• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaidenZR

As a book reader, I thought the Hodor thing was pretty emotional for me. Fairly powerful if you let yourself buy into the moment and the concept. I think Kristian Nairn and young Hodor actor did a good job. I have had the misfortune of seeing people have both, a seizure and an epileptic fit, and it felt accurately disarming / disturbing.

That said, the execution of other things in this episode felt all over the place. The Children of the Forest just don't feel or look special / foreign enough. I'm sure they spent a good deal of time on makeup, prosthetics, and casting for facial features, but they don't pay off on screen. I just see young chicks in Halloween makeup. Plus, the fireball grenades and skeleton shit needs to go. I don't even care if that's faithful to something George is writing... It completely breaks the immersion of the show, just like it did at the end of season 4. After Hardhome, it all looks like a big step backwards.

And I see people praising Bender but there were way too many jarring shots. There was definitely and overuse of overhead angles that came out of nowhere and didn't make much sense. Besides recognizing the spiral pattern use in the Children of the Forest's rock grotto, I didn't get much out of them and they came off as distracting. The overhead shot for Arya's stave fight with the Waif (why the fuck is the Waif so goddamned badass in the show?) didn't inform me of anything. And they already established Ring Out perimeters in a previous episode.

It's also nice gesture that they tried to bring back the creepiness and mysteriousness of Varys' backstory from the books, but they already made an almost joke scene out of that sorcerer getting crated to King's Landing a few seasons ago, so that scene with the Red Priestess just fell completely flat for me. Dramatic music and potent stares can't help erase the past.

And yeah, queue the internet now making Bran responsible for every off-screen event that happened in the history of Westeros.

WOW.

I'm about to lose my mind having just read this.

GC9YR4q.png

GIF-Mind-Blown-Mindfuck-Jaw-drop-Surprised-Surprise-Amazed-WTF-DAFUQ-What-Say-what-GIF.gif

GreyWind

tumblr_o7lxutAaS11s95j2so7_250.gif

I'm really curious though. Did they knew about the risks of transforming a human into a WW? or maybe they had a plan and it went wrong? So many questions...

cj_iwakura

I kind of love how much the show nails the pettiness of the war over the Seven Kingdoms by showing how terrifying the real threat is.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Sansa calling out Littlefinger for sending her to Ramsay was amusing: "If you didn't know, you're an idiot. If you did know, you're my enemy." It was clearly just Cogman's response to the negative fan reaction to that storyline last season, but I'll grant him that it was actually a pretty funny and satisfying scene.

Also, I actually like how much time they've dedicated to Arya's training in these last few episodes. Sure, it's extremely repetitive and kind of boring to watch her train over and over again with the bo staff and answering the same "Who are you? No one." question a million times, but seeing her incrementally improve each week makes the character actually feel like she's on a journey, which is rare for a show that so often likes to jump characters straight from point A to C.

kirblar

We're now doing Riverlands after all this time?

Jaime is so dying there (and it's the reason why they pushed it off in the show.)

Meera shattering a walker makes me think R + L = J + M is the reveal as well.

Sansa calling out Littlefinger for sending her to Ramsay was amusing: "If you didn't know, you're an idiot. If you did know, you're my enemy." It was clearly just Cogman's response to the negative fan reaction to that storyline last season, but I'll grant him that it was actually a pretty funny and satisfying scene.

Also, I actually like how much time they've dedicated to Arya's training in these last few episodes. Sure, it's extremely repetitive and kind of boring to watch her train over and over again with the bo staff and answering the same "Who are you? No one." question a million times, but seeing her incrementally improve each week makes the character actually feel like she's on a journey, which is rare for a show that so often likes to jump characters straight from point A to C.
But it seems like they're building toward arya ditching the faceless men. Unless she ditches and then does something and it was alllllll part of the training and she passes.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces

I'm just glad she didn't cheat her way though the blindness, although it played out differently here.

Drazgul

I'm really curious though. Did they knew about the risks of transforming a human into a WW? or maybe they had a plan and it went wrong? So many questions...

Sucks if we won't be seeing more of them; I really like that new revamped design, way better than the old one.

Burt

Am I the only person who thought that Gendry finally made it somewhere for a second when that dude asked Edd if they should close the gate?

I really want to know what the hell they were thinking. They made a super weapon thinking they could control it?

Am I the only person who thought that Gendry finally made it somewhere for a second when that dude asked Edd if they should close the gate?

Hahahaha, I thought so too.

WOW.

I'm about to lose my mind having just read this.

GC9YR4q.png

I hope this is how it happens.

She's realizing they're basically doing dirty work as mercenaries, not what 'needs to be done'.
It's basically like when Bruce Wayne chooses not to kill that farmer that r'az al ghoul orders him to kill because he was seeking justice and that was just unnecessary murder. So he ditches the league of shadows and even offs the one that trained him. What I'm saying is, Arya will go back to westeros and become batman.

Apt101

Except Bloodraven is no where near old enough to be that guy.

THE FLOODGATES FOR DUMB FUCK THEORIES HAVE OPENED

Remember that the TV show is a very very very streamlined version of the books..

I don't understand why not. Brynden Rivers is at least 115 years older than Bran. He lived supernaturally long.

Probably not. They seemed to play with extremely powerful magic fast and loose, like when they fucked up and flooded the Neck.

Except Bloodraven is no where near old enough to be that guy.

THE FLOODGATES FOR DUMB FUCK THEORIES HAVE OPENED

Remember that the TV show is a very very very streamlined version of the books..

Well.. D&D already confirmed Hodor's origins are straight from the GRRM so... streamlined or not, D&D are going to make sure the critical story beats match GRRM's story as close as possible.

Apt101

We all said it last year but Littlefinger's scheme in the show makes no sense now that its come full circle

I said a long time ago I think Petyr is going to mirror manipulative power mongers in the past who eventually began to miss the forest for the trees and manipulates his way into his own demise.

Tabris

I didn't read the books but read spoilers that kept me to this thread, so this question may have a different perspective.

But what story function does having LSH have at this point? Seems a bit pointless to me.

Dysun

I didn't read the books but read spoilers that kept me to this thread, so this question may have a different perspective.

But what story function does having LSH have at this point? Seems a bit pointless to me.

Almost all of the story lines in the show outside of the Whitewalkers and Dragons are pointless really

Those theories are alright as BOOK theories I guess. But go talk to an average show viewer

"OMG what if Bran was Bran the Builder?!"
"Who dat?"

What if he was "Azor Ahai?!"
"Haha yea!... Who?"

"Bran is the voices in the Mad Kings head!!"
"Mad King? Oh yea, so what?"

The show seems too streamlined for that. And honestly Bran causing everything important that has ever happened is kind of lame.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was true though.

Madness

None really. It would have mattered right after the Red Wedding. But so many people forgot Rickon. They probably don't even remember Catelyn enough.

I think Benjen Stark will rescue Bran now. He has to. Where else are a teen girl and a crippled boy in a blizzard going to be saved. They wouldn't use Coldhands now.

btrboyev

Well..it could possibly explain the blackfish thing in River run...but I doubt it

studyguy

Just finished the episode.

LOCAL BRAN RUINS EVERYTHING. Seems so fitting now that we're mindfucking time.

Also gotta keep that CGI budget in check w/ murdering direwolves.

Hmmm... what if Jorah cures his Greyscale arm by trading it in for a LAVA arm?

Kill Brienne and/or Jaime or the Freys? Show a bit of the ugly side of being resurrected?
She maybe becomes relevant mostly because it seems like the show is going back to the Riverlands with Brienne, Blackfish and probably Jaime and the Freys.

Burt

She is, in that she hasn't done anything necessary or that isn't capable of being accomplished by other people. Beric Dondarrion demonstrated revival, Brynden Tully is apparently resisting in the Riverlands just fine, and the Jamie/Brienne moral quandary isn't being tackled in the show as if yet. She could, and likely will, be something important down the line, but the character's basically one step above Darkstar in terms of usefulness at this point in the books.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
There have been a few good episodes this season but this episode was really good. Best in a long time.

The stage play, Hodor, and so many other nice little touches. Now we need all coming episodes to be like this one.

kazinova

I hated the Hodor reveal. Apparently that's straight from GRRM? I think that I won't want to read the books by the time the show ends.

Which is okay, since they are never getting released anyways.

Whelp, my day has been ruined.

Hazmat

I'm usually cynical, but you guys are way outdoing me. I thought the ending with Hodor was excellent. If this hadn't happened, no one could have gotten Bran and Rickon out of Winterfell, let alone north of the wall. A big boy with a broken life because his destiny was to hold the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom