• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
The book of the stranger was the story the High sparrow told Margaery. Why it was titled that I have no idea though.
Yeah, I noticed the title drop. I just don't get the importance of it for the episode as a whole.
Dothraki stuff was good too but i can't understand how that temple was in flames in just a couple of seconds.Is sand that flamable? She did nothing but dropping 3 lambs and all of a sudden huge fire.Anyone care to explain that scientefically or it's just Hollywood stuff?
It's a hut made of straw and wood, in the middle of a Desert/Savannah like climate, filled with oil lamps and only has one exit. The Dothraki need to institute fire marshalls into their culture.

Turin

Banned
He's in the top 3 of poorly translated characters (Doran, Stannis). Darn shame.

Besides not giving him a satisfactory fight scene, they did a great job with him in the first 3 seasons. D&D just haven't had a good idea of what to do with him since he got back to Kings Landing or how to write scenes between him and their smarter version of Cersei. So now he's just a vapid version of what he was in S1.

bachikarn

I could by wrong, but I don't think the Dothraki would be so impressed by her surviving the fire. Wouldn't they think she was a witch and just kill her?

Brakke

Banned
No, they didn't use a body double.

It looks a bit strange because the fire is entirely CGI.

Edit: Basically, they shot Clarke nude on a closed set and composited that footage into another plate, which is likely why it looks a bit off.

Ohhh that makes sense. That's for the inside scoop.

I could by wrong, but I don't think the Dothraki would be so impressed by her surviving the fire. Wouldn't they think she was a witch and just kill her?

Just like they killed her after she survived Drogo's pyre?

Svafnir

Another great episode.
-By the time Dany actually DID something! Her recruiting Dothraki will be a gamechanger. I actually felt something similar to what i felt about Dany in earlier seasons which is nothing close to season 3-5. Dothraki stuff was good too but i can't understand how that temple was in flames in just a couple of seconds.Is sand that flamable? She did nothing but dropping 3 lambs and all of a sudden huge fire.Anyone care to explain that scientefically or it's just Hollywood stuff?

The bottom of lamps contained oil.

I was so goddamn happy to see Jon and Sansa reunite. After all the crap they've been through it was really good to just see a guy give his little sister the biggest hug in the whole wide world.

RaidenZR

The show takes so many shortcuts. I'm glad they're taking the time to establish who he is and what he wants. I'm proud of their patience.

I hear you, and I love what Jonathan Pryce is doing when on-screen since he is a very engaging performer, but did this character need to get more screen time than Mance and Doran combined? Those guys were also great secondary characters played by great actors, and they were tragically short-changed. Short-changed so fucking hard. I mean, unless the High Sparrow factors into the long-term end game, i think we the audience would still be getting the point of his character with a little bit less.

Overall, I wish they had done a better job of distributing the secondary character material since the show started.

NimbusD

Man, another great episode. This show is becoming so much better now that it's free of the shackles of the source material.

Interesting. I think this is the first legitimately good episode where I actually was into almost every scene. Every other episode was just placing characters around and them doing stupid things with bad dialogue.

The bottom of lamps contained oil.

My thought was that the other khaleesi who said she'd help her, helped her make the place flammable beforehand? That was the same hut thing that all the widows stayed in right?

Tiktaalik

Wow that ending was epic. Glad that it wasn't just Drogon swooping in and saving the day.

Overall a great episode. I loved seeing Jon and Sansa reuniting. The North assembling under Sansa/Jon and backstabbing the Boltons will be exciting to see develop. It'll be interesting as well to see how the Vale factors into this. In the long term I expect to see Littlefinger die pathetically at the hand of some random Wight and I wasn't expecting it to happen until near the end of the series but maybe it'll happen soon if the Others advance.

Not sure what there is for Theon to do in Pyke. This part of the show is interesting because it's sort of half known from the books but clearly different.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Preview:

• I don't see Theon in the Kingsmoot scene. I wonder if he's just off-screen, coming in later or not participating
  • They only showed 5 locales/plotlines. Wonder what the other one will be. Sam?

Edzi

I thought that ending was terrible, but apparently most people here liked it? Huh.

Guess show Dany is confirmed fireproof though.

Amazing episode. It gave me the chills. Ramsay is an idiot and he had galvanized the wildlings against him. I am saddened by no Bran flashback this episode. The Vale + the Wildlings = bye Ramsay.

Hazmat

I would have bet good money that Jon and Sanda would have inconveniently just missed each other. I'm glad I was wrong. For all its faults, the show seems to have an interest in actually getting within sight of the ending which is sorely lacking in the books (hopefully not in TWoW, I haven't read any of the preview chapters). It's refreshing.

And poor Osha. Ramsay once again being invincible, perfect, and cruel was the only disappointment for me this episode.

ryseing

Besides not giving him a satisfactory fight scene, they did a great job with him in the first 3 seasons. D&D just haven't had a good idea of what to do with him since he got back to Kings Landing or how to write scenes between him and their smarter version of Cersei. So now he's just a vapid version of what he was in S1.

Yeah his character progression has definitely gone backwards. I blame the stupid rape scene.

Kozak

Banned
That last scene was great. I didn't expect it to take that turn and its nice to see Dany using her magic to her advantage,

Looks like Daario had a HUGE moment. Like he understands now why Jorah is willing to devote his entire life to her existence.

I wonder what that means for their relationship going forward.

Man that Osha death hit me :(

I was thinking "fuck ye here we go" but nope.

No, they didn't use a body double.

It looks a bit strange because the fire is entirely CGI.

Edit: Basically, they shot Clarke nude on a closed set and composited that footage into another plate, which is likely why it looks a bit off.

I had thought that Emilia Clarke signed a 'no more nudes' contract after s3?

Kuroyume

Banned
What a horrible episode. This show needs to not do anymore of these crowds on their knees bowing down to Dany while corny generic tribal music plays in the background scenes. ENOUGH OF THAT ALREADY Totally made me cringe.

And, that was a pretty awful scene even before the savior Dany worship. Like, who the fuck knew that the Khals were so fucking incompetent? I always thought these were hardened warriors, and while I get that they were locked in there to burn, I don't fucking see how she managed to have all that work so perfectly. Way too contrived.

Anyway, the good:

- Wall stuff. Nice scene where Jon and Sansa finally meet again. Brienne and Melisandre was pretty cool as well. Loved the letter scene at the end. Classic Ramsay.

- Kings Landing stuff... Good all around.

- Littlefinger... One of the best characters, lol

The wtf?:

Theon's scene with Asha. I loved the way Asha acted in that scene but Theon's response was fucking ridiculous.

The bad:

Osha getting killed like that. Way too fucking predictable. Oh, and so much for this being a guise for them to take control again. They were actually betrayed... Just horrible.

Anything having to with Dany... No surprise there.

Henkka

Banned
Pretty good episode. I liked Tyrion's scenes a lot.

I wonder how closely, if at all, Dany's plot follows TWOW at this point. I think GRRM established it pretty strongly that Targs aren't actually fireproof.

Dany should carry a pot of wildfire wherever she goes, if situation goes south she could do this:

tumblr_o34o80YQas1qmg3wpo1_500.gif

Brakke

Banned
When? What other scenes since the pyre have there been until now to establish this?

There were a couple. She took a bath in water so scalding her handmaiden warned her about it. Also doesn't she pull a dragon egg from a fire, where it's so hot someone else recoils from it? They've flirted with fire-immunity a couple times.

Nothing excplicit until now tho.

SteveWD40

Howland being the High Sparrow in the show is impossible, since we have seen he isn't much older than Ned at ToJ. JP is playing a man closer to Olena's age than Mace's.

old

My guess is that the High Sparrow set up Tommen. He knew the plans would be spilled. It's a trap.

My other guess is that, like arming the Faith Militant backfired on Cersei, inviting the whole Martell army into Kings Landing will backfire as well. I think there will be a coup. The Martells wait for Hgh Sparrow to be dealt with then kill Tommen, handing the kingdom to Margery, a Martell. They've already taken Kings Landing. Cersei invited their whole damn army right on in.

The books make it very clear. Cersei is a pawn not a player.

Brakke

Banned
Nobody has power as long as the Sparrows are around. If Martells wanna step up and sweep away the Lannisters, makes sense they'd do it while also solving the Sparrow problem.

edit: Ramsay is a "little lordling" since when...

Pkaz01

Least favorite episode so far, I could tell it would be from the preview though. I liked that it hit the fast forward button on Dany's store even though her storyline and the high sparrow speech took up half the episode alone.

Stuff at the wall was great though. I am guessing next week Jon will give appreciation to Davos and Mel for saving his ass

Saya

- Jaime is reduced to nothing... what a waste of a character and actor
- I didn't like the ending, but I'm glad the whole Dothraki comedy show is over so I don't have to endure any more of their terrible writing. The scene of people kneeling was a bit awkward, maybe because we have seen that so many times before. I almost expected them to chant Mhysa.
- The Wall stuff was great.
- Ramsay was predictable. Thought they killed Osha way too fast. She's a great actress and interesting character. Another waste.
- Please can someone kill the High Sparrow.

Stupid question, but why can't zombie mountain storm the sparrow keep or wherever they happen to be based and just kill every last one of them?

I just don't understand why they have this huge tank of killing machine standing right there and literally do nothing with him...

Svafnir

Stupid question, but why can't zombie mountain storm the sparrow keep or wherever they happen to be based and just kill every last one of them?

I just don't understand why they have this huge tank of killing machine standing right there and literally do nothing with him...

Yeah because he can destroy a small army single handheldly...

There were a couple. She took a bath in water so scalding her handmaiden warned her about it. Also doesn't she pull a dragon egg from a fire, where it's so hot someone else recoils from it? They've flirted with fire-immunity a couple times.

Nothing excplicit until now tho.

But she also did that before the pyre, a higher than normal tolerance or resistance to heat is a fairly established trait but it isn't the same as being immune to fire.

The danger of backfiring because the faith in the seven is a majority religion in Kings Landing and even the Targaryens had a difficult time surpressing them.

Yeah because he can destroy a small army single handheldly...

He's OP as hell though and I assume with him being undead, he can take an extraordinary amount of damage before he gets taken down. If he can even be taken down.

I mean, one swing of his sword and he could take down like four/five sparrows. I don't know, maybe I'm not factoring something into this...

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Tyrion's story was certainly better this week. More in line with the Hand of the King-esque stuff that I think people were expecting from his storyline before the season began. Too bad they wasted several of his earlier episodes this season on nothing.

Dany's stuff progressed too quickly to have any real impact but at least now it's over. I wonder how long it will take them to get back to Meereen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom