• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
My only gripe with the episode is as someone else said; That essentially D&D are using the Direwolves as fodder. Its annoying. Why wouldn't Summer run?

I swear if Ghost if doesn't survive I'm gonna go nuts

Feels like as great as this season has been a lot of it has been about cutting the CG budget. We've barely seen the dragons although they're talked about constantly and the we seem to be losing a wolf an episode now :(

At least we're getting tons of gross ice zombies though...

And on the subject of zombies, it almost got lost for me with everything else going on but Brienne getting sent back to the Riverlands can only mean one thing. It's about to happen isn't it?

Is Zombie Cat a dish that's best served cold?

Having Theon and Yara be the ones to deliver Dany the Iron Fleet works so much better than having Victarion do it. Yet another example of the show making common sense improvements over the source material.

But what's their reasoning? Is it just because Urine plans to do it? I guess they're going to go there and be liie "hey our evil uncle wants to bang you and take over the world with his ships, have our ships instead."

Granted the whole thing is pretty dumb. Like apparently they took the entire fleet without any Urine supporters noticing other bothering to report it lol. Dumb stuff like this kind of balances out with the actual good stuff this show has done this season.

TER not being Rivers (in the show) is weird, why bother claiming he is 1000 years old when you could just hand wave all that away by stating he is a former NW / Targ bastard, it raises less questions.

Huh... yeah, I guess I never realized that in the show they never did anything to actually make it clear that the Three Eyed Raven was Brynden Rivers. I guess that line he had last episode about waiting there for a 1000 years or whatever seemed odd if he was Bloodraven, since Bloodraven would only be 100+ years old in the books.

More and more its little stuff like that which bugs me with the show. Characterization stuff that seems like they would be easy fixes that the show just (willfully?) ignores.

Feels like as great as this season has been a lot of it has been about cutting the CG budget. We've barely seen the dragons although they're talked about constantly and the we seem to be losing a wolf an episode now :(

At least we're getting tons of gross ice zombies though...

I get sad when the direwolves die off because they're good dogs and not completely overpowered.

As to the dragons, mostly because Dany is so completely overpowered in the show, I will be THRILLED when/if her dragons get killed off or turn on her. Dany is right up there with Ramsay and Brienne as my least liked characters on the show right now. All the other characters are waist deep in shit and have had some terrible shit to get through and yet those 3 just seem to breeze through everything while barely suffering any losses.

And on the subject of zombies, it almost got lost for me with everything else going on but Brienne getting sent back to the Riverlands can only mean one thing. It's about to happen isn't it?

Is Zombie Cat a dish that's best served cold?

I hope so. Would be equally surprising I think for book and show watchers, maybe for different reasons.

Summer dying was definitely for budget reasons. I can't think of another reason for such a pointless death. Even fucking Vasquez of the Forest had a more meaningful death.

Jorah is definitely getting Victarion's lava arm isn't he? I feel that a lava arm is too cool for Jorah.

Came here to see if anyone else was thinking this. With no Victarion I could definitely see it happening.

Ratrat

Having Theon and Yara be the ones to deliver Dany the Iron Fleet works so much better than having Victarion do it. Yet another example of the show making common sense improvements over the source material.
It doesn't make much sense that she can just steal the fleet when she couldn't rally enough support to be queen. How long was Euron being drowned for them to even pull that off without anyone noticing?

Like, if she had so many loyal men to man these ships, she should have had Euron executed instead of 'fleeing' with the entire fleet as if he could stop them.

What does Yara even want? In the books she wants peace, but if she's going to Mereen, she is essentially declaring war on the Iron Throne...on a whim. What exactly does Dany give her in return?

Lothar

Banned
I haven't read all of the posts yet but I didn't like it. There's too much in every single that feels off from bad writing and seems stupid and lazy. Tyrion sending off for the priestess of Volantis and getting her in the next scene. Littlefinger making it to the Wall from the Vale in one episode. Sansa expects Brienne to teleport to Riverrun, and she will do that. Euron is probably going to magically make 1000 ships in enough time to catch up to Theon and Yara. Everyone yet again being okay with the leader's family member killing the leader and taking his place. Everyone instantly going from supporting to Yara to agreeing to kill her in a second.

I can't stand the fireball throwing Childen of the forest. But I hate that in the books too. That feels like LOTR or Harry Potter. Also if that's the best explanation for the White Walkers, then it would be better to have no explanation. Hodor -> Hold the door was embarrassing.

I liked the scene with Dany and Jorah, and the talk between Sansa and Littlefinger. But that's it.

They talked about it on the Behind the Episode feature. D&D said that it's just to show that the pattern was part of the original ritual which created them, so presumably that magic continues to be a pattern the White Walkers themselves also use. Same root origin.

WHoRTbm.gif

No one wants to remember this. LOL.

Yea, but didn't one of the Forest Children toss a grenade at him to blow him into little bits at the last second?

rdytoroll

Thanks for always putting these links together btw. I always love to read the interviews after the episodes

Eidan

But what's their reasoning? Is it just because Urine plans to do it? I guess they're going to go there and be liie "hey our evil uncle wants to bang you and take over the world with his ships, have our ships instead."

Granted the whole thing is pretty dumb. Like apparently they took the entire fleet without any Urine supporters noticing other bothering to report it lol. Dumb stuff like this kind of balances out with the actual good stuff this show has done this season.

There were more Yara supporters, but Euron supporters were louder. Like Sanders supporters at Nevada state conventions.

btrboyev

If they are going to take out Direwolves, I mean the very least they could have done was make Summer take out a bunch of wights or do something other than jump into a lot of wights and immediately get torn to shreds. These wolves are supposed to be huge and powerful.

correction edit.

NeoGiff

If they are going to take out Direwolves, I mean the very least they could have done was make Summer take out a bunch of whitewalkers or do something other than jump into a lot of whitewalkers and immediately get torn to shreds. These wolves are supposed to be huge and powerful.

Wights.

I hope all this means Meera is more important to the overall storyline

I was worried she was gonna die during that sequence until I saw her kill the white walker. She's definitely going to have some importance now.

So we've got Sam, Jon and Meera all being white walker slayers.

Summer gave them time to get away, granted it was only a few seconds but without the sacrifice they would have never made it through the door.

I guess. I wish it was something more meaningful than just diving into a mob of undead and getting stabbed.

Forkball

Summer's death was a blatant metaphor: summer is gone and winter is here.

I'm curious to know what happens with Bran's story now. I guess he does something with Benjen/Coldhands, then heads to the Wall. But he has to have more visions, right? Is he just going to stop and get high on tree dreams with the WW chasing him? He didn't seem to wake up at the end of the episode, so maybe he is stuck in the Weirnet.

Also we finally get the big showdown between the Tyrell army and the Faith soon. I wonder how that's going to play out. Maybe Lancel tells Jaime that he slept with Cersei and he just leaves. The Tyrell army could easily overpower them, but the Faith still has Margaery and Loras as captives. If they wanna hire a Faceless Man for this shit, now's the time.

GRRM right now:

ovGPgwU.gif

Ratrat

I'm curious to find out the hell is happening in the Riverlands. Did they mention Edmure? The Freys must be completely worthless if Riverrun can afford to aid Sansa at such short notice, while Ramsay patiently waits.
Report it how? With walkey-talkeys?

They were like 10 minutes out when Euron and his people ran over, and they ran STRAIGHT from his coronation.

As for what Theon and Yara's reasoning is? They want the Iron Islands, why not make a deal with the most powerful warlord on the planet to take it by force? Especially when you have the one thing she needs.
Since kinslaying is cool now, its literally kill Euron vs sailing accross the world to a complete stranger and declaring war on the Iron Throne.
They took a really roundabout and risky route imo.

Sheroking

Report it how? With walkey-talkeys?

They were like 10 minutes out when Euron and his people ran over, and they ran STRAIGHT from his coronation.

As for what Theon and Yara's reasoning is? They want the Iron Islands, why not make a deal with the most powerful warlord on the planet to take it by force? Especially when you have the one thing she needs.

munchie64

I would not be anywhere as upset about Summer's death if:

1. They hadn't unceremoniously killed off Shagydog off screen two damn episodes before.
2. Summer took down a few more wights. It sounds simple and dumb, but people love blaze of glory deaths for a reason.

It works ss a thematic "Winter is coming, Summer is gone" thing and will help to isolate Bran and Meera. In theory, it's the best dire wolf death we've had.

Sheroking

I
Since kinslaying is cool now, its literally kill Euron vs sailing accross the world to a complete stranger and declaring war on the Iron Throne.

The implication is that if they stay, Euron kills them. Even though they took more people than Euron seemed to have - it's likely Euron just has a bunch more people and would win any fight.

I don't think Theon and Yara were off to recruit Dany. I think they were just running for their lives and will eventually come to the conclusion that they should seek out her help.

Ratrat

The implication is that if they stay, Euron kills them. Even though they took more people than Euron seemed to have - it's likely Euron just has a bunch more people and would win any fight.

I don't think Theon and Yara were off to recruit Dany. I think they were just running for their lives and will eventually come to the conclusion that they should seek out her help.
Euron was quite literally being drowned, a ritual thats caused death in the past. Yara has enough men to man a fleet and Euron can't have too many if he can sneak into the Iron Islands without being noticed. The reasoning for all of their actions is just weird.

Sheroking

Euron was quite literally being drowned, a ritual thats caused death in the past. Yara has enough men to man a fleet and Euron can't have too many if he can sneak into the Iron Islands without being noticed. The reasoning for all of their actions is just weird.

If they just take-up and attack Euron, they will get killed by presumably greater number of Euron supporters. The use of extras in those scenes does not actually imply they had more people.

It's not like you have to fanwank here. they think they will be killed so they run. Pretty obvious shit.

In the books, does it ever mention Bran's
time traveling
abilities? What is the extent of his abilities?

From Clash (Jon chapter):

A weirwood.

It seemed to sprout from solid rock, its pale roots twisting up from a myriad of fissures and hairline cracks. The tree was slender compared to other weirdwoods he had seen, no more than a sapling, yet it was growing as he watched, its limbs thickening as they reached for the sky. Wary, he circled the smooth white trunk until he came to the face. Red eyes looked at him. Fierce eyes they were, yet glad to see him. The weirdwood had his brother's face. Had his brother always had three eyes?

Not always, came the silent shout. Not before the crow.

He sniffed at the bark, smelled wolf and tree and boy, but behind that there were other scents, the rich brown smell of warm earth and the hard grey smell of stone and something else, something terrible. Death, he knew. He was smelling death. He cringed back, his hair bristling, and bared his fangs.

It's also likely that Bran is the reason Jon found Ghost. The wolf pup made no noise yet Jon had a weird reaction and then found exactly where it was. It's likely that the entire concept of the Old Gods and "whispers through the winds" are actually Bran or others sending ripples through time.

Also Ned hears Bran speak through the trees in Dance, during the vision where Ned prays that Robb and Jon grow up as close as brothers.

And in the Winds sample chapter
Bran speaks through the ravens, telling Stannis' camp to take Theon to the weirwood tree.

Violet_0

Banned
hold the door - hodor ... lol
unexpected dick/boob flash
Bran's wolf was kind of not doing much
the whole zombie scene looked like something out of a 90's TV show tbh

that's my today's mini-review

Eidan

time traveling

We only get a hint of it, with Bran traveling to a time when his father was praying in front of a weirwood and possibly heard Bran calling his name "in the wind".

But we didn't know the extent to which he could effect the past. Hell, I personally didn't think he could.

studyguy

1. They hadn't unceremoniously killed off Shagydog off screen two damn episodes before.
2. Summer took down a few more wights. It sounds simple and dumb, but people love blaze of glory deaths for a reason.

It works ss a thematic "Winter is coming, Summer is gone" thing and will help to isolate Bran and Meera. In theory, it's the best dire wolf death we've had.

I just chalk it up to the CG budget not being there for wolves lol. They show so little of them aside from Ghost that you'd think they might as well not exist on the show.

Ratrat

If they just take-up and attack Euron, they will get killed by presumably greater number of Euron supporters. The use of extras in those scenes does not actually imply they had more people.

It's not like you have to fanwank here. they think they will be killed so they run. Pretty obvious shit.
Did you see how many ships they took? Whats obvious is the shoddy writing can't stand against a drop of scrutiny.
Neither can you apparently.

Iksenpets

Banned
Man, I finally get caught up on this season after a few weeks and Hodor dies? Just my luck. That was I think the first scene all season where I felt like I was legitimately watching future book content, instead of remixed old material or show-only stuff. It was also the first episode of the season that didn't feel like it was taking any quick shortcuts to get the plot where they want it to be. No offing Osha after one scene or anything like that. Though damn they must really hate direwolf filming with the rate they're offing those. Praying for Ghost and Nymeria.

The only thing that fell a little flat for me was the Kingsmoot. Euron didn't seem that charismatic, and for now at least it seems like all of his connections to the mystical side of the story are being stripped away, at least until later. And Yara's whole pitch was basically "build boats" instead of her more reformist stances from the book. But I'm excited for her and Theon going to Dany. That's much more interesting than Victarion. Good restructuring there.

Also, what the hell is this Jorah-curing-grayscale plot. I really have no idea what to make of it. They seemed to be mapping the Connington grayscale story directly on to him, but this seems to be going off in its own direction. Where does he even go? Off to Asshai to try and find Quaithe? To Oldtown to try and find a maester? Maybe he triggers a grayscale plague there?

Final scene was one of the best they've done in a while. "Hold the Door" was not anything I expected for Hodor's origins, but it worked well. Poor, poor Hodor. Knowing what his life was now, I'm kind of glad the poor guy can just be dead now after living his whole life in anticipation of the moment. Summer actually hurt me more. Poor Summer. :(

Next episode Benjen pretty much has to show up to save them, right? Don't anyone dare say he won't. Get hyped.

Also, the stuff in Meereen really feels like they're reworking some of Dany and Barristan's cut content, with the deal to allow slavery outside of Meereen coming into place now. Kind of expecting Gray Worm to poison some locusts in the near future when he gets pissed off enough about having to tolerate the slavers.

King's Landing is the only major plot where I feel like I don't have a relatively good grasp on where it's going. Every party involved in that is playing their cards really close to their chest, and it seems like that's going to keep going until everything explodes into some terrible orgy of violence.

Summer actually hurt me more. Poor Summer. :(

Next episode Benjen pretty much has to show up to save them, right? Don't anyone dare say he won't. Get hyped.

Summer killed me as well. Those whimpers just kill me. Any dog whimpering kills me.

There have been rumors that Benjen
shows up next episode to save Bran/Meera. No ColdHands because he requires CGI.

time traveling
GRRM has dropped hints throughout the books that Bran is being felt/heard in other places near the white trees. The show has gotten way more in-depth on his abilities than they've gotten to in the books so far though.

I'm still wondering if that wasn't a smokescreen. What if the Umbers are only pretending to support Ramsey, delivering Osha and Rickon was supposed to drop his guard giving Osha an opportunity to assassinate him but she failed. Under that scenario Shaggy Dog and maybe even the Rickon in the dungeons may have been imposters. That wolf's head seemed awfully small for a direwolf.

God DAMN that final scene destroyed me. Bran looking over Wylis with solemn (Isaac Hempstead Wright was fantastic) and the use of the Stark's theme come the end.

I mean, I'm a manly man. A man's man. But damn I was in tears, beautiful. Probably the most impactful scene in the series for me personally.

I felt the CoTF reveal was WAY to brief though. I mean surely this should be a BIG moment. A HUGE reveal. In the context of the show only - I don't see how show only watchers can take anything away from it without having knowledge of the books - watching the HBO lore short may help I suppose.

The implications for it are HUGE though looking back at the lore of Westeros. Really wish it was given more focus, it deserved more.

I am SO hyped for the next book now (please George). With further fleshing out of scenes like this, I feel it could be amazing.

Iksenpets

Banned
Summer killed me as well. Those whimpers just kill me. Any dog whimpering kills me.

There have been rumors that Benjen
shows up next episode to save Bran/Meera. No ColdHands because he requires CGI.

I honestly believe the reason dog violence is so painful in movies and TV is because of those whimpers. There's no other species that turns so incredibly pitiful in a moment of suffering. A human can die wth a defiant scream or something, but a dog will just whimper. :(

Also, forgot to mention I loved the play. That was really fun, and was I hearing things or did the theater band play a loose rendition of the actual GoT theme song during scene transitions?

And I know this is a week old thing for most people, but Brienne/Tormund is the best show invention since their version of Mace Tyrell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom