• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

mantidor

Looks like The High Sparrow has you fooled as well :p

I think the Faith is definitely fighting for power as much as the next faction, which of course mimics religions holding significant political power in medieval times.

Of coure they are, thats not what I'm saying.

Someone as obviously guilty as Jaime shouldn't be walking around, but the faith threaten him with force instead of imprisonment because of plot convenience I guess.

Not to mention Jaime being imprisoned gives them also political advantage.

And BTW your avatar makes me sad D:

I can't believe how poorly they've handled Jaime on the show. He's regressed so much as a character that he's practically back to being the same guy from season one, minus a hand.

I agree. It is probably my biggest disappointment with the show. His arc in the books was so greatly written. And Nicolaj did an outstanding job as Jaime through the first 3 seasons. He really is perfect for the role. The 4th season wasnt too bad either. You could see him actively rooting for Tyrion and standing up to Tywin. And then from there they completely biffed it.

The sad thing with Bran is it's clear the showrunners have decided to cocktease the ToJ until episode 9 at least. Treeman basically says as much.

Bran is the show's audience, saying "I want to see more!"
Tree guy is the showrunners, saying "No" without giving any real reason.

Oh, and yeah, Bran's storyline has always been uninteresting.

Nope.

Tyrion briefly reacted to the news that Varys brought him (since Varys has done all the leg work thus far), but the rest of his time in the episode was spent drinking wine and making jokey attempts at talking to Grey Worm and Missandei, which wasn't interesting in the least. He needs to take a more active role in things, ala when he was Hand of the King in season 2. I mean, he is the one ruling in Dany's stead - why couldn't it have been he who interrogated the Son of the Harpy prostitute?

Oh, I agree. Just saying the element was there.
And BTW your avatar makes me sad D:

At least he's still alive!

Gigglepoo

Tyrion ruling Meereen is a retread of when he was Hand of the King in Season 2.

Selmy ruling Meereen shows how far he's come from knightly honor and how tenuous the line between right and wrong can be.

Both can be fun and interesting but you can see that Martin really cares about character growth and contrasts (Selmy becomes there soiled knight he accused Jamie of being) whereas D&D don't care much about underlying themes or greater meaning.

Switching the roles of characters only works if your highest goal is tits and dragons. It's hard to make a poignant story if you're alright with stunting character's growth or recycling story arcs.

My big problem with show Jaime is we never actually got to see him do anything before the chop.

They could have given him at least one scene cutting down 10 people by himself. It would have been wacky and over the top, but they have given like 5 other people since similar moments and as it stands he just looks like he was always a wimp.

Forkball

Jaime's arc is probably the worst handled one on the show now since Stannis is dead - hell, at least Stannis had an arc on the show even though many hated it. But Jaime is nothing more than Cersei's shadow, except her shadow is probably more independent and shows more agency than he does. He's been in stasis since getting back to King's Landing way back when. The show desperately needs to separate him from Cersei and send him off to the Riverlands and by god let him grow and mature as a character like he did in the books.

Him doing absolutely NOTHING in Dorne for a whole season is by far the show's biggest folly. You could definitely argue that Jaime's Riverlands storyline wasn't paced very well or had too many ancillary characters, but you get a clear sense of how Jaime has developed and understand his motivations. I would have liked to have seen more scenes with Jaime trying to lead the Kingsguard, and then taking Bronn to the Riverlands over last year's Dorne story. I do admit that Jaime being in King's Landing and being at odds with the Faith is interesting (I loved the scene between High Sparrow and him) but the road we had to take to get here wasn't worth it and the Jaime/Brienne/Stonehard climax is even more intriguing.

Speevy

Banned
Jaime seems pissed off that his sister was shamed, but not that she cheated on him with Lancel. Is this not an issue for him?

Turin

Banned
At this point I wouldn't be surprised if D&D just had Jaime shrug it off.

Tyrion briefly reacted to the news that Varys brought him (since Varys has done all the leg work thus far), but the rest of his time in the episode was spent drinking wine and making jokey attempts at talking to Grey Worm and Missandei, which wasn't interesting in the least. He needs to take a more active role in things, ala when he was Hand of the King in season 2. I mean, he is the one ruling in Dany's stead - why couldn't it have been he who interrogated the Son of the Harpy prostitute?

Well, I was quite pleased with getting to see Varys carry a scene by himself. Tyrion will get to shine more in the future because he's Tyrion.

Edit: +1 on liking the Bran chapters.

Speevy

Banned
I just thought that he would already know, given that it's the condition under which Cersei was made to make her walk of atonement. I guess I'm expecting too much.

mantidor

Aren't Cersei's charges kind of public? The sparrow mentioned them when he stripped her, how can possibly Jaime not know?

Edit: lol ^^^ exactly that

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I don't get upset at the dick jokes because if it wasn't for them we wouldn't have TriPod.

TriPod is one of the show's worst creations. Ugh.

i miss jojen :(

tUofvW1.gif

mantidor

Oh come on. Of course he knows it's a power grab that doesn't exclude at all the actual need to know what Cersei is being charged with.

Anyway from trailers
it appears he goes to the Riverlands basically because Cersei tells him to, "you should take your place as the leader of our armies" or something like that.

TriPod is one of the show's worst creations. Ugh.

I think the worst part is how people are assuming he has a big penis when the show only said he is very good at sex, it's actually quite telling.

Speevy

Banned
I'm thinking in episode 10, Tyrion makes his 10th consecutive joke about someone's penis and just breaks down into tears. He just can't do it anymore. He leaves Meereen and is never seen or heard from again.

Will we ever see Arya's wolf again?

This season most likely yes.

Oh come on. Of course he knows it's a power grab that doesn't exclude at all the actual need to know what Cersei is being charged with.

Anyway from trailers
it appears he goes to the Riverlands basically because Cersei tells him to, "you should take your place as the leader of our armies" or something like that.

Which is precisely why that won't be the reason Jamie goes to Riverlands.

Looks like this week's episode will be the first of the season that doesn't have a summary leaked online before hand. Looking forward to seeing what's in store.

Cigol

And just think, the show's made it more interesting.
I don't think that's fair, the books haven't gotten to his stuff properly yet. If anything the foreshadowing and grounding of the books is more satisfying and rewarding in the long run.

What happened to Tyrion's character development? He's drinking more than ever, and his wit and confidence has disappeared. Now he's asking Vary's to punch him in the face if he gets another stupid idea. This was the same guy who talked his way out of getting killed in a show where people die like flies.
In the books after escaping King's Landing he's pretty downtrodden and at his lowest ebb - it might be they are trying to shoehorn some of that in out of sync.

NeoGiff

I'm kinda hyped for Riverlands. Gimme dem Tullys and Freys.

I also hope we will see Smalljon again. Best new character in a long while.

Something something not kissing your fucking hand you cunt fucking goat fucker.

I'll pass.

I'm under the impression that they're trying to replicate the impact the Greatjon had with his brash and boisterous persona, but since the style of dialogue has changed and become a lot more modern since season 1, the only way D&D can think of doing that is to make Smalljon swear a lot.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
i miss jojen :(

Me too. His entrance on the show was so freaking cool, so mysterious, and I like the actor. He was great in that Doctor Who two-parter (the one where the Doctor becomes a human).

This, however, is one of the worst exits. I know Jojen is supposed to be unable to move at that point, but the way the scene is shot makes it look like a) the undead done is just casually sticking a pen in playdough, 2) Jojen just noticed a spider on his belly. Looks so bad, not to mention nobody wants to see a cool character go out in such an anticlimactic, fashion.

HAWDOKEN

I'm thinking in episode 10, Tyrion makes his 10th consecutive joke about someone's penis and just breaks down into tears. He just can't do it anymore. He leaves Meereen and is never seen or heard from again.

This made me laugh.

Also, I'm still hoping that we get the Aegon storyline in some form or fashion.

Apt101

Could Jojen even feel pain in that region? Like how paralyzed was he in the show? I haven't watched that season since it came out on bluray, I forget.

Lothar

Banned
Jaime seems pissed off that his sister was shamed, but not that she cheated on him with Lancel. Is this not an issue for him?

Can any of the people who defend everything the show does defend this? How can Jaime either not know or care?

Someone get Eagan.

studyguy

Did they just leave jojen's body out there or what? I forget. They did right? Out there with the Evil Dead tier goofy skeletons?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom