• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
GRRM has dropped hints throughout the books that Bran is being felt/heard in other places near the white trees. The show has gotten way more in-depth on his abilities than they've gotten to in the books so far though.

I'm still wondering if that wasn't a smokescreen. What if the Umbers are only pretending to support Ramsey, delivering Osha and Rickon was supposed to drop his guard giving Osha an opportunity to assassinate him but she failed. Under that scenario Shaggy Dog and maybe even the Rickon in the dungeons may have been imposters. That wolf's head seemed awfully small for a direwolf.

I'd put my money on Shaggydog being a goner. They never really figured out a good way to do the wolves, and so it's just easier for them to kill them off.

Iksenpets

Banned
I'd put my money on Shaggydog being a goner. They never really figured out a good way to do the wolves, and so it's just easier for them to kill them off.

Yep. Plus never go digging for conspiracies in this show. They keep things as straightforward as possible to avoid confusing viewers. Every time fans have thought they've discovered some secret plot, they're wrong. The Umber theories are reminding me of the Talisa theorizing back during seasons 2 and 3. She's clearly a Lannister secret agent! Manderly will show up at some point to turn from Team Bolton to Team Stark in a single scene, and that will be their way of delivering the emotional impact of the Northern conspiracy stuff without any of the plot details.

Iksenpets

Banned
lmao Gendry. We're never going to see that dude again.

I love how every single still-living character seems to be set to return this season. Except Gendry. He's still rowing. They really just have no idea what to with him. I want him to just row into town as the final credits roll and everyone is dead.

I guess... probably, it's nice to dream though :(
Yep. Plus never go digging for conspiracies in this show. They keep things as straightforward as possible to avoid confusing viewers. Every time fans have thought they've discovered some secret plot, they're wrong. The Umber theories are reminding me of the Talisa theorizing back during seasons 2 and 3. She's clearly a Lannister secret agent! Manderly will show up at some point to turn from Team Bolton to Team Stark in a single scene, and that will be their way of delivering the emotional impact of the Northern conspiracy stuff without any of the plot details.

But she was an unknowing Lannister secret agent in the books so that wasn't a huge stretch.

I love how every single still-living character seems to be set to return this season. Except Gendry. He's still rowing. They really just have no idea what to with him.

He's just lost at sea rowing in circles. I still hope he'll return but the Baratheon line isn't even relevant anymore.

Interviews over on MGoT:

- Kristian Nairn Thinks Hodor Is the Better Man
- Isaac Hempstead Wright’s Bran Stark Makes Waves North of the Wall

EDIT: Nairn interview has a few funny bits:
HBO: When we spoke to Isaac, he mentioned breaking your iPhone when you met. Good to know you don’t hold a grudge.

Kristian Nairn: I wouldn’t say grudges weren’t maintained. In Season 2, I think I hit his head off a tree. That might have been a bit of payback. I’ll get him someday. I never forget. The North remembers and so does Hodor.

HBO: What hopes do you have for Bran now that he’s on the brink of change?

Kristian Nairn: I think he’s a pretty poor student, to be honest. His studies to be the new Three-Eyed Raven, or whatever his future is – he needs to take it more seriously. At the moment, he’s more interested in seeing replays of the past.

HBO: If Hodor could express himself, is there anything he’d like to have said to Bran?

Kristian Nairn: If it were me answering, I would have said "no" a lot more: "Hey, pick me up." "No." I think would have just said, "Take care of yourself little guy. Be safe."

I don't even know where to begin.

+LITTLEFINGER AIN'T GOT NO ANSWER. This is the Sansa we've wanted to see for so long. All of her scenes were captivating, though I have read some people dislike her decision for blowing off the Vale knights. I mean, it is a dumb decision from a rational perspective, but Sansa isn't perfect and her alternative plan is believable. The Jon/Sansa tension was also a bit surprising. Sansa's true feelings about Jon are perhaps a bit of a mystery to the audience since we barely see them interact. I'm interested in seeing how far it goes.
+That play's accuracy was Ember Island Players-esque. That scene was a bit too long, but entertaining. I'm curious to see where Arya's storyline is going to take her. Is she really going to try and leave the Faceless Men after all this time? I do love the irony of them letting her kill "Cersei."
+Good luck, Jorah the Fedora. I wonder why they haven't killed him off yet, perhaps his greyscale cure journey has some importance. Perhaps he returns to Meereen, and then when the slavers attack, he rubs his arm all over them? I'm hoping this is opening the door for a Quaithe return.
+Kinvara is way hotter than Benerro. The Lord of Light stuff is always fascinating to me, so it's good to see more of the red priests/priestesses. Tyrion's scenes have all been stellar this season, I was worried that he wouldn't have much to do. Varys was also legit shook, I can only imagine Tyrion thinking "For fuck's sake, let it go." I like how the show highlights the strengths of both Tyrion and Varys, yet also shows their ignorance of the situation and culture around them. They are trying to apply Westerosi ideas in a place that is remarkably unlike any other location in the world.
+White Walker origins... sheeeeeeeeit. I'll probably elaborate in another post, but this was a huge revelation and confirmation of a theory people have been discussing about for ages. Though it still leaves a tremendous amount of questions. I do feel like it was extremely anticlimatic though. One of the biggest mysteries is just revealed with little build up and the scene goes by so quickly, although it was beautifully shot.
+"Lemme get one more hit on this tree stu-oh shit!" This scene was a heartstopper, filled with moments of ridiculousness (why did the CotF even need to make white walkers if they had a cache of plasma grenades?). Hodor's fate was gut-wrenching. What a tragic tale, basically destined to help others down a path he can't understand and to die in a terrible fashion. I don't know what to think about this time-affecting things. I mean, it's in the book. Patchface blatantly guesses the Red Wedding, and there are moments when Jon thinks he can hear Bran. But this was a shocking example of timeline fuckery. I never really cared about the origins of Hodor's name to be honest. I read some theories that it was of great importance, like it was a dragon taming word and other nonsense like that, but I always assumed it was perhaps something in the Old Tongue that no one would figure out until he meets someone who could speak it. I think this show has forever ruined the innocuous phrase "Hold the door."

-Kingsmoot. BOOOOOO. I'm biased since this is one of my favorite scenes in the series, but BOOOOO. The actors all did a fine job, but the writing and the setting... just a disappointment on every level. No giant bones. No chests of gold. No interesting contenders. No dragon horn. NO PINECONES?! You could argue, "but they can't fit all that into the show!" but this scene seemed absurdly long for what it was. And my god, could they make Euron Greyjoy any more dull? Which of the following lines sounds like something Euron Greyjoy wouldn't say:

"Godless? Why, Aeron, I am the godliest man ever to raise sail! You serve one god, Damphair, but I have served ten thousand. From Ib to Asshai, when men see my sails, they pray."

"Perhaps we can fly. All of us. How will we ever know unless we leap from some tall tower? No man ever truly knows what he can do unless he dares to leap."

"We are the ironborn, and once we were conquerors. Our writ ran everywhere the sound of the waves was heard. My brother would have be content with the cold and dismal north, my niece with even less ... but I shall give you Lannisport. Highgarden. The Arbor. Oldtown. The riverlands and the Reach, the kingswood and the rainwood, Dorne and the marches, the Mountains of the Moon and the Vale of Arryn, Tarth and the Stepstones. I say we take it all! I say, we take Westeros."

"Let's go murder them."

SAVE US COLDHANDS

After Euron made that third speech, I hope he gave a Howard Dean "BYYAAAAHHHHHHHH!"

fuzzyset

Also, what the hell is this Jorah-curing-grayscale plot. I really have no idea what to make of it. They seemed to be mapping the Connington grayscale story directly on to him, but this seems to be going off in its own direction. Where does he even go? Off to Asshai to try and find Quaithe? To Oldtown to try and find a maester? Maybe he triggers a grayscale plague there?

I think I'm the only one that took it this way, based on the comments on the internet, but I took that as "Jorah is dead". It was basically another minor character death that we've had so much of this season. Greyscale is incurable. He's not coming back. Jorah was redeemed in Dany's eyes. He can die an honorable queensguard/advisor, not a slaver. His character is complete.

duckroll

I think I'm the only one that took it this way, based on the comments on the internet, but I took that as "Jorah is dead". It was basically another minor character death that we've had so much of this season. Greyscale is incurable. He's not coming back. Jorah was redeemed in Dany's eyes. He can die an honorable queensguard/advisor, not a slaver. His character is complete.

But the producers themselves confirmed in the Behind the Episode stuff that her command has given Jorah renewed purpose and a mission. They're clearly not done with him.

fuzzyset

But the producers themselves confirmed in the Behind the Episode stuff that her command has given Jorah renewed purpose and a mission. They're clearly not done with him.

Ah OK. Nevermind then. Have we had scenes without a POV character in the show? Outside of the WW stuff.

Actual substantial rumors from reddit. Pic below.

BEWARE SPOILERS FROM THE ENTIRE SEASON IN THE PIC BELOW

If you just want the Bran stuff its in the 3rd post in the pic.

Is that allowed in this thread? Word of warning, these are legit so be aware of clicking on that link. It was originally an insider posting on Reddit who leaked True Detective Season 1 too.

You also know it's legit cause all the episode 4 and 5 stuff is correct (like Arya and the actress, Bran and the Cotf and the Greyjoy stuff etc)

I guess... probably, it's nice to dream though :( .

I agree with you. The wolves are some of my favorite pieces of the books and partly what got me initially hooked. It's sad to see them get fucked over I'm the show. Never really cared much for the dragons, but the dragons are just easier to do on the show and more visually appealing to most people I'd imagine. And also probably a larger role in the end game.

Iksenpets

Banned

Nah, this show doesn't let characters have peaceful goodbyes like that. If he's done, they'd kill him. And they wouldn't have introduced the grayscale if it didn't have larger significance. Plus he's hardly a minor character on the show. The show has developed him into a main protagonist in his own right, even if he's a minor character in the books.

duckroll

Ah OK. Nevermind then. Have we had scenes without a POV character in the show? Outside of the WW stuff.

Grey Worm and his girlfriend? Bronne and the Bad Pussy Titties? Sand Snakes killing the prince? There are lots of scenes without POV characters on the show. The series doesn't stick to that at all. I mean we basically had Jorah and Daario adventures before they met up with Dany, and neither are POVs in the books.

Great episode cause of the white walkers, we need them every episode. Still a lot of the usual show stupidity there.

The white Walker traveling is confusing as hell to me. So they are talking years to reach the wall but the second they get bran on their ice radar they basically teleport an entire army there. What is taking them so long.

My theory is that the night King is doing all the side quests in the north before going south. The night King is a completionist. I picture the conversations go like this:

""Sir can we move on with the main quests?"

"No I still have 3 bounties and 2 ice spider races to complete. Oh and our weekly reward for the crasters keep settlement is ready! One human baby! Better go back to the ice castle base to train him to be a future white Walker."

"Sir can we please use fast travel"

"No I don't want to miss any random quests that may pop up on the way"

AppleMIX

Question/Fan Theory (Bran)

A lot of people have been toying with the idea that Bran was the reason why the Mad King went insane.

If anyone caused the King to go mad, wouldn't it make more sense that the Three Eyed Raven caused it?

Great episode cause of the white walkers, we need them every episode. Still a lot of the usual show stupidity there.

The white Walker traveling is confusing as hell to me. So they are talking years to reach the wall but the second they get bran on their ice radar they basically teleport an entire army there. What is taking them so long.

My theory is that the night King is doing all the side quests in the north before going south. The night King is a completionist. I picture the conversations go like this:

""Sir can we move on with the main quests?"

"No I still have 3 bounties and 2 ice spider races to complete. Oh and our weekly reward for the crasters keep settlement is ready! One human baby! Better go back to the ice castle base to train him to be a future white Walker."

"Sir can we please use fast travel"

"No I don't want to miss any random quests that may pop up on the way"

I like this post a lot.

Apt101

A lot of people have been toying with the idea that Bran was the reason why the Mad King went insane.

If anyone caused the King to go mad, wouldn't it make more sense that the Three Eyed Raven caused it?

I think Aerys was just insane as a product of hundreds of years of inbreeding. However, going the greenseer route, Brynden was a Blackfyre (though he rejected it and was a sympathizer of the crown), so there's a connection, but he seems - at least going by the show - to show a lot more discretion with using his power. Then again, driving the king mad to set certain events into motion.... Dunno. Like I wrote, I don't think it was anything supernatural, dude was just regular-ass crazy.

Mr Git

Summer made me sad :c I guess that's a way of saving money though. That and have any hectic scene shot terribly. Wasn't too keen on that whole scene until the end. Not sure what's going to happen with Bran now, has he got to get to another weirwood to carry on with the ToJ flashbacks? Meera looks pretty fucked really with no extra help and Bran has a good track record for getting everyone killed.

Laughed at Littlefinger's teleporting. But the Blackfish making a return got me giddy. Finally. Hopefully they haven't recast him and Edmure.

There's been too much of the "gods would flip a coin to see if a new Targaryen woukd be mad or not". I think it will be regular crazy.

Is that allowed in this thread? Word of warning, these are legit so be aware of clicking on that link. It was originally an insider posting on Reddit who leaked True Detective Season 1 too.

You also know it's legit cause all the episode 4 and 5 stuff is correct (like Arya and the actress, Bran and the Cotf and the Greyjoy stuff etc)

This fucked me up. I read just a few sentences and lost my shit then closed the tab. Seriously wishing I hadn't opened that. uuuuuggghghgoghidflgnlsdfgnlnglfedngld

CloudWolf

Actual substantial rumors from reddit. Pic below.

BEWARE SPOILERS FROM THE ENTIRE SEASON IN THE PIC BELOW

If you just want the Bran stuff its in the 3rd post in the pic.

Some of the stuff in there is... fascinating. Luckily I don't care too much about spoilers anymore.

But yeah, I'm not sure posting this is even allowed.

Santiako upthread suggested he'd be getting Victarion's blackened arm in the show and I think they have the right of it.

God damn Bran ruining Hodors life, not only did he mentally scar him for life by warging into him from the past so he supposedly see's his own death in the future but he also set off the events in that led to Hodors and Summers death in the first place by snooping around these visions on his own when he was told not too allowing the Nights King to grab him.

He better have a serious redemption arc come from this as he has a lot of making up to do now. Also seriously wish people would not be cutting onions around me while Game of Thrones is on.

duckroll

Speaking of next season, they've talked about how the last two seasons are going to be shorter (7 and 6 for a total of 13 or something like that), but does anyone know if they still plan on shooting them as separate seasons, or just shooting 13 episodes at one go to finish it up, while HBO airs them separately?

Speaking of next season, they've talked about how the last two seasons are going to be shorter (7 and 6 for a total of 13 or something like that), but does anyone know if they still plan on shooting them as separate seasons, or just shooting 13 episodes at one go to finish it up, while HBO airs them separately?

Its probably going to be like BReaking Bad. Film the whole thing, then release like 7 episodes for S7 and then next year they do the same.

duckroll

Its probably going to be like BReaking Bad. Film the whole thing, then release like 7 episodes for S7 and then next year they do the same.

If they do that there'll probably be spoilers and leaks for the entire conclusion of the show maybe a year before it ever airs! Oh boy!

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

Thing would need to move crazy fast at 13 more episodes. They're still introducing characters!

Shows gonna just end with the WW getting passed the wall, fade to black with the sounds of swords clanging.

If they do that there'll probably be spoilers and leaks for the entire conclusion of the show maybe a year before it ever airs! Oh boy!

I'm assuming thats how its gonna be. I hope we get all 13-14 episodes next year and they just extend the season 3 more weeks lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom