• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I find their new design to be really over the top and just plain ugly to be honest. They don't even look like children anymore.

(spoiler pic talk)
The new Children of the Forest designs are really bad - they look like plant creatures created by Poison Ivy with which to harass Batman with or something.

Eidan

Man, another great episode. This show is becoming so much better now that it's free of the shackles of the source material.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Hey, we got a repeat of the end of the first book LOL. D&D truly have no ideas left. And what the hell is wrong with them? Fucking hacks, doing Osha like that. I've had enough of their obsession with their garbage-tier versions of the High Sparrow and Ramsay.

I really like the High Sparrow. Guy is amazingly chill and calculating and I want more than ever for the Howland Reed theory to be true.

jett

D-Member
Death ain't no thing to Jon. He's the exact same character.

I really like the High Sparrow. Guy is amazingly chill and calculating and I want more than ever for the Howland Reed theory to be true.

Maybe in the books, but there's no way that is happening here.

Regarding the Children of the forest redesign from earlier this season, I like it much more than the one from prior seasons. That one looked like a kid in a Halloween costume. The design this season is better though I think they could have been more subtle with the makeup. Also, I know they're called "Children" of the forest but that doesn't mean they are actually children. From how it reads in the book they are just smaller humans but not dwarfs. So normal proportions just small kinda like hobbits sans the grande feet.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The show takes so many shortcuts. I'm glad they're taking the time to establish who he is and what he wants. I'm proud of their patience.

And have her be a damsel again?

He gives the same speech every single week and has for a couple seasons now

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
  • had to stop this episode 9 times to take in the hype
  • Jon and Sansa reunion is so cathartic after all these years. It took over 40 episodes for two of these fuckers to find each other again
  • I like Sansa apologizing for being a terrible person in season 1
  • and finally, Sansa and Jon dialogue!
  • Brienne is a fucking baller, straight up telling Davos and Mel about how she off'd Stannis
  • also, I told everyone that Davos was in denial and didn't actually know what happened to Stannis. Should be interesting when he finds out about Shireen
  • Jon's broken and needs to be built back up
  • Tyrion bringing some good pragmatic politicaling to Dany's "My way or the highway" style of governing
  • Cersei has a plan? Welp, they are all fucked. She's just playing into the High Sparrow's hands here
  • Damn, Loras got Theon'd
  • Speaking of Theon, I hope he doesn't spend the season on the Greyjoy plot. After the Kingsmoot, I'm not sure what purpose he serves going to see Dany
  • The bastard letter was great. Could've used a mention of Reek, but otherwise great
  • Tormond eyefucking Brienne is amazing and hilarious. She's clearly not used to the attention
  • Decisive Sansa is great. Hope she tells Littlefinger what for
  • So Osha was the obligatory death. RIP
  • Dammit, Daario survived another episode
  • Not a lot of death for an episode called "Book of the Stranger". Only Osha and some generic dothraki
  • Not sure why it was called "Book of the Stranger" either since it only referenced that one title drop. Unless I missed something
  • I actually liked how Dany took control of the Dothraki. Dany abusing her fire immunity and the dothraki's superstition was really smart and her smug ass smile during it was great. How else was she going to got out of there? I wouldn't be surprised if that was actually a book plotline as "how Dany took over the Dothraki again" sounds like something GRRM would have told HBO before season 1.
Overall, a great episode. Season 6 is blowing Season 5 out of the water.

Ri'Orius

I must have missed this?

Dude was pretty shook when Sansa was trying to convince him to go take back Winterfell. He's seen a lot of shit, and it looked like his death at the hands of those he was trying to protect was enough to break the camel's back. If Sansa hadn't shown up when she did, I think Jon would've just gone off to be a normal person and find a farm to work at or something.

I'm hoping that ending was part of some sort of con but knowing the show they're probably going to double down on that "fire immunity" that she's not supposed to have outside the pyre event.
They established that isn't wasn't only the pyre event in the show in season 1, multiple times. (That's different from the book per George's comments)
That would have been much better, but nope, they go full stupid like they often do.

Dany solving her predicament by her own agency is "full stupid" compared to being saved by a dragon and/or Jorah/Daario find a way to smuggle her out?

For the record, I didn't love it (not sure what could have gotten me interested in Dany being captive of the Dothraki in season 6, Winds will at least initially receive the same doubt from me), but it was a pleasant surprise from what I assumed, and I think most people assumed was going to happen: Dothraki submit to the power of a dragon, bailing Dany out.

• had to stop this episode 9 times to take in the hype
  • Jon and Sansa reunion is so cathartic after all these years. It took over 40 episodes for two of these fuckers to find each other again
  • I like Sansa apologizing for being a terrible person in season 1
  • and finally, Sansa and Jon dialogue!
  • Brienne is a fucking baller, straight up telling Davos and Mel about how she off'd Stannis
  • also, I told everyone that Davos was in denial and didn't actually know what happened to Stannis. Should be interesting when he finds out about Shireen
  • Jon's broken and needs to be built back up
  • Tyrion bringing some good pragmatic politicaling to Dany's "My way or the highway" style of governing
  • Cersei has a plan? Welp, they are all fucked. She's just playing into the High Sparrow's hands here
  • Damn, Loras got Theon'd
  • Speaking of Theon, I hope he doesn't spend the season on the Greyjoy plot. After the Kingsmoot, I'm not sure what purpose he serves going to see Dany
  • The bastard letter was great. Could've used a mention of Reek, but otherwise great
  • Tormond eyefucking Brienne is amazing and hilarious. She's clearly not used to the attention
  • Decisive Sansa is great. Hope she tells Littlefinger what for
  • So Osha was the obligatory death. RIP
  • Dammit, Daario survived another episode
  • Not a lot of death for an episode called "Book of the Stranger". Only Osha and some generic dothraki
  • Not sure why it was called "Book of the Stranger" either since it only referenced that one title drop. Unless I missed something
  • I actually liked how Dany took control of the Dothraki. Dany abusing her fire immunity and the dothraki's superstition was really smart and her smug ass smile during it was great. How else was she going to got out of there? I wouldn't be surprised if that was actually a book plotline as "how Dany took over the Dothraki again" sounds like something GRRM would have told HBO before season 1.
Overall, a great episode. Season 6 is blowing Season 5 out of the water.

The book of the stranger was the story the High sparrow told Margaery. Why it was titled that I have no idea though.

Werd

And what the hell is wrong with them? Fucking hacks, doing Osha like that.

What grand, intricate ending does book Osha deserve exactly?

It seemed pretty logical to me. She got betrayed, presumably taken by surprise with no chance to fight back. Eventually gets an opportunity to kill Ramsay and takes it, which fails for a legitimate reason calling back to her history and she is thus killed. She's a minor character the show had generally done justice to but was obviously finished with, and for all we know the books are too. I thought it was an efficient and fairly well executed end, even if not particularly satisfying.

mcfrank

This season is a lot better. Not being tied to the books is better for the show since the last two books have been so terrible.

Lothar

Banned
Dude was pretty shook when Sansa was trying to convince him to go take back Winterfell. He's seen a lot of shit, and it looked like his death at the hands of those he was trying to protect was enough to break the camel's back. If Sansa hadn't shown up when she did, I think Jon would've just gone off to be a normal person and find a farm to work at or something.

So he would have just let Ramsay keep Rickon? I can't see that.

I don't see why the Pink Letter was needed in this episode. Sansa convincing him should have been enough. The letter should have been last season.

Brakke

Banned
Lol poor Osha. And here's idiot me psyched to see her back.

Also so much for George's insistence that the fire immunity was a one time miracle. Dany The Unburnt No But For Real, more like. Was that a body-double? Something about that shot was uncanny to me.

It's fooking hilarious how enormous all the kids are now. Lil Boy Aryn flourishing even without breastmilk to nourish him....

ryseing

With how great this season has been so far (and presumably will be throughout), it's really hitting me in the face how boned HBO is in 2 years when this ends.

They need Westworld to hit. Drama side of the network has made a series of mind boggling decisions over the past few years. Scuttling the Fincher remake of Utopia over a couple of million dollars was stupid when you remember how much they spent on Vinyl.

I'm sure they're scouring the fantasy section at Barnes and Noble right now, looking for a replacement.

Kingkiller Chronicles would have been perfect but that got snapped up by Fox. Mistborn is my dream choice, but there isn't enough nudity in it for HBO.

B33

Banned
Lol poor Osha. And here's idiot me psyched to see her back.

Also so much for George's insistence that the fire immunity was a one time miracle. Dany The Unburnt No But For Real, more like. Was that a body-double? Something about that shot was uncanny to me.

It's fooking hilarious how enormous all the kids are now. Lil Boy Aryn flourishing even without breastmilk to nourish him....

No, they didn't use a body double.

It looks a bit strange because the fire is entirely CGI.

Edit: Basically, they shot Clarke nude on a closed set and composited that footage into another plate, which is likely why it looks a bit off.

Lmao i thought the episode was enjoyable until the end where it just got pretty awful

Also I gotta say this end game of Jon/sansa and daenerys gaining power isn't as interesting as I thought it would be

The series is going out with a whimper to me. The remaining villains such as ramsay and lannisters are not as threatening as they once were either. The whole thing just feels like it lost steam imo

Like i was waiting for the starks to reunite but now that it happened I'm like whatever

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Inside the episode:

• A major source of inspiration for Tyrion this episode is Abe Lincoln? Well I guess that's one way to take the character now that book stuff is used up
  • They totally foresaw people's complaints about the Dany stuff. I agree with their argument that its better to have Dany get out of it on her own, rather than having the Dragon swoop in and save her.
  • "Rebirth is clearly a theme this season, whether it's Jon Snow or Dany emerging from the fires". Man, they've really set it up to have a Lady Stoneheart figure show off the negative outcome of a rebirth this season... If they wanted to.

vaderise

Another great episode.
Here are my thoughts:

-Sansa and Jon reunion! Very emotional scenes. And i couldn't stop cheering to dialogue of the two.Amazing scenes.Sansa was really likeable when she apologized Jon for acting horrible before and convincing Jon to help her regain the North. I'm now preety sure that she will be one to name Jon Snow into Jon Stark.

-Brienne is so fucking boss.Loved that ''Deal with it'' moment with Davos and Mel. BTW Davos is probably my fav. character in the show right after Jon and Tyrion.Shit will go down when he finds out about Shireen.

-King's Landing Faith vs Lannisters stuff looked boring before IMO.But it starts to get interesting as Tyrells and Kevan is more involved.A civil war in King's Landing would make things VERY interesting before Dany's arrival.

-Mereen stuff with Tyrion is good. I kinda got bored with all these slaves vs free people thing for like past 2 seasons but with Tyrion is involved it's all good. Politics are always welcome especially with Tyrion and Varys.

-TBH Ramsay scenes are getting annoying.Okay we get it he's evil.I liked a lot better when villains we're less like villains and more like people with agendas.Ramsay is sometimes too comical but i don't hate him as a villain since show is doing a good job at turning him into ''next Joffrey''.But Joffrey was getting bossed by Tyrion and no one is bossing Ramsay so far :( . I thought it would be Asha. :(

-Can't say anything about Greyjoys yet.Storyline is just shaping up and we haven't seen anything remarkable yet but i'm sure we will.

-By the time Dany actually DID something! Her recruiting Dothraki will be a gamechanger. I actually felt something similar to what i felt about Dany in earlier seasons which is nothing close to season 3-5. Dothraki stuff was good too but i can't understand how that temple was in flames in just a couple of seconds.Is sand that flamable? She did nothing but dropping 3 lambs and all of a sudden huge fire.Anyone care to explain that scientefically or it's just Hollywood stuff?

Madouu

The episode was good overall, there was the reunion of course but I also really liked the events at Meereen showing how Tyrion has to tread very carefully. The way it was set up, I believe we are being prepared to see him fail at his first attempt at bringing peace to the city.

I did not like the last two scenes, the last one particularly was poorly executed. The Ramsay/Osha scene too, but I think at this point, we are used to seeing badass characters die in underwhelming fashion. I still got some hope that the whole capture of Rickon is more than just an excuse for Jon to regain his will to fight as they haven't explained how it happened exactly yet. My expectations remain low though.

Tired of seeing Jaime act as Cersei's lap dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom