• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saya

Was it ever mentioned that The Wall also has some magic barrier besides being physically huge?

What about the Horn of Joramun? I thought the WW had possession of it?

Daemul

If Bran turns out to be at the center of every major event that has happened in history I'm going to lose my shit.

TBF the CotF kind of deserve to die after what we learned.

No they didn't, they were in a desperate situation, it was either go extinct or create the WW. I would do the same in their situation and hope for the best.

mfiuza

Was it ever mentioned that The Wall also has some magic barrier besides being physically huge?

Yes, Coldhands confirmed that since he could not go south to meet Bran. So he sends Sam.

Didnt the three eyed raven say that the past is written, the ink is dry? So Bran's shenanigans arent actually changing anything that happened because they already did but only giving a context or reason...and its less time travel and more...relativity/astral projection? Lol probably overthinking it but its not gone quite off the rails in a sci fi angle.

Apart from Hodor it would feel uneeded if he is also responsible for The Mad King

Branduil

If Bran turns out to be at the center of every major event that has happened in history I'm gong to lose my shit.

Well, they already fulfilled the first request of Bran's actor, "Bran needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine." Let's see if they fulfill his second request, "Whenever Bran's not on screen, all the other characters should be asking 'Where's Bran?'"

F!ReW!Re

WHoRTbm.gif

No one wants to remember this. LOL.

Damn I seriously didn't remember that.
Must've been so bad I forgot about it immediately!

Forkball

Wouldn't the magic that protects the Wall and the magic that protected Bloodraven's cave be different? The Wall was built by humans, did they use the CotF's magic to do so?

Man i need to re-read the books already, so much stuff i can't remember.
We really don't know the exact details of how the Wall was built. But numerous characters have said that the wall has magical properties. Hell this is a talking gate in the Nightfort. I assume the Night's King has leveled up his skill tree enough to negate all magic via arm grab.

Yes, it was mentioned numerous times. Mel says her magic is stronger at the wall. I believe the legend of its creation mentions that there are spells and magic "woven" into the wall. Coldhands also says he can't go past it because of its wards. And yes, the aforementioned talking gate.

No one knows where the horn is, but many assume it's with Sam. If you remember, he found the dragonglass and horn way back in ACOK/Season 2. The horn has more significance in the book, but they do show Sam get a horn in the show as well. Mance claims to have found the horn and threatens Jon with it, but Tormund later says it wasn't the real horn.
Aeron is not even a character, he could be Drowned God priest #3 and it changes nothing.
Why call him Aeron then? Just let him be some random drowned priest.

Bran's arc is really kinda unforgivable. It's really fucked up.

- His own curiosity and naughtiness got himself paralyzed by Jaime.
- His "destiny" across the wall costs the life of Jogen.
- After finally finding safety and being taught very important magic shit, his own impatience ruins it all.
- He gets Bloodraven killed.
- He gets all the Children of the Forest killed.
- He gets Summer killed.
- He then retroactively ruins Hodor's life forever and then gets him killed just to hold a door to let them get away.

Holy shit. What a cunt.

Generations from now know they'll know him as Bran the Cunt

Saya

Yes, it was mentioned numerous times. Mel says her magic is stronger at the wall. I believe the legend of its creation mentions that there are spells and magic "woven" into the wall. Coldhands also says he can't go past it because of its wards. And yes, the aforementioned talking gate.

No one knows where the horn is, but many assume it's with Sam. If you remember, he found the dragonglass and horn way back in ACOK/Season 2. The horn has more significance in the book, but they do show Sam get a horn in the show as well. Mance claims to have found the horn and threatens Jon with it, but Tormund later says it wasn't the real horn.

I forgot all about that. Been a while since I read the books. I wasn't sure. I guess it makes sense that Bran travelling south will allow the Night King to break the barrier then. They'll probably end the season with that.

I wonder if the big final stand against the White Walkers will be at Winterfell or further south.

I forgot all about that. Been a while since I read the books. I wasn't sure. I guess it makes sense that Bran travelling south will allow the Night King to break the barrier then. They'll probably end the season with that.

I wonder if the big final stand against the White Walkers will be at Winterfell or further south.
If Melisandres magic is stronger at the Wall, wouldn't that imply that the magic used to build/strengthen the Wall is more likely related to the magic of the Red God?
Maybe this all has some connection back to Valyria?

- Emilia finally got her male nudity.
- Littlefinger can teleport wherever he wants
- Ravenmail recently upgraded to enormous DIN A4 letters in perfect condition.
- Euron will build his ships within a week.

Don´t know how to feel about this episode.

The writing in the iron islands plot was so dumb. Meh.
"Let's go kill my nephew and niece!"

Wow. Cogman is usually pretty good but this episode was full of the show's typical "end>means at any cost" world view. Euron kills Balon and no one cares, Theon/Yara magically escape with nearly every ship and no one notices. What the fuck?

Gattsu25

Banned
Can someone explain to me how they are ruining the Kingsmoot storyline in the show?

So far, it's been just as bad and uninteresting as I remember it being from the book.

Thaedolus

Guys, time is truncated for TV. There isn't unlimited screen time. People will seem to get around unreasonably fast. This is not unreasonable given the constraints of the medium and the criticism isn't new or original. Let it go.

Forkball

If the wall does come tumbling down (thanks, Edd) then I presume the final battle will be at Winterfell. I wouldn't be surprised if the vast majority of the characters in the show, especially ones whose story arcs are more related to politics, never witness or garner any proof of the WW ever existing.
- Euron will build his ships within a week.
Well it looks like they already got a head start on cutting down those trees.

Oh shit does this mean we'll see undead Hodor? :(
Undead children of the forest?
Undead direwolf... Goddammit...
Just what the WW need: magic missiles.

So obviously bloodraven knew about the loop - there was no other reason to take bran back to this specific scene at that very moment.

I guess the entire world is hold within a loop. At some point bran realizes that the loop has to be sustained to keep this universe alive so he wargs back a millenia, becomes the bloodraven and sets all the major events in motion. Trying to get it right groundhog day style. This has been going on for hundrets if not thousand circles now. Carefully setting up the players to finally beat the WW.

In the final episode they either have to win to end the circle or bran just wargs back to start over again. Which we wont see... biggest cliffhanger ever.

duckroll

If the wall does come tumbling down (thanks, Edd) then I presume the final battle will be at Winterfell. I wouldn't be surprised if the vast majority of the characters in the show, especially ones whose story arcs are more related to politics, never witness or garner any proof of the WW ever existing.

Dany will take King's Landing, the North will fall, the Night King will make Winterfell their new base before marching south.

So obviously bloodraven knew about the loop - there was no other reason to take bran back to this specific scene at that very moment.

I guess the entire world is hold within a loop. At some point bran realizes that the loop has to be sustained to keep this universe alive so he wargs back a millenia, becomes the bloodraven and sets all the major events in motion. Trying to get it right groundhog day style. This has been going on for hundrets if not thousand circles now. Carefully setting up the players to finally beat the WW.
What if the prophecy's dany saw in the tower was based on previous timeline as?

Blatz

Hold the door was brilliant.

Bran accidentally ruined a kids life trying to save his own...the feels.

I can't believe some of you hating on this.

Still wish D&D could have given the wolves more respect. Instead they're just fodder.

In the final episode they either have to win to end the circle or bran just wargs back to start over again. Which we wont see... biggest cliffhanger ever.

Bran is Lews Therin Kinslayer!

Random speculation: After turning on the Children, the Others fought a long war against them and Men. Then, a truce was negotiated, because it was a stalemate with equal casualties on both sides. It was then brokered that the Others stay in the very north, while Men ventured south (no idea what was decided regarding the Children.)

Now, it was never Men who built the wall. It was the folks that we know have magic abilities and are able to manipulate masses of ice. Like one would need to build such a crazy large structure that is, as we know, interwoven with magic.

So yeah, the Others built the wall, making peace on the condition that Men would have to stay south. Over the centuries, this condition was ignored and wildlings settled north of the wall. To keep those in check, the Night's Watch would send rangers to check out wildling activities.

The Others didn't like Men roaming around north of the wall, became aggro'd and our story begins.

There will not be a great war against the Others. There will be a great negotiation, a great truce. Some hero will bring peace via diplomacy.

Thoughts? :)

Holy shit, it's like Blazblue

Ratrat

Are Yara and Theon headed to Mereen?

I thought this was the best episode of the season so far, sans Kingsmoot and door holding.

Random speculation: After turning on the Children, the Others fought a long war against them and Men. Then, a truce was negotiated, because it was a stalemate with equal casualties on both sides. It was then brokered that the Others stay in the very north, while Men ventured south (no idea what was decided regarding the Children.)

Now, it was never Men who built the wall. It was the folks that we know have magic abilities and are able to manipulate masses of ice. Like one would need to build such a crazy large structure that is, as we know, interwoven with magic.

So yeah, the Others built the wall, making peace on the condition that Men would have to stay south. Over the centuries, this condition was ignored and wildlings settled north of the wall. To keep those in check, the Night's Watch would send rangers to check out wildling activities.

The Others didn't like Men roaming around north of the wall, became aggro'd and our story begins.

There will not be a great war against the Others. There will be a great negotiation, a great truce. Some hero will bring peace via diplomacy.

Thoughts? :)
Wouldn't a Wall made by the WW rather prevent humans from trespassing the nothern lands instead of keeping themselves out of the southern lands? In short, why would they build something that keeps them away?

That would be good actually. I hope it doesn't come down to some classic good vs evil fight against the White Walkers. That's the biggest fantasy cliche there is. If I remember correctly, GRRM explicitly said he disliked that sort of final battle about LOTR.

I'm guessing the North will be left to deal with the White Walkers threat and Dany will take most of Westeros, go mad like her father and Jorah will be forced to kill her.

Either way, it would be good for Dany not to go down the hero path of vanquishing White Walkers with dragons or ruling Westeros like a good queen. Would prefer the past 5 books to have been a villain origin story.

munchie64

Rewatched and can confirm that this is Top 10 material for me or close. A lot of problems are much more clear on second viewing, BUT I think all the scenes pack the desired punch. How many times can I say that? Not too often. The directing is great too, no bad acting, even in Dany's scene.

Wouldn't a Wall made by the WW rather prevent humans from trespassing the nothern lands instead of keeping themselves out of the southern lands? In short, why would they build something that keeps them away?

Maybe they (WW) were happy enough with the comparatively small stretch of land. Also, they might have known they couldn't exist or flourish further south because there wouldn't be as many weirwood trees. Since those might be a source of the WW's power, they would want to be left alone in an area where that source is plentyful.

My only gripe with the episode is as someone else said; That essentially D&D are using the Direwolves as fodder. Its annoying. Why wouldn't Summer run?

I swear if Ghost if doesn't survive I'm gonna go nuts

rouken

I just noticed that Hodor was already himself after they got out of the door. It was his choice to hold that door and not because Bran was controlling him.

Although Bran being in the past clearly affected young hodor into seeing his eventual death.

Joni

But why didn't he just grab some random Night's Watch guy, brand him, and send him back to the wall? Can he only brand people in dreams? Only greenseers? Someone explain this dude's superpowers to me.

He needed to invade the cave, not the wall. The cave was protected by some magic. The wall probably has other defenses.

SteveWD40

Pleased to see them moving away from the "WW = EVIL" trope that GRRM has always hated / claimed he wouldn't do. The WW being a weapon of the Children gone rogue is a step in the right direction of giving them some ambiguity.

TER not being Rivers (in the show) is weird, why bother claiming he is 1000 years old when you could just hand wave all that away by stating he is a former NW / Targ bastard, it raises less questions.

Allforce

This might be the first episode of the show where they threw so many new ideas out there that I was completely puzzled after it was over.

So basically Bran is controlling a kid (Hodor) from years ago who is also controlled as an adult in the present time. And then he dies in the present day and that's how he started saying Hodor years ago? So Hodor basically became Hodor because in the future all this shit was going to happen to Bran?

I've read all the books twice and have always had a pretty good grasp on the lore and history and characters but last night when this ended I wasn't sad I was consumed with trying to piece everything together and makes sense of it.

Eidan

Having Theon and Yara be the ones to deliver Dany the Iron Fleet works so much better than having Victarion do it. Yet another example of the show making common sense improvements over the source material.

TCRS

Banned
not reading the thread since I only watched the first episode.

last scene: things I never wanted to see in that much detail.

also all the cool dogs are dying away man. yeah it's nice to have women in power etc. but damn I miss the good old ed stark, robert and tywin times. and now the martell dude smh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom