• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
D&D excel at taking potentially interesting ideas (Tyrion and Varys in Mereen? Sign me up!) and doing jack all with them.

I will forever be salty with their treatment of Stannis.

The one true king.

:(

I really dislike Brienne's character as a result. I wonder how they deal with a scene between Brienne and Davos - I'm guessing poorly.

Preston Jacobs guesses that forcing Dany to go to Vaas Dorthrak to get a larger army doesn't make sense because she already has a huge army, so there must be another reason why she goes there. Maybe it's to find out the truth about her past from before the show began. That would finally shed light on Illyrio and (maybe) Varys' true motives and tie up some of the conflicting reports about her escape, as a child, from Dragonstone.

It's a cool theory but I doubt the show would make time for it. Instead, I really do think we're going to see Daario die and then helpless damsel Dany get rescued by her dragon again. And then she'll be right back where she was in S2, with dragons and a huge army of Dorthaki.
Her unsullied is only 8000 soldiers that's not a large army by any means. Plus it's mostly infantry, whereas the Dothraki are more like cavalry.

Is anyone else tired of just how by the numbers many scenes are at this point? The High Sparrow can do nothing but preach about the evil of man and religiosity, Tyrion does nothing but quip, Dany looks imperious and repeats her titles, and Ramsey has the crazy eyes and threatens someone or does something evil.

Is anyone else tired of just how by the numbers many scenes are at this point? The High Sparrow can do nothing but preach about the evil of man and religiosity, Tyrion does nothing but quip, Dany looks imperious and repeats her titles, and Ramsey has the crazy eyes and threatens someone or does something evil.

It really is starting to feel old hat in some regards. I find myself shrugging at a lot compared to previous seasons, particularly the stuff that is meant to be brutal or shocking.

Chuckie

Doesn't Jon saying he saw nothing confirm that he didn't warg into Ghost?

Yup. Well at least in the TV series. I am still convinced he did warg into Ghost in the books.

It seems in the series really only Bran has the ability. They also skipped the 'Arya warging into cats and Nymeria' stuff.

Apt101

Doesn't Jon saying he saw nothing confirm that he didn't warg into Ghost?

Jon routinely warged into Ghost, though passively. Arya does the same with Nymeria. There's also a few powerful wilding wargs who recognize Jon as one of them. It's implied all of the Stark siblings have the ability in some capacity. I suppose they cut all of that out of the show to simplify the narrative for viewers and probably to save on budget.

XAL

Jon routinely warged into Ghost, though passively. Arya does the same with Nymeria. There's also a few powerful wilding wargs who recognize Jon as one of them. It's implied all of the Stark siblings have the ability in some capacity. I suppose they cut all of that out of the show to simplify the narrative for viewers and probably to save on budget.

Yeah they're probably ditching warging for Jon and Arya's storylines completely for the show.

_Ryo_

Guys, I read the books. I really enjoyed the Brienne chapters of AFFC, even consider it a highly underrated book. I know all about Jon and Arya's warging. I was talking exclusively about the show. Lol.

Lothar

Banned

Yeah, it also doesn't feel any different from Season 5. They must have really thought they did a wonderful job with Season 5 because they're just doing the same stuff again.

High Sparrow is still giving the same speeches. The small counsel is rejecting Cersei again. Jaime is still doing nothing and there's no progression of his character. Ramsay has a new girl to rape for the season. Dorne is still awful. Arya is still getting beat on with sticks. Dany is even more boring since she's away from the good actors.

The scenes at the Wall are good but that was the case for Season 5 too.

Massa

The High Sparrow made a move to take the King under his influence. Tyrion learned more about the conflict in Meereen and made moves to fix it (speaking of which, the Varys scene was awesome. Hoping to see more of that from him this season). Dany indeed is repeating herself but that's nothing new, hopefully something interesting happens in her "trial". And I know why everyone's tired of Ramsay but I'm interested in seeing how he leads the Boltons to their downfall now that he's in charge.

LifEndz

I listen to several GoT's podcasts and it's funny how many of them watched that tower of joy scene and came away with the impression that Ned lied about beating Dayne in combat. I always thought Ned simply left it as if it wasn't for Howland Reed he'd be dead. Maybe the show confused that for people.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Yeah, it also doesn't feel any different from Season 5. They must have really thought they did a wonderful job with Season 5 because they're just doing the same stuff again.

High Sparrow is still giving the same speeches. The small counsel is rejecting Cersei again. Jaime is still doing nothing and there's no progression of his character. Ramsay has a new girl to rape for the season. Dorne is still awful. Arya is still getting beat on with sticks. Dany is even more boring since she's away from the good actors.

The King's Landing arc wasn't completed last season. This is Part 2, same with Arya. We have no idea if Ramsay will rape Osha. Dorne hasn't been in since episode one.

Severance

I listen to several GoT's podcasts and it's funny how many of them watched that tower of joy scene and came away with the impression that Ned lied about beating Dayne in combat. I always thought Ned simply left it as if it wasn't for Howland Reed he'd be dead. Maybe the show confused that for people.

I think the show rewrote it to make it seem like Ned lied to Bran. IIRC Bran flat out said "Father told me he beat him" and then acted a bit miffed when Howland stabbed Dayne in the back.

In the books Ned gives all the credit to Howland Reed though. Maybe that was only in his own internal dialog? I don't remember if he actually told Bran or anyone else that.

LifEndz

I think the show rewrote it to make it seem like Ned lied to Bran. IIRC Bran flat out said "Father told me he beat him" and then acted a bit miffed when Howland stabbed Dayne in the back.

In the books Ned gives all the credit to Howland Reed though. Maybe that was only in his own internal dialog? I don't remember if he actually told Bran or anyone else that.

Ahhhh, gotcha. I'm on my third re-read and I may have just replaced the show's nonsense with the superior book dialogue. Plus I was probably too taken aback by Darth Dayne and his spinning sword show to hear what Bran said.

SteveWD40

When Bran first meets Jojen in the show Bran says that Howland saved Ned's life, although he doesn't say when / how.

Massa

The show doesn't say that.

- He's better than my father.
- Far better.
- But father beat him.
- Did he?
- I know he did. Heard the story a thousand times.

Jacob4815

So next episode is a boring Dany one or we should expect something interesting?

The episode will run 59 minutes, according to the HBO guide.

Lothar

Banned
The King's Landing arc wasn't completed last season. This is Part 2, same with Arya.

That's no excuse for showing the same things over again. I'd rather see Arya go around in the town learning how to be blind and warging into cats than multiple scenes of her getting beat on. Kings Landing part 2 should involve Jaime growing as a character and a split between Jaime and Cersei, not the same old same old boring crap.

We have no idea if Ramsay will rape Osha.

That's like saying we don't know if Dany will say her titles and be annoying or we don't know if Tyrion will drink and make quips.

Gigglepoo

People don't like the High Sparrow? I love that guy. His little speeches are some of D&D's best work. He knows exactly how to manipulate everyone and he's slowly gaining allies where it counts. I don't know what the wants but I find the buildup riviting.

I'm also intrigued by Dany despite her obsession with titles. Just as long as they don't make her a damsel again. It was bad enough they turned her into a damsel last season.

s9azUgF.jpg

Real Hero

Hight Sparrow seems to be one of the few character they actually put some thought into what he's saying. He has way better writing being done for him that even characters like Tyrion do at this point.

Surfinn

Hight Sparrow seems to be one of the few character they actually put some thought into what he's saying. He has way better writing being done for him that even characters like Tyrion do at this point.

Yup, I've felt like this too. He feels like one of the only characters who has really high quality writing at this point. Tyrion is a huge downgrade, hope they focus more on him soon (not just screentime).

fuzzyset

In the books, Ned says Dayne would've beat him "were it not for Howland Reed", but Catelyn also mentions that "they [people of Winterfell] whispered of Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning, deadliest of the seven knights of Aerys's Kingsguard, and of how their young lord had slain him in single combat." It's easy to see how a 10yr old Bran would grow up thinking his Dad beat him 'fair and square'. The show pretty much conveys how Bran would feel given the truth.

So just like book 4b?

"Where do whores go?"

"If I look back I am lost"

"Kill the boy"

Etc etc.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

Even though the show has created original plotlines, they still have to deal with the same issues that books 4 & 5 did. Namely that half the characters are waiting on the other half of the characters to catch up/get in place before they can move along with their own plots. GRRM handled this in the books by making a bunch of new pointless characters for the waiting characters to interact with. But since the show is trying to contract the plotlines rather than expand them now, their solution is to instead have people waffle about, train or go on sidequests (or just killed off). Hence why Tyrion is waiting around for Dany and the Greyjoys or why everyone in King's landing is waiting for the Faith plotline to reach its climax.

Lothar

Banned
Even though the show has created original plotlines, they still have to deal with the same issues that books 4 & 5 did. Namely that half the characters are waiting on the other half of the characters to catch up/get in place before they can move along with their own plots. GRRM handled this in the books by making a bunch of new pointless characters for the waiting characters to interact with. But since the show is trying to contract the plotlines rather than expand them now, their solution is to instead have people waffle about, train or go on sidequests (or just killed off). Hence why Tyrion is waiting around for Dany and the Greyjoys or why everyone in King's landing is waiting for the Faith plotline to reach its climax.

The thing is they don't just have to wait. I don't understand why Jaime and Cersei are not fighting at the very least, as they did constantly in the first half of AFOC. That would create drama, be more entertaining, and make Jaime a more likable character. Part of Jaime's transformation into a changed more noble character is supposed to be that he no longer wants to fuck/rape his sister anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom