• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigglepoo

I've felt that way about both him and Dany in both versions for several years now.

I get Dany but Bran? I look forward to his scenes every week. It's so cool seeing flashes of history and who knows where they're going with this time-travel story.

Weirdly, the North isn't super interesting to me anymore. I'm curious about Davos and Sansa but the rest just seems predictable. I hope I'm wrong.

cj_iwakura

I'm looking forward to seeing Young Ned fight Zombie Rhaegar for his sister on the top floor of the tower, but that's just me.
(May as well go full HAM on the insanity.)

NeoGiff

I'm not sure why Howland Reed wouldn't let Ned see his sister, though. He's obviously not there to kill her.

Wait, what? You mean Arthur Dayne? I assume it's because Ned would try to take her home, and Dayne is bound by oath to keep her safe in that tower until further instructed.

It's stupid and pointless, and that's the tragedy of the encounter.

cj_iwakura

Wait, what? You mean Arthur Dayne? I assume it's because Ned would try to take her home, and Dayne is bound by oath to keep her safe in that tower until further instructed.

Yeah, I'm getting my wires crossed.

Huh. Didn't realize I was at odds with other book readers regarding Bran. I figured his story was fairly popular. The possibilities of what we can see, his close proximity to the Others, and his potential to be a major player are pretty interesting to me. Ah well. :(

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I've never had a problem with the Bran chapters - I think they're compelling. I never expected to see so much dislike towards them.

Real Hero

Huh. Didn't realize I was at odds with other book readers regarding Bran. I figured his story was fairly popular. The possibilities of what we can see, his close proximity to the Others, and his potential to be a major player are pretty interesting to me. Ah well. :(

His post winterfell chapters are fantastic. The show version is not very good at all.

This is very interesting to me. I'm way into the "how'd we get here" aspects of ASOIAF, so much so that I'm not too concerned with how or when the story will end. So Bran's little history lesson chapters are thrilling to me.

I should clarify I'm talking about the Bran junk in the show, I don't like the depiction of the man in the tree and I think the whole scenario is starting to drift into a super-derivative "special boy" narrative that you can find in a thousand fantasy novels. Not to mention the terrible CGI skeletons, flashback teases, etc, etc.

The books haven't really spent much time with Bran since he reached the tree, so I can't give a definitive opinion there. I liked all the other Bran chapters!

Eidan

Definitely. I'm honestly struggling to think of anything interesting that actually happens in it after leaving Winterfell. I mean it was where we hear a lot of details about the Tourney at Harrenhal I suppose. That's the kind of thing that gives book enthusiasts hard-ons but doesn't really translate to captivating television. Coldhands?

Real Hero

The show always has them holding onto the roots for the vision quests so i think the implication is that they are linking to the trees.

I'll have to rewatch those scenes, but in the books he wouldn't be able to see the tower of joy stuff because there's no weirdwood tree right?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I'll have to rewatch those scenes, but in the books he wouldn't be able to see the tower of joy stuff because there's no weirdwood tree right?
Probably not. But the show hasn't really shown that you need a tree on the other end to connect to. Instead the show just makes it a one way magic tree, rather than the phone line thing the book has going. Probably why they skipped the Theon talking to the Weirwood scene as the implications of that would make the Tower of Joy scene difficult.

The Three Eyed Raven does mention that he'll be able to go 'beyond the trees' after practicing, but as of ADWD he's still linked to the Weirwoods.

I get Dany but Bran? I look forward to his scenes every week. It's so cool seeing flashes of history and who knows where they're going with this time-travel story.

Weirdly, the North isn't super interesting to me anymore. I'm curious about Davos and Sansa but the rest just seems predictable. I hope I'm wrong.

I actually really liked the scenes he had in Winterfell after Robb left. Everything after that has bored me for the most part, and the only reason I care about him now is because he serves as a means of showing real-time accounts of Westerosi history.

Raynes

Why isn't Jaimie being tried by the Faith in the show? Oh it's because he's in the Riverlands in the books.
What happened to Tyrion's character development? He's drinking more than ever, and his wit and confidence has disappeared. Now he's asking Vary's to punch him in the face if he gets another stupid idea. This was the same guy who talked his way out of getting killed in a show where people die like flies.
Why were only 4 people executed when they made a point of it to show 6 men stabbing Jon?

Massa

Why would the Faith want to capture Jaime? He's not the Queen, he doesn't have anything they want. Unless you believe they're doing this for the gods instead of power?

Tyrion is plotting to solve the Slaver's Bay situation. As far as politics go he's probably one of the most active characters in the show right now, even if nobody gives a damn about Meereen. He's not asking where whores go, but the fact that he's a drunk actually says something about his character. And his line about punching in the face came right after one of his best dialogues in the show.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Because Jamie is a different, better man, who is clearly on an emotional character development arc...

wait, that's the books too.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I can't believe how poorly they've handled Jaime on the show. He's regressed so much as a character that he's practically back to being the same guy from season one, minus a hand.

mantidor

Why would the Faith want to capture Jaime? He's not the Queen, he doesn't have anything they want. Unless you believe they're doing this for the gods instead of power?

They don't imprison just because of political strategy lol it makes no sense to not imprison Jaime when even the common people joke about his incest with Cersei.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Tyrion is plotting to solve the Slaver's Bay situation. As far as politics go he's probably one of the most active characters in the show right now, even if nobody gives a damn about Meereen.

...he is? I thought that was Varys? Tyrion freed the dragons and has done nothing else so far this season besides make dick jokes (btw the writers really love dick jokes holy shit).

Daemul

Bran's, Brienne's and the latter half of Dany's ADWD chapters are the parts I dread trudging through on re-reads, everything else I have no issue with and enjoy reading again, even Arya's sections, which surprising haven't begun to piss me off yet.

Raynes

Since they want power isn't it in their best interest to remove all the key players like Jaimie? They went after Cersie and she's not the queen. Since they are trying to really break Cersie, why not take away one of the few sources of security she has - Jaimie?

Tyrion is plotting to solve the Slaver's Bay situation. As far as politics go he's probably one of the most active characters in the show right now, even if nobody gives a damn about Meereen. He's not asking where whores go, but the fact that he's a drunk actually says something about his character. And his line about punching in the face came right after one of his best dialogues in the show.

How does that address my point about his character development?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Why were only 4 people executed when they made a point of it to show 6 men stabbing Jon?
Real answer: they only bothered to show the executions of the named characters

Possible in-universe answer: they only executed the higher-ups (and Olly) because they couldn't afford to kill off 1/5th of the remaining Watch. As for Olly, perhaps off-screen they had the other conspirators repent and only Olly refused. Which would fit how Olly acted at his execution.

Other possible answer: the two who died when the Wildlings attacked just happened to be the other two mutineers who stabbed Jon. Which could make some amount of sense: the other two who tried fighting the Wildlings were Olly and Thorne and if you hate Wildlings enough to killed your Lord Commander, you probably hate them enough to attack them when you are outnumbered.

Best answer: Olly took 3 turns at stabbing Jon. Fucking Olly.

They don't imprison just because of political strategy lol it makes no sense to not imprison Jaime when even the common people joke about his incest with Cersei.
Looks like The High Sparrow has you fooled as well :p

I think the Faith is definitely fighting for power as much as the next faction, which of course mimics religions holding significant political power in medieval times.
...he is? I thought that was Varys? Tyrion freed the dragons and has done nothing else so far this season besides make dick jokes (btw the writers really love dick jokes holy shit).
Yes, he implied as much when they learned what they were up against in the last episode. Grey Worm immediately concluded that they need to assault the other cities in Slavers Bay, Tyrion cautioned that there may be other ways.

I can't believe how poorly they've handled Jaime on the show. He's regressed so much as a character that he's practically back to being the same guy from season one, minus a hand.

It's strange how they've handled him. I almost wonder if the original plan was to send him to Riverrun, but then that fumbled rape scene happened and D&D panicked and wanted to make sure we saw he and Cersei still dug each other?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Yes, he implied as much when they learned what they were up against in the last episode. Grey Worm immediately concluded that they need to assault the other cities in Slavers Bay, Tyrion cautioned that there may be other ways.

Tyrion briefly reacted to the news that Varys brought him (since Varys has done all the leg work thus far), but the rest of his time in the episode was spent drinking wine and making jokey attempts at talking to Grey Worm and Missandei, which wasn't interesting in the least. He needs to take a more active role in things, ala when he was Hand of the King in season 2. I mean, he is the one ruling in Dany's stead - why couldn't it have been he who interrogated the Son of the Harpy prostitute?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I don't get upset at the dick jokes because if it wasn't for them we wouldn't have TriPod.

5ydWKjL.jpg

Wvrs

I always thought it more along the lines of: "Rhaegar is dead; his only heir is in that tower, and the Kingsguard are sworn to protect the line of the king. The Rebellion under Robert has been ruthlessly murdering all Targaryens; no reason to suspect that the same won't happen to Jon, even if Ned is his uncle."

Makes more sense than a suicide mission in vain, and adds weight to Ned's decision to name the boy his own and take him in.

dabig2

Jaime's arc is probably the worst handled one on the show now since Stannis is dead - hell, at least Stannis had an arc on the show even though many hated it. But Jaime is nothing more than Cersei's shadow, except her shadow is probably more independent and shows more agency than he does. He's been in stasis since getting back to King's Landing way back when. The show desperately needs to separate him from Cersei and send him off to the Riverlands and by god let him grow and mature as a character like he did in the books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom