• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezrarh

The Three-Eye Raven should have done a FMEA and taken control measures against Bran accidentally fucking everything up.

The Chinese subtitle here has "note: 'Hold the door sounds like 'Hodor'", it really fucked with my ability to take the scene seriously.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I think it's dumb that it was revealed that Hodor has been saying 'Hodor' forever because at the end of his life a girl shouted 'hold the door' over and over while his body was being controlled by a young boy who's consciousness was in the past where a young Hodor was because an ancient raven/tree man was helping the boy ascend to his position as mystical tree man during an assault by ice skeletons and zombies that had discovered the location of the boy and tree man because the king of the ice skeletons had touched the boy's hand during a dream.
Beyond just being convoluted the scene as presented just doesn't really make sense. If Meera ends the episode carrying Brann what was really stopping her from doing that to begin with? Why does Brann need to control Hodor in the past in order to accomplish this goal instead of just doing it in the present? How does holding the door really give a girl pulling a crippled man around on a makeshift sled the opportunity to escape the White Walkers out on frozen tundra?

That the story beat came in a manner that makes it some big secret being related to the episode title and being the outro drop just had me wanting to walk away from the show long term. If something as meaningless as the origin of Hodor's name is presented as some grand secret to the lore of Game of Thrones I just want off.

gazele

Banned
I'm not understanding the love for this episode

I don't understand what Bran was doing

There's no reason Hodor had to die, they could have ran but no, Bran had to watch some old home movies

So Cold hands or Benjen returns next ep? No way Meera and a crippled boy and survive without someone
lUTExVi.jpg

LOL.

In any case, I really hope this means Cold Hands is coming. It's the perfect opportunity.

manhack

I think it's dumb that it was revealed that Hodor has been saying 'Hodor' forever because at the end of his life a girl shouted 'hold the door' over and over while his body was being controlled by a young boy who's consciousness was in the past where a young Hodor was because an ancient raven/tree man was helping the boy ascend to his position as mystical tree man during an assault by ice skeletons and zombies that had discovered the location of the boy and tree man because the king of the ice skeletons had touched the boy's hand during a dream.

Hmm..I'd be interested to hear if you are a fan of fantasy or science fiction stories in general or if you just think it was poorly done and didn't make sense in the world that has been laid out in GoT?

I liked the reveal, but was concerned about the influence of Bran's greenseeing on the past and if this would introduce time-travel aspects. As much as I have bought into the GoT universe, time travel would be a little too much, unless there is some seriously good explanation for it.

So much of the show is focused on people and events that seem analogous to things that existed in our world history that weaving in the fantasy elements can be a bit jarring. It wasn't until the Dragon revealed at the end of the 1st book/season that I truly realized this was going to be a true fantasy story.

Artdayne

People are so possed off at Bran, as if he made the choice for...any of this to happen.

I haven't been coming to this thread for long, but my impression is that people don't actually like this show very much. They like their theories and when those theories don't come true...well...lots of kicking and screaming.

That sounds about right. I personally loved the episode and I'm fine with treating the books and show as two separate entities.

I thought it was a great episode outside of the Kings Moot. It felt so lame and rushed compared to the book version and the ironborn gobbling up Euron's story seemed forced.

Pkaz01

So what does the red priestess even do for Dany that Tyrion thinks its such a good idea to bring her in? No one in Meereen likes strangers so he brings one in to convince them Dany is the chosen person of a god they dont worship?

Speevy

Banned
Beyond just being convoluted the scene as presented just doesn't really make sense. If Meera ends the episode carrying Brann what was really stopping her from doing that to begin with? Why does Brann need to control Hodor in the past in order to accomplish this goal instead of just doing it in the present? How does holding the door really give a girl pulling a crippled man around on a makeshift sled the opportunity to escape the White Walkers out on frozen tundra?

That the story beat came in a manner that makes it some big secret being related to the episode title and being the outro drop just had me wanting to walk away from the show long term. If something as meaningless as the origin of Hodor's name is presented as some grand secret to the lore of Game of Thrones I just want off.

Hodor is by far one of the most interesting characters on the show since he watched as the entire Stark family was destroyed and was loyal to them through it all. If you don't find this interesting, you probably should at least empathize with those who do. He's a cool character.

So what does the red priestess even do for Dany that Tyrion thinks its such a good idea to bring her in? No one in Meereen likes strangers so he brings one in to convince them Dany is the chosen person of a god they dont worship?
The red priests and priestesses already have presence in the city, Tyrion want them to do PR work for Dany.

Apt101

My personal takeaway from this episode is that Ellie Kendrick (Meera) is a talented actress who has done really good in a relatively small role on the show.

I googled her name. She's 25. Wow. I would have guessed 16, tops. Some people just look really young and/or I had no idea how much magic they can work with makeup.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Hodor is by far one of the most interesting characters on the show since he watched as the entire Stark family was destroyed and was loyal to them through it all. If you don't find this interesting, you probably should at least empathize with those who do. He's a cool character.
I just can't empathize with people that enjoy Hodor as a major piece of the story. The spotlight being directed on him is only indicative of just how far away the show has taken the story away from political and militaristic maneuvering. It's the lowest form of fantasy adventure at these points.

munchie64

I think it's awesome that it was revealed that Hodor has been saying 'Hodor' forever because at the end of his life a girl shouted 'hold the door' over and over while his body was being controlled by a young boy who's consciousness was in the past where a young Hodor was because an ancient raven/tree man was helping the boy ascend to his position as mystical tree man during an assault by ice skeletons and zombies that had discovered the location of the boy and tree man because the king of the ice skeletons had touched the boy's hand during a dream.

There's no reason Hodor had to die, they could have ran but no, Bran had to watch some old home movies

Just logistically, I don't understand why Meera and Hodor didn't just take that torch right by the door and light it on fire to hold off the Wights. I mean, I can't fathom that Hodor holding the door would have given them that much time when the thousands of Wights crawling all over that hill were swarming that place like goblins in Moria in Fellowship of the Ring.

I'm totally fine with the show doing its own thing so long as the books do their own thing. I will be a little bit bummed out that we'll likely never see a faithful TV version of the last two books.

Afrodium

Banned
Hmm..I'd be interested to hear if you are a fan of fantasy or science fiction stories in general or if you just think it was poorly done and didn't make sense in the world that has been laid out in GoT?

I liked the reveal, but was concerned about the influence of Bran's greenseeing on the past and if this would introduce time-travel aspects. As much as I have bought into the GoT universe, time travel would be a little too much, unless there is some seriously good explanation for it.

So much of the show is focused on people and events that seem analogous to things that existed in our world history that weaving in the fantasy elements can be a bit jarring. It wasn't until the Dragon revealed at the end of the 1st book/season that I truly realized this was going to be a true fantasy story.

I actually tend to love time travel stuff but just feel it has no place in this world. admittedly I tend not to like the Bran stuff in the books or show because it's much more firmly in the fantastical realm that most other plots tend to stay on the outskirts of. I was drawn to how grounded the first book/season was and I always felt that Bran's story came from a different series entirely. Sure, there's dragons and wizards, but the dragons are rare and the wizards aren't even powerful enough for most people to believe they can do real magic. Bran being able to control animals and send his consciousness back in time just doesn't fit well with the world of GoT in my opinion.

And before people pile on, I get that all of this stuff is a part of the world that GRRM created and it's on me for wanting it to be more grounded in reality than it actually is. I'm just saying that characteristics I enjoyed most from earlier books/seasons are not evident in Bran's story and because of this the ending of this episode had little impact for me.

Saya

Just logistically, I don't understand why Meera and Hodor didn't just take that torch right by the door and light it on fire to hold off the Wights. I mean, I can't fathom that Hodor holding the door would have given them that much time when the thousands of Wights crawling all over that hill were swarming that place like goblins in Moria in Fellowship of the Ring.

Meera snowboarding Bran's sled down a snowy hill will give them enough time to put some distance between them. Enough for Coldhands to show up and give them a ride to his forest hut on his giant elk.

void666

Banned
I wss thinking the same. They have to rewrite the book here in Brazil lol

"Segure a porta"

Hodor will become Segorta hahahah

I wonder how the dubbed version did it.

Lol. It reminds me of besourosuco (bettlejuice).

What if Meera said "hold the fucking door"?

Anyways i have mixed feelings. Hold the door makes sense. But i still think it's kinda dumb.

KahooTs

And it came against the backdrop of the WW creation just being dropped and left like it was a Tyrion cock joke earlier in the episode.

Ponn

Banned
Beyond just being convoluted the scene as presented just doesn't really make sense. If Meera ends the episode carrying Brann what was really stopping her from doing that to begin with? Why does Brann need to control Hodor in the past in order to accomplish this goal instead of just doing it in the present? How does holding the door really give a girl pulling a crippled man around on a makeshift sled the opportunity to escape the White Walkers out on frozen tundra? .

Once the sled was on snow that would make it easier to pull along compared to dragging it through a rocky cave. Also I didn't know Hodor's name was such a puzzling lore or secret to the book readers all this time. The last couple episodes of GoT is honestly the only time i've heard of anyone giving a shit or even thinking about his name so I don't see why it needed some major reveal for it.

bengraven

Expecting the beautiful death poster for Hodor to be heartbreaking.

FTFY

I predict dark shadows over the shot of the door, a limp giant of a man lying against it as the snow falls quietly. A few streams of blood pour toward the viewer. "Hold the door" is the tag of course.

Sheroking

Quick, someone figure out of it the actor who plays the Night's King was also the actor who got transformed by the COTF. If that was supposed to be the guy, they probably would use the same actor.

Rewatching it, there's something about his build and his face that give me that impression.

Aurongel

Once the sled was on snow that would make it easier to pull along compared to dragging it through a rocky cave. Also I didn't know Hodor's name was such a puzzling lore or secret to the book readers all this time. The last couple episodes of GoT is honestly the only time i've heard of anyone giving a shit or even thinking about this name so I don't see why it needed some major reveal for it.

I think it's significant because it hints towards the tremendous power Bran's inception magic is. The bit where he calls out to Ned was the tease for what happens here. Tying Hodor's story and the trauma of his death into it is some efficient ass storytelling if true. It's not like Bran is going to never enter his dreamy weamy state again, this time he'll know the full potential of it having seen what it did to Hodor.

btrboyev

I'm totally fine with the show doing its own thing so long as the books do their own thing. I will be a little bit bummed out that we'll likely never see a faithful TV version of the last two books.

I think you are kidding yourself if you think we are going to get two more books from George.

Once the sled was on snow that would make it easier to pull along compared to dragging it through a rocky cave. Also I didn't know Hodor's name was such a puzzling lore or secret to the book readers all this time. The last couple episodes of GoT is honestly the only time i've heard of anyone giving a shit or even thinking about his name so I don't see why it needed some major reveal for it.
It's been discussed for years, with the main theories either being that "Hodor" is the name of the Great Other or that Bran destroyed his mind by entering his body at some point.

Werd

From Reddit, I liked this book line foreshadowing the WW/CotF reveal.
Cotter Pyke said:
“Sam the Slayer!” he said, by way of greeting. “Are you sure you stabbed an Other, and not some child’s snow knight?”

LordCanti

Quick, someone figure out of it the actor who plays the Night's King was also the actor who got transformed by the COTF. If that was supposed to be the guy, they probably would use the same actor.

Rewatching it, there's something about his build and his face that give me that impression.

Comparing his headshot on IMDB to the guy in the scene, I think that it is, yeah.

I wonder how the dubbed version did it.

Lol. It reminds me of besourosuco (bettlejuice).

What if Meera said "hold the fucking door"?

Anyways i have mixed feelings. Hold the door makes sense. But i still think it's kinda dumb.

It was hilarious. "Segura a porta... a por... a por...

hodor"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom