• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can any of the people who defend everything the show does defend this? How can Jaime either not know or care?

Someone get Eagan.

I've defended a fair share of book changes by D&D but not everything. I think their handling of Jaime's arc has been extremely disappointing. The only thing that makes me think Jaime doesn't know however is that last episode he asked "Has the faith brought fourth official charges?" Or something along those lines. And Cersei answers no. Through D&D's eyes, that might be a subtle hint that Jaime doesn't yet know on the show.

Book Jaime: "Wow, I don't actually give a shit about my kids. Also wow Cersei is actually really awful."

Show Jaime: "My kids and Cersei are the most important things in my life."

:(

I also just realized that Sansa will probably be "rewarded" for her 5 seasons of suffering by being Queen of the North rather than growing into the role like it looks like she will in the books.

:(

Henkka

Banned
I'm pretty sad we didn't get this in the show:

You poor stupid blind crippled fool . . . I am the monster they all say I am. Yes, I killed your vile son.” He made himself grin. It must have been a hideous site to see, there in the torchlight gloom.

That's maybe my main problem with the show. They make it even more brutal and violent with unnecessary deaths, but lack the cojones to pull off the real, emotionally gutwrenching moments.

Sheroking

That's maybe my main problem with the show. They make it even more brutal and violent with unnecessary deaths, but lack the cojones to pull off the real, emotionally gutwrenching moments.

I don't think a lack of "cojones" is what prevented that scene from happening.

In order to execute it, you needed to keep the story of Tyrion's first wife fresh in viewers minds AND find a way to not convolute a 5 minute sequence of film.

Henkka

Banned

In order to execute it, you needed to keep the story of Tyrion's first wife fresh in viewers minds AND find a way to not convolute a 5 minute sequence of film.

I dunno, I think they totally had space to remind people of Tyrion's wife. IIRC, there's a specific scene of Jaime visiting Tyrion in his cell where I thought "If they're going to do it, this would be a perfect time to remind everyone". But they didn't.

dabig2

Book Jaime: "Wow, I don't actually give a shit about my kids. Also wow Cersei is actually really awful."

Show Jaime: "My kids and Cersei are the most important things in my life."

Well, the show has made Cersei a little more sympathetic by toning down her sociopathy, vileness, and sexual favors offered. Meanwhile, Jaime stumbles himself through multiple seasons as Cersei's worse, clearly dumber half and fails to protect 2 of their royal children ,despite being directly there at the times of their deaths as an official Kingsguard. Pretty sure that Ser Gramps is laughing his ass off somewhere up there in show heaven.

Chase17

I would have liked to see it too. Although they kind of transform it into the trial scene.

Anyways, I've been wondering if the show hinted at Rickon having Bran like abilities in case Bran's actor didn't turn out well or something. Can't remember if it was in the books or not. Though I suppose the show doesn't fear outright recasting characters so that doesn't make much sense. I'm still holding out hope for a Shaggydog twist for some reason.

Lothar

Banned

How's about instead of a stupid fucking pointless waste of time scene of Tyrion talking about beetles, it could have been him talking about Tysha. It's not that difficult.

emag

How's about instead of a stupid fucking pointless waste of time scene of Tyrion talking about beetles, it could have been him talking about Tysha. It's not that difficult.

500x1000px-LL-4d8bd848_nqsaM3H.jpeg

I felt the same way when they cut out half of the Tower of Joy dialogue to make room for the stupid scene with Tyrion, Missandei and Grey Worm.

Henkka

Banned

Oh, yeah, that was exactly the scene I was thinking about.

Everything they're doing with Jaime is odd. It's almost like they didn't realize by not having that scene, they completely diverge from Jaime's arc in the books and didn't know what to replace it with.

I dunno about D&D, but I think Jaime growing distant from Cersei would've made for some damn good television. Him reading that letter and throwing it into the fire... So good. So it's a shame they didn't go that route.

They remind viewers of old stuff every episode. This would have been one of the easiest ever.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So, anyone think Jamie isn't the worst adapted character from the book version. I'd say Stannis is a solid #2, but Jamie doing nothing for a few seasons just seems to make him a firm #1.

Euron

Predictions for tonight's episode:

1. The plot actually moves forward in King's Landing
2. Jon and Salsa don't meet
3. Dany's plot barely goes anywhere
4. Euron recites more book lines
5. Littlefinger puts a new spin on accents from previous seasons
6. No further signs of CleganeBowl atm
7. Ramsay does ridiculous thing (but no raping)

Gigglepoo

So, anyone think Jamie isn't the worst adapted character from the book version. I'd say Stannis is a solid #2, but Jamie doing nothing for a few seasons just seems to make him a firm #1.

Tyrion has been doing the same shtick since S1, Selmy never went beyond being an "honorable" knight, and Doran was a feeble moron. They also made Robb even dumber than Ned and turned Littlefinger into an idiot.

kirblar

They flipped Tysha and Shae's roles in the TV show.

In the book, Tysha is real, Shae is fake.

In the show, Shae is real, Tysha is fake.

kirblar

Wut? She was still in Tywin's bed.
But the context was changed completely.

In the books, she's just leaving Tyrion in the dust as she moves up the ladder and seling him out because it benefits her.

In the show, she's doing it because she's been put in an awful position and is desperate to survive.

Book Shae is a golddigger. Show Shae legitimately loves Tyrion.

jmelons

Kevan & Pycelle

They can't kill Pycelle. Now that Dolorous Edd has gone from comedic foil to lord commander, the show needs Pycelle and his high pitched farts to provide a bit of comedic relief.

My money is on that Alice Cooper looking Khaleesi that's keeping Danny prisoner.

Faddy

Banned

Is Stannis bad because it is a bad characterisation or is it bad because it isn't faithful to the books? I personally thought Stephen Dillane did a fantastic job portraying Stannis and his actions were completely in character in the context of the show.

There are plenty characters that are different which is neither inherently bad or good just different. Margaery, Tyrion, Cersei are all different and imo better.

Jaime is a strange one because when I read what people think of him after ASoS I think I read a completely different character. He isn't on some noble journey in the Riverlands, he left the capital to avoid Cersei and is in a deep depression about her infidelity with "Lancel and Osmund Kettleblack and probably Moon Boy for all I know" which he repeats as frequently as Tyrion does with his "whereever whores go". He never thinks about Tommen. He is such an uncaring prick that I find it hard feel anything for his story, there is no redemption. He has abandoned his King and son and the duty and honour that goes along with it. I don't want to see that character on the show just like I didn't want to see depressed Tyrion. It is wallowing in their misfortune because of their family's dishonesty when any reasonable person already knew the Lannister family had shit for honour.

So yes Jaime is different from the books but I'm not missing his book character. His character on the show does need some growth, he is a little too happy go lucky for someone whose father and two children have died recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom