• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
(spoiler pic talk)
They look too unnatural - like they're alien plant people or something. I like their more bestial cat/deer design in the books a lot more.

Henkka

Banned
Anyone else think Jon's resurrection has been a little disappointing so far? I hoped it would be a big turning point for the character, but he's more sullen and unsure of himself than ever now.

Also, how did he explain to Sansa that he was just recently murdered and resurrected, haha

Anyone else think Jon's resurrection has been a little disappointing so far? I hoped it would be a big turning point for the character, but he's more sullen and unsure of himself than ever now.

Also, how did he explain to Sansa that he was just recently murdered and resurrected, haha

Considering all that Sansa's been through, I bet she just rolled her eyes and went "yeah okay, sure."

Just a fantastic episode all around. Benioff and Weiss have been killing it so far. This season gets better and better with every passing episode.

Just a fantastic episode all around. Benioff and Weiss have been killing it so far. This season gets better and better with every passing episode.

Yeah, definitely. It's been a steady climb upwards. Could end up being one of the best seasons of the show. This episode in particular feels like a kickstarter to several events that will take us all the way to this season's endgame and even beyond.

Nodnol

Solid episode.

I've long given up hoping for book Jaime, for everything to conform to the books. They're carving their own way through to the end, so I'll take it for what it's worth.

Everything this episode was pretty good, even the Dothraki stuff. Jon and Sansa seeing each other hit me in the feels, and everyone else was pretty much on song, IMO. I LOVED Tormund eyeing up Brienne. Brienund? Torienne? I never knew I wanted that, but I do now.

My only complaint was Osha's death; it was really harmed by the fact that she and Rickon have been MIA for so long. Ramsey was justified, in his own little world, to kill her, and her going for the knife reinforced the idea that he can't harm her.

It's another sign that they're trying to trim the fat for the home stretch, which is odd given that they think there's less episodes left compared to what HBO will want. They can't use every heartbeat, every character from the books, otherwise it would go on forever, but I do question the pacing of some things in a show that they're concerned about having enough material to cover the remaining seasons.

All the major characters, IMO, are in a believable place given the context of the show, irrespective of where they are in the books.

Speevy

Banned

I think it was a decent episode, but I don't equate killing characters with quality. Most of season 1's best scenes did not involve violence at all.

D and D are killing off 2 named characters per episode now and giving all the fanservice they can, but that doesn't mean it's outstanding writing.

Joni

That meeting between Sansa and Jon was so good. I hope they don't wait too long with him riding south, although hopefully the Vale troops will arrive first so Snow can ride in as the savior.

So in the show does Dany and thus now Tyrion rule the other slaver cities from Meereen?
No, they have rebelled and are back under slaver control.

I think it was a decent episode, but I don't equate killing characters with quality. Most of season 1's best scenes did not involve violence at all.

D and D are killing off 2 named characters per episode now and giving all the fanservice they can, but that doesn't mean it's outstanding writing.

I was never a book reader, so I don't have the same attachment to Osha as some of the others around here. It's not really the killing (Ramsey's scenes) that I have enjoyed. It's just the way the plot is in overdrive towards the endgame.

Things I loved:

-Sansa and Jon reuniting.
-Dany taking control of the Dothraki.
-Tyrion's diplomacy.
-Theon coming home, taking another step towards his redemption.
-Littlefinger rallying the armies of the Vale.

Basically the whole episode lol. The only part of the Ramsey scene I enjoyed was when he wiped the blood off his knife and proceeded to cut himself a piece of apple. That made me chuckle.

KahooTs

No, they have rebelled and are back under slaver control.
Right ... so Tyrion was offering them a seven year transition to end slavery in their own city, the city that they hold and rule. That was what he was giving them ... in exchange for them ending the insurgency in Meereen. Tyrion is the best negotiator in the world.

And this insurgency they're apparently pulling the strings of is the same insurgency that burned Dany's fleet. That's rather odd because having burned Dany's fleet makes it kind of hard for her to leave, which is apparently all they really want, hell he even mentions he tried giving her ships previously in the hope she'd leave but she refused.

Apt101

I must have missed this?

He didn't spell it out with blunt exposition, but he's clearly revealing that he is not the same man now. Meek. Finished with, or at best extremely reluctant towards fighting. Think back to last episode and the horror in his face as he watched the men hang, knowing where they're going. This is Jon but he is fundamentally different now.

I feel like they purposely wrote Jon this way so far to prop up Sansa's character development because they know how upset viewers were with them last year for victimizing her yet again. So they took a strong character, made him a tad weak for a moment and then finally developed Sansa to contrast it. Sansa's character certainly should be headed the way it is, and it should have started progressing last season. But I doubt that Jon was supposed to get insecure after his death if we're talking GRRM's mindset.

LifEndz

I'm sorta digging it. If I came back from the dead after being stabbed to death, the last thing I'd want to do is risk my life again. But Ramsay having Rickon forced his hand. Plus it's not like it's been over done like Arya getting beat by the waif.

Now I'm wondering what Northern houses he and Sansa could rally to their cause. It's obvious *preview spoilers*
that the Vale is going to help them.

The characters being killed off are not always the best moments of these episodes.

High Sparrow and Margaery/Tommen/Jaime over the past 4 episodes, Arya's montage last episode, Tyrion in Meereen in this episode, Asha and Theon - these were all fantastic moments that didn't rely on any kind of action at all.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Ok, that was a good episode. Wonder when that dragon scene happens as we've seen in the trailers. Drogon flying overhead. Waiting for that.

Some pretty interesting developments this week. I loved seeing Jon reunite with Sansa!

on the other end, Yara fucking sucks and has gotten uglier this season.

Jon & Sansa reunion was great.

First time since S1 the split up Stark children seeing each other right?

Littlefinger amazing as always. Time has come to join the fray.

Apt101

Ok, that was a good episode. Wonder when that dragon scene happens as we've seen in the trailers. Drogon flying overhead. Waiting for that.

Some pretty interesting developments this week. I loved seeing Jon reunite with Sansa!

on the other end, Yara fucking sucks and has gotten uglier this season.

Probably next episode, unless they spend time standing up Dany as the new Khaleesi. Then it would be the next one. It's going to be a dramatic "now it's on, let's go to Westeros" type moment.

Kozak

Banned
Uhh is Sansa gonna be LSH witbout the cut throat and Brienne as her executioner?

That would be cool but then I guess the issue of Podrick..

Also it doesnt seem to me that we will see Jon struggle with Ramsay. More so deal with it handily with Ramsay going out in the most pathetic way possible.

Rickon being alive would work for the story I think. It allows him to rule over Winterfell while Jon is out Azor Azahing.

So assuming Loras is going to die this season (From the fact that he's signed on to star in Iron Fist), how do you think he's going to go?

PS- I don't like Loras' portrayal in the show as a whole but I'm interested to see what kind of exit he will have.

I thought it was a very good episode, setting up all the exciting things to come. Of course the reality is we will be visiting the iron isles and it will be boring as fuck, but it at least feels like things are happening.

Two observations:

Somebody needs to kill the high sparrow...very quickly. If we have another 10 minute speech from him that goes nowhere I'll be flipping tables.

Yara bugged the hell out of me as I tried to work out who she looked like. I know realise she has somehow turned into Mance Rayder during the off season.

Apt101

they want Sansa to rule WF, Rickon is basically already dead

Yep. Rickon is the sacrificial lamb to move the Stark story forward. My guess is he'll die in some dramatic fashion right in front of Jon so that the writers can make him aggressive again.

Joni

Right ... so Tyrion was offering them a seven year transition to end slavery in their own city, the city that they hold and rule. That was what he was giving them ... in exchange for them ending the insurgency in Meereen. Tyrion is the best negotiator in the world.
He is offering them a smooth transistion, in comparison to an open war where one side has a huge army of Unsullied, the strongest company of mercenaries and three dragons versus an army of reluctant slaves. They took their city back against just those reluctant slaves, as Dany took her entire army with her. They lost quite fast to that army, when those dragons were small enough to sit on her shoulder. The biggest one alone could take down the city. Tyrion is telling them they can have everything they want, and still do what Dany wants them to do.

And this insurgency they're apparently pulling the strings of is the same insurgency that burned Dany's fleet. That's rather odd because having burned Dany's fleet makes it kind of hard for her to leave, which is apparently all they really want, hell he even mentions he tried giving her ships previously in the hope she'd leave but she refused.

The Sons of the Harpy are funded by them, but they might not be receiving immediate orders. They also know she isn't leaving, so they have no reason to keep her fleet alive, especially when she is not there.

Rixxan

Guess I'm the only one enjoying the high sparrow

Pryce is crushing it with his subtle power grabs, don't find his riffing boring at all

Henkka

Banned
I feel like they purposely wrote Jon this way so far to prop up Sansa's character development because they know how upset viewers were with them last year for victimizing her yet again. So they took a strong character, made him a tad weak for a moment and then finally developed Sansa to contrast it. Sansa's character certainly should be headed the way it is, and it should have started progressing last season. But I doubt that Jon was supposed to get insecure after his death if we're talking GRRM's mindset.

Yeah, I had the same thought... Jon reading the pink letter in ADWD is hype as shit. At least we got the letter, but the execution was odd. Am I supposed to believe that Jon needs a pep talk from Sansa in order find motivation to rescue Rickon and free his childhood home from the family who butchered Robb? Come on, brehs. I agree it was probably written so that Sansa had something to do in this episode.

bitbydeath

Pretty sure GRRM said it was a one-time thing and not general immunity. Doesn't really matter though. Don't have a problem with this.

Its already happened twice in the books.
Book 1 when she first got the dragons and book 5 when she escaped with Drogon.

El Topo

It's already happened twice in the books.
Book 1 when she first got the dragons and book 5 when she escaped with Drogon.

Wait, she got burned by Drogon in the books? Been a while.

Edit:
Right. Eh, GRRM said 'probably', so who knows? Either way, don't have a problem with that.

bitbydeath

Wait, she got burned by Drogon in the books? Been a while.

Edit:
Right. Eh, GRRM said 'probably', so who knows? Either way, don't have a problem with that.

Yep.

Here we go.

Daenerys, seeing her "child" in peril, runs to him just when Drogon kills Harghaz. After much difficulty, losing her hair and clothing after he bathes her in dragonefire, Daenerys manages to use a whip to berate and mount Drogon, then fly away on his back.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Drogon

Apt101

Yeah, I had the same thought... Jon reading the pink letter in ADWD is hype as shit. At least we got the letter, but the execution was odd. Am I supposed to believe that Jon needs a pep talk from Sansa in order find motivation to rescue Rickon and free his childhood home from the family who butchered Robb? Come on, brehs. I agree it was probably written so that Sansa had something to do in this episode.

Well we do not know how Jon is going to be in The Winds of Winter. This may be accurate. Perhaps one day GRRM will get around to finishing the damned thing so we'll know.

Enosh

they are quite obviously trying to make up for the criticism they got last season about Sansa

SteveWD40

Guess I'm the only one enjoying the high sparrow

Pryce is crushing it with his subtle power grabs, don't find his riffing boring at all

After wasting Siddig (Doran) I am pleased to see them making use of one of the best actors on the show. I do want things to move forward though, would be nice to see if he truly is as devout as he claims.

duckroll

That was pretty good. The Osha scene reinforces my belief that the entire thing is a setup. She probably told them to give her to him so she could get close to him and kill him. Too bad the plan failed because Ramsay just too smart and too strong. The Sansa/Jon stuff was great. The Theon stuff was okay. The Dany stuff was all awful but that was pretty much par for the course. The Tyrion stuff was very good this week and he even controlled himself and didn't make a dick joke. The Dorthraki made up for that though. The subtitles are hilarious. :p

I think the High Sparrow is the best part of the show right now. The story might not be going anywhere other than to set up the duel, but he's acting the shit out of the character, which is a delight to see.

I really liked this episode, best one of season for me.

Sansa/Jon + Pink letter was great. Tormund's eyes for Brienne were great.
Tyrion doing what he should be doing.
KL getting interesting finally.
Dany getting her army again.

Ironborn part was ok.
Osha dying was a given.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom