• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So Cold hands or Benjen returns next ep? No way Meera and a crippled boy and survive without someone
lUTExVi.jpg

This is fantastic.

Aurongel

I'm surprised more people aren't upset by the CotF creating the WW's reveal. That seemed really familiar and simplistic when I watched that scene. I was like, fucking really? That's not really an interesting origin at all if that's really all there is to it.

Sheroking

Comparing his headshot on IMDB to the guy in the scene, I think that it is, yeah.

It is.

They changed the actor, probably specifically because they needed someone to play an actual character and not just a menacing figure.

Which means that guy has a human backstory we'll probably see.

I actually tend to love time travel stuff but just feel it has no place in this world. admittedly I tend not to like the Bran stuff in the books or show because it's much more firmly in the fantastical realm that most other plots tend to stay on the outskirts of. I was drawn to how grounded the first book/season was and I always felt that Bran's story came from a different series entirely. Sure, there's dragons and wizards, but the dragons are rare and the wizards aren't even powerful enough for most people to believe they can do real magic. Bran being able to control animals and send his consciousness back in time just doesn't fit well with the world of GoT in my opinion.

Even in the books, while Bran's stuff is decidely more rooted in the magical, I always felt a bit for him because all that magical stuff comes at a cost. Like when Bran finally meets Bloodraven in the books, on one hand Bran can access the Weirwood internet but seeing Book Bloodraven as this decomposing corpse of a man with tree roots growing through him and knowing that's potentially your fate? Especially when Bran is just a kid in the books? That sort of sucks. At least there you have both sides of it- sure Bran can warg into things and see the past but in reality he's crippled and facing a future where he ends up like Bloodraven. TV Bran really doesn't have any of that going on. At least not this season. Which is maybe more reason why I wish they had Bran and Bloodraven in the show last year instead of Garbage Dorne.

Enough for Coldhands to show up and give them a ride to his forest hut on his giant elk.

Hell yeah. If they actually bring in Coldhands now, that would be great. Then again, it would be great if they bring in Stoneheart at this point too. Both of those cases would basically be nice surprises for book readers since they're characters you figured they were cutting from the show but the way they've jumbled up events, it would now make sense for them to show up if they wanted.

It is.

They changed the actor, probably specifically because they needed someone to play an actual character and not just a menacing figure.

I thought I had read the new Night's King actor is the same guy that did the sword work as Arthur Dayne in the Tower of Joy scene. Implying the Night's King might get down with some action this year.

Tubobutts

I'm surprised more people aren't upset by the CotF creating the WW's reveal. That seemed really familiar and simplistic when I watched that scene. I was like, fucking really? That's not really an interesting origin at all if that's really all there is to it.
I also don't like it and am hoping it will be different if the books ever come out.

void666

Banned
I think coldhands in some form is sure to be in the next episode.
And at this point i wouldn't be surprised if they use stoneheart too.

Any speculation on other unexplained events in the show/books that could've been influenced by Bran and will be revealed later? There has to be more, right?

Aurongel

I also don't like it and am hoping it will be different if the books ever come out.

That's a pretty fucking monumental differentiation between the books and the show if they diverge there. This isn't one character outliving another or certain characters existing altogether, this is literally the focal point for the end game opponent. So much would have to change around that if they end up being different.

I bet that's exactly how it'll go down in the books.
And I hate it.

Still unsure how The Children of the Forest were able to control the WW

They didn't lol. They went full Frankenstein's monster on them.

Burt

It is.

It'd be interesting to see what they come up with, because you can't have a Night's Watch before you have any Walkers, and so no book-accurate Night's King. Hope they do actually go for a backstory rather than just glossing over it as a cool/appropriate name that doesn't have any greater significance, because otherwise they just ruined that reveal for the book for no reason at all.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.

The whole series is about destroying tropes...plus we know there is probably more too them as well.

Artdayne

I know a lot of people think the reason Hodor got messed up was the time paradox warging and the seeing his death, but what about the possibliity that he became messed up because it was the first time someone warged into him? As most know, it's strictly prohibited to warg into a human being and maybe we saw why that is?

Madness

I thought the Hodor scene was fantastic. Made me emotional. Bran just a fucking moron. As is the three eyed Raven. Like what the fuck is wrong with you? 4 seasons to get Bran there and you can't give him a heads up to never let the white walkers touch you. What were you even teaching him? Just showing stupid glimpses of his dad in the past. Once Bran got touched and you say you need to leave immediately you go back on a warg mission and get everyone killed.

Bran is my most hated character now. I hate impulsivity and stupidity. Like asshole you got thrown out of a fucking window because you can't just chill and need to spy and know everything. Because you're bored you got all the CotF killed, Summer and then even sacrificed Hodor to give you a few seconds headstart. Jojen also died to get you there for what.

KahooTs

I think it's more likely than not we've already had some sort of time manipulation in the books in the bridge of dreams sequence. It seems someone rather powerful wasn't happy a Targaryen pretender went under the bridge unscathed, and decided to give some rather single minded stone men another shot at things.

XAL

That's a pretty fucking monumental differentiation between the books and the show if they diverge there. This isn't one character outliving another or certain characters existing altogether, this is literally the focal point for the end game opponent. So much would have to change around that if they end up being different.

And I hate it.

Well. It's simplified in the show to be sure.

There's all that lore about the Stark fucking a female walker (god) to become the Night's King. This was after they had been beaten back the first time.

The show just states that the children of the forest created the Night's King.

Underwhelming, and I hope a simplification of the whole thing.

I thought the Hodor scene was fantastic. Made me emotional. Bran just a fucking moron. As is the three eyed Raven. Like what the fuck is wrong with you? 4 seasons to get Bran there and you can't give him a heads up to never let the white walkers touch you. What were you even teaching him? Just showing stupid glimpses of his dad in the past. Once Bran got touched and you say you need to leave immediately you go back on a warg mission and get everyone killed.

Bran is my most hated character now. I hate impulsivity and stupidity. Like asshole you got thrown out of a fucking window because you can't just chill and need to spy and know everything. Because you're bored you got all the CotF killed, Summer and then even sacrificed Hodor to give you a few seconds headstart. Jojen also died to get you there for what.

Have you got that all out of your system?

Who is left in terms of Night's Watch characters still at the Wall?

We have Edd and... who else? Pretty much every other named Night's Watch character from the show has been killed off (Pip, Grenn, Thorne, Olly, Aemon, Mormont) and then Sam is off to Oldtowne, right?

GreyWind

And I hate it.

I guess yeah. I hope they reveal more.

Damn I still need to process tonight's episode. RIP Summer :(

LordCanti

Any speculation on other unexplained events in the show/books that could've been influenced by Bran and will be revealed later? There has to be more, right?

If he finishes the vision and realizes Jon's importance he could potentially be the one that goes back and gives a prophecy to Rhaegar.

Having said that, whatever he's going to do, he's already done it. Unless we're going to get into the realm of him having any choice in the matter at all which opens up all kinds of problems. I'm hoping that in the next episode he literally says "I knew it'd kill Hodor, I knew it'd fry his brain permanently, but I couldn't stop it". If he has agency over what he does in the past, all bets are off.

Because if you actually gave a shit, you wouldn't be watching.
How does that follow? I can see how the book unfolds and if it is different, if these idiots are doing interviews and going "ha,ha... GRR told us that it plays out exactly like that... Whoa!"that's totally different.

I wonder what Martin is thinking about this.

Ugh.

And fuck them for blatantly spoiling shit now. Why are they explaining what is and isn't from books yet to be released?

every major event that happens from now until the last day this show ends comes directly from GRRM. if the book readers stop giving them shit they wont have to defend the direction that the show is going. i think the same thing happened with the burning of Shireen and the death of stannis?

Madness

Ugh.

And fuck them for blatantly spoiling shit now. Why are they explaining what is and isn't from books yet to be released?

Because they probably have thousands of people give them shit. I'd do the same. Don't like Hold the Door/Hodor, blame GRRM. They don't have any duty not to spoil the books somehow explaining their show.

every major event that happens from now until the last day this show ends comes directly from GRRM. if the book readers stop giving them shit they wont have to defend the direction that the show is going.
They don't have to defend anything. The shows is extremely popular and far more popular than the books. Now, if they didn't do shit like Dorne, they probably wouldn't feel so compelled to explain.

munchie64

How does that follow? I can see how the book unfolds and if it is different, if these idiots are doing interviews and going "ha,ha... GRR told us that it plays out exactly like that... Whoa!"that's totally different.

The show is spoiling the books. That's obvious now. Them confirming the obvious nature in interviews does not make them "idiots".

better get used to it. by the end of this season we will have confirmation of R+L=J and possibly Benjen being coldhands before the book.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/05/23/game-of-thrones-major-hodor-reveal-came-from-george-rr-martin

"We had this meeting with George Martin where we're trying to get as much information as possible out of him, and probably the most shocking revelation he had for us was when he told us the origin of Hodor and how that name came about," said Benioff. "I just remember Dan and I looking at each other when he said that and just being like, 'Holy s--t.'"

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
D&D revealed in the post-show interview that Martin told them Hodor's backstory. But he didn't tell them how he's going to reveal it so that scene was all them (and great!).

So he revealed that Hodor = Hold the Door, but he didn't tell them that it was because of Meera telling him to hold the door so she and Bran could escape from the zombies? That part was made up?

Okay I guess I am confused about something.

Bran fucks up. Treebeard knows the Nights King is coming, and I'm assuming he knows how fast he can get there.

"You must become me, here's this menory from Winterfell with no dialogue about how this helps you in the future."

Did I miss something? It seems like they were only there so the Hodor thing could happen.

I thought that was really dumb too. "The Night's King is coming for you! You must leave this place Bran! But first lets go back in time a spend a few hours watching your dad and uncles swordfight as children!" Like...what?

It's really shitty, but this isn't the first time they've done it and to be honest, I think if GRRM cared he would tell them to stop.

Sheroking

I thought that was really dumb too. "The Night's King is coming for you! You must leave this place Bran! But first lets go back in time a spend a few hours watching your dad and uncles swordfight as children!" Like...what?

I suspect the next episode will clear this up.

I think Bran is getting all off the visions he needed to see before he could leave the tree. 3ER had to download that all onto him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom