• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe no one on the creative team was aware of Pycelle farting in the Bad Lip Reading video. Or they knew and did it anyway, which would be even worse. Like that moment was important enough to the scene to bring the show down to literally apeing parodies of itself.

Sheroking

R+L= J... & D

They're twins. One represents the Fire, the other Ice. One is reborn in the flames and the other a cold hard death. The Ying and Yang. Everything Ned did at Kings landing, from the fever dreams to his role as hand was to protect the one he couldn't. And in true Targaryen Fashion they will marry. The seperation and them being polar opposites, disjointed in every possible way makes a marriage seem less incestial.

They aren't twins. We know where Dany was when the Mad King fell, we know that the Tower of Joy happened a short while after Robert had taken the throne. It doesn't match up.

The rest of this might be true. The idea that A Song of Ice and Fire refers to Jon and Dany is almost as old as the books themselves.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Young Ned's actor was weird. He was trying to imitate Sean and at the same time he was putting this weird face, like the sun was bothering him.

He kinda works as Robb's father, with the face and voice, but yeah, he doesn't look like Old Ned one bit.

Yonafunu

They aren't twins. We know where Dany was when the Mad King fell, we know that the Tower of Joy happened a short while after Robert had taken the throne. It doesn't match up.

The rest of this might be true. The idea that A Song of Ice and Fire refers to Jon and Dany is almost as old as the books themselves.

A Song of Ice and Fire could refer to Jon and Dany, but it can also refer to Jon alone, as he is both ice and fire (Stark + Targaryen). In Dany's vision of Rhaegar in the House of the Undying he says "he is the prince that was promised, and his is the song of ice and fire". Although he is talking about Aegon in the vision, his words fit everything we know about Jon.

Question: Who is next in line of succession? If Tommen dies there is no Baratheon (ahum) left iirc.

Honestly, no clue at this point. It'd have to be some kind of cousin or nephew in the paternal line, but we don't know enough about the Baratheon family line to answer that question.

If you want to be very technical about it: Robert claimed legitimacy to the crown through his grandmother, Rhaelle Targaryen. His father, Steffon Baratheon, was the only child from that union. So, unless there's another male descendent down that line, I think we'd move back into the Targaryen line. That would make Danaerys the rightful heir.

However, there's no way that would happen. If Tommen dies without progeny and the kingdoms don't erupt into all-out war at that point, a Great Council would have to be held. The only way Dany can take the Iron Throne is by force.

Chuckie

Honestly, no clue at this point. It'd have to be some kind of cousin or nephew in the paternal line, but if the family trees are any indicitation, there aren't any of those left either.

If Tommen dies without progeny, they'd probably have to hold another Great Council.

I went looking on the interwebs in answer of my own question.... and according to one site it is actually Dany... because Roberts grandmother was Rhaelle Targaryen.

Edit: Nice edit...NINJA!

jdstorm

Banned
It seems most of the Targaryens got taken out in the dance with dragons so unless there are some secret Targaryens it might just be a free for all. Unless A great Council wanted to reinstate Dany. If she can even leave the Kalashr

Edit. Maybe they'd legitimise one of Roberts Bastards. I think Gendry and the girl from the Eyre are both still Alive

HBO's schedule has been updated:

Previously announced:
604 - Book of the Stranger
605 - The Door

New titles:
606 - Blood of My Blood
607 - The Broken Man

Edit: dammit CB!

Edit: dammit CB!
yT6pBZq.gif

LifEndz

Young Ned's actor was weird. He was trying to imitate Sean and at the same time he was putting this weird face, like the sun was bothering him.

That's what I thought. I'm not sure if it was the director telling him the scrunched up squinty face conveys solemness, but it looked like he needed to put his hand above his eyes to block the sun.

That aside, that sword fight was great. Maybe they could get the sand snakes right if they do another fight scene with them....

mantidor

"blood of my blood" I hope is Dany getting the kalhasar or something, if they drag that storyline to episode 9 10 it would be so lame. The dosh Khaled is the most boring thing right now.

Inversive

If cleganbowl happens (pls pls) how is the hound even gonna stand a chance? In the book he has a lame leg and in the show his body is totally fucked lmao.

Some random thoughts:

1. Wonder what stupid scheme Littlefinger is up to now that his whole Sansa plot was a complete disaster.

2. I CANNOT see Jon abandoning the watch. He must know his ultimate fate is to face the white walker ice king. Or at least he should feel that way as he is one of the few to see the threat first hand and survive. How can he care about the game knowing what the actual threat is? Makes no sense to me.

3. There's not nearly enough time for Samwell to become a maester. And no way are the going to dedicate the time he deserves. He must come up with something huge to fight the white walkers with, like an obsidian lightning rod or something. Otherwise I don't see how he has any impact on either of the central conflicts.

4. I kinda hate the show now. I mean, it was great as an alternate take/companion piece to the books for me, but the books are the real meat. Having to find out what happens feels like someone just reading me the cliffs notes of the books. It's my own damn fault because I can't stop watching though. Damn you grrm

MisterR

Some random thoughts:

1. Wonder what stupid scheme Littlefinger is up to now that his whole Sansa plot was a complete disaster.

2. I CANNOT see Jon abandoning the watch. He must know his ultimate fate is to face the white walker ice king. Or at least he should feel that way as he is one of the few to see the threat first hand and survive. How can he care about the game knowing what the actual threat is? Makes no sense to me.

3. There's not nearly enough time for Samwell to become a maester. And no way are the going to dedicate the time he deserves. He must come up with something huge to fight the white walkers with, like an obsidian lightning rod or something. Otherwise I don't see how he has any impact on either of the central conflicts.

4. I kinda hate the show now. I mean, it was great as an alternate take/companion piece to the books for me, but the books are the real meat. Having to find out what happens feels like someone just reading me the cliffs notes of the books. It's my own damn fault because I can't stop watching though. Damn you grrm

This is exactly what it feels like. It's so shallow and poorly written.

Moff

I felt super indifferent towards both the show and the books a few weeks ago.
but now that changed, the first few episodes were good, entertaining.

If they are ever released, I will still read the books, but mostly because I feel I need to. I expect them to be as mediocre as AFFC/ADWD.
GRRM has just lost his touch.

MisterR

I felt super indifferent towards both the show and the books a few weeks ago.
but now that changed, the first few episodes were good, entertaining.

If they are ever released, I will still read the books, but mostly because I feel I need to. I expect them to be as mediocre as AFFC/ADWD.
GRRM has just lost his touch.

To each their own I guess, but I don't see how anyone could consider AFFC/ADWD mediocre and the show good. While they have their faults, they are worlds more interesting and well written than the show.

mantidor

Someone described perfectly the current issue a while back, instead of the characters driving plot points, is the plot points driving the characters, and it just shows they are in a huge rush to end it and there is still too much story left, so they are cutting corners in a way.

But it's almost being a parody so it's kind of entertaining, and it has dragons with decent cgi, I'll keep watching.

Lothar

Banned
GRRM lost his touch but last episode featured these writers taking a good memorable scene GRRM wrote and butchered it and made it nothing.

Eidan

To each their own I guess, but I don't see how anyone could consider AFFC/ADWD mediocre and the show good. While they have their faults, they are worlds more interesting and well written than the show.

AFFC and ADWD are plodding messes. Too many characters and plot threads are introduced that the reader doesn't have much reason to care about, and the characters and plots that the reader has an attachment to go neglected or advance at a glacial pace. There's a lot of complaints from book readers that the show is now advancing too quickly and that it's cutting corners to keep the story moving, but honestly, those are corners that Martin should have made if he had a competent editor, or at least listened to that competent editor.

I think season 5 is the weakest season of the show so far not only because it was adapting some of the weakest material in the series, but because it was still trying to cling to plot threads introduced in those weakest installments that shouldn't have even been introduced. It was smart this season to skip all of Doran's protracted plotting that we know will fail, and get straight to Dorne's open rebellion, and since it's free of much of the books for the most part, I expect the show to continue to trim the fat, to the show's benefit.

SteveWD40

He knows that the watch alone don't stand a chance, and that without the North and South united they are all fucked. He can't do that from Castle Black, he asked for help and was ignored.

It makes sense for him to try and rally support as best he can, but so far I am not sure what his plan is before Sansa arrives and lends legitimacy.

Showaddy

Watching episode 1 and Davos asking Mellisandre to resurrect John came out of nowhere. It was like he was reading a reddit speculation thread lol.

Imagine how it would have been if show Mel had never gone to kidnapped Gendry and chatted to Thoros & Beric whilst she was there...

Two new episode titles via Watchers and the HBO schedule:

Season 6, Episode 6: “Blood of My Blood”
Season 6, Episode 7: “The Broken Man”

So. Dany may still be sitting around Vaes Dothrak 6 weeks into the season. Fuck me. Dany's not gonna show up in Westeros until the series finale. I was really looking forward to the political drama her invasion would create but at this point it's safe to say the show won't be giving us any of that.

Lothar

Banned
So. Dany may still be sitting around Vaes Dothrak 6 weeks into the season. Fuck me. Dany's not gonna show up in Westeros until the series finale. I was really looking forward to the political drama her invasion would create but at this point it's safe to say the show won't be giving us any of that.

What would have made you think she was going to westeros this season? She doesn't even have ships anymore.

SpaceHorror

I fully expect Dany traveling to Westeros to be her final scene in the season, hell, maybe the final scene of the season period.

Hound has injuries but so does Gregor

I fully expect Dany traveling to Westeros to be her final scene in the season, hell, maybe the final scene of the season period.

Was going to say the same. Last scene of season will be Dany on Drogon with the other two on their side flying to Westeros along with her army.

A little late to the discussion on who would be next line for the iron throne, but assuming R+L=J=true and others found out about it, wouldn't Jon be next in line? Given that it only goes down through the male line. Or is he still a bastard even though it's two royals?

Lothar

Banned
Hound has injuries but so does Gregor

Was going to say the same. Last scene of season will be Dany on Drogon with the other two on their side flying to Westeros along with her army.

And then the merchant in Qarth will blow his dragon horn and call her back down and next season will be her in Qarth.

mantidor

A little late to the discussion on who would be next line for the iron throne, but assuming R+L=J=true and others found out about it, wouldn't Jon be next in line? Given that it only goes down through the male line. Or is he still a bastard even though it's two royals?

The theory also claims Rhaegar married Leanna and Targaryens are big on polygamy so it's not that bizarre.

I think the end game is currently the most interesting aspect, we are stuck with the absurdity of the North for now but the whole thing with the Others is the real meat and I'm still hoping the show will do it justice.

Maybe I'm just too naive.

Brakke

Banned

Yes if R married L (not unlikely). But what house cares about succession at this point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom