• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

belushy

Banned
I haven't read too many ToJ theories, because I don't want to be desensitized to the actual reveal... But does anyone believe
Lyanna gives birth to twins... Jon and Daenerys... Is that a common theory?

I haven't seen that theory but I have seen
the one that Jon and Meera Reed are twins. Ned takes Jon and Howland takes Meera. Lol....

Turin

Banned
Why not have him be a creepy tree thing in reality and the human version of himself in the dreams/past/whatever?

We can just take hallucinogens and fantasize he looks this cool.

YiaJR.jpg

Might cause an anxiety attack but whatever.

Lothar

Banned
The dialogue of ToJ was so awful. How can we ever expect the people writing this show to be capable of writing dialogue on their own when they're given good dialogue and turn it to shit?

The Show said:
Lord Stark.

I looked for you on the Trident.

We weren't there.

Your friend the usurper would lie beneath the ground if we had been.

The Mad King is dead. Rhaegar lies beneath the ground. Why weren't you there to protect your prince?

Our prince wanted us here.

Where's my sister?

I wish you good fortune in the wars to come.

And now it begins.

No. Now it ends.

The book said:
“I looked for you on the Trident,” Ned said to them.

“We were not there,” Ser Gerold answered.

“Woe to the Usurper if we had been,” said Ser Oswell.

“When King’s Landing fell, Ser Jaime slew your king with a golden sword, and I wondered where you were.”

“Far away,” Ser Gerold said, “or Aerys would yet sit the Iron Throne, and our false brother would burn in seven hells.”

“I came down on Storm’s End to lift the siege,” Ned told them, and the Lords Tyrell and Redwyne dipped their banners, and all their knights bent the knee to pledge us fealty. I was certain you would be among them.”

“Our knees do not bend easily,” said Ser Arthur Dayne.

“Ser Willem Darry is fled to Dragonstone, with your queen and Prince Viserys. I thought you might have sailed with him.”

“Ser Willem is a good man and true,” said Ser Oswell.

“But not of the Kingsguard,” Ser Gerold pointed out. “The Kingsguard does not flee.”

“Then or now,” said Ser Arthur. He donned his helm.

“We swore a vow,” explained old Ser Gerold.

Ned’s wraiths moved up beside him, with shadow swords in hand. They were seven against three.

“And now it begins,” said Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning. He unsheathed Dawn and held it with both hands. The blade was pale as milkglass, alive with light.

“No,” Ned said with sadness in his voice. “Now it ends.”

How can D & D think what they've written was better?

Dull episode. The only scenes I saw any reason to care about was this one which disappointed me and the Jon scenes. Dany being in Vaes Dothrak saying her titles to everyone she meets and Sam scenes bother me as much as Dorne. I'm so tired of Ramsay. Jaime's character development is still stalled and they're repeating scenes of the Small Council rejecting Cersei that we already saw last season. Please let this episode be the last of Arya's training.

Halfway through the episode now, it's alright, but... man, the Tyrion scene. It's so dull even the characters are commenting on how they have nothing to do or talk about.

Yes. I even forgot about this one. It really feels like the writers are airing their own writers block.

CoolOff

The dialogue of ToJ was so awful. How can we ever expect the people writing this show to be capable of writing dialogue on their own when they're given good dialogue and turn it to shit?

Dull episode. The only scenes I saw any reason to care about was this one which disappointed me and the Jon scenes. Dany being in Vaes Dothrak saying her titles to everyone she meets and Sam scenes bother me as much as Dorne. I'm so tired of Ramsay. Jaime's character development is still stalled and they're repeating scenes of the Small Council rejecting Cersei that we already saw last season. Please let this episode be the last of Arya's training.

Yes. I even forgot about this one. It really feels like the writers are airing their own writers block.

First of all, let's remove everything that isn't dialogue:

Lord Stark.

I looked for you on the Trident.

We weren't there.

Your friend the usurper would lie beneath the ground if we had been.

The Mad King is dead. Rhaegar lies beneath the ground. Why weren't you there to protect your prince?

Our prince wanted us here.

Where's my sister?

I wish you good fortune in the wars to come.

And now it begins.

No. Now it ends.

“I looked for you on the Trident,”

“We were not there,”

“Woe to the Usurper if we had been,”

“When King’s Landing fell, Ser Jaime slew your king with a golden sword, and I wondered where you were.”

“Far away, or Aerys would yet sit the Iron Throne, and our false brother would burn in seven hells.”

“I came down on Storm’s End to lift the siege, and the Lords Tyrell and Redwyne dipped their banners, and all their knights bent the knee to pledge us fealty. I was certain you would be among them.”

“Our knees do not bend easily,”

“Ser Willem Darry is fled to Dragonstone, with your queen and Prince Viserys. I thought you might have sailed with him.”

“Ser Willem is a good man and true,”

“But not of the Kingsguard, The Kingsguard does not flee.”

“Then or now,”

“We swore a vow,”

“And now it begins,”

“No, Now it ends.”

Oh look how awful they made it. Half of the names make no sense to show watchers, and they need some refreshing of when this takes place with the references to Rhaegar and Aerys. I guess they could've kept the line about them not fleeing.

Gigglepoo

I think Ramsay is the only character I want to die. The rest are either compelling, have potential (come on, Jamie and Dany!), or give me something to bitch about (Sand Snakes). Only Ramsay is dragging things down.

I love whoever they got to play Qyburm. He's perfect vacillates between kindly old man and mysterious creep.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I think Ramsay is the only character I want to die. The rest are either compelling, have potential (come on, Jamie and Dany!), or give me something to bitch about (Sand Snakes). Only Ramsay is dragging things down.

I love whoever they got to play Qyburm. He's perfect vacillates between kindly old man and mysterious creep.

I wouldn't care is show Jamie dies or not. He's not nearly as compelling as Book Jamie.

Turin

Banned
Still bothers me because Jaime was pretty much perfect the first three seasons.

Here's a link to that theory:

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/1e361x/spoilers_all_meera_reed_more_than_meets_the_eyes/

Not real evidence mostly just points of why it could be a possibility.

Lol. The poster's name, "MikeTysonsLifeCoach".

Anyway. It's a neat theory. Not entirely implausible but you'd think GRRM would have done just a little bit of foreshadowing. He just can't help himself but to foreshadow things.

Give me a break. All they did was trim out (most of) the pretentious bullshit.

GRRM's dialogue has never been exceptional.

I wouldn't care is show Jamie dies or not. He's not nearly as compelling as Book Jamie.

He was fantastic through to the end of season 3.

Scenes with Tywin and Tyrion really helped him in season 4. But lately he's been a drag on the show, as has the KL story line really. Having Lady Oleyna back is fantastic as the setting was lacking great characters.

dubq

Got this from somewhere. Interesting theory.

''Bran realizes that others can hear him during the visions from the past, but doesn't understand that they cannot fully understand him.
He attempts to reason with King Aerys when shown a vision of him.
The King only hears whispers, and is driven mad by it.
Bran tries to fix this, however makes it worse.
Mad King Aerys burns Bran's grandfather alive while Bran frantically tries to stop him.
All he hears is whispers.
Bran sets the events of the show in motion.'

Except, you can't change the past.. to quote Bloodraven, "the ink is already dry."

Gigglepoo

Still bothers me because Jaime was pretty much perfect the first three seasons.

Lol. The poster's name, "MikeTysonsLifeCoach".

Anyway. It's a neat theory. Not entirely implausible but you'd think GRRM would have done just a little bit of foreshadowing. He just can't help himself but to foreshadow things.

I think it's possible on the show but, as you said, Martin doesn't trick people with twists like this. It would be cheap to give Jon's twin sister green eyes. Anything is possible in the show, though.

Meera being the third rider in the books isn't crazy, though. Here's an essay arguing just that: https://weirwoodleviathan.wordpress.com/2015/12/30/young-aegon-vs-the-world-tree/

The show really feels like it needs to just breath a little and focus on some characterization. It excelled at this in the earlier seasons. A lot has happened the past three episodes, but it still feels like we haven't learned much new about anything.

A big character I want to see fleshed out is Leaf(?) and the Children of the Forest in general. It may be a bit too high fantasy for the general audience... but screw them :').

Lothar

Banned
First of all, let's remove everything that isn't dialogue:

Oh look how awful they made it.

Yeah, I know.

World of difference in quality in just these two lines side by side.

"Your friend the usurper would lie beneath the ground if we had been."
“Woe to the Usurper if we had been,”

Half of the names make no sense to show watchers, and they need some refreshing of when this takes place with the references to Rhaegar and Aerys. I guess they could've kept the line about them not fleeing.

Compared to the show version where you don't know who are half the people fighting and why.

The people I was watching it with had no clue, and how could they? So the scene meant nothing to them.

Why not say they were the Kingsguard? Why not say Jaime just killed their king so the viewers can piece together what's going on? They didn't even say the Mad King was their king. Just that the Mad King is dead.

dubq

The more I think about it the more pissed I am at the North shenanigans, they purposefully dumb down everyone around Ramsay so he can get his way. There is no way Osha didn't see what was coming, she saved the Stark kids, twice, she even sent hounds in the wrong trail, she was damn good at reading the situation and surviving, and now you are telling me she did not see Smalljon coming?

Bran sent them to the Umbers, no? Who's to say they didn't get there safe, only to have the Smalljon eventually turn on them to bring them to Ramsay. That is, unless it's a ruse..

The show really feels like it needs to just breath a little and focus on some characterization. It excelled at this in the earlier seasons. A lot has happened the past three episodes, but it still feels like we haven't learned much new about anything.

Agreed. The deaths so far don't have as much impact to me because I feel like they are all coming at a rapid pace, like the show is too trying to quickly remove a lot plotlines.

Bran sent them to the Umbers, no? Who's to say they didn't get there safe, only to have the Smalljon eventually turn on them to bring them to Ramsay. That is, unless it's a ruse..

My ruse (roose haha) theory will be proven true. I feel it in the air, like a voice on the wind.

The Jamie arc in the show is really tragic, it's as though he never progresses beyond his obsession with Cersei.

If Smalljon doesn't end up being the Manderly substitute I'll be heartbroken. He better end up feeding Ramsay his dogs in a pie.

Speevy

Banned
Have you guys noticed how Arya mentioned Walder Frey? That seems like pretty clear evidence that he's dying this season.

Anarkin

Next episode preview:
I hope Jon is still at Castle Black when Sansa arrives. But it looked like Jon was leaving at the end of last episode.

I actually enjoyed this episode more than the others of this season, TBH, even if it had some boring parts.

As for the Tower of Joy scene, it was okay. I dislike that they really downplay parts of the lore/mythos, like Dawn. It was supposed to be this fantastic looking greatsword, right?

It hurts seeing what they did to show Jaime's storyline. Book Jaime was one of my favorite characters.

Luckily, the rape scene is far enough behind me that I can just forget it entirely and imagine it never happened. Still wish we got more in his head and how he's feeling. They were doing so well up to a point.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
He was fantastic through to the end of season 3.

Scenes with Tywin and Tyrion really helped him in season 4. But lately he's been a drag on the show, as has the KL story line really. Having Lady Oleyna back is fantastic as the setting was lacking great characters.

They pretty much blew his redemption arc once he got back to Kings Landing. He's pretty much the same guy he was before he got his hand cut off, still devoted to Cersei.

Syder

Tower of Joy scene was stupid as hell. Should have just had Dayne cut through the northern lords like swine with a greatsword only to get taken out by a poison arrow before he could do the same to Ned.
Couldn't even tell which sword was Dawn because both swords he was using looked so generic.

Euron

I very much doubt it's a ruse. Doesn't fit with how D&D have been writing everything else. They'll end up making (Speculation)
Rickon's inevitable death at the hands of Ramsay into motivation for Jon in their upcoming battle

If Smalljon doesn't end up being the Manderly substitute I'll be heartbroken. He better end up feeding Ramsay his dogs in a pie.
Casting Information

“Fletcher”: He is a fat nobleman in his 60’s. He has distinctive rugged features, a Northern accent, and a distinguished air. Our source says he has a stirring speech during which he unexpectedly shifts political allegiances.

Basically I'm pretty certain that
Fletcher=Wyman Manderly, especially considering that the family has been name-dropped multiple times this season

Lothar

Banned
Can't believe they had the perfect opportunity to have Jaime fight with Cersei on Episode 1 and they didn't take it. What the hell are they doing? Their breakup (assuming that they will break up) should have been slowly building. If it ever happens, you can guarantee it'll be sudden and rushed and won't make any sense. Jaime will probably come off looking like the bad person in it somehow.

emag

Next episode preview:
I hope Jon is still at Castle Black when Sansa arrives. But it looked like Jon was leaving at the end of last episode.

Do you think Sansa & co. get to Castle Black next episode? Perhaps they're making a stop at Bear Island or Howl[and Reed]'s Moving Castle?

Couldn't even tell which sword was Dawn because both swords he was using looked so generic.

What they did to Reed was just as bad. He should have never run into battle head on as the whole point of the character is that he fought for the north and what was right with underhand tactics, Ned saw the value in that despite his own code of character. The scene makes a smart character look dumb for the sake of a meaningless dual wielding badass.

“Fletcher”: He is a fat nobleman in his 60’s. He has distinctive rugged features, a Northern accent, and a distinguished air. Our source says he has a stirring speech during which he unexpectedly shifts political allegiances.

Basically I'm pretty certain that
Fletcher=Wyman Manderly, especially considering that the family has been name-dropped multiple times this season

Then everything is forgiven. Manderly was one of the best damned characters in the books and if we see him represented I'll be content.

Syder

Do you think Sansa & co. get to Castle Black next episode? Perhaps they're making a stop at Bear Island or Howl[and Reed]'s Moving Castle?
I love that this show has made us think characters will just pop into locations that would take weeks to get to.

I love that this show has made us think characters will just pop into locations that would take weeks to get to.

Heading North from Winterfell (with horses) since mid-episode one and reaching Castle Black in episode four is far from a stretch of the norm for the show (Jon and Tyrion left Winterfell in episode 2 in season 1 and were there the next episode).

Regardless, in a show that takes place across two massive continents with dozens of important characters, the idea of trying to hold everyone to the same rigid timeline isn't very practical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom