• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rixxan

a single peel of the onion of the white walkers is peeled away and suddenly they are mindless evil baddies out to kill good guys

got it, spoilers thread

got it

ryseing

There's never been anything subtle about the iron islanders. These people pride themselves on raping and pillaging everything.

The effects were awesome.

Sansa lied to Jon because if she hadn't, Jon would have tried to enlist the Vale. I wouldn't have told him either. Littlefinger is a scumbag.

I rather appreciated the wink wink they did to Balon's death in the books. Coming out and openly admitting to killing Balon? "Now let's go kill my niece and nephew?" FFS.

No, the effects were not awesome. I hated the skeletons in s4e10 and I hate them now. Never mind the stupid fireballs.

If Sansa claims to trust Jon as much as she does, she would have told him but emphasized that Littlefinger is a scumbag, and I have enough faith in Jon's character that he would understand. Now it's just going to inevitably come out later and be a plot point of stupid drama.

Like I said, I've enjoyed this season thus far and I really wanted this episode to be good, but there was nothing redeeming about it. I've said my piece- going to stop complaining now.

Sansa lying to Jon was to show she's becoming cunning like Petyr Baelish.

Cunning by lying to your sibling who wants to help you take back your ancestral home. K.

Nah, family isn't important guys. Not like it isn't a main theme or anything.

Speevy

Banned
This episode... ugh.

Didn't particularly like the Kingsmoot and then... "Hold the door." It can only be better in the books, right?

Again, the prevailing theory about Hodor's name is that it's "Walder".

The idea that someone gets so traumatized that they start saying one word over and over is pretty stupid any way you slice it. At least the show did something with it.

devilhawk

Maybe the white walkers are truly just after the CotF but they need to increase their army to enable victory over the Children.

We have seen WW work with Craster.

Dany

Banned
Children created the white walkers to fight off man. They got to out of control...

How is this connected to the tree or tree man?

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Sansa knows about the mutiny at Castle Black, right? Her being like, "Don't worry, I'm safe with Jon." makes no sense, unless Jon skipped over that whole resurrection thing when they reunited.

devilhawk

Again, the prevailing theory about Hodor's name is that it's "Walder".

The idea that someone gets so traumatized that they start saying one word over and over is pretty stupid any way you slice it. At least the show did something with it.
Except expressive aphasia is a very real medical condition, so...

Chase17

Sansa knows about the mutiny at Castle Black, right? Her being like, "Don't worry, I'm safe with Jon." makes no sense, unless Jon skipped over that whole resurrection thing when they reunited.

Pretty sure she knows he got killed. I think it's just that she wanted to convince Brienne so she's telling her what she needs to hear.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Pretty sure the last remaining CotF just got offed.

Her Vasquezing her way out was stupid. She could've just thrown the thing...

The entire sequence was like, "let's get rid of things that burden our budget."

Pretty sure she knows he got killed. I think it's just that she wanted to convince Brienne so she's telling her what she needs to here.
I guess. But if I went through what Sansa did, I'd want Brienne with me at all times. Even in the privy.

Gigglepoo

I just realized that this White Walker revelation, if its indeed the same as in the books, means that they really just generic baddies out to murder everyone.

Way to be a hypocrite, GRRM.

Wait, what? They're human beings who were manipulated by another race into being slaves of war. How are they generic baddies? We were finally given a reason to empathize with them.

Saya

a single peel of the onion of the white walkers is peeled away and suddenly they are mindless evil baddies out to kill good guys

got it, spoilers thread

got it

Isn't that what the show implied? They were created just to destroy mankind because the COTF were under threat by man as well? Like some kind of Frankenstein monster that turned on their creators.

Perhaps when the Night's King started ruling them things became different.

Honestly, can someone explain the slavers/Tyrion deal to me? So he was like "remove slavery in 7 years" and they were like "okay"? I know they had to come up with some reason to not have the siege of Meereen but it seems kind of contrived.

I hope the red priestesses turn the entirety of Dany's army into a bunch of crazy radicals for maximum lolz. And Varys can just sit back and say "I told you so."

TheFatOne

Also good luck GoT writers for the show and Martin. Time travel is one of the hardest things to do correctly, and 90% of the time you see time travel it's to introduce deus ex machina bullshit.

Sheroking

Also good luck GoT writers for the show and Martin. Time travel is one of the hardest things to do correctly, and 90% of the time you see time travel it's to introduce deus ex machina bullshit.

Which is already explicably ruled out in Game of Thrones by the nature of the ability.

Pkaz01

I don't get why they spent so much effort trying to make Sansa look like she knows what he is doing and then have her say some shit like the Karstarks might still be loyal.. even Davos knows better and she calls him out for not knowing much about the north.

Flare

So Benjen/Coldjen/Benhands next episode? Also that mark Bran's carrying is gonna bring down the wall. Poor Bran.

Aside from a few minor quirks, this was a damn fine episode.

jaekeem

Honestly, can someone explain the slavers/Tyrion deal to me? So he was like "remove slavery in 7 years" and they were like "okay"? I know they had to come up with some reason to not have the siege of Meereen but it seems kind of contrived.

I hope the red priestesses turn the entirety of Dany's army into a bunch of crazy radicals for maximum lolz. And Varys can just sit back and say "I told you so."

His point is basically that 1) slavery is inefficient 2) slavery is on its way out.

So he gave them time to adjust to a world where slavery doesn't exist. Minimize the necessity for present conflict, whilst hopefully allowing their economies to transition gradually to minimize shock.

Isn't that what the show implied? They were created just to destroy mankind because the COTF were under threat by man as well? Like some kind of Frankenstein monster that turned on their creators.

Perhaps when the Night's King started ruling them things became different.
Like he realized the Watch couldn't hold back a mindless, raging army of the dead and so made a pact to rule them and keep them under control. But eventually it became too much and he lost control.

We're going full Arthas here.

Whatever it is there's going to be lots more to it than Frankenstein's monster.

"I rode north with the Night's of the Vale. They're at Moat Cailin as we speak."

Oh, I missed that bit. I assume he didn't mean they were just camping there. I dunno. It generally would seem odd that the Boltons wouldn't know about a host from the Vale, especially since they'd have to cross the Twins, where the Bolton ally Frey sits.

Fitts

So we're down to one wolf? And the latest death happened in the stupidest way possible?

Maaaaaaaan.... fuck this show and fuck those weird looking shit kids.

Wait, what? They're human beings who were manipulated by another race into being slaves of war. How are they generic baddies? We were finally given a reason to empathize with them.

Its basically the Flood from Halo, or the Apes from Congo, or the Terminators, or the Xenomorphs.

Point is, we've seen it a thousand times already "race created to be living weapons turn against their masters and now pose a threat to everything."

I expected more from GRRM.

Saya

Still can't believe how easy it was for Yara and Theon to steal ALL the ships. Reminded me of that scene earlier this season when Tyrion and Varys are casually walking down the street and find the whole fleet burning.

LordCanti

You held the door buddy ;o; you held it well. RIP.

I can't even begin to wrap my head around what Bran's ability means when you factor in his power to influence the past to this extent. Time travel always leaves a lot of gaps if the rules and limitations aren't explained so hopefully some of that is coming. So many past events could be Bran or the Three Eyed Raven (or any other greenseers) meddling and causing chaos.

Between Ho(ldthe)Do(o)r and the origin of the White Walkers, this was the most revealing episode yet. Still trying to process it.

Hodor :c

Still can't believe how easy it was for Yara and Theon to steal ALL the ships. Reminded me of that scene earlier this season when Tyrion and Varys are casually walking down the street and find the whole fleet burning.

I'm not sure I'd follow a leader that just let our entire fleet get stolen. I'd probably have real doubts about their leadership ability.

jaekeem

Its basically the Flood from Halo, or the Apes from Congo, or the Terminators, or the Xenomorphs.

Point is, we've seen it a thousand times already "race created to be living weapons turn against their masters and now pose a threat to everything."

I expected more from GRRM.

We only have basic details about their creation so far.

We know nothing about how they reached their present state. Seems a bit unfair to assume they're going to be so generic and tropey.

Jayof9s

That's pretty much literally the backstory of goblins/orcs in Tolkien. Only they started as elves and not humans that were tortured and twisted until they became what they are.

I thought he was in S2. But yes, he was a good casting choice they didn't give enough droll japes to.

In character, not a character.
In the books, Edd is nicknamed Dolorous Edd because he's always so cynical and dour. Was pretty spot on in this episode. In the prior ones, he was just a dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom