• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigglepoo

Winter Soldiers.

I don't watch Marvel movies...

But the White Walkers ties in with Martin's anti-war stance. The Wight Walkers could be seen as a metaphor for nuclear weapons or even the way in which our modern military uses and spits out young men (and women) for their own gain. I really don't get the idea that this is cheap or their mindless monsters or anything like that.

Its basically the Flood from Halo, or the Apes from Congo, or the Terminators, or the Xenomorphs.

Point is, we've seen it a thousand times already "race created to be living weapons turn against their masters and now pose a threat to everything."

I expected more from GRRM.

It's an idea that's been done many times before because it's so relevant to our modern world. Though I do expect there to be another twist. We'll see. But the groundwork is solid.

Also good luck GoT writers for the show and Martin. Time travel is one of the hardest things to do correctly, and 90% of the time you see time travel it's to introduce deus ex machina bullshit.

From what I've seen of every media attempt at time travel stuff, the only way it works decently is when it follows the ruleset where all events are already set and time travel is simply unusual connections between distant events.

Luckily from what we have seen the show and the books are both following that ruleset. We even have the line from Bloodraven about the "ink already being dry" (implying that you can't change the past).

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Its basically the Flood from Halo, or the Apes from Congo, or the Terminators, or the Xenomorphs.

Point is, we've seen it a thousand times already "race created to be living weapons turn against their masters and now pose a threat to everything."

I expected more from GRRM.

That's the whole idea from GRRM he likes to destroy tropes. He introduces them, and then spins it widely.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I really enjoyed the episode! I thought all the Bran stuff was great, the Hodor part in particular. The idea that it's "one of the worst things GRRM's ever written" is just nuts.

Her Vasquezing her way out was stupid. She could've just thrown the thing...

Yeah, I was also thinking of Aliens, lol.

For your second point, it was a delay tactic. She wanted to buy Bran time and take out as many wights as she could. Throwing it wouldn't've been as effective, at least from her perspective.

Gigglepoo

Varys getting freaked out was pretty incredible. The entire season I was wondering how Varys would deal with the Red Priestess considering his history with black magic. That scene was perfect. So creepy!

Bran

That's the show's new thing. If something bad happened in the past, Bran did it.

Why limit it to the past? He just killed a species, Blood Raven, Summer and Hodor.

Varys scene was ridiculously awesome. He's been utterly confident in every scene he's been in due to his knowledge and and then he's legit shook when the priestess knows something that's impossible.

Oh wow.

I am so far removed from some of you. I thought this was perhaps one of the best GOT scenes yet. It must be so exhausting not to find joy in this story but still watch it?

This.

Hold the Door is clearly from GRRM. Beautiful set-up, and a great scene. Better scene than the red wedding.

How anyone can't appreciate that set-up is beyond me. It made so much sense, and lets be honest. D&D aren't creating anything as clever as that. Another wolf dying? Yeah that's all them

Speevy

Banned
It was the high sparrow giving one of those speeches.

I wonder if Bran can warg into The Mountain. Maybe he can warg into The Mountain in the past and stop him from burning The Hound's face.

Then The Hound becomes a lawyer instead of a kingsguard.

News Bot

Banned
In the books yeah, but I'm guessing the show will simplify things. Melisandre will be more known to the audience and that she's old as hell so she has been around a while.

The show has already focused on R'hllor (and mentioned the name), so if they go back it'll just be weird. Melisandre doesn't speak to people through fire, she sees visions from R'hllor in it.

Mel will also be meeting Arya again, in one way or another.

The show has already focused on R'hllor (and mentioned the name), so if they go back it'll just be weird. Melisandre doesn't speak to people through fire, she sees visions from R'hllor in it.

Mel will also be meeting Arya again, in one way or another.
Since Mel is going with Jon, Arya better return soon, else she's going to turn into the new Dany.

It was the high sparrow giving one of those speeches.

I wonder if Bran can warg into The Mountain. Maybe he can warg into The Mountain in the past and stop him from burning The Hound's face.

Then The Hound becomes a lawyer instead of a kingsguard.

Except the "time travel" of both the show and the books is pretty blatantly going with the ruleset that all events, including time travel events, are already set in stone.

Gigglepoo

I hope we finally get Coldhands next week but Bran calls him "Steve"

Except the "time travel" of both the show and the books is pretty blatantly going with the ruleset that all events, including time travel events, are already set in stone.

Yeah, closed-loop time travel. Just like in Harry Potter.

Turin

Banned
In character, not a character.
In the books, Edd is nicknamed Dolorous Edd because he's always so cynical and dour. Was pretty spot on in this episode. In the prior ones, he was just a dude.

I know. I stand by what I said.

I don't watch Marvel movies...

But the White Walkers ties in with Martin's anti-war stance. The Wight Walkers could be seen as a metaphor for nuclear weapons or even the way in which our modern military uses and spits out young men (and women) for their own gain. I really don't get the idea that this is cheap or their mindless monsters or anything like that.

It's an idea that's been done many times before because it's so relevant to our modern world.

Hey, you're description matched his. I thought it was cute.

But yes, the revelation that the Children created the Walkers is interesting for a number of reasons. I just think it's a shame that they have to mow through all of these plot points without really giving them the proper attention. Very well shot scene though.

I'm curious about how the Night King became the highest rank now(if it is). Perhaps there's other figures back in Ice Mordor.

jett

D-Member

That's right. It's predestination. It's how Twelve Monkeys handled time travel.

Apt101

This.

Hold the Door is clearly from GRRM. Beautiful set-up, and a great scene. Better scene than the red wedding.

How anyone can't appreciate that set-up is beyond me. It made so much sense, and lets be honest. D&D aren't creating anything as clever as that. Another wolf dying? Yeah that's all them

Nymeria is still out there, as well as Ghost. I get the feeling they all will eventually die, though. And I have a feeling Jon will have to kill Ghost by his own hand for some reason - perhaps to put him out of his misery after some grave mauling (Nissa Nissa - in a way it can be said Jon is wed to Ghost).

if we do get coldhands, i hope we find out whether it's benjen or not in the same episode, though i really doubt they would even reveal it this season.

I think if Cold Hands does pop up to save Bran and Meera, it's going to be Waymar Royce, and we'll find out how Bran created him later with more time travel shenanigans.

D&D said that after Bran was touched, he went into a vision with Three-Eyed Raven so he could be taught everything, or as much as he could learn within that short stretch of time. What the heck else did he learn about? I wonder if he'll just casually drop bombs next week talking to Meera.

Brynden had to show Bran that while he technically told him the truth ("the past is written", or whatever), that he can change the past in a fashion, and how it's actually done. I got the feeling Brynden did this a lot in his days and it haunts him.

Damerman

I hope we finally get Coldhands next week but Bran calls him "Steve"

Yeah, closed-loop time travel. Just like in Harry Potter.

if we do get coldhands, i hope we find out whether it's benjen or not in the same episode, though i really doubt they would even reveal it this season.

Gigglepoo

D&D said that after Bran was touched, he went into a vision with Three-Eyed Raven so he could be taught everything, or as much as he could learn within that short stretch of time. What the heck else did he learn about? I wonder if he'll just casually drop bombs next week talking to Meera.

Kallor

Did they seriously just let Summer go out like that? jesus christ what a waste.

Pretty good episode except for a few bits, like that.

Nymeria is still out there, as well as Ghost. I get the feeling they all will eventually die, though. And I have a feeling Jon will have to kill Ghost by his own hand for some reason - perhaps to put him out of his misery after some grave mauling (Nissa Nissa - in a way it can be said Jon is wed to Ghost).
Azor Azhai had to temper his sword of light by burying it in his wife's chest. I always figured Jon would end up doing something similar with Ghost.

Damerman

lmao this is the worst prediction i've ever seen. lol. ghost is not that important lol.

manhack

All this "Hold the Door" = Hodor hate is ridiculous, but to be expected.

It is the epitome of the Haters gonna Hate logic that tends to emerge in movie and TV show discussions on the internet due to the sheer number of people engaged in the discussion.

I certainly don't begrudge your right to have issues with the reveal, but I do wonder how many of you are seriously upset and how many came here to troll the rest of us who thought it was good and sad.

Saya

Summer killed by winter.

I can only see Ghost making it to the end, but he will probably sacrifice himself to defend Jon at some point.

Nymeria? Wouldn't be surprised if she is never seen again in the show.

Found this online from years ago where a guy at a convention shared an elevator with GRRM. Doesn't seem tinfoil-y anymore. Sounds legit. The final time we ended up together, the conversation went like this:

Me: I finally figured out why you have a character named “Hodor.”
Martin: Oh?
Me: I was thinking about your comment about wanting to be an elevator operator. It’s clear to me now that “Hodor” is short for “Hold the door.”
Martin: (laughing) You don’t know how close to the truth you are!

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
All this "Hold the Door" = Hodor hate is ridiculous, but to be expected.

It is the epitome of the Haters gonna Hate logic that tends to emerge in movie and TV show discussions on the internet due to the sheer number of people engaged in the discussion.

I certainly don't begrudge your right to have issues with the reveal, but I do wonder how many of you are seriously upset and how many came here to troll the rest of us who thought it was good and sad.

I guess I'm in the minority on this one. Hold the door is some dumb shit.

I honestly wasn't expecting a split like this coming to this thread after watching the episode, but maybe I should've.

Hyped for the rest of the seasons

300px-Zippo514_Coldhands.jpg

I also wonder instead of giving Victarion a fire hand, the give Theon a fire penis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom