• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ishan

I have yet to see purist level complaints here.

I mean it's not Reddit level b.s. but you can't make it through a page without 4 dorne sucks comments at least . But of well welcometoneogaf.gif happens with any dedicated fan base I guess but at the same time I remember thinking the HP films were shit just didn't constantly complain etc may be it's how the show was much more in line and then diverged that's causing the reactions .

Edit and on topic hyped for this season looks like it will be funnn.
(And this is from someone who is up to date with books show leaks episode leaks book previews etc etc)

Violet_0

Banned
but ... Dorne really did suck, hard, as did several of the other story arcs. A lot of people thought S5 was a mess so naturally there was quite a bit of negativity (understatement) in the |OT|
not even to mention all the Sansa threads

I mean it's not Reddit level b.s. but you can't make it through a page without 4 dorne sucks comments at least . But of well welcometoneogaf.gif happens with any dedicated fan base I guess but at the same time I remember thinking the HP films were shit just didn't constantly complain etc may be it's how the show was much more in line and then diverged that's causing the reactions .

Edit and on topic hyped for this season looks like it will be funnn.
(And this is from someone who is up to date with books show leaks episode leaks book previews etc etc)
People didn't think Dorne was bad because of the lack of Quentyn and Arianne. Dorne was bad because the Sand Snakes were generally horribly written, that coupled with the fact that they also fought horribly.
(Doran barely had any presence, what's up with that?)

Sorry that we can't all be the shinobi of off-topics.

blackjaw

Wait people liked the Dorne scenes?

Even my wife who hasn't read the books was so confused by that arc and the poor casting. I've read the books multiple times and was just shaking my head...why ruin the sand snakes that way.

XAL

People didn't think Dorne was bad because of the lack of Quentyn and Arianne. Dorne was bad because the Sand Snakes were generally horribly written, that coupled with the fact that they also fought horribly.
(Doran barely had any presence, what's up with that?)

Sorry that we can't all be the shinobi of off-topics.

Ding ding ding. The Sand Snakes were such a massive disappointment and watching Obara try to fight was painful. A lot of their dialogue was cringe.

It was just overall a poor execution. None of the characters really came off as likable or people to watch. The whole thing really leaned heavily on Jamie and Bronn roadtrip2dorne.

At the end of it all the mainline story got out of it was "oh Myrcella is dead now".

Also I will never get over the abortion that was the House of the Undying.

Apt101

Glory glory hal-le-lu-jah, just over twelve hours to
be disappointed by the worst possible way they could portray Ser Arthur Dayne
go time.

Henkka

Banned
That Jaime & Cersei clip... I wonder how they explain Jaime not turning the boat around and murdering everyone.

Apt101

That Jaime & Cersei clip... I wonder how they explain Jaime not turning the boat around and murdering everyone.

He ain't the fighter he used to be, and they had a legion of armed guards within shouting distance. Plus, he was probably crying and utterly heart broken.

AngryMoth

I didn't watch any of season 5 but I'm gonna watch the new season cos I'm sick of waiting for the books. Are there any must watch episodes from last season?

Neifirst

I'm watching season 5 for the first time since the episodes debuted last year, and....I find them pretty entertaining. Having internalized that there will be numerous scenes with Grey Worm & Missandei, the Sand Snakes, and Ollie, they no longer annoy me so much, and I can just enjoy the storylines that interest me more.

Moff

I didn't watch any of season 5 but I'm gonna watch the new season cos I'm sick of waiting for the books. Are there any must watch episodes from last season?

I don't see how you can skip anything if you want to understand whats happening in season six, they changed a lot from the books and advance in some plots into TWOW territory

I'm watching season 5 for the first time since the episodes debuted last year, and....I find them pretty entertaining. Having internalized that there will be numerous scenes with Grey Worm & Missandei, the Sand Snakes, and Ollie, they no longer annoy me so much, and I can just enjoy the storylines that interest me more.

You want a good story, but you need the bad pussy.

Ghost23

Dorne was almost objectively bad television- the writing, the choreography, etc. That said, the show gets way more hate than it deserves. Seasons 1-4 were great, even if they don't have the same writing quality of like The Wire or Breaking Bad. It's the fantastic world and character development that George has created that makes Games of Thrones entertaining to watch. For how difficult it is to create these massive books for screen, I think the show has been great, and though season 5 happened to take some missteps (and let's be honest- the books the season was based on are the weakest in the series), I have hope that season 6 will be extremely entertaining, even with the cringey scene here or there. Bring on tonight!

What if they made Dorne good this year?

HAHAHHAHAAAHA

Okay I'll stop.

Honestly, it can't get any worse... Can it?

I mean they got the big Oberyn-avenging out of the way and managed to off Myrcella, so they shouldn't be so in your face this year. I hope.

That said I'm having visions of season 7 including a scene where Obara stands atop The Wall shouting down at the invading White Walkers that she is in fact Obara Sand, daughter of Oberyn.

Honestly, it can't get any worse... Can it?

I mean they got the big Oberyn-avenging out of the way and managed to off Myrcella, so they shouldn't be so in your face this year. I hope.

That said I'm having visions of season 7 including a scene where Obara stands atop The Wall shouting down at the invading White Walkers that she is in fact Obara Sand, daughter of Oberyn.

Three sand snakes. The dragon has three heads. You can see where this is going.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
As someone who normally does get offended by bad lines and other random crap, Dorne was probably the worst story line they did, and I did not form that opinion until SE10. They could have spent a couple extra minutes each episode expanding on Trystane and Myrcella, and others.

Speevy

Banned
On a different note, what's everyone's favorite premiere episode, aside from the pilot?

I say aside from the pilot because everyone almost always loves the pilot of every show.

Violater

I wish this show was on Netflix, so I could just binge the shit out of it and walk in late to work with bloodshot eyes.

NeoGiff

Not starting work until 4pm on Mondays is perfect. I can stay up and tune in at the same time as you Muricans.

Just in case anyone in the UK or Ireland here didn't know, Sky are doing a simulcast again this year.

Man i could not stand the discussions for GOT last season. People being picky of the most trivial shit. Hope dogmatic fans don't bum me out for what looks to be the best season yet.

If you think the handling of the Dorne plotline, the Olly telegraphing, and the whole Shireen/Brienne/Stannis arc were best described as "trivial shit", you'd be best served to stay out of these threads and just sit back and enjoy the show. There's nothing wrong with doing so. Most of the viewing public does exactly that.

I think "Two Swords" (Season 4) is probably the best one.
Yeah- "Two Swords" is baller. Probably one of my legit top 5 faves from the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom