• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
About LSH, besides the fact that it is an ongoing plot thread in the books, it was a really cool reveal, so there's that. I hope it happens. I'm surprised it hasn't yet in the show considering D&D love shock value scenes.

I liked the Hodor reveal. I always doubted the "hodor means something important!" theories but I thought it was really cool and well done.

XAL

Well.. D&D already confirmed Hodor's origins are straight from the GRRM so... streamlined or not, D&D are going to make sure the critical story beats match GRRM's story as close as possible.

I have no problem with Hold the Door.

I have issue with that simple ass reduction of the Children of the Forest straight up making the Night's King. When in the books, that clearly isn't the case considering there is a female WW that made the Night's King (corrupted Child of the Forest?)

Main story beats that were given at the time everything had to be written. GRRM changes his mind as he writes, so the general beats might have changed to some unknown degree.

Regardless of this, events in the books are highly different. Like Aegon and the Golden Company already in Westeros...So if the general thrust of the plot is basically the same - a lot of shit will be different, and there will be a lot more detail.

So I guess if anyone is disappointed there's still the books to look forward to.

I just hope this shit doesn't devolve into Bran traveling back in time and fucking things up only to realize his fuck ups were always meant to have occurred and he can't change the future.

Madouu

Wonderful episode, from start to finish. I was very critic of the previous episodes this season but this one is up in my top3 I believe.

I have issue with that simple ass reduction of the Children of the Forest straight up making the Night's King. When in the books, that clearly isn't the case considering there is a female WW that made the Night's King (corrupted Child of the Forest?)

Main story beats that were given at the time everything had to be written. GRRM changes his mind as he writes, so the general beats might have changed to some unknown degree.

Regardless of this, events in the books are highly different. Like Aegon and the Golden Company already in Westeros...So if the general thrust of the plot is basically the same - a lot of shit will be different, and there will be a lot more detail.

So I guess if anyone is disappointed there's still the books to look forward to.

I just hope this shit doesn't devolve into Bran traveling back in time and fucking things up only to realize his fuck ups were always meant to have occurred and he can't change the future.
First off, we have no idea if the nights king story is true.

Second the Nights King is just the name the show is giving the leader of the white walkers. I highly doubt they would have made that huge revelation up.

Knowing the Children of the Forest made the White Walkers is such a bummer. Supposedly they originate from the lands of always winter and that'd be more interesting. Uggh.. I feel like they've just been character assassinated. :(

I hope it's expanded on that the Children of the Forest made a White Walker to lead the actual naturally occurring ones but it backfired and the dude they stabbed became the Night King.

What the hell is all this Lord of Light and Lord of Darkness shit about now? Time for the show to just get dumb.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Loved it. Pour one out for my man Hodor.

And all these fools whining about book spoilers, I just don't get ya. I'm coming up to my 13th year of first reading SOFAI and honestly, fuck it. Martin isn't delivering. So who cares. We won't even have next book till after the next season at the earliest. And that is if he decides not to split the two into three. If you don't want to get spoiled. Don't watch the show or treat it as fanfiction. Martin still can change it any way he likes. For someone like me who is tired of his empty promises, I'm fucking happy.

Brakke

Banned
Dug it. I'm not psyched about time travel in general but it seems fairly limited in scope here. RIP, big guy. Also the Kingsmoot I liked but it is a shame we don't get crotchety-ass Damphair grumbling and proclaiming and being a curmudgeon. At this point it'd probably be a waste of precious time but I liked his brand of Crazy Old Coot in the books.

It's super frustrating that they didn't finish the Tower of Joy vision tho wtf...

You're conflating things. The dude from the legends in the books called Night's King isn't necessarily a White Walker. He may never even have existed at all. They've given this White Walker "King" in the show the name, but pretty much everything we know about him is different than everything we know about the Night's King from the books.

See: the book Night's King was Lord Commander of he Watch. He, obviously, post-dated the arrival of the White Walkers, since he was Watching a Wall built to keep the Walkers out.

Only thing that didn't really work for me this episode was the Euron stuff.
Same here. In the books, he's some badass pirate who bursts into the kingsmoot with a bunch of wizards and slaves and magical shit under his control, who seemed to have a lot of knowledge of the world other character lacked. He seemed like an important player. In the show, he just came across as a bit of a loser who starts ranting and is predictable enough for Yara and co to get the drop and fuck off with all the ships.

I always felt Bran was in some way the most important character, and from that, he "was" GRRM. From that, this newest development makes me feel like he is using Bran to make the overall story have a main backbone plot. I think the idea originally was just a short story, a scene he wrote, and it kept ballooning. Not trying to bash on the story in anyway, just makes me believe that he even wrote process of writing the story into the plot know.

Aurongel

Damn that's depressing.

I thought Shaggydog could be a trick due to size, but after Summer dying, it's most likely true.

Ghost and Nymeria left.
Northern conspiracy has been debunked at this point. Ramsay isn't going to get overthrown by the people who turned over Rickon. Shaggydog dead.

If the Night King can see Bran while he's warg-traveling, doesn't this mean he's also a Warg? It would explain why he could control, raise, etc an army of the dead.

Apt101

Knowing the Children of the Forest made the White Walkers is such a bummer. Supposedly they originate from the lands of always winter and that'd be more interesting. Uggh.. I feel like they've just been character assassinated. :(

I hope it's expanded on that the Children of the Forest made a White Walker to lead the actual naturally occurring ones but it backfired and the dude they stabbed became the Night King.

What the hell is all this Lord of Light and Lord of Darkness shit about now? Time for the show to just get dumb.

That scene may well have occurred in the area of The Lands of Always Winter, and the Children fled south. They would have fled past man, bringing the Walkers with them in their wake - where they came across man. The Last Hero in turn made his way south and encountered the Children, and a pact was made.

How they get from there to pushing the Walkers back and erecting the Wall, I dunno. I'm starting to think the comet has a lot to do with everything. Those stones they used to create the Walkers may be a piece of it, as was the meteorite that house Dayne used to forge Dawn. GRRM uses the word "milk" often when alluding to the Walkers, or during scenes with them. Dawn is "milkglass full of stars". I don't think it's all a coincidence. Of course none of this will mean shit in the show.

studyguy

Eh I'll shit on the show for awful dialogue and hokey scenes but all of that episode was good. The play was easily my favorite part. The Bran stuff literally just set off a powder keg of theories though. Tinfoil is out there hard now.

I thought a lot of the scene with Bran looked pretty bad CG wise and the chase looked silly but this is made for TV not a blockbuster so w/e. Gimme dat benjen tho

The CoTF reveal was kinda underwhelming.

If they really created the WW from men, who then went crazy and made everything cold as fuck, is that what causes irregular seasons? We know that the tree/altar they created them is all snowed in, and may have even been the place that the Nights King made the baby into a walker.

Overall though, for such a large reveal, it just felt like there was no build up or anything. There's still obviously a lot to find out, but damn. All those years of reading the books and waiting...and being underwhelmed lol.

Hold the door I have mixed feelings on. Time travel is always weird, but wasn't it established in the books too somewhat? I recall Bran watching Ned Stark and Ned seeming to hear him? Or was that only Theon?

That scene was sad though. :( Made Hodor into the ultimate tragedy.

That scene may well have occurred in the area of The Lands of Always Winter, and the Children fled south. They would have fled past man, bringing the Walkers with them in their wake - where they came across man. The Last Hero in turn made his way south and encountered the Children, and a pact was made.

How they get from there to pushing the Walkers back and erecting the Wall, I dunno. I'm starting to think the comet has a lot to do with everything. Those stones they used to create the Walkers may be a piece of it, as was the meteorite that house Dayne used to forge Dawn. GRRM uses the word "milk" often when alluding to the Walkers, or during scenes with them. Dawn is "milkglass full of stars". I don't think it's all a coincidence. Of course none of this will mean shit in the show.

I-am-not-saying.jpg

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I think it's dumb that it was revealed that Hodor has been saying 'Hodor' forever because at the end of his life a girl shouted 'hold the door' over and over while his body was being controlled by a young boy who's consciousness was in the past where a young Hodor was because an ancient raven/tree man was helping the boy ascend to his position as mystical tree man during an assault by ice skeletons and zombies that had discovered the location of the boy and tree man because the king of the ice skeletons had touched the boy's hand during a dream.
Why?
Becuase the whole show is arguably dumb or what?

Apt101

I recall Bran watching Ned Stark and Ned seeming to hear him? Or was that only Theon?

Both. Ned seemed to sense he was there as he was oiling his sword. Theon thought the wind whispered his name through the leaves (I.E. how the Children's native language is reported to have sounded, like the wind in leaves or the rushing water, sounds of nature).

Vespene

Nights King probably earned the title from another wight before him. Or maybe the original white walker passed on his mantle to that guy. Or the pale blue eyed woman was sent by the original king to create a new one. Who knows? The point is that the children of the forest created the white walkers, not that they created the nights king.

Nights King probably earned the title from another wight before him. Or maybe the original white walker passed on his mantle to that guy. Or the pale blue eyed woman was sent by the original king to create a new one. Who knows? The point is that the children of the forest created the white walkers, not that they created the nights king.

Maybe the Night's King is Bran the Builder?

Brakke

Banned

"Wights" are the zombies. Can't use "wight" and "White Walker" interchangeably.

golem

Liked the episode.

Why were Bran and Bloodraven in the past again? What were they watching for, or was the whole point of it just for BR to show Bran how he can manipulate time?

XAL

Yeah I understand the general beats are the same.

I guess I'm kind of disappointed with the simplification/streamlining of things. A lot of what makes stuff from the books so great is the detail and care, so while the Children making the White Walkers is essentially the same outcome - there is no detail of the creation of WW through the failed genocide, then the resurgence via the white woman and the Night King's creation, etc (stuff I'm sure will be covered in the books because it wasn't streamlined there).

Lmao hodor origins

Really fun episode but the show has just gone into full fantasy schlock mode now. I remember a few seasons ago it was a halfway decent gritty fantasy drama with a lot of political scheming and shit. And now we got little goblins throwing pumpkin bombs at skeletons and hodor time travel fuckery......

Aurongel

Liked the episode.

Why were Bran and Bloodraven in the past again? What were they watching for, or was the whole point of it just for BR to show Bran how he can manipulate time?
They were there to meet the requirements to fulfill the loop. They were there because they were always going to be there.

Tiktaalik

It is an extreme act the Children of the Forest making the white walkers to defend themselves against the First Men but this fairly consistent with their character given that they also flooded the Stepstones.

Kozak

Banned
Lmao hodor origins

Really fun episode but the show has just gone into full fantasy schlock mode now. I remember a few seasons ago it was a halfway decent gritty fantasy drama with a lot of political scheming and shit. And now we got little goblins throwing pumpkin bombs at skeletons and hodor time travel fuckery......

It was always heading in that direction though.

We're supposed to recognize how ignorant all the of that Political scheming is because we've seen whats coming.

Its just that we fucken love a bit of gossip and backstabbery and forget aye

dabig2

You guys know that whole grand maester conspiracy to end all magic? I'm fully on-board such a plan now if it exists. Fuck magic! Bran magically stole away a boy's entire life and some other failed magic experiments want to bring about a zombie apocalypse. Now they'll need to use the magic of dragons, nuclear bombs for these medieval times, just to have a chance. And dragons in the hands of the wrong person can be just as devastating as the zombie apocalypse they're all currently facing! Not to mention the popular theory that the entire seasons being so long is likely magical in nature. Sucks to be a regular joe in Planetos. Shit.

Great episode btw. The Kingsmoot was hilariously dumb though and I think I'll go reread it in the books to wash the stink off, but I don't hate the show for getting it out of the way. Honestly the only thing that matters and has always mattered has been the things happening north of the Wall and I'm happy they devoted a lot of time to it this episode. But fuck Summer dying like that. Didn't even slow em down. Should have been a grander exit, but I guess budget concerns.

Oh yeah, not really a big fan of the WWs being failed CotF experiments. It was a popular theory for years, but to see how it played out here was a little disappointing. I was hoping The Others would be more primordial then just being some out of control, last ditch experiment by a bunch of non-greenseer CotF against the First Men.

Brakke

Banned
Yeah I understand the general beats are the same.

I guess I'm kind of disappointed with the simplification/streamlining of things. A lot of what makes stuff from the books so great is the detail and care, so while the Children making the White Walkers is essentially the same outcome - there is no detail of the creation of WW through the failed genocide, then the resurgence via the white woman and the Night King's creation, etc (stuff I'm sure will be covered in the books because it wasn't streamlined there).

Y'all memories are fuzzy af on the Night's King of the books. Nobody ever implies that the white woman brought on a resurgence of the Others.

Lmao hodor origins

Little goblins threw pumpkin bombs two seasons ago...

It was always heading in that direction though.

We're supposed to recognize how ignorant all the of that Political scheming is because we've seen whats coming.

Its just that we fucken love a bit of gossip and backstabbery and forget aye

Yeah but it was always so miniscule in focus in the books that it just feels like it's changed direction so drastically now. All of a sudden bran is the key to everything

Whatever. I'm having fun with it but honestly this book series peaked with tywins death and the show peaked with Joffrey's.

RaidenZR

The CoTF reveal was kinda underwhelming.

If they really created the WW from men, who then went crazy and made everything cold as fuck, is that what causes irregular seasons? We know that the tree/altar they created them is all snowed in, and may have even been the place that the Nights King made the baby into a walker.

Overall though, for such a large reveal, it just felt like there was no build up or anything. There's still obviously a lot to find out, but damn. All those years of reading the books and waiting...and being underwhelmed lol.

Hold the door I have mixed feelings on. Time travel is always weird, but wasn't it established in the books too somewhat? I recall Bran watching Ned Stark and Ned seeming to hear him? Or was that only Theon?

That scene was sad though. :( Made Hodor into the ultimate tragedy.

There is also a part in ACOK (I think) where Jon is describing a wolf dream, having warged as Ghost in his sleep, and hears Bran speak to him through a weirwood tree. It blew my mind on a second read post-ADWD where I realized what was happening.

A Clash of Kings said:
A weirwood.
It seemed to sprout from solid rock, its pale roots twisting up from a myriad of fissures and hairline cracks. The tree was slender compared to other weirdwoods he had seen, no more than a sapling, yet it was growing as he watched, its limbs thickening as they reached for the sky. Wary, he circled the smooth white trunk until he came to the face. Red eyes looked at him. Fierce eyes they were, yet glad to see him. The weirdwood had his brother's face. Had his brother always had three eyes?
Not always, came the silent shout. Not before the crow.
He sniffed at the bark, smelled wolf and tree and boy, but behind that there were other scents, the rich brown smell of warm earth and the hard grey smell of stone and something else, something terrible. Death, he knew. He was smelling death. He cringed back, his hair bristling, and bared his fangs.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Thinking about it some more, I think my problem with Hold the Door is that Hodor's name wasn't something I needed expounded upon. Like the Lost episode of Jack's tattoo. It's not something I really cared about. Putting that aside though, I didn't like how they had young Hodor blend the phrase down to his name. I was able to put two and two together when he was physically holding the door and Meera kept repeating it. Thought the seizure with him on repeat was hokey. Amateurish.

I've sat with it for a few hours. Don't mind the concept. I'm just hoping it's better executed in the books.

B33

Banned
Thinking about it some more, I think my problem with Hold the Door is that Hodor's name wasn't something I needed expounded upon. Like the Lost episode of Jack's tattoo. It's not something I really cared about. Putting that aside though, I didn't like how they had to have young Hodor blend the phrase down to his name. I was able to put two and two together when he was physically holding the door and Meera kept repeating it. Thought the seizure with him on repeat was hokey. Amateurish.

I've sat with it for a few hours. Don't mind the concept. I'm just hoping it's better executed in the books.

I wouldn't set myself up for disappointment like that.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
We all said it last year but Littlefinger's scheme in the show makes no sense now that its come full circle
This was always going to be Littlefinger's downfall though. Despite talking about chaos being a ladder, he over relies upon manipulating people for the sake of manipulating people.

Kozak

Banned
Yeah but it was always so miniscule in focus in the books that it just feels like it's changed direction so drastically now. All of a sudden bran is the key to everything

Whatever. I'm having fun with it but honestly this book series peaked with tywins death and the show peaked with Joffrey's.

Mmm yea I don't doubt it will be a smoother, cleaner, transition to that stuff in the books.

Still, I blame GRRM more than D&D that they've had to rush into this stuff. Should've been a contingency plan for the lack of written material.

jett

D-Member
Lmao hodor origins

Hodor Begins

(5 seconds later)

Hodor Ends

XAL

Y'all memories are fuzzy af on the Night's King of the books. Nobody ever implies that the white woman brought on a resurgence of the Others.

Little goblins threw pumpkin bombs two seasons ago...

The Night's King didn't exist as a character in the books until after the wall was built. It took the might of two armies to defeat the Night's King, unclear if he died - just said "defeated". If he escaped beyond the wall, it can be assumed that he is responsible for the resurgence currently happening (taking more children sacrifices in, as he was known to do) - considering the show adopted this character's name for the leader, it can be assumed he's still around. In the books there is historical record of this character, so it wasn't just a myth.

The show uses the Night's King to describe the first white walker/leader of the white walkers. (The actor tied to the tree is credited as Night's King)

So the show isn't following the books, streamlining it so that there has always ever been one leader - the first white walker. Disregarding the Night's King from the books entirely to simplify things for exposition's sake.

Joni

Very much enjoyed the episode, especially the Hold the Door reveal. Without it, Hodor is just a one note character that has no real place in the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom