• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turin

Banned
Well, it could just be that Davos (and co.) will go to Mormonts as we have seen in the trailer and Sansa/Jon will go to Manderlys if they decide to split. If not then it would make sense to go to Mormonts first since it's much closer to the wall and much faster to travel with a ship. But then again this is the show with Littlefinger teleporting all over the place so who knows.

True. Technically they shouldn't really be able to get to White Harbor but Littlefinger can teach them instant transmission.

Brienne will use it to get to Riverrun.

Kickz

So I guess season 5 was them going slowly to let George catch up and now they're like screw and going petal to the metal.

That Sansa and Jon reunion.

That and the return of Little Finger had me cheering, its to bad a majority of the ep was wasted on boring Mereen/Dany nonsense

Turin

Banned
I'm indifferent to the Dany stuff at this point.

Well they can get to White Harbor with a ship, Davos is a smuggler after all!

I don't think they're taking all the wildlings down there. Maybe Davos will go to White Harbor himself like in the books.

I think they'll all visit the Mormonts though.

HvySky

The Dothraki should really think twice about drenching their ancient temples in flammable oils. You never know when someone's going to accidentally tip over a lamp.

I mean, great, in the show she can't be burned. Fine. But how many Khals were in that room? Maybe 10 or so? Fair enough, she tipped over a brazier but why didn't any of those dudes just run over and body slam her or attack her? Instead these guys, the biggest warriors of the Dothraki, just run around like some chickens with their heads cut off and wait for some girl to tip over some lamps at them?

Dany is just right up there with Ramsay as being my least favorite character in the show right now just because they're both so one note and loaded up with Plot Armor. Ever since Season 1, Dany has barely taken any losses. Even the stuff with Meereen, where she faces some adversity, she gets out basically unscathed and same again now that she brings the Dothraki to their knees by tipping over some lamps. It doesn't help that I just can't find Dany to be a very likeable character at all either. She's basically undergone zero character development the last handful of seasons. She just acts imperious and smug to everyone while reciting her titles and how awesome she is because she has dragons or flame retardant skin as a magical get out of jail free card.

If you rewatch the scene you'll notice that the khal who captured her and a few others move in towards her before she throws the second lamp down. But by the time the second lamp goes down she's standing in the flames and they're fucked without weapons due to their religious laws. I don't know if you've been near an intense fire or not but the heat alone coming off flames like that just burns the fuck out of your lungs. You physically can't do anything but try to get away from it.

And I'm not sure why some others are complainimg that her coup was poor planned. Dany's gambled before. She gambled by giving Drogon away in Astapor and it paid off. And she did the same thing here. I mean, I guess people can continue to complain about plot armor but the saga is called "A Song of Ice and Fire", if you're complainimg about plot threads related to Dany or Jon Snow you bought a ticket to the wrong show.

thefro

Jon & Sansa reuniting was great after so many teases of the Starks just missing each other. Nice story arc considering they really disliked each other growing up but now appreciate family given they've matured after all they've went through.

The early books and seasons were great in part because they set up so many genuinely likeable and unlikable characters that ended up suffering fates that you didn't see coming and yet the story kept moving on without them. At least in the show, I feel its getting really predictable with certain characters like Ramsay being destined to have a showdown with Jon Snow and Dany not going to be touched until she faces the Others. Maybe I'll be wrong there but I just get the impression the show is going to sort of play it straight with a lot of these plots down the stretch now that they don't have the books as a detailed road map.

Unless Martin ends up writing 4-5 more books, he's going to have to play it fairly straight too.

sadblob

Well, my thoughts:

- Sansa and Jon was nice to see, bastardbowl confirmed
- Never been very fond of the Vale, but I'm up for anything that sets things in motion
- I liked the Tyrion stuff. Yeah you can argue about the unfairness of the situation for the slaves, but I saw it as a realpolitik move that seemed reasonable
- I thought Dany was going to be boring as usual, glad to be proved wrong (what happened to never naked again?)
- Obviously my opinion, but I hate the High Sparrow's daily sermon
- Looks like shit is about to go down in King's Landing
- Thank god they showed Ramsay being evil, I almost forgot he was
- No Tower of Joy :(

uncblue

IMO, they should have ended the episode as soon as the dothraki kneeled. The scene went on far too long and became more ridiculous by the second.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
I've seen a lot of people say that. What was so dumb about it?

I dig callbacks, but as the moment happened I felt incredulous. Busy watching Silicon Valley and Veep, so haven't really had time to think about it, but I think the problem is that the moment doesn't particularly seems earned. It's a hastily put together plan that just works.

Apt101

Fire evokes our lizard brains to escape. Not to mention the fact they were probably witnessing the first supernatural being they'd ever encountered and were terrified.

megalowho

Great episode, whole season has been great. Some really potent scenes - Sansa and Jon, Cersei and Tommen, Tyrion and the slavers, Theon and Yara, the return of Littlefinger.

Ending worked for me, even as a callback it was a gangster power move and Dany's path is slowly coming back into focus.

The Dothraki should really think twice about drenching their ancient temples in flammable oils. You never know when someone's going to accidentally tip over a lamp.

Pretty sure the shot of Daario and Jorah standing in shadows and smiling knowingly was supposed to show that they doused the temple with oil or something before the meeting. How none of the khals managed to notice oil all over the place is another question, but at least they tried.

Pretty sure the shot of Daario and Jorah standing in shadows and smiling knowingly was supposed to show that they doused the temple with oil or something before the meeting. How none of the khals managed to notice oil all over the place is another question, but at least they tried.

Honesty I'm just glad we didn't spend another 4 episodes doing the Jorah and Dario rescue show. The scene wasn't perfect but it quickly moves Dany where she needs to go and I will happily embrace anything that moves her arc along. I'm happy with what they did.

Dysun

Aside from the terrible Dorne stuff in episode 1, and minor nitpicks I'm really liking this season.

Color me shocked so far

MisterR

The oil came from the lamps she tipped over. The building was made of fucking wood and straw. Not a reach for it to quickly go up in flames.

HvySky

The scene itself was pretty silly, but at this point I honestly don't give a fuck. As long as it means Dany starts moving towards her goals and her story isn't stagnating for an entire season, I'm game.

Sick and fucking tired of Ramsay and D & D need to have him kill lots of people with no or little consequence. I mean did they really have to kill her? Jesus.

Jon seeing and hugging Sansa was very nice.

Great episode though, way better then the last three. Excluding jon snows rerect.

Well, my thoughts:

- Sansa and Jon was nice to see, bastardbowl confirmed
- Never been very fond of the Vale, but I'm up for anything that sets things in motion
- I liked the Tyrion stuff. Yeah you can argue about the unfairness of the situation for the slaves, but I saw it as a realpolitik move that seemed reasonable
- I thought Dany was going to be boring as usual, glad to be proved wrong (what happened to never naked again?)
- Obviously my opinion, but I hate the High Sparrow's daily sermon
- Looks like shit is about to go down in King's Landing
- Thank god they showed Ramsay being evil, I almost forgot he was
- No Tower of Joy :(
It looked like they did to her what they did to Cersei last season.

jdstorm

Banned
So is Littlefinger going to try to marry the Arryn kid to Sansa in exchange for helping her defeat the Boltons? In fact, I bet it's Littlefinger who handed over Rickon in the first place.

Sansa and Robin are first cousins so that's probably out. Considering that and that Ned Stark grew up in the vale. I doubt the lords of the vale would need much encouragement to fight Ramsey for Sansa. Remember Robin and Sansa bonded when she was alayne. If he found out who she was he'd be more then happy to help.

Also technically Sansa might have a claim to casterly rock as Tyrions wife.

jett

D-Member
Hey, we got a repeat of the end of the first book LOL. D&D truly have no ideas left. And what the hell is wrong with them? Fucking hacks, doing Osha like that. I've had enough of their obsession with their garbage-tier versions of the High Sparrow and Ramsay.

I'm hoping that ending was part of some sort of con but knowing the show they're probably going to double down on that "fire immunity" that she's not supposed to have outside the pyre event.

Gigglepoo

I'm hoping that ending was part of some sort of con but knowing the show they're probably going to double down on that "fire immunity" that she's not supposed to have outside the pyre event.

That's fine. Supernatural stuff happens all the time. Why can't she be fireproof?

I feel that now we're "off book" people feel even more emboldened to complain about the show as if it's fact that the books are better than the show. The reality is, they are two different mediums and moreso, several people have read the books and created this visual and audio reality in their minds for what it should be like. Funnily enough, that reality is wholly different depending on the person. So essentially, no matter what direction the show takes, at some point(s) it won't live up to the expectations of someone. I believe at this point we should keep that in mind when watching the show and actually immerse ourselves in it rather than being critical observers.

Anyways, I've found every episode this feels very short. That's usually the case when a show is very good and keeps you wanting more. We are almost halfway done though and it seems like there are so many plots moving full steam ahead thatIm curious how it will ultimately play out. Favorite moments from tonight's episode were the Jon and Sansa reunion, Dany from the flames part dues, Tormund being a creeper with Brienne.

Regarding the mereen stuff, for some reason it seems like Missandei is going to do something stupid and screw everything up. We shall see.

Not nitpicking about the show or anything but just hoping for some clarification of sorts.

So, if I remember in the books, Dany did actually get burnt by Drogon in the Meereen fighting pits after he came and messed everything up. And George also confirmed in an interview that she wasn't immune to fire right? Just wanted to make sure I was remembering correctly and that that was all clearly changed for the show.

Also, didn't Emilia Clarke make a big deal about not wanting to be nude on the show anymore? So if so, was that a body double / CGI version of her for the end? Just like they did for Cerseis walk?

no, that's just a popular internet rumour

Gigglepoo

The One and Done™;203772036 said:
Regarding the mereen stuff, for some reason it seems like Missandei is going to do something stupid and screw everything up. We shall see.

Either A) She's really into a eunic with no personally or B) She's running the Sons of the Harpy

suzu

One time magical event haaaaaah. I'm ok with it, because we didn't have to watch Daario & Jorah waste their time or have Drogon swoop in again.

They need to speed up the High Sparrow stuff a bit. zzz

Ramsay killing off yet another person. Shocker. At least Osha tried I guess. :/

Bastardbowl though.. get hype! Also, Tormund is bae.

Atlantis

What is the point of bringing back Natalie Tena for about a minute of screentime in two episodes? They should have just had Umber mention in the Rickon reveal that they had killed his wildling protector. Ramsay is so fucking stale.

Liked the episode a lot though, Sansa glo'd up.

Kickz

Hey, we got a repeat of the end of the first book LOL. D&D truly have no ideas left. And what the hell is wrong with them? Fucking hacks, doing Osha like that. I've had enough of their obsession with their garbage-tier versions of the High Sparrow and Ramsay.

I hated how they did the nude fire Dany thing again, just shut up and move on let the guys rescue you. Bored of the need to save every city I walk through

jett

D-Member
Wow massive spoilers, I think they fucked up with the thumbnail of their preview on HBO Now: (EDIT: to reiterate, this seems like a massive spoiler so do not click if you're avoiding them)

That's right, multiple Children and they're not beyond the Wall, clearly. This is either a flashback or possibly takes place on that island with all the trees.

I find their new design to be really over the top and just plain ugly to be honest. They don't even look like children anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom