• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
That theory got thrown out when we saw how young Howland looked at ToJ. Unless he's a master of disguise.

It'll be Euron, yeah.

Trailer speculation-
it's safe to assume he sends Yara to fetch Dany

I wonder how the reaction to (and portrayal of) Euron will be. He is pretty evil himself but it could be fun to have a villain that is much more active in pursuing world domination or whatever the hell he is after rather than being holed up in a castle.

She definitely had an internal roll eye moment when Jon was whining, you could almost read her (and the audience really) saying "so do you really think you had it bad these past years?".

I get he's broken, but I don't get him ignoring that huge ass army of undead coming, as much as he doesn't want to fight he knows he has to.

The brothers for whom he did everything for 5 seasons killed him. He truly was broken.

Meier

So assuming Loras is going to die this season (From the fact that he's signed on to star in Iron Fist), how do you think he's going to go?

PS- I don't like Loras' portrayal in the show as a whole but I'm interested to see what kind of exit he will have.

He could probably continue to do both -- he's a very small player on GOT. Natalie Dormer is Moriarty on Elementary at the same time since she's used on Elementary so sparingly.

Was Dany going to the bathroom and meeting Jorah and Daario part of some sort of plan I missed? It seemed like she was expecting them.

I'm sure she was expecting them to an extent -- she knew they'd be trying to save her because that's just what the men in her life do. She's got them under her control. Fortunate timing. ;)

ryseing

I wonder how the reaction to (and portrayal of) Euron will be. He is pretty evil himself but it could be fun to have a villain that is much more active in pursuing world domination or whatever the hell he is after rather than being holed up in a castle.

Knowing D&D he'll be reduced to the guy who says "I AM THE (BLANK)" over and over.

I AM THE SEASTONE CHAIR

Truthfully I dunno how he'll be received. Let's be honest- even to us he's a bit of a blank slate. It will be interesting to see how his character is fleshed out.

Yes, but by the same token, GRRM utterly fails to pay things off or advance the plot at a reasonable pace. They have as few as 21 episodes remaining in the series. From the episode where Dany first took Mereen to right now - that's how much screentime time they've got to wrap this series up.

Shit just needs to start happening.

I agree that GRRM has taken wayyy too long considering AFFC and ADWD were basically just setup books, but I do believe it negatively impacts the show. Cool things are happening but also feel somewhat unearned, which lessens the impact. Dany last episode for example, and arguably every death this season minus the Night's Watch conspirators. It's like "oh okay, that happened" at every big moment.

Forkball

I wonder if Euron will have the dragon horn. That's basically his big hook at the kingsmoot. Unless he just says"Let's take over THE WORLD" and everyone cheers.

Massa

Really cool nod (?) to the books was Sansa telling Jon she's been thinking about him, like we know she has in the books.

duckroll

You know, the entire letter to Jon from Ramsay just shows what kind of writers the showrunners are. It's pretty hilarious how one note and devoid of imagination the entire thing is, even taking into account the fact that Ramsay is a one note gimmick character on the show. The threats are so predictable it's almost self-parody at this point.

BASTARD! BASTARD! HEY BASTARD! IF YOU IGNORE ME I WILL KILL ALL THE MEN, WOMEN AND BABIES! I WILL MAKE YOU WATCH ME SKIN PEOPLE ALIVE, GANGRAPE YOUR SISTER, FEED YOUR BROTHER TO MY DOGS, AND I WILL SCOOP YOUR EYEBALLS OUT WHILE YOU'RE STILL ALIVE LOLZ!!!!!

But probably not as hilarious has the decision to subtitle all the Dorthraki dialogue with FUCK, CUNT, etc. Such edge. Much crude. So rude. Wow.

Well to be fair the original letter from the books wasn't exactly subtle either.

But that said while I think 90% of the theories about ASOIAF are bogus even tho entertaining I think the letter not being written by Ramsay is definately the most plausible one right after Jon being a Targ. But in the show it obviously is.

Kuroyume

Banned
You know, the entire letter to Jon from Ramsay just shows what kind of writers the showrunners are. It's pretty hilarious how one note and devoid of imagination the entire thing is, even taking into account the fact that Ramsay is a one note gimmick character on the show. The threats are so predictable it's almost self-parody at this point.

BASTARD! BASTARD! HEY BASTARD! IF YOU IGNORE ME I WILL KILL ALL THE MEN, WOMEN AND BABIES! I WILL MAKE YOU WATCH ME SKIN PEOPLE ALIVE, GANGRAPE YOUR SISTER, FEED YOUR BROTHER TO MY DOGS, AND I WILL SCOOP YOUR EYEBALLS OUT WHILE YOU'RE STILL ALIVE LOLZ!!!!!

Thought he sent him the exact same note in ADWD except the threat was to kill Sansa instead....

Might be a dumb question (or one that's been asked a million times), but why are there still two versions of this thread? Hasn't the show completely moved past the books?

Forkball

Letter from the books:

Your false king is dead, bastard. He and all his host were smashed in seven days of battle. I have his magic sword. Tell his red whore.
Your false king's friends are dead. Their heads upon the walls of Winterfell. Come see them, bastard. Your false king lied, and so did you. You told the world you burned the King-Beyond-the-Wall. Instead you sent him to Winterfell to steal my bride from me.

I will have my bride back. If you want Mance Rayder back, come and get him. I have him in a cage for all the north to see, proof of your lies. The cage is cold, but I have made him a warm cloak from the skins of the six whores who came with him to Winterfell.

I want my bride back. I want the false king's queen. I want his daughter and his red witch. I want this wildling princess. I want his little prince, the wildling babe. And I want my Reek. Send them to me, bastard, and I will not trouble you or your black crows. Keep them from me, and I will cut out your bastard's heart and eat it.

Ramsay Bolton, Trueborn Lord of Winterfell

Should've kept the Reek line in the show.

Showaddy

But probably not as hilarious has the decision to subtitle all the Dorthraki dialogue with FUCK, CUNT, etc. Such edge. Much crude. So rude. Wow.

To be fair this is the book version:

Your false king is dead, bastard. He and all his host were smashed in seven days of battle. I have his magic sword. Tell his red whore.
Your false king's friends are dead. Their heads upon the walls of Winterfell. Come see them, bastard. Your false king lied, and so did you. You told the world you burned the King-Beyond-the-Wall. Instead you sent him to Winterfell to steal my bride from me.

I will have my bride back. If you want Mance Rayder back, come and get him. I have him in a cage for all the north to see, proof of your lies. The cage is cold, but I have made him a warm cloak from the skins of the six whores who came with him to Winterfell.

I want my bride back. I want the false king's queen. I want his daughter and his red witch. I want this wildling princess. I want his little prince, the wildling babe. And I want my Reek. Send them to me, bastard, and I will not trouble you or your black crows. Keep them from me, and I will cut out your bastard's heart and eat it.

Ramsay Bolton, Trueborn Lord of Winterfell.

Tone and language is pretty much identical haha

Edit: Beaten lol

Gigglepoo

Conspiracy and Murder I believe.

Nah, Maegery's crimes went beyond that. She's accused of treason for sleeping with men other than the king. That's punishable by death in every medieval-era judicial system.

I don't think the walk of shame is a punishment rather than a way for their captives to get on probation of sorts. Cersei for example is still waiting for her trial.

Also it's totally plausible High Sparrow is just playing the game rather than being as pious as he pretends to be.

It's just really extreme that would be required no matter what crime you're accused of. Though maybe that's not the High Sparrow's plan? Tommen or Cercei could have lied.

Like, there's poetic justice to punish Cercei for sleeping around by making her march naked. But lying about your brother being gay? That just doesn't make sense. My money is on either Cercei or Tommen lying about that to summon Tyrell forces. Seems much more plausible.

Knowing D&D he'll be reduced to the guy who says "I AM THE (BLANK)" over and over.

I AM THE SEASTONE CHAIR

Truthfully I dunno how he'll be received. Let's be honest- even to us he's a bit of a blank slate. It will be interesting to see how his character is fleshed out.

It's the Salt Throne now...

Letter from the books:

Should've kept the Reek line in the show.

Despite the letter in the show having crazier language and threats, the letter in the books sounds like straight ramblings of a madman. Jon probably read that and is like "Your Reek? What the fuck is a Reek?"

Assuming the book letter even came from Ramsay in the first place.

duckroll

The big difference between the letter in the books and the letter in the show is how much information is communicated with the quantity of words. In the book letter, Ramsay is writing to tell Jon Snow that Stannis has been beaten and killed. He is also telling him that he discovered Jon's plan with Mance, and he's exposing his lies. He then tells him that Mance's plan failed and that he has him captive, and have killed his women. He then makes his demands, and the only thing he promises in retaliation if his demands are not met is that he'll kill Jon Snow himself. There's a lot more thought put into designing the letter and what it wants to communicate.

In comparison, the show's letter is him telling Jon things Jon already knows (you let the wildings cross over, blah blah) and the only new piece of info is that he has Rickon and has his dead direwolf. That's all it has. The rest of it is padded with more and more exaggerated threats to the point of it being comical. It's really not the same!

Also, the book's letter didn't end every sentence with "come and see", but I guess maybe this is the show paying homage to the other bad writing in the recent books like "where do whores go" lol. :p

You know, this sort of criticism is a big part of why I so often have difficulty reading this thread. These sort of attempts to castigate the showrunners while not even considering the reasons why they've made the adaptational choices they have, and completely ignoring or dismissing comparable criticisms of the books.

The letter in the show is EXTREMELY similar to the letter in the books, and frankly the show's Ramsey is not at all dissimilar to the personality and actions of the character in the books. To see this presented as an indictment of the showrunners is laughable, honestly.

There are legitimate and substantial criticisms to be made of the showrunners, but the likes of this, and the litany of similar comments we get week-in, week-out, are not those. They are not even close to those.

mantidor

The really lame part is threatening to rape Sansa with his soldiers, she is his wife, is he really ok with her possibly getting pregnant by someone else? That was just dumb.

Meier

You know, this sort of criticism is a big part of why I so often have difficulty reading this thread. These sort of attempts to castigate the showrunners while not even considering the reasons why they've made the adaptational choices they have, and completely ignoring or dismissing comparable criticisms of the books.

The letter in the show is EXTREMELY similar to the letter in the books, and frankly the show's Ramsey is not at all dissimilar to the personality and actions of the character in the books. To see this presented as an indictment of the showrunners is laughable, honestly.

There are legitimate and substantial criticisms to be made of the showrunners, but the likes of this, and the litany of similar comments we get week-in, week-out, are not those. They are not even close to those.
Nailed it. This thread is often completely unreadable. Perfectly stated by you.

Coin Return

Loose Slot

BUT D&D ARE HACKS!

Geist-

I'm just really sad that they're going to completely forego the Grand Northern Conspiracy in favor of just continuing to build Ramsey up as a cartoon villain who never has any consequences for his actions (like killing his father obviously in front of witnesses). The entire Northern plotlines are boring and sad.

At least Daenarys is finally done conquering the Dothraki, now we can move on to more important things. Like leaving Slaver's Bay.

duckroll

I'm just really sad that they're going to completely forego the Grand Northern Conspiracy in favor of just continuing to build Ramsey up as a cartoon villain who never has any consequences for his actions (like killing his father obviously in front of witnesses). The entire Northern plotlines are boring and sad.

At least Daenarys is finally done conquering the Dothraki, now we can move on tomore important things. Like leaving Slaver's Bay.

The Grand Northern Conspiracy lives. I still believe!

kazinova

The ripples of all the concessions made in previous seasons to adapt the books as best as possible (with good intentions originally) have created an increasingly unfaithful feel to every characters actions.

Ser Davos "basically the audience" Seaworth
Ramsey "king of subtlety" Bolton
Dorne ruled by the Sand Snakes
The repeated, and unnecessary punishment of Salsa

Changes they made to Brienne's storyline and Arya's (specifically the two groups meeting and clashing) felt true to the books to a degree and was an understandable change. Combining storylines to simplify things for the viewer is at least purposeful.

The treatment of other characters is less so, it's all quite hammy and heavy-handed, really. Partly because the cartoonish violence and ruthlessness of Ramsey is confined to very few details in the ASOIAF compared to GoT. His letter seems absurd despite being very similar; because of how much more they've shoved his evilness down our throats.

Geist-

The Grand Northern Conspiracy lives. I still believe!
I want to believe too. I'm just having a hard time.
The treatment of other characters is less so, it's all quite hammy and heavy-handed, really. Partly because the cartoonish violence and ruthlessness of Ramsey is confined to very few details in the ASOIAF compared to GoT. His letter seems absurd despite being very similar; because of how much more they've shoved his evilness down our throats.
I think you nailed it. Most of his evilness was implied or described after the fact. When the show just shows everything, it kind of just seems more ridiculous than anything else.

tmdorsey

That was pretty good. The Osha scene reinforces my belief that the entire thing is a setup. She probably told them to give her to him so she could get close to him and kill him.

This was my thinking as well. Not sure why so many say it's proof that it's not a trap by the Umbers. Instead of trying to bargain for her life, she went straight for the seduction and trying to kill him.

Jon didn't bother to mention fighting the Others on his rant. Thought that was weird.

I noticed that as well.

hoos30

Those "Show vs. Book" memes are poorly done and I think they are confusing people into thinking that EVERY change from the books must be bad. No, it is a different format....some of those book things would never work in a 60 minute TV show.

Changing from the books is not necessarily bad, it's what they changed it into that are frequently bad.

Talisa was bad, Sansa marrying Ramsay is bad, teleporting LF is bad, Ramsay the Villain Sue is bad, Dorne is bad, need I go on?

Just read the episode description on Wikipedia. How many times is Dany going to be portrayed as a messianic figure? It's like they keep building this up and there's never any payoff. Is she ever going to get to Westeros?

Henkka

Banned
I was thinking. If they wanted to cut Dorne from the show, why not just have Doran kill or imprison the Sand Snakes? Then have a scene where Trystane mourns Myrcella, and then returns to Dorne, as there's nothing for him in King's Landing now. Then just have Doran continue to be passive toward KL and that's that. No need to have more scenes in Dorne, as they're not going to do Aegon anyway.

Doran imprisoning the Sand Snakes after their plot relating to Myrcella would fit with the books, and make much more sense. Instead you have teleporting Sand Snakes wiping the Martell line out of existence as vengeance for the deaths of Oberyn and Elia Martell.

I just can't understand it. I'm willing to give the showrunners the benefit of the doubt that they considered this, but had some overriding reason not to do it that I can't see, though. edit: Although I suppose Ellaria still wants war with the Lannisters. I wonder if that's still going to happen or not.

hoos30

Changing from the books is not necessarily bad, it's what they changed it into that are frequently bad.

Talisa was bad, Sansa marrying Ramsay is bad, teleporting LF is bad, Ramsay the Villain Sue is bad, Dorne is bad, need I go on?
That's the thing, as a show watcher I don't have an inherent problem with any of those changes, aside from Dorne being horrible which I thought was the same in the books. The show has real life constraints so the shortcuts are perfectly reasonable to me. Not always well executed, but at least reasonable. I was not down for fArya which is the dumbest idea ever to me.

ryseing

It's the Salt Throne now...

Whoops.

Seastone Chair sounds better anyway.

Had a conversation about this last night. I think they saw the popularity of Joff and thought "well, since the audience liked this brand of evil, let's use this other character and double down!"

That has some merit but the extreme it's been taken to is absurd.

I was thinking. If they wanted to cut Dorne from the show, why not just have Doran kill or imprison the Sand Snakes? Then have a scene where Trystane mourns Myrcella, and then returns to Dorne, as there's nothing for him in King's Landing now. Then just have Doran continue to be passive toward KL and that's that. No need to have more scenes in Dorne, as they're not going to do Aegon anyway.

Doran imprisoning the Sand Snakes after their plot relating to Myrcella would fit with the books, and make much more sense. Instead you have teleporting Sand Snakes wiping the Martell line out of existence as vengeance for the deaths of Oberyn and Elia Martell.

I just can't understand it. I'm willing to give the showrunners the benefit of the doubt that they considered this, but had some overriding reason not to do it that I can't see, though. edit: Although I suppose Ellaria still wants war with the Lannisters. I wonder if that's still going to happen or not.

(Pure speculation)- whatever happens with the Faith Militant happens, than in the last episode we hear about Dorne invading and then Kevan/Pycelle die, leading to pure chaos within KL.

Gigglepoo

A lot of posts go in depth on why decisions made on the show don't work. This thread isn't just "That sucks!" over and over again. It's "That sucks because..." (when things do suck). Like Talisa. That sucked because it destroyed Robb's character. In the books, he was a clone of Ned Stark. He was so noble that he didn't realize when his actions were hurting him and his family, all he cared about was honor. And that's what Robb did. He forsakened his campaign because he didn't want to dishonor this woman who cared for him after battle. The book makes Robb's downfall a part of the personalty we already knew he had. His honor was used against him.

Talisa was Robb being an idiot who doesn't understand how politics works. He choose to break his vow despite the warnings of Cat and with full knowledge of the consequences. He wasn't worried about honor, he was worried about getting that sweet tail. That's a fundamental change that undermines Robb as a character and Cat and Ned as parents. It doesn't make any sense, either, given that he was a mini-Ned before that decision.

People are smart enough to know that books and television are different mediums and that changes are inevitable. But when those changes hurt the story, that's a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom