• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
I love that this show has made us think characters will just pop into locations that would take weeks to get to.

Littlefinger's Teleportation Machine, I call it.

Littlefinger managed to go from the Eyrie to Winterfell, then to King's Landing over the course of a few days.

He did the same thing when he was visiting the Stormlands to offer terms to Catelyn and the Tyrells, just whisking back to King's Landing.

It took Melisandre about a half a day to get from a place right outside the path leading to Winterfell back to the wall despite the fact that half of Stannis' men starved to death on this trip.

It seems like
Theon has borrowed it next episode.

Littlefinger's Teleportation Machine, I call it.

Littlefinger managed to go from the Eyrie to Winterfell, then to King's Landing over the course of a few days.

He did the same thing when he was visiting the Stormlands to offer terms to Catelyn and the Tyrells, just whisking back to King's Landing.

It took Melisandre about a half a day to get from a place right outside the path leading to Winterfell back to the wall despite the fact that half of Stannis' men starved to death on this trip.

It seems like
Theon has borrowed it next episode.

Not sure how the show implied that Littlefinger did that within a course of a few days, time passes in a storyline when appropriate, it's not terribly difficult to interpret.

The alternative is handicap the show by stalling momentum on storylines because you think people won't interpret the logical passing of time...

Anarkin

Without a coat!?

I'm just a little worried because of previous seasons. ;) But you're right I didn't think about that and it wouldn't make much sense to leave just like that.

Do you think Sansa & co. get to Castle Black next episode? Perhaps they're making a stop at Bear Island or Howl[and Reed]'s Moving Castle?

I thought so when I watched the preview but I forgot the giant destroyed the gate in episode 2, so it's most likely not Castle Black. Damn, I just want them to meet finally.

Hazmat

I've been wanting a Tower of Joy scene for years and the fight was just awful. Not Sand Snakes awful, but kind of close.

Bye-bye Ollie.

Can't believe they had the perfect opportunity to have Jaime fight with Cersei on Episode 1 and they didn't take it. What the hell are they doing? Their breakup (assuming that they will break up) should have been slowly building. If it ever happens, you can guarantee it'll be sudden and rushed and won't make any sense. Jaime will probably come off looking like the bad person in it somehow.

Maybe he'll rape her one time too many and she'll send him to the Riverlands as punishment.

Syder

Bye-bye Ollie.
If they stick to the foreshadowing with Beric Dondarrion losing a part of himself, Jon should lose a part of his honour and have all of the remaining traitors, including Ollie, executed. I don't have faith in this show to do that.

KahooTs

So today at lunch a show-only coworker (he just thinks it's a well-acted show with interesting characters, he doesn't care about about fantasy stuff or anything) asked me about two theories he came up with on his own: that Tyrion is really a Targ, and the Mad King is Jon's real dad.

Not unreasonable. You've got three central characters and three dragons. Only Targaryens apparently rode dragons and they inbred. One of these central characters is a Targ, the other has mysterious parentage. Then there's a scene with the third character where he walks into the dragon's cave, frees them and doesn't get eaten. If someone steps back and has a look at the big picture, coming to the theory that the end game is the three main characters riding the three dragons and thus the other two are going to be revealed as having Targ parentage isn't a big jump for someone to make.

MaGlock

If they stick to the foreshadowing with Beric Dondarrion losing a part of himself, Jon should lose a part of his honour and have all of the remaining traitors, including Ollie, executed. I don't have faith in this show to do that.

.....wait what

Syder

Not unreasonable. You've got three central characters and three dragons. Only Targaryens apparently rode dragons and they inbred. One of these central characters is a Targ, the other has mysterious parentage. Then there's a scene with the third character where he walks into the dragon's cave, frees them and doesn't get eaten. If someone steps back and has a look at the big picture, coming to the theory that the end game is the three main characters riding the three dragons and thus the other two are going to be revealed as having Targ parentage isn't a big jump for someone to make.
Jon and Tyrion being secret Targaryens would be quite disappointing, in my opinion. Also, the books do state that not only do non-Targaryens and non-Targaryen relatives ride dragons but that dragons can be won over by feeding them. I'd prefer Tyrion wins over a dragon through diplomacy, it matches his character's strengths better.

sadblob

Have you seen the last episode?

KahooTs

Jon and Tyrion being secret Targaryens would be quite disappointing, in my opinion. Also, the books do state that not only do non-Targaryens and non-Targaryen relatives ride dragons but that dragons can be won over by feeding them. I'd prefer Tyrion wins over a dragon through diplomacy, it matches his character's strengths better.

The various texts have (obviously on purpose) not given any definitive answer as to whether Targaryen blood, bastard or trueborn, is a requirement to ride dragons post Valyria. Multiple Valyrian families were clearly on the same dragon bondage gear that Targs were.

But this is all beside the point, with what information the show watchers have been given, it's perfectly valid that they would come to the theory that person's work friend did.

Syder

The various texts have (obviously on purpose) not given any definitive answer as to whether Targaryen blood, bastard or trueborn, is a requirement to ride dragons post Valyria. Multiple Valyrian families were clearly on the same dragon bondage gear that Targs were.

But this is all beside the point, with what information the show watchers have been given, it's perfectly valid that they would come to the theory that person's work friend did.
I'm not saying they're wrong, I'm just saying it would be a cop-out conclusion to Tyrion's storyline, whether it's the show's choosing or what GRRM eventually writes.

so they played a bit of the house targaryen music before Jon swung the sword.. missed it but yeah its played a bit slower.

Yeah that was interesting. Also didn't notice Littlefinger's theme was playing when Catelyn delivers the news of Jon Arryn's death to Ned. Lots of cool musical cues in the show.

mantidor

Bran sent them to the Umbers, no? Who's to say they didn't get there safe, only to have the Smalljon eventually turn on them to bring them to Ramsay. That is, unless it's a ruse..

This is exactly the problem with everything Ramsay, we have to fill in the blanks about these extraordinary and unlikely events like ironborn running from dogs, 20 good men destroying all the supplies of a 10 thousand men army, and now one of the most loyal houses turning around and giving him the only known Stark heir. I still don't believe is a ruse, while it is still possible they might turn their backs on Ramsay, that was still the real Rickon.

I thought about Rickon being so old now and how a recast wouldn't have been out of the question, and what a great twist it would be for them to fool us with a recast and then reveal that the real Rickon was still the same actor all along, but that would have been too clever for D&D.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I thought about Rickon being so old now and how a recast wouldn't have been out of the question, and what a great twist it would be for them to fool us with a recast and then reveal that the real Rickon was still the same actor all along, but that would have been too clever for D&D.

That would have been fantastic :(

Atlantis

I thought so when I watched the preview but I forgot the giant destroyed the gate in episode 2, so it's most likely not Castle Black. Damn, I just want them to meet finally.

It's gotta be Castle Black.

Brienne's pre-season promo shot seems to show her standing in front of the door Alliser and co. tried to break down and we saw a shot of Sansa present at the Wildling/Bolton battle in one of the season trailers. If they don't reunite next episode, it's still coming eventually.

I can't wait for the ToJ reveal and the dozen of click bait stories it'll spawn crediting the show with this "shocking" revelation while crediting the show, including sites that already did stories on R+L=J.

suzu

I feel like if they do change Jaime (to the book version) it'll happen towards the latter episodes of this season or during the final season.

I can't remember if the show prophecy mentioned the younger brother part to Cersei?

ryseing

Was the name "Tower of Joy" ever mentioned in the show? I was looking at the No Book thread and I see it posted a lot.

A lot of show focused reviewers have been using the phrase. It's easy shorthand instead of "flashback involving young Ned and sword dude".

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I have convinced myself so strongly that The Hound will come back to kill Gregor. It makes so much sense to me that I feel crazy, like I've accidentally glimpsed into the future.

Metroxed

I actually think the show is handling time and distances pretty well:

I think it is clear that even though all the events in the different arcs are happening roughly at the same time, there is not a day-to-day correlation. In some scenes several days pass in one location while in others we are still in the same day.

A clear and recent example of this: since the end of season 5 and last Sunday's episode, in the Wall we can say that 2-3 days have gone by, tops. But it is illogical to believe that in 2 days Arya has gone from being a blind beggar to actually resisting the waif. Just the way the scenes were edited you can see that days, if not weeks, have passed between episode 1 and 3 in Braavos. The same goes for Dany: she's gone through the Dothraki sea and reaches Vaes Dothrak, but obviously more than 2 days have pased.

That alone explains how Littlefinger moves from location to location, and it makes perfect sense. We see him in the Vale and the next episode he is King's Landing, but that does not mean just one or two days have passed on his storyline. We know it takes weeks from King's Landing to the Neck.

Besides you cannot stall storytelling and the plot of the show by making characters take many episodes traveling from one place to another. We assume it takes them the time that is meant to take them (days, weeks), even if we don't see it. Otherwise the show would never progress.

Brakke

Banned
My favorite part about that Meera post is how it references the most bonkers theory I've ever heard: that Jojen is Howland in disguise???

Kain

OK, so this episode was sooooooooooooooooo boring. Fuck I almost fell asleep a couple of times. All the Meereen, Arya and KL part (man, Tommen is horrible) were some of the most boring scenes in the show EVER. God lord the pacing. Meereen is empty. Jaime is angry dad now. Showing the little birds like this was pure cringe (Vary's reveal in ADWD is way cooler). What a mess.

The Tower of joy felt cheap. Like Sharknado cheap. I wasn't expecting nothing out of the ordinary, but oh well. Nice to see they mention Howland (I really thought they would skip him completely) and it was shitty to cut the best part, but expected. I'll watch again the fight, but I didn't dislike it.

So, the good: the North. Good, Jon, no, GREAT, fucking ace, man. It might be a little fanservicey but fuck it, about damn time. Fuck Olly. Fuck Thorne. Fuck the other two whoever they were. Fuck Olly again. Now on to Winterfell for the Bastardbowl.

The Cleganebowl is confirmed, too.

And lastly the gift to Invincible Joffrey. The gf was just speaking about Rickon aaaaaaand there he is. Invincible Joffrey is one of the worst characters of the show. Everything is going perfectly for him, he is inmortal and he has 20 good men (maybe 15 now). His death will not be rewarding because we can't hate the guy, he is Satanic Jesus.

Gigglepoo

I feel like if they do change Jaime (to the book version) it'll happen towards the latter episodes of this season or during the final season.

I can't remember if the show prophecy mentioned the younger brother part to Cersei?

Nope, that wasn't part of the show's prophecy.

golem

Got this from somewhere. Interesting theory.

''Bran realizes that others can hear him during the visions from the past, but doesn't understand that they cannot fully understand him.
He attempts to reason with King Aerys when shown a vision of him.
The King only hears whispers, and is driven mad by it.
Bran tries to fix this, however makes it worse.
Mad King Aerys burns Bran's grandfather alive while Bran frantically tries to stop him.
All he hears is whispers.
Bran sets the events of the show in motion.'

More likely at the time Aerys was hearing whispers from Bloodraven trying to warn him thus turning him paranoid.

R+L= J... & D

They're twins. One represents the Fire, the other Ice. One is reborn in the flames and the other a cold hard death. The Ying and Yang. Everything Ned did at Kings landing, from the fever dreams to his role as hand was to protect the one he couldn't. And in true Targaryen Fashion they will marry. The seperation and them being polar opposites, disjointed in every possible way makes a marriage seem less incestial.

devilhawk

R+L= J... & D

They're twins. One represents the Fire, the other Ice. One is reborn in the flames and the other a cold hard death. The Ying and Yang. Everything Ned did at Kings landing, from the fever dreams to his role as hand was to protect the one he couldn't. And in true Targaryen Fashion they will marry. The seperation and them being polar opposites, disjointed in every possible way makes a marriage seem less incestial.
I can't rule out Jon having a sibling, but there seems to be overwhelming evidence and suggestion that Dany was born on Dragonstone.

The show really feels like it needs to just breath a little and focus on some characterization. It excelled at this in the earlier seasons. A lot has happened the past three episodes, but it still feels like we haven't learned much new about anything.

A big character I want to see fleshed out is Leaf(?) and the Children of the Forest in general. It may be a bit too high fantasy for the general audience... but screw them :').

They have been doing exactly this so far this season though?

This episode provided excellent character insight into Arya, Varys, the High Sparrow, Tommen, etc.

Henkka

Banned
So that episode was pretty good. Each episode so far has been better than the last, so let's hope they keep it up. However...

How-FUCKING-ever.

What in Seven Hells was that ToJ fight? That was absolutely horrendous.Some prequel era bullshit sword fighting right there.

Yeah... I guess they didn't know how to sell the audience on him being one of the best swordsmen ever without giving him a gimmick.

Kain

Young Ned's actor was weird. He was trying to imitate Sean and at the same time he was putting this weird face, like the sun was bothering him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom