• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
THANKS OBAMA

New page'd. Shit. Uhhh what do I say.

How about that Ramsay? What's the guess on how long he'll be around. I say until episode 8.

So tired of WAITING. HURRY UP SUNDAY.

tumblr_npyunlrXN41qz72sno1_500.gif

Azzanadra

Is it just me, or has the fanbase collectively forgot about Stannis? He was my absolute favorite character in the franchise both off screen and on screen until the last two characters. I have come to terms with the idea of his downfall, but the execution just makes me depressed, because I really liked the character on so many levels that I would honestly say he's one of my favorite characters in anything, so his poor handling just rubbed me the wrong way. And I don't think I am alone on this because it seems like Stannis' fan base has evaporated. Whereas before you couldn't go five posts without a Stannis mention, he seems almost entirely forgotten by the community, which only added to the problem for me because the zeitgeist kept him alive in spirit (not to mention this is, after all the book forums and he's still alive in the books!).

This is partly why I don't think I'm as involved/exited with GoT as I used to be. I used to be that guy who wouldn't shut up about the books/show IRL and I loved browsing the ASOIAF reddit, but ever since Stannis' death I've become rather detached from this franchise and the communities associated with it.

What I am looking forward to the most is the fall of Ramsay. hate that fucking character, and not just because he is evil, but because he is so damn perfect in the show. No way he makes it past this season...

Which reminds me, D&D have been setting him up to be the "main antagonist" of the show ever since Tywin died, but I would have honestly preferred Roose. It seems like D&D wanted another Joffrey-esque character because of his popularity, rather than stick to villains of nuance like Tywin or Roose.

Moff

Is it just me, or has the fanbase collectively forgot about Stannis? He was my absolute favorite character in the franchise both off screen and on screen until the last two characters. I have come to terms with the idea of his downfall, but the execution just makes me depressed, because I really liked the character on so many levels that I would honestly say he's one of my favorite characters in anything, so his poor handling just rubbed me the wrong way. And I don't think I am alone on this because it seems like Stannis' fan base has evaporated. Whereas before you couldn't go five posts without a Stannis mention, he seems almost entirely forgotten by the community, which only added to the problem for me because the zeitgeist kept him alive in spirit (not to mention this is, after all the book forums and he's still alive in the books!).

This is partly why I don't think I'm as involved/exited with GoT as I used to be. I used to be that guy who wouldn't shut up about the books/show IRL and I loved browsing the ASOIAF reddit, but ever since Stannis' death I've become rather detached from this franchise and the communities associated with it.

What I am looking forward to the most is the fall of Ramsay. hate that fucking character, and not just because he is evil, but because he is so damn perfect in the show. No way he makes it past this season...

Which reminds me, D&D have been setting him up to be the "main antagonist" of the show ever since Tywin died, but I would have honestly preferred Roose. It seems like D&D wanted another Joffrey-esque character because of his popularity, rather than stick to villains of nuance like Tywin or Roose.

ramsey is so boring, I don't even care about his death anymore

and stannis gets mentioned a lot in my opinion

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
HBO is selling the sixth season of an insanely popular television show in which most of the most well known events have already happened.

It is in their best interest to firmly plant the seed of doubt as to whether Jon Snow is coming back.

It's a mystery that will get them millions of viewers.

They would have attracted just as large an audience without all that nonsense though.

- THR: 'Game of Thrones' Showrunners Discuss Endgame: "We're Approaching the Finish Line"

The show has diverged from the books quite dramatically by this point, but it's still George's world: The characters he's dreamt up in the world he created. At this point, given the fact that we're outpacing the novels, we all see the upside in the divergence: book readers won't be spoiled by what's to come on the show, and the show audience won't have to worry about spoilers from the unpublished books.

What are the chances D&D decided to just diverge completely from the books - not even including any of the stuff GRRM told them about TWOW and ADOS? guys

Apt101

They would have attracted just as large an audience without all that nonsense though.

What are the chances D&D decided to just diverge completely from the books - not even including any of the stuff GRRM told them about TWOW and ADOS? guys

I think they gave up trying to follow the narrative closely a long time ago, and decided they would just connect the same major dots using whatever characters they had left/had in the first place when the time came.

Edit: disappointed the HBO Now app still isn't on PS4. I'll either have to watch on my desktop in my office - which is fine, it's a 27" 1080p monitor - or drudge my old Apple TV, wherever the hell it is I left it.

What are the chances D&D decided to just diverge completely from the books - not even including any of the stuff GRRM told them about TWOW and ADOS?
They've gone out of their way this season to note that things have diverged pretty significantly at this point. Cogman mentioned it, too:
I think of it as Westeros 2 – the alternate universe version of Westeros. There’s the book universe and a show universe and this is what happens in the show universe.
By the way, in that article D&D put an estimate of 10-15 more hours of GoT after S6 is over. They're really aiming low with their estimates these days. I'm still banking on something around two more seasons of 8 episodes each.

They've gone out of their way this season to note that things have diverged pretty significantly at this point. Cogman mentioned it, too:By the way, in that article D&D put an estimate of 10-15 more hours of GoT after S6 is over. They're really aiming low with their estimates these days. I'm still banking on something around two more seasons of 8 episodes each.

I wouldn't be surprised if they stick to the lower episode count but up the run time for a bunch of them.

I think they gave up trying to follow the narrative closely a long time ago, and decided they would just connect the same major dots using whatever characters they had left/had in the first place when the time came.

Edit: disappointed the HBO Now app still isn't on PS4. I'll either have to watch on my desktop in my office - which is fine, it's a 27" 1080p monitor - or drudge my old Apple TV, wherever the hell it is I left it.

I feel like part of the reason is that George may have not known exactly how those dots connected when they had to start writing, or what he wrote may not have worked well for the adaptation (or may have conflicted with minor deviations they made beforehand).

Hell, George may STILL not know exactly how everything gets from this point to the ending considering that he still has one enormous book to go after the one he's finishing up.

Maybe it's because most book readers online have figured it out anyway, but it seems strange of them to take the stance that the show won't spoil the book this year when most of us are expecting Jon's revival and a Tower of Joy confirmation from this season which are both pretty huge revelations to have ahead of the books in the grand scheme of things. I'd be pretty disappointed if they've decided to go a different direction for the show from what we all believe is the case with those two events.

Speevy

Banned
People will be asking George R.R. Martin why they made Tyene Sand hand of the king until he dies.

"I didn't wriii...."

*credits*

Cornballer should be warning people to stay away from spoilers even if they are into that sort of thing.

He did post the rules on the last page when spoilers popped up. That said, if the spoilers are out there they must be hidden in a dark corner because I cant find them.

Iksenpets

Banned
What are the general rules about spoilers on GAF anyway? Is it just up to the thread creator to set the rules? It seems like it's allowed for some shows. The Walking Dead comes to mind.

Spoilers that only could have been obtained by piracy are generally banned. Spoilers from set photos and stuff are allowed under spoiler tags. At least that's how it's been in this thread.

fantomena

Came up with a new super weird theory for why Jon will be ressurrected. I call it the "corpse theory"

There must be a reason for why (apparently according to both Kit harington and the trailers and promos) Jons coprse will get a lot of screentime. They are not just gonna have Jons corpse in the show for no reason. Jon loyalists are not gonna defend Jons body for no reason or that Melisandre or someone will try to ressurrect Jon and they fail and that's the end of it.

Every character who has died on the show has the show completely moved away from their corpses. We saw Neds head on a spike just for a few seconds in the episode after Baelor and then we never saw Neds corpse anymore. Same thing with Rob, only saw his body on the wolf head and never saw it again, same with Tywin, Jeoffrey, Barristan etc. We see their corpses once or rarely twice more with either just a few seconds or a few minutes.

Apparently this is not happening with Jons corpse. He will get plenty of screentime according to Kit and the marketing material. Something will happen to Jons corpse. If he was truly dead and never come back, Jons corpse would be seen for a few seconds, max 5 min and we will never see it again, cause the storyline would move on from it just like all other deaths.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Do people actually think that D&D don't have GRRM on tap to pick his brain about Winds of Winter? I wouldn't be surprised if they've read the current drafts of the novel (well, what he's finished so far), and are, at the least, more than just a Wikipedia entries level of awareness as to what's going to happen going forward in the story. Certainly more than us speculating on the Internet.

Martin may be annoyed at some changes they've made to the story, but I'm more than a little positive that he has had, and continues to have, a back and forth advisory role with D&D. I'm pretty sure they aren't just making shit up as they go along, when they have the creator of the series a literal phone call away.

I've yet to finish season 5. I'm about 5 episodes into it. Enjoying it so far. Really looking forward to reading the thread about it (I usually don't watch the season until I can buy them all in one go and binge).

Rewatching the very first episode and I just now realized Illyrio is played by the Minister of Propaganda guy from V for Vendetta.

And, I just figured out why Alistair Thorne hates Jon Snow so much. Feel so dense.

Azzanadra

Do people actually think that D&D don't have GRRM on tap to pick his brain about Winds of Winter? I wouldn't be surprised if they've read the current drafts of the novel (well, what he's finished so far), and are, at the least, more than just a Wikipedia entries level of awareness as to what's going to happen going forward in the story. Certainly more than us speculating on the Internet.

Martin may be annoyed at some changes they've made to the story, but I'm more than a little positive that he has had, and continues to have, a back and forth advisory role with D&D. I'm pretty sure they aren't just making shit up as they go along, when they have the creator of the series a literal phone call away.

I've yet to finish season 5. I'm about 5 episodes into it. Enjoying it so far. Really looking forward to reading the thread about it (I usually don't watch the season until I can buy them all in one go and binge).

Its not that they don't have him on tap, its that they are too self-indulgent in their own ideas that some of the plot points come as as fan fiction at best. For example, they let their on bias on Stannis' character portray him as some sort of villainous religious zealot, whereas the book provides a more nuanced portrayal of a rigorous man of law, who adheres to his duty no matter the cost.

Or heck, even Tyrion. He was just a mumbling, self-pitiful rapist in ADwD, yet in S5 he is still manufactured to be the quippy dude who always gets out of trouble. Then there is Dany, and the faith militant, and Loras and Renly... the list goes on.

I'm fine with changes when they work, like Hardhome was awesome. But actual bad plot lines like the sand snakes or borderline offensive portrayals like Loras as the token stereotypical gay character make me doubt D&D's writing ability... especially when the best season is still the first one, the one that is the most faithful to the books to the point at which they actually pull lines from the books. That's another thing that bothered me, it seems that after the first season they never again used the book dialogue (or very scarcely).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom