• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

mantidor

First one is the best.

There are a handful of inspired moments from D&D, Arya with Tywin for instance, or having Brienne battle the Hound, but when they fail the fail hard, and it happens more and more often the less book material they actually have.

Short cast interviews via Making Game of Thrones:

- Game of Thrones Cast Interview: Character Strength
- Game of Thrones Cast Interview: Character Weakness

Spoilers that only could have been obtained by piracy are generally banned. Spoilers from set photos and stuff are allowed under spoiler tags. At least that's how it's been in this thread.
Yes, that sums it up for most tv show threads.

I wouldn't be surprised if they stick to the lower episode count but up the run time for a bunch of them.
They've consistently come in at under 60 minutes per episode, iirc, and I don't imagine they'd stray from it that much. The main intention of the reduced episode count would be to lower the demands on production (how much needs to be filmed, effects, etc...) and having longer episodes to some extent defeats the purpose of it.

...and one more time:
Cornballer said:
Hi folks, please don't post any leaks or information about it in the thread. If that's something you're interested discussing, there are sites other than GAF where you can get into that. Also, please don't beg for links. Thank you.

Do people actually think that D&D don't have GRRM on tap to pick his brain about Winds of Winter? I wouldn't be surprised if they've read the current drafts of the novel (well, what he's finished so far), and are, at the least, more than just a Wikipedia entries level of awareness as to what's going to happen going forward in the story. Certainly more than us speculating on the Internet.

Martin may be annoyed at some changes they've made to the story, but I'm more than a little positive that he has had, and continues to have, a back and forth advisory role with D&D. I'm pretty sure they aren't just making shit up as they go along, when they have the creator of the series a literal phone call away.

I've yet to finish season 5. I'm about 5 episodes into it. Enjoying it so far. Really looking forward to reading the thread about it (I usually don't watch the season until I can buy them all in one go and binge).

They may know, but do they care?

Either way I don't really care anymore, I'm in for whatever. The funnier the better.

Tiktaalik

On balance D&D has adapted this show well, though I do think that the series has become less consistent as it has gone along. Personally I think this thread has gotten pretty far off the map in terms of the consensus D&D hate you read here.

Forkball

Ok so what the eff is Euron supposed to be doing this season? Or at all in the show? It looks like the North is all tied up with itself, the principal conflict at King's Landing is Faith vs. Crown, and the Essos plots have no bearing on him unless they replace Victarion with Yara, but even that's only somewhat connected to him. I guess they might have him attack the Citadel and we have Sam there, but I'm not sure what he's supposed to be doing in the final season if his only accomplishment is "attacked Citadel."

Apt101

Ever start to type up a post and realize you're accidentally in the non-reader thread?

Anyways, I really wonder how pointless Young Griff's entire plotline is going to end up being in TWoW seeing as they cut him out entirely, cut out the Golden Army, and hence the debate and push towards him at Storm's End. The motivations for anyone from Dorne heading there will be absent, so maybe they won't. A vast gulf of story that GRRM spent all that time writing and might all mean precisely dick in the end.

Moff

Ever start to type up a post and realize you're accidentally in the non-reader thread?

Anyways, I really wonder how pointless Young Griff's entire plotline is going to end up being in TWoW seeing as they cut him out entirely, cut out the Golden Army, and hence the debate and push towards him at Storm's End. The motivations for anyone from Dorne heading there will be absent, so maybe they won't. A vast gulf of story that GRRM spent all that time writing and might all mean precisely dick in the end.

whatever important it is they are doing with him they can do with trystane
i hope it ends up in nothing because I always felt Aegon was a very cheap plo device, I would hate it if he was not dead long before the endgame

Ishan

I mean the books are obviously more involved for example ned has all his dreams about toj etc in the show it's reduced to a convo with Robert and him telling Jon next time we meet I'll tell you ... The show obviously combines characters and their storylines and omits others . It's just unrealistic to expect otherwise given how detailed the novels are .so the way I look at it is the show will get the broad ending right for example say Sansa and the north win out or say little fingers end up dead or in a position of influence but details such as say how they go about doing it changes and I'm chill with that evidently a lot of book readers aren't ...

Does this show usually have recap specials or whatever? A lot of people I know have forgotten shit.
It'd be a montage of locations and characters that are going to appear in the episode.

HBO made me legit hyped for S6E10 with Benjen, turns out he's just a lame bait to get Jon out of his office.

I'm sure they will rerun last season tomorrow on HBO 2, leading into the premiere. That's what they have done in the past. Although if you're casual enough to forget major stuff that's probably more time than you want to put in.

Those "previously on GoT" intros can be big spoilers. Last year I got in the habit of changing the channel away for a few minutes.

Speevy

Banned
I feel sorry for everyone who knows, and I feel even sorrier for those who don't know.

Last chance to use my banner Steely.

Ozium

I didn't expect him to break NDA, I think he should have said even less than he did. He didn't even have to confirm that he was back on set, playing a corpse or whatever.

I said I would lose respect for him because, as far as my understanding of legalese goes, a contract obliging a party to lie cannot be legal hence cannot be made. A non disclosure agreement is just that, agreeing not to disclose information.

I felt like this host went rather easy on him compared to others, so I was surprised to hear him say more than he needed to:

And then the handbrake:

Look, I am not trying to annoy anyone, up until this damned interview that I wish I had not seen that I was firmly sided with all of you revivalists. Now?

If Kit lied here, I stand by what I said, if he was contractually obligated I might retract a bit.
HBO would be extremely stupid to resort to lying before exhausting silence, non answers and bland PR type statements.

I can't shake this notion now that Jon Snow's return will be limited to a flash or a vision after which he is really gone from the show.

All bets are off if lying is an option but for me, the order of likelihood:

-RR Martin and/or D&D royally fucked it up.

-Kit did not lie because his present contract has been terminated, D&D benched Kit for a season or two. Has the loophole "I come back as another character".

-Kit did not lie, Jon Snow is gone, Jon Stark/Targaryen is played by another actor.

-Kit lied

or Kit, while appearing on the Jonathan Ross show, was being glib, cheeky and/or using dry British humor, of which the audience and Mr. Ross would be familiar.

occam's razor and all

I wonder what the threshold of bullshit is for George R.R. Martin to tell people he hates the show.

He won't say anything as long as he is cashing HBO checks. I don't really peg him as a guy that'd want to publicly call out his business partners, especially ones that have done as well by him as D&D and HBO.

Ishan

Just think we keep getting more and more disgruntled book readers as we keep (acc to all signs ) swaying further and further away from book details . I'm not entirely sure that's a good thing in any way for book readers some claim okay at least the next two books aren't getting spoiled ... but you'll still get the broad strokes of the ending ...as it's been said multiple times the broad pathway to the end remains similar .. let's see . At least with winds coming out hopefully before season 7 the book readers should skip ahead of show again . But I guess only for 4-5 episodes as just assume the last 8or would be from dream of spring

Oh man this leak.

I was introduced to the series by the show but quickly caught up with the books. Every season was fantastic in my mind up til the last.

Part of me feels that the original content written by D&D has been brilliant! Jaqen Hagar(?) reappearing to teach Arya, Arya and Tywin's scenes, Hardhome. However large parts of season 5 were poor; I feel this trend will continue.

It's sad as GRRM's original vision really should have been the way long time fans saw the story pan out. I see a foresee a lot of disappointment with the show. I understand the scale of the novels is much more grand than that of the series - but decisions like cutting the iron islands and reintroducing the plot so late screams that D&D planned the series poorly. The dorne subplot really compounds this.

Gigglepoo

I don't buy the logic that D&D only include characters and plots that are important to the end, but if that is true, does that mean Dorne is somehow relevant to whatever is going to happen with the white walkers? I honestly have no clue how that's going to be the case or where the show's story is headed. Why was Dorne included!?

Speevy

Banned
Benioff-and-Weiss.jpg

Let's knock off the leak discussion for now. Same warning as before.
Cornballer said:
Hi folks, please don't post any leaks or information about it in the thread. If that's something you're interested discussing, there are sites other than GAF where you can get into that. Also, please don't beg for links. Thank you.

Pkaz01

At this point I look at it like these are two completely different things they just feature the same characters and major events that occur. Like none of the stuff going forward is going to happen the exact same way in the books and vice versa. We are at a point where there isn't even a butterfly effect there are just completely different and its impossible to go back

Oh man this leak.

I was introduced to the series by the show but quickly caught up with the books. Every season was fantastic in my mind up til the last.

Part of me feels that the original content written by D&D has been brilliant! Jaqen Hagar(?) reappearing to teach Arya, Arya and Tywin's scenes, Hardhome. However large parts of season 5 were poor; I feel this trend will continue.

It's sad as GRRM's original vision really should have been the way long time fans saw the story pan out. I see a foresee a lot of disappointment with the show. I understand the scale of the novels is much more grand than that of the series - but decisions like cutting the iron islands and reintroducing the plot so late screams that D&D planned the series poorly. The dorne subplot really compounds this.

How can you just assume that the late introduction of the ironborn plot means that they planned the story poorly? We haven't even seen the end results yet; at least wait until the season is over before passing judgement!

Personally for me, I have grown disenchanted with Martin's work. Waiting 6 years to read ADWD which followed the colossal mess that was AFFC made realize that he hasn't written anything that I personally enjoy in the last 15 years now. At this time, I don't expect him to either, and I have found the show to be a much better and more streamlined retelling of the books so far. I'm much more confident in D&D's abilities than I am in GRRM's right now.

How can you just assume that the late introduction of the ironborn plot means that they planned the story poorly? We haven't even seen the end results yet; at least wait until the season is over before passing judgement!

Personally for me, I have grown disenchanted with Martin's work. Waiting 6 years to read ADWD which followed the colossal mess that was AFFC made realize that he hasn't written anything that I personally enjoy in the last 15 years now. At this time, I don't expect him to either, and I have found the show to be a much better and more streamlined retelling of the books so far. I'm much more confident in D&D's abilities than I am in GRRM's right now.

Ah so we're judging the books/ show from opposite perspectives. I really enjoyed the beefier world building of the books; it probably helped I was able to better visualize events, characters and locals due to watching the show first.

With regards to the ironborn plot it really seems it's come into play too late. Scenes like Baylon Greyjoy's really should have happened by now. Heck in the show the guy won the war of the 5 kings!

I really hope D&D hit it out of the park this season. I will be avoiding this forum and /r/asoiaf during the course of the season and only read the no book spoiler thread for impressions there. I will be trying my hardest to continue judging the series as far removed from the books as I was able to before reading them the past few months.

Damerman

Man i could not stand the discussions for GOT last season. People being picky of the most trivial shit. Hope dogmatic fans don't bum me out for what looks to be the best season yet.

belvedere

Junior Butler
There's so much hallow criticism of the show, it's almost too easy to dismiss all show criticism altogether.

There are ups and downs of the series, but please don't turn this into a TV series version of George Bush, no matter how cool it is to hate.

Speevy

Banned
I'm getting the impression that Dave and Dan said fuck you to the critics last year, but on the flip side, they're also going batshit fanfic crazy this year.

Should be entertaining by episode 9 at least.

Brakke

Banned
Man i could not stand the discussions for GOT last season. People being picky of the most trivial shit. Hope dogmatic fans don't bum me out for what looks to be the best season yet.

Is the Unsullied thread as clownish as this thread? Might just have to bail over to that one if we go all season with four "bad pussy" jokes per page.

Gotta have a Purists thread, an Unsullied thread, and then a Chill People thread maybe.

NeoGiff

Is the Unsullied thread as clownish as this thread? Might just have to bail over to that one if we go all season with four "bad pussy" jokes per page.

Gotta have a Purists thread, an Unsullied thread, and then a Chill People thread maybe.

This year it'll be all about tasting khaleesi pussy and sucking dothraki cock.

Did anyone read the preview chapters of winds of winter?
I wonder if the show will use them,or feature only entirely original materials.

Just go to Watchers on the Wall or some other Thrones forum (I like Under the Heart Tree). Usually more balanced discussion to be had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom