside of Winterfell where where we flay everyone."
Has been and probably will be one of the biggest challenges on the TV show. Pretty difficult when it's one plotline and a show stuffed with plots and characters to establish the various houses in the North and their own histories, geography, customs, alliances, etc.

If the show was say, just about the North, then yeah it would be possible, but coming from a book reader perspective I think that's just one of those things the show can't realistically match (that's not to say there isn't some way they could fill it out more than what they've done so far).

Iksenpets

Banned
Has been and probably will be one of the biggest challenges on the TV show. Pretty difficult when it's one plotline and a show stuffed with plots and characters to establish the various houses in the North and their own histories, geography, customs, alliances, etc.

If the show was say, just about the North, then yeah it would be possible, but coming from a book reader perspective I think that's just one of those things the show can't realistically match (that's not to say there isn't some way they could fill it out more than what they've done so far).

Yeah, there's no way they could've done everything the book did. That said, I think it would've helped a lot to have had a sort of token Stark loyalist who survived everything and could play some bit of the Manderly role. Umber could have filled that part, but they lost the actor and never bothered to introduce a replacement character. Maybe they could have had a handful of featured extras consistently around Robb through seasons 2 and 3 who could've died at the wedding to put a face to the idea of there being a broader, pro-Stark Northern nobility, kind of like what they tried to do with the random Wendel Manderly who showed up for one shot. As it stands right now, it feels like the only real Stark loyalists are either relatives of the Starks or random peasants.

I get that they're probably reintroducing the Umbers next season, but then that just sort of introduces new questions about what the hell they were up to all through season 4 and 5. Why'd they let Bolton sit so comfortably for so long.

I know GRRM has said before how much he wishes they could have 12-episode seasons, and it's the things like the North where just an extra few minutes could go a long way that make me wish we could get that, even though it's impossible.

Ok ... this is awesome and funny! But good grief ... Martin really does anything but getting Winds of Winter done, doesn't he?

Dude has some serious ADHD when it comes to writing on his main books. ^^

Iksenpets

Banned

Casting:
Ray Stevenson was always the fancast for Victarion, but I would totally take him as this still-alive Smalljon they seem to be creating. Not that he'd take the role, most likely.

Also, I'm guessing this means they're going to be retconning things a bit to say that Greatjon died in battle off screen or something. Bummer. I do hope they manage to maybe work in some of the better Manderly moments with this guy. It also sounds like they might be working in a bit of the Skagosi that Rickon is with in the books with the references to his "savagery".

bengraven

Casting for Season 5 was actually announced almost exactly a year ago today.

I do wonder if the new characters are so unimportant as to not need a video or even just an announcement.

But then, that's unusual for any show not to make an announcement even for minor character changes.

I do wonder if the new characters are so unimportant as to not need a video or even just an announcement.

But then, that's unusual for any show not to make an announcement even for minor character changes.

They'll certainly announce them in some way or another. The agents of the actors will definitely want people to know their talent is going to be in the biggest show on the air. But yeah, we might not get "XXX will be playing "Notable Character" in season 6 of Game of Thrones", sounds like
Euron
is going to be the only 'big' character from the books new to this season, the rest are going to be a hodgepodge of other characters/roles combined into one.

The 2 Northern Lords don't seem like they're going to be that important this season. This big fella was only wanted for 2 episodes and the other one mentioned something like 20 days of filming (I think). I don't know what you can get done in 20 days but can't imagine it's a significant role.

Euron

Imma smack both D&D if this is true. They made a big deal about Doran last year and he was way underutilized and surrounded by terrible characters. There's so much potential with the new characters they're adding but I'm afraid they'll fuck it up somehow.

On Doran, I hope he's really important for seasons 6 and 7, and they just had to get his introduction out of the way in season 5. There has to be something that's going to happen there to justify the inclusion of that side plot last season. I hope. But all the theories about what they were going to do with the Dornish kind of fell apart at the end of last season. Still no sign of a Doran/Varys alliance, no sign of the Sand Snakes going to KL like the books, and they seem to have driven a permanent wedge between themselves and Doran with Myrcella's death. I have no idea where that story even goes from here, but I think I'm even more scared of the idea that it was a single-season side plot than I am of the idea of having to sit through more Dorne scenes next season.
I'm especially pissed that we didn't get "Vengeance. Justice. Fire and Blood" Sure the Quentyn plan was laughably bad in hindsight but that's the kind of vengeance people want. Not Power Rangers attacking and poisoning a little girl. There wasn't even a hint at a Dany or Varys alliance. And Trystane was god awful.

The whole Dorne plot was completely useless aside from Myrcella dying and what does that lead to in the show anyway?

Iksenpets

Banned
Imma smack both D&D if this is true. They made a big deal about Doran last year and he was way underutilized and surrounded by terrible characters. There's so much potential with the new characters they're adding but I'm afraid they'll fuck it up somehow.

On Doran, I hope he's really important for seasons 6 and 7, and they just had to get his introduction out of the way in season 5. There has to be something that's going to happen there to justify the inclusion of that side plot last season. I hope. But all the theories about what they were going to do with the Dornish kind of fell apart at the end of last season. Still no sign of a Doran/Varys alliance, no sign of the Sand Snakes going to KL like the books, and they seem to have driven a permanent wedge between themselves and Doran with Myrcella's death. I have no idea where that story even goes from here, but I think I'm even more scared of the idea that it was a single-season side plot than I am of the idea of having to sit through more Dorne scenes next season.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I'm still hoping Doran was in on the plot to kill Myrcella and now Trystane is on his way to Dany to present Jaime as a wedding gift to win her over. It's the only thing I can think of that would make the shit show Dorne S5 plot worth it.

NeoGiff

I'm still hoping Doran was in on the plot to kill Myrcella and now Trystane is on his way to Dany to present Jaime as a wedding gift to win her over. It's the only thing I can think of that would make the shit show Dorne S5 plot worth it.

I'm pretty sure that's not the case. Siddig said somewhere that he wasn't in on it, and on a separate, recent occasion, someone affiliated with Watchers suggested it to him and he said he thought it was a great idea, and wished it had happened that way.

Of course, it might just be a case of him not knowing until he gets this season's scripts. But this is D&D. The more interesting potential development in a plot will never happen (eg Alliser Thorne not being part of FTW).

The whole Dorne plot was completely useless aside from Myrcella dying and what does that lead to in the show anyway?

It's probably safe to say that in the show, Cersei will blame Jaimie for Myrcella's death, consider it his "failure" and that will cause the final schism between he and Cersei. He'll leave Kings Landing and go looking for Brienne. Instead of the letter, Cersei will spend a few episodes chastising him and then will need his help and instead he will turn his back and leave Kings Landing.

Ratrat

I thought Trystane was Aegon, not Quentyn. He'll spen season 6 in a cell in Kings Landing. Jaime will go to his Riverlands plot like nothing has happened.

Kain

I'm pretty sure that's not the case. Siddig said somewhere that he wasn't in on it, and on a separate, recent occasion, someone affiliated with Watchers suggested it to him and he said he thought it was a great idea, and wished it had happened that way.

Of course, it might just be a case of him not knowing until he gets this season's scripts. But this is D&D. The more interesting potential development in a plot will never happen (eg Alliser Thorne not being part of FTW).

Shit, that would have been so awesome.

btw, I'm not changing my avatar back. I like Olly. I suck.

Brakke

Banned
A+ attitude. Mods should call your bluff though, make it permanent with a tag:

Kain
I like Olly. I suck.
(Today, 07:06 AM)

Make it happen, Cornballer.

NeoGiff

Summer here in Northern Ireland has been a little more rainy than usual. Still warm though. Wouldn't want to be outside filming though.

Really? It's been a lot drier than usual down here. There has been rain over the last week or so, but not much.

Look at us, talking about the weather when there's nothing else to talk about. I wonder where we're from.

Euron

So I've been thinking about what the hell the show will do going forward with so many characters cut and killed off prematurely and I've come up with a theory to tie much of the story together.

Basically in the show, I think Sansa will replace Aegon. It's becoming increasingly apparent that Aegon will take the Iron Throne in TWOW and will go to war with Dany at some point, potentially directly implied by GRRM

Obviously without Aegon a second Dance of Dragons can't happen in the show but maybe somebody else can be the opposition to Dany. The biggest implication for this theory I see now is Littlefinger being in King's Landing and Varys being in Meereen. Varys is in no position to kill Kevan and Pycelle but Littlefiinger is right there. I can see Littlefinger killing the two to cause more chaos for when his plans come to fruition. And what are these plans?

Firstly, I can see next season beginning with Sansa, Theon, and Brienne journeying to the Last Hearth to find Rickon. Sometime later, maybe the Umbers and the rest of the Northern Resistance (that will magically appear next season after the fake buildup this season) can lay siege to Winterfell. During the siege, LF can come with the armies of the Vale as a false help to the Boltons (like Tywin with Aerys) and LF himself can kill Roose after being let in. Sansa now can be given full control over the North and Vale. Her relationship with LF is repaired through Roose's murder and excuses about how every terrible thing that happened has led to the power she has now (Yay D&D!)

Oh and something bad happens to Walder Frey and Sansa gets the Riverlands as well. Will probably be super condensed in the show.

As for the Tyrells, maybe Margaery and Loras both lose their trials and are executed by the Faith while Cersei wins hers. With nowhere else to go, Olenna (because D&D hate Mace) allies with Littlefinger, pledging the Tyrells to Sansa, who will inevitably betray Tommen and the Lannisters, causing a three way war with them and the Faith.

Dorne can either go two ways: 1) They go with Dany by default or 2) Doran offers Trystane as a marriage to Sansa.

And what does this mean for the books? Well I think there's actually a possibility that Aegon marries Sansa, since he has the most gain from that (North+Riverlands+Vale). And it also creates a hilariously ironic unknowing alliance between Varys and LF. If that happens, I can see LF killing Aegon (breaking the accidental alliance of course) at some point after he takes the Throne, which would give the Throne to Sansa.

Either way, the books and the show end up in the same place in this scenario: Most of the seven kingdoms are allied under Sansa and Dany attacks King's Landing while looking like the villain instead of the hero.

In reality on the show we'll see KellyC take King's Landing without much opposition because she's the queen of freedom and justice and Sansa will cry more while Brienne kills every villain in the series after Ramsay burns half of Westeros to the ground with 30 gud men (that's where the budget increase will go)

So who do you guys think should be cast for the new major roles? Here are mine:

Euron Greyjoy:
bad pussy

Randyll Tarly:
oystersclamscockles

Septon Meribald:
20 good men

Arthur Dayne:
GGpjRDc.jpg

Interesting theory. I remember reading a theory/coincidence awhile ago that pointed out Sansa's romantic relationships/near relationships mirror the five champions who fought for Lady Ashford in The Hedge Knight.

Lyonel Baratheon (Joffery...I know, I know)
Leo Tyrell (Willem)
Tybolt Lannister (Tyrion)
Humfrey Hardyng (Harry The Heir)
Prince Valarr Targaryen

She hasn't been connected to a Targaryen yet but Aegon could be the fifth. Martin loves the idea of history repeating itself, so perhaps Aegon will be swayed from a Martell marriage in order to marry Sansa. Personally I tend to think he's more likely to marry Arianne but it's possible he could meet and marry Sansa (especially if a certain knight can smuggle her away from The Vale).

I wouldn't be surprised if the show creates some type of political situation for Dany to face in Westeros, and it just might be through Sansa. But then again given how quickly the show is moving, will Sansa have any time to face off against Targaryens while Others arrive? At least in the books King's Landing/Storm's End/etc are so far away from the Others threat that a dragon v (fake) dragon political conflict is understandable.

NeoGiff

So who do you guys think should be cast for the new major roles? Here are mine:

Euron Greyjoy:
bad pussy

Randyll Tarly:
oystersclamscockles

Septon Meribald:
20 good men

Arthur Dayne:
GGpjRDc.jpg

No, there's a new character this season in Sam's storyline, and you have her pictured above. Elia of House Lindo, played by Bad Pussy. When she walks it's like erasers clapping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom