• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moosichu

Somebody should make a web series "The Travel Diary of Petyr Baelish" so people would shut up about teleporting.

Characters can travel places without the need to have their itineraries shown to the audience, especially non-major characters like Littlefinger. You know what happens when you add in every little travelogue you end up with 2 books and 15 years of no plot.

I think it's more about the timeframes in which he traveled, less the details of them.

Sheroking

"Give me back my wife so I can torture and rape her.

If you don't, I'll take back my wife to torture and rape her!

Oh and you will watch!"

Well, it was more like:

"Give me back my wife or my soldiers will rape her, I'll kill all your wildling friends and feed your brother to my dogs".

Reviews:
- Onion A|V Club
- Sepinwall
- Rolling Stone
- The Atlantic panel discussion
- NY Mag
- Salon.com
- NY Times

Interviews:
- Sophie Turner with EW
- EW with Emilia Clarke
- Full Kit Harington article from last week's EW

Videos:
- Promo for next week's episode (please spoiler tag any discussion)
- Inside the Episode for this week
- "The Unburnt" (Clarke, Glen, Huisman on Dany's scene)
- "Staying Strong" (Dormer & Jones on their imprisonment)

Also note that The Game Revealed and After the Thrones are up on HBOGo and HBONow.

Hot Pie will kick Ramsay in the balls until he dies.

He'll kick him all a' pieces.

Ramsay already talked to the kid that Hot Pie kicked in the balls so he knows Hot Pie's MO. You can't try the same tactic on Ramsay that you already used on someone else, you have to mix it up.

Gigglepoo

Also note that The Game Revealed and After the Thrones are up on HBOGo and HBONow.

After the Thrones isn't good again. It's more of a recap show than any proper analysis. Really disappointing they didn't use their resources to put together a necessary companion piece.

After the Thrones isn't good again. It's more of a recap show than any proper analysis. Really disappointing they didn't use their resources to put together a necessary companion piece.
Did you get a chance to watch The Game Revealed yet? I'm curious what they run through this installment as covers both Ep 3 and Ep 4.

JakeD

the wall - excellent. loved the stark reunion, pink letter, and tormund/brienne. the brienne/davos/mel scene was a little weird. kind of felt like "well here's a conversation these people must have" didn't feel very organic. would have been even weirder if it didn't take place at all though.

winterfell - can't believe we're still getting these scenes once a week. i wish they took a page from the books (no pun intended) and had most of ramsays antics appear off screen this year. the pink letter in the ADWD made me hate ramsay more than all of his goofy murder scenes combined.

kings landing - not bad. i'm more interested in this storyline than i thought i would be at this point. at least it appears to be moving forward, even if we had to sit through another sparrow monologue. this one was slightly more interesting than usual.

dany - i like the idea of her uniting the khalasars by killing all the khals. not sure on the execution of the actual scene though. using her fire immunity like a superpower while plotting just felt a little weak. the reason the pyre scene worked was because it was this mysterious targaryen intuition. also didnt help that the scene seemed to be filmed in a real cheesy way. i didnt hate it though. just thought it was the weakest part of the episode

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
dany - i like the idea of her uniting the khalasars by killing all the khals. not sure on the execution of the actual scene though. using her fire immunity like a superpower while plotting just felt a little weak. the reason the pyre scene worked was because it was this mysterious targaryen intuition. also didnt help that the scene seemed to be filmed in a real cheesy way. i didnt hate it though. just thought it was the weakest part of the episode
earlier i mentioned how the scene was poorly directed and someone quoted my avatar or something.

one of the problems with goty is how the quality of episodes varies from episode to episode. the same show that gave us hardhome also gave us that terrible sandsnakes battle. the same show that gave us the brilliant purple wedding also had us sit through this awfully directed scene.

Moosichu

You know diaries include dates. It is kind of what makes a diary a diary and not just a notebook

The supposed plothole is that he is travelling faster than feasably possible. As in, covering large distances in far to short time periods. The only diary that could fix such a plothole is one where he rides on dragons, or , you know, teleports which is where the meme comes from. :p

ryseing

Eh, I thought ATT this week was OK. They're clearly still working out the kinks.

This kind of pandering isn't exclusive to the villains, one named character dies per episode now.

The whole "no weak men will rule Dorne" Sand Snakes takeover is a reaction to fans support of the "totally bad-ass" women of Dorne. **wretch**

Basically all their bad decisions are the fan-service stuff. They need to strike out from ASOIAF and do their own thing, cool, I get that. But actually have vision about it, don't fall into a formula because it's what people want to see.

Can an entire show be Flanderized? Because I feel like that is what's happening here.

Snake

I liked or was fine with everything here except for Osha's unceremonious death. A waste of a [previously] good character.

Did you get a chance to watch The Game Revealed yet? I'm curious what they run through this installment as covers both Ep 3 and Ep 4.
Looking forward to watching it, I enjoyed the one for the first two episodes. We don't often get a see the production side of these episodes outside of dvd extras.

I felt like it was a very solid, if workmanlike, episode up until the end. I'm so glad to finally get traction on the "Dany gets her armies" line, but I'm also so tired of seeing a) hordes of brown people bowing to Dany, and b) Dany gaining agency by being naked. That scene brought the two together in a way that was just 'ugh' for me.

Meier

I'm beginning to think it's just lazy writing that they're killing off the minor characters. It seems like they know they can't resolve their arcs so they'll just kill them off. Really disappointing. In that regard, this episode didn't disappoint either.

Well, there are definitely too many characters and too many story lines for a TV show -- especially given the length of the seasons. So if it requires killing people off to phase some things out, so be it. But I suspect there will be a lot of minor characters who die in Book 6 as well.

kirblar

The impression I got from the books (assuming it was GRRM's intention and not that he had no idea what to do with her for 1000 pages) is that Dany is a fantastic conqueror but a shit ruler. She basically tries to force Meereen to conform to her views (and fails), which is what I imagine she would do if she ever sat the Iron Throne of Westeros. She's all high and mighty about her titles and birthright but it a terrible ruler.
It's an Iraq analogue.

Pretty good episode outside of a few things. Didn't the majority of the Dany's Dothraki ditch her after the pyre scene yet here she pulls the same trick after clearly assassinating the Khals and she's universally worshipped? Or was that just a book thing/me misremembering season 1?

Also the Osha death seemed pointless. Why bring a character back after so long on to kill her immediately? Especially given Martin said he'd extend her role in the books after the actors portrayal of her.

JakeD

Pretty good episode outside of a few things. Didn't the majority of the Dany's Dothraki ditch her after the pyre scene yet here she pulls the same trick after clearly assassinating the Khals and she's universally worshipped? Or was that just a book thing/me misremembering season 1?

IIRC they ditched her immediately after drogo died, not because of the pyre. the dothraki follow power so it makes sense that some would worship her. however i think its a bit of a plot hole that ALL of them follow her. some of them would be angry for killing the khals during their truce time. and certainly some of them would think she was an evil sorceress.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
edit: I wonder who will be the next ''villain'' after Ramsay (I mean, he HAS to die this season considering his cartoon villain buildup). Euron is one candidate but I wonder how they link him to the good guys. The white walkers probably will be a big one after this season but it would be boring if all the baddies were just zombies.

Daenerys

IIRC they ditched her immediately after drogo died, not because of the pyre. the dothraki follow power so it makes sense that some would worship her. however i think its a bit of a plot hole that ALL of them follow her. some of them would be angry for killing the khals during their truce time. and certainly some of them would think she was an evil sorceress.

Season 7 and 8, Dany learns about being a ruler as her people start to rebel. Instead of goung home, she decides to stay to try to fix the situation.

Brakke

Banned

Also the Osha death seemed pointless. Why bring a character back after so long on to kill her immediately? Especially given Martin said he'd extend her role in the books after the actors portrayal of her.

People didn't ditched her because fire, they ditched her because Drogo died and because witchy blood magic. In this case, no blood magic, just a miracle. Too bad she wasted her rousing speech about mounting the world on a bunch of charbroiled khals. Hopefully she did it again to the assembled dothraki right after the camera cut to rally the midlevel guys (who might declare themselves khals in the aftermath) behind her.

Turin

Banned
For some reason it's only now just sunk in that they're going to rob Varys of his Kevan moment. -_-

Basically, JONSA 2016.

The rest of the season could be Pycelle slow-rolling wayward of Cersei and I'd be satisfied.

Hey, Luke.

welcome-aboard.gif

JakeD

Season 7 and 8, Dany learns about being a ruler as her people start to rebel. Instead of goung home, she decides to stay to try to fix the situation.

sounds like riveting TV! lol

come to think of it, the khal didn't seem to give a shit one of his men got his head smashed in with a rock, so maybe theyre ok with violence and murder as long as it's not with a blade of some kind?

Speevy

Banned
The Dothraki fire brigade quickly puts out the blaze.

"Damn, we were just kidding about that rape thing. NOT COOL KHALEESI."

Why do I have a feeling that as soon as this whole Winterfell thing comes to a head, the WW's are gonna show up.

I think that is the overall theme of the books/show. War is bad and while men are dumb fighting over each others land, the real threat is the others/winter (whatever those are a metaphor for).

I think that is the overall theme of the books/show. War is bad and while men are dumb fighting over each others land, the real threat is the others/winter (whatever those are a metaphor for).

I still feel the white walkers aren't all bad/have some agenda other than kill all humans. GRRM has stated time and again his distaste for generic doomsday villains.

...But then, he also stated his distaste for fantasy making all the bad guys ugly, then turns around and makes all the worst characters in his story hideous (Frey and Ramsay in the books are grostesque unlike the show) so who knows at this point.

I always interpreted them as a metaphor for the "natural world". As in, the world of man gets distracted with titles and possessions and eventually nature corrects everything trying to get rid of their silliness.

Speevy

Banned
I always interpreted them as a metaphor for the "natural world". As in, the world of man gets distracted with titles and possessions and eventually nature corrects everything trying to get rid of their silliness.

I think it's more like this.

Men have more power than they'll ever have in the pilot. The Starks, the Baratheons, the Lannisters, the Greyjoy.

Every since then, they've been fighting a war of increasingly diminishing returns, and every time someone wins, they still lose in the end.

In the mean time, a greater threat is coming to wipe them all out.

In the show, they'll streamline it so that Jon Snow successfully makes an uneasy peace with the help of Tyrion, Dany, and Bran. It will have cost the world dearly, leading to the ends of all but a few great houses.

In the show, they'll streamline it so that Jon Snow successfully makes an uneasy peace with the help of Tyrion, Dany, and Bran. It will have cost the world dearly, leading to the ends of all but a few great houses.

I imagine it's building up to an end of the "current" system in Westeros, and will see a world where Wildlings stay south of The Wall and there are no Wardens and maybe even no Kings.

Speevy

Banned
I have a question.

Even though it's obviously contrived for the show's increasingly speedy purposes, does it make sense that people would be that mad at Jon for letting the wildlings in, forgetting the fact that he's not Ned Stark's trueborn son.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Because this entire idea is covered within the first 10 minutes of episode 1.

Yeah, but there's a question of the timing. Absolute worst would be them taking the back of Jon's army leaving Littlefinger's to rout since they have no clue how to deal with the WW's.

I have a question.

Even though it's obviously contrived for the show's increasingly speedy purposes, does it make sense that people would be that mad at Jon for letting the wildlings in, forgetting the fact that he's not Ned Stark's trueborn son.
The mountain clans were leery of it. The wull or norrey at the wall with Jon raised some objections. These people fight the wildlings all the time, so it stands to reason.

I have a question.

As the Northmen see it the Night's Watch only serves to protect the Kingdoms of Men from Wildlings. The Other's are considered a myth, and the Night's Watch was--I believe--founded to protect against The Other's. So the current belief amongst people is that Jon betrayed the very ideals of the Night's Watch by letting the Wildlings through. Without any way to prove that The Other's are an actual threat he will have a hard time convincing the other houses in the North to support him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom