• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
There is also a part in ACOK (I think) where Jon is describing a wolf dream, having warged as Ghost in his sleep, and hears Bran speak to him through a weirwood tree. It blew my mind on a second read post-ADWD where I realized what was happening.

That's great.

Maybe there's some truth to the entire universe revolving around Bran.

Madness

I kind of love how much the show nails the pettiness of the war over the Seven Kingdoms by showing how terrifying the real threat is.

It doesn't really though. Only Hardhome nailed the real threat of the White Walkers and maybe this recent scene. Otherwise all we got a black screen and sounds for the Nights Watch defeat at the Fist.

Now that I think about it. The only theory I like is that Bran turned the Mad King mad, wildfire and Burn Them All representing him knowing the white walkers are coming etc.

duckroll

Come on guys this was the best episode in the season so far. Even with limited budget, hilariously bad fantasy effects, the saddest Kingsmoot ever, and time travel fuckery, Jack Bender did it!!!!!

Oh shit, the trolls are coming.

HOLD THE DOOR!

Gigglepoo

So he revealed that Hodor = Hold the Door, but he didn't tell them that it was because of Meera telling him to hold the door so she and Bran could escape from the zombies? That part was made up?

Sounds like it. It makes sense that Martin knows the backstory but not the way things happen until he writes it.

munchie64

Come on guys this was the best episode in the season so far. Even with limited budget, hilariously bad fantasy effects, the saddest Kingsmoot ever, and time travel fuckery, Jack Bender did it!!!!!

HOLD THE DOOR!
I thought the effects were pretty decent actually. That shot with the wights climbing up the tree was awesome.

Brakke

Banned
The Night's King didn't exist as a character in the books until after the wall was built. It took the might of two armies to defeat the Night's King, unclear if he died - just said "defeated". If he escaped beyond the wall, it can be assumed that he is responsible for the resurgence currently happening (taking more children sacrifices in, as he was known to do) - considering the show adopted this character's name for the leader, it can be assumed he's still around. In the books there is historical record of this character, so it wasn't just a myth.

The show uses the Night's King to describe the first white walker/leader of the white walkers. (The actor tied to the tree is credited as Night's King)

So the show isn't following the books, streamlining it so that there has always ever been one leader - the first white walker. Disregarding the Night's King from the books entirely to simplify things for exposition's sake.

I don't really get this "resurgence" you're talking about. The books' Night's King was 13th Lord Commander of the Watch; Jon Snow is like 998th or whatever. Also the show might've just taken his name because it's a badass name. There's not really any reason to assume that the show guy is related to the legend in the books.

I can't parse your last paragraph there.

mantidor

I'm ok with "hold the door". is the kind of thing that works great in written form and kind of poorly in show form, it still made sense and it was sad.

Sansa and Littlefingers teleporters were amusing as well, Brienne's "lady Stark asked you something, answer" line was everything.

Summer :(((

Madness

Hodor now officially has one of the most tragic stories in the show. Bran literally wargs into and sacrifices him unto death because of his own stupidity. Not only did he effectively kill Hodor but also killed any future Wylis had.

Aurongel

I'm ok with "hold the door". is the kind of thing that works great in written form and kind of poorly in show form, it still made sense and it was sad.

Sansa and Littlefingers teleporters were amusing as well, Brienne's "lady Stark asked you something, answer" line was everything.

Summer :(((
The cutting back and forth between the creation and death of Hodor isn't really something you can get outside of a visual medium. That was the most effective part of the final scene for me. It's all in the editing.

Saya

With such a large army, you would think the White Walkers would've surrounded the cave hill. Instead, they were all at the front entrance.

duckroll

The episode was really packed with "we're leaping forward to the next part of the story" stuff.

- The Sansa stuff makes it very clear where the rest of the season will be for their arc until the Battle of the Bastards. She'll be rallying forces with Jon, while Brienne will head to Riverrun. If they do Jaime's stuff from the books finally, it means they'll meet again.

- Arya's mission is based on material from the next book, so hopefully after this we'll have a firm idea of what her role in the rest of the story will be.

- Dany's mission for Jorah seems to suggest the stone people will be of some importance in the end game. Otherwise I think the show would have just offed him by now.

- The origin of the White Walkers, the end of Summer, and HOLD THE DOOR are all massive mythos reveals which should have somewhat similar versions in the books. So if they're dishing all this out now, it means they're ready for the bigger reveals later this season. Tower of Joy will probably be the final vision in the finale.

The wildfire one was good :(

Yeah, and look what happened there. Blew their explosions budget for all 8 seasons! :D

HOLD THE DOOR!

lmao omg i didn't even realize he's directing episodes of the show now. This episode reminded me a lot of Lost tbh, particularly the one where we find out about Jack's tattoo....

duckroll

lmao omg i didn't even realize he's directing episodes of the show now. This episode reminded me a lot of Lost tbh, particularly the one where we find out about Jack's tattoo....

Wow what the fuck! You take that back! There's no Bai Ling here!!!!! :(

He's doing next week's episode too!

Could have been a good idea for the CoTF to start throwing those firebombs at the entrance of the cave to block the advance instead of just randomly throwing them.

mr.beers

I like the idea of Hodor = Hold the Door. The emotional impact was killed for me when Summer died so easily/conveniently. Was it shown before that WW's defy gravity and run on walls/ceilings? I may have missed that. Then the CotF needlessly offing herself. So many things didn't gel with me.

Turin

Banned
I would be so pleased if we never saw Jorah again. That'd be a really nice little ending for him.

Maybe it's just a clever way for Dany to keep him banished.

"Yeah, you get that cure, Jorah!"

*Shows up a year later cured*

"For fucks sake!"

Maengun1

Man this show treats the direwolves like garbage. I get it, CGI = $$$, but I hate it. I'm mostly just going with the flow at this point as far as enjoying the show, but I need better than this with the wolves when the book finally comes out.

I thought this episode was dope. as. fuck. I love time travel bullshit and found the big Hodor reveal/death incredibly tragic. SUMMER ;_;

I wish that was Jorah's last scene, that's a great sendoff. I'm already dreading that plot, whatever it is...

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Oh yeah, I thought the Braavosi play was fun. I liked that they kept the Tyrion -> Joffrey slap. :D

Too bad the show cut out all the jesters and mummers and whatnot from the previous seasons, or mayhaps we would have gotten a few similarly amusing scenes before tonight's episode.

mantidor

Man this show treats the direwolves like garbage. I get it, CGI = $$$, but I hate it. I'm mostly just going with the flow at this point as far as enjoying the show, but I need better than this with the wolves when the book finally comes out.

For sure, this is really the only disappointing thing this season. I'm pretty sure the direwolves will have longer lifespans in the books.

Moff

I was amazed by the hodor reveal

one of the best scenes in the entire show, brilliant, emotional and well shot and edited.

I am suprised how many disliked it and think/hope that it's not form the books. it obviously is, it's way too smart for D&D. it was a great twist and explanation to one of the sagas biggest secrets in my opinion.

on the other hand I am surprised no one mentioned how much they wasted bloodraven. supposedly one of the most powerful beings in the world and we never got to know who he is and what he wants. very bad.

and why is everyone talking about coldhands? is that a preview spoiler?

dabig2

I would be so pleased if we never saw Jorah again. That'd be a really nice little ending for him.

I wonder if they Victarion him. He meets a red priest somewhere, they do some magic voodoo to his arm, and voila!

Dany: Jorah, you're back! Did you cur...wtf! Why is your arm charred and smoking?!
Jorah: Don't worry Khaleesi, it's fine. This is fine!

Brakke

Banned
The play was a little silly because here's this mummer crew just across the sea fucking up basic details about the Lannister Coup but meanwhile Varys has accurate knowledge of the death of Stannis. People hundreds of miles apart have access to weirdly reliable information about each other. I suppose the show already has so many threads going on that *also* keeping track of someone's misunderstanding of one of those threads might cause it to collapse on itself... but still.

B33

Banned
I was amazed by the hodor reveal

one of the best scenes in the entire show, brilliant, emotional and well shot and edited.

I am suprised how many disliked it and think/hope that it's not form the books. it obviously is, it's way too smart for D&D. it was a great twist and explanation to one of the sagas biggest secrets in my opinion.

on the other hand I am surprised no one mentioned how much they wasted bloodraven. supposedly one of the most powerful beings in the world and we never got to know who he is and what he wants. very bad.

and why is everyone talking about coldhands? is that a preview spoiler?

Kind of.

The preview shows Meera and Bran being pursued by Wights and White Walkers. Book readers are assuming it'd be an ideal time to introduce Coldhands.

Turin

Banned

Yeah. Ghost seems to be the only direwolf they give half a fuck about.

Maybe Nymeria will show up like the token addition Beorn was in The Battle of Five Armies.

Aurongel

In the world of GoT, Jorah got it gooood now for a guy who's basically got a death sentence. Very few characters get redemption in the way he did, plus they got at least two shots of Daario looking legit shook when he saw how moved Dany was.

So good.

Moff

Kind of.

The preview shows Meera and Bran being pursued by Wights and White Walkers. Book readers are assuming it'd be an ideal time to introduce Coldhands.

I wouldn't get my hopes up, what else would they be doing next?

Or maybe they're not really important to the overall plot and just another random bit of world building that George put in and never had any idea of what to do with .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom