• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah it's crazy because that flies against all the evidence of how the show is made and the audience it is intended for. This is now some long con GOTCHA show. It's straightforward and presented in the most direct way possible so people won't misunderstand. Overthinking it to try and come up with some crazy theory is a waste of time. :p

Actually I feel that GRRM always intended for R+L=J and other stuff to be GOTCHA moments. Its just that he, like many authors, underestimated the intelligence of his readers, especially in the age of the internet which was barely a thing when ASOIAF began.

That and I really, REALLY don't want the WW to be the Generic Doomsday Villains they're shaping up to be.

Aurongel

I wonder if there's a redseer somewhere who can talk to people throughout time using the flames thus the lord of light.

Otherwise, great episode, felt like a return to form. Every scene was engaging and wow did we get some fucking answers.

Didn't people in this very thread predict the Hodor thing? Or was that it in the show watchers thread.
The Hodor thing involving Bran's abilities fucking him up was sorta predicted (because it was foreshadowed at ToJ) but how we got there and the truncation of Hodor is something that less than a dozen people online guessed. That part was the big gotcha reveal.

Gotta say, I wasn't expecting his backstory to have that much relevance to the main plot thread but now he's like a tragic testament to what Bran'd capable of.

duckroll

Actually I feel that GRRM always intended for R+L=J and other stuff to be GOTCHA moments. Its just that he, like many authors, underestimated the intelligence of his readers, especially in the age of the internet which was barely a thing when ASOIAF began.

It doesn't matter what GRRM intended for the books. We're talking about the show here. It's not going to be a gotcha because the showrunners have a very specific mentality when adapting the material. That's why they didn't waste time laying backstory anything in the previous seasons until they felt it was going to be something the audience cared about. Before this season they barely brought up the events of the war, or Lyanna, or the Tower of Joy. Now when they're ready to reveal it at the end of the season, they're laying the groundwork in the most obvious and direct way possible. You see flashbacks via Bran, and Bran and the Raven narrate the important points for the audience in very clear terms.

"That's my aunt, Lyanna."

"That's my father."

etc.

There's no misdirection on the show. When they reveal that Jon is not Ned Stark's son, it won't be "Oh the show totally tricked me!" but rather "Wow Ned Stark lied to protect his sister's child!"

So when they show clearly shows the audience how the Night King was created, and that the Night King is evil while the Children of the Forest are good people who sacrificed themselves to help Bran because they felt bad about creating the monsters to begin with, that's exactly what it is. It's not going to be a trick.

Forkball

Here's stuff I figured out all by myself with no help from reddit whatsoever

1. The guy who the CotF stab is the same actor as the Night's King, Vladimir Furdik. He was newly cast as the Night's King this season, but he has done stunt work on the show. He actually was a stunt double for Arthur Dayne this season as well. That's right, ARTHUR DAYNE IS THE NIGHT'S KING.

You've got to wonder, what is the importance of this one specific guy. Was he someone of note? A Stark? Just some poor dude they captured? How does he have all these fucking powers? Is he an X-man?

cw5lSIf.png

YoJYfVP.jpg

2. Everyone already probably noticed this, but spiral imagery was seen again. It's been showcased before with WW attacks.

If the WW turned on the CotF, why would they continue to use this imagery? To mock them? Does it have some magical properties? It just looks cool?

3. This quote good god

“Sam the Slayer!” he said, by way of greeting. “Are you sure you stabbed an Other, and not some child’s snow knight?”

This isn’t starting well. “It was the dragonglass that killed it, my lord,” Sam explained feebly. (ASOS, Sam)

Really just read this. The OP, by the way, has written an extensive amount of articles about the lore of ASOIAF, the most interesting of which is about the astronomy of Westeros (did you know Westeros had a second moon? It is known.)

4. I see a lot of people talking about Bran being marked and how it could possibly lead to the WW passing the wall, or the fall of the wall itself. Jon even says "Don't knock it down" which sounds like something Edd would do. However, why didn't NK just brand, you know, ANYONE before? Did he think he didn't have enough men? Did he just want to kill Not Bloodraven? I see this as a plothole, but also a very logical prediction.

5. Starring Arya as Arya
BXOK8KR.png

Joni

4. I see a lot of people talking about Bran being marked and how it could possibly lead to the WW passing the wall, or the fall of the wall itself. Jon even says "Don't knock it down" which sounds like something Edd would do. However, why didn't NK just brand, you know, ANYONE before? Did he think he didn't have enough men? Did he just want to kill Not Bloodraven? I see this as a plothole, but also a very logical prediction.

It broke the protective barier of the cave, a cave which only ever housed the Children of the Forest and the Bloodraven before Bran arrived. Bran looking to the Night King was his first chance.

bengraven

I'm glad to see the one theory I came up with on my own actually was true (Children created WW).

But if Benjen is in the "previously on" it's going to ruin any appearance he may make to Meera and Bran.

Gattsu25

Banned
I thought the Hodor scene was fantastic. Made me emotional. Bran just a fucking moron. As is the three eyed Raven. Like what the fuck is wrong with you? 4 seasons to get Bran there and you can't give him a heads up to never let the white walkers touch you. What were you even teaching him? Just showing stupid glimpses of his dad in the past. Once Bran got touched and you say you need to leave immediately you go back on a warg mission and get everyone killed.

Bran is my most hated character now. I hate impulsivity and stupidity. Like asshole you got thrown out of a fucking window because you can't just chill and need to spy and know everything. Because you're bored you got all the CotF killed, Summer and then even sacrificed Hodor to give you a few seconds headstart. Jojen also died to get you there for what.
1324596542030_7713053.png

Was their abstory in asoiaf that the night king used to be the head of the nights watch but he fell in love with a white Walker? Maybe the story was that a man fell in love with a cotf and got betrayed? Similar to how in the episode history got rewritten in the play arya saw

F!ReW!Re

So ehm, I can't remember what happened to Jojen.
What happened on the show, last thing scene I can remember was him sitting outside of the cave?

Jojenpaste without showing it?

duckroll

2. Everyone already probably noticed this, but spiral imagery was seen again. It's been showcased before with WW attacks.

If the WW turned on the CotF, why would they continue to use this imagery? To mock them? Does it have some magical properties? It just looks cool?

They talked about it on the Behind the Episode feature. D&D said that it's just to show that the pattern was part of the original ritual which created them, so presumably that magic continues to be a pattern the White Walkers themselves also use. Same root origin.

So ehm, I can't remember what happened to Jojen.
What happened on the show, last thing scene I can remember was him sitting outside of the cave?

Jojenpaste without showing it?

WHoRTbm.gif

No one wants to remember this. LOL.

Forkball

It broke the protective barier of the cave, a cave which only ever housed the Children of the Forest and the Bloodraven before Bran arrived. Bran looking to the Night King was his first chance.
But why didn't he just grab some random Night's Watch guy, brand him, and send him back to the wall? Can he only brand people in dreams? Only greenseers? Someone explain this dude's superpowers to me. The Night's King seemingly has:

+Immortality
+Immunity to steel and fire
+Ability to create ice earthquakes
+Necromancy
+White Walker creation
+Magic debuffs via branding
+The ability to invade other people's dreams like he's Freddy Krueger
maybe what hodor was really saying was 'horrible dorne'
Hodor did so much for us...

I hate Bran.

He basically ruined Hodor's life just to save his own ass.

Hodor pretty much was his manservant, guardian and at the end, a doorstop. He was an unwilling, manipulated sacrifice for Bran.

I have no sympathy for him anymore.

duckroll

But why didn't he just grab some random Night's Watch guy, brand him, and send him back to the wall? Can he only brand people in dreams? Only greenseers? Someone explain this dude's superpowers to me.

Pretty simple. It's not a dream, it's not a vision, think of it as astral projecting across time and space. What Bran and Bloodraven do is project their selves magically across time and space, and they are -really- there, it's just that normal people cannot see or interact with them. When they try to communicate they are heard as whispers. In this case, Bran, not knowing how to control the power, projected himself to the Night King, and unlike normal people, the Night King CAN see him, and can touch him. So by invading the Night King's space, he put himself in reach to be touched, thus negating the protection his physical location gave him. It's like how a vampire cannot enter your house unless you invite him. Bran basically invited the Night King.

Moff

Jorah is definitely getting Victarion's lava arm isn't he? I feel that a lava arm is too cool for Jorah.

jupp that crossed my mind as well

and yeah, the "let's go murder them" was the worst line of the season so far

I mean that's so simple and dumb, it's a whole new level after bad pussies and good men

Pretty simple. It's not a dream, it's not a vision, think of it as astral projecting across time and space. What Bran and Bloodraven do is project their selves magically across time and space, and they are -really- there, it's just that normal people cannot see or interact with them. When they try to communicate they are heard as whispers. In this case, Bran, not knowing how to control the power, projected himself to the Night King, and unlike normal people, the Night King CAN see him, and can touch him. So by invading the Night King's space, he put himself in reach to be touched, thus negating the protection his physical location gave him. It's like how a vampire cannot enter your house unless you invite him. Bran basically invited the Night King.
Therefore children, never violate a White Walker's personal Safe Space. I now request a GoT/WW themed version of South Parks Safe Space song!

Paganmoon

I hate Bran.

He basically ruined Hodor's life just to save his own ass.

Hodor pretty much was his manservant, guardian and at the end, a doorstop. He was an unwilling, manipulated sacrifice for Bran.

I have no sympathy for him anymore.

Anymore? Bran was a fucking dick in the books. I recall him Warging into Hodor and walking around, whilst Hodor had to cower in some corner of his mind, not understanding what the fuck was going on, scared shitless.

Bran is a fucking ass... always was, most likely always will be.

I don't think the Bran/Hodor thing is time travel. He was being shown the Hodor origin. Basically Hodor had a vision of his own death at a young age. Bran needed to see it. I don't think there is a time loop going on.

Anarion07

Anymore? Bran was a fucking dick in the books. I recall him Warging into Hodor and walking around, whilst Hodor had to cower in some corner of his mind, not understanding what the fuck was going on, scared shitless.

Bran is a fucking ass... always was, most likely always will be.

Maybe he actually DID know exactly what was going on.
Hodor knew that he would die whilst/after being warged.
Maybe THAT's why he was always so distressed, knowing that someday he won't come back from this

that has to be fake. you can change dates on wordpress posts right?

It's real.
http://web.archive.org/web/*/https://ventrellaquest.com/2014/04/20/got-got/

duckroll

Bran's arc is really kinda unforgivable. It's really fucked up.

- His own curiosity and naughtiness got himself paralyzed by Jaime.
- His "destiny" across the wall costs the life of Jogen.
- After finally finding safety and being taught very important magic shit, his own impatience ruins it all.
- He gets Bloodraven killed.
- He gets all the Children of the Forest killed.
- He gets Summer killed.
- He then retroactively ruins Hodor's life forever and then gets him killed just to hold a door to let them get away.

Holy shit. What a cunt.

Paganmoon

Maybe he actually DID know exactly what was going on.
Hodor knew that he would die whilst/after being warged.
Maybe THAT's why he was always so distressed, knowing that someday he won't come back from this

It's real.
http://web.archive.org/web/*/https://ventrellaquest.com/2014/04/20/got-got/

I'm talking about in the books, when Bran learns he can warg into Hodor, he does it many times after, just for fun. Completely screwing with Hodors poor mind for his own amusement. He's a dick.

Well then, seems Hold the Door was pretty common theory when I do a google search checking prior to may of this year.

If only Bran wasn't plugged into Weirwoodnet for so long.

ViveWoodNet?

Moff

So who who will Bran become in the end? The tree guy or the Lord of Light?

up until this week I thought Bloodraven was the big bad

now only bran can be the big bad, probably some time traveling stuff. he is both the lord of light as well as the night's king, fulfilling his task to make sure that all men must die.

which makes sense because it was been a theory forever (something with norse mythology stuff) that would ldea to a final confrontation between bran and jaime, considering the norse characters they are based on. this would also make sense because the confrontation between jaime and bran was also what got all of this in motion.

Forkball

From the official viewer's guide. It ain't damn fair.

FDG8AbH.png

This character assassination can only be described as Stannis-esque.

Going back to Bran and Meera's Excellent Adventure, a popular theory that seems to have been given new life is that the "whispers" the mad king Aerys heard were none other than Bran. Perhaps he was fated to do so, a predestination paradox. Also the voice in the fire when Varys' junk was burned was also Bran. Bran is the Red God. Bran is the Great Other. Everyone and everything is Bran. He is the Xenahort of ASOIAF.

CloudWolf

up until this week I thought Bloodraven was the big bad

now only bran can be the big bad, probably some time traveling stuff. he is both the lord of light as well as the night's king, fulfilling his task to make sure that all men must die.

Well, if he passes beyond the Wall with that mark that allows the White Walkers to break through magic barriers on his arm... yeah, he's dooming the world.

duckroll

Well, if he passes beyond the Wall with that mark that allows the White Walkers to break through magic barriers on his arm... yeah, he's dooming the world.

I don't think that's how it works. Could be wrong, but I think when he was "branded" he only negated the protection of the place he was physically in at that moment.

Branduil

Bran's arc is really kinda unforgivable. It's really fucked up.

- His own curiosity and naughtiness got himself paralyzed by Jaime.
- His "destiny" across the wall costs the life of Jogen.
- After finally finding safety and being taught very important magic shit, his own impatience ruins it all.
- He gets Bloodraven killed.
- He gets all the Children of the Forest killed.
- He gets Summer killed.
- He then retroactively ruins Hodor's life forever and then gets him killed just to hold a door to let them get away.

Holy shit. What a cunt.

TBF the CotF kind of deserve to die after what we learned.

Moff

well the wall will definitely fall, no way they will skip that spectacle. and I don't think bran's mark will do that, that would be a bit lame.

I'm happy there's no Vic or an expanded role for the Damphair in the show - the Ironborn plot, with Dorne and Meereen, is the worst part of the books by far right now, and those are two of the worst characters (wish they hadn't included Euron and the Snakes either, but whatever :/ ) .

I don't think that's how it works. Could be wrong, but I think when he was "branded" he only negated the protection of the place he was physically in at that moment.
Wouldn't the magic that protects the Wall and the magic that protected Bloodraven's cave be different? The Wall was built by humans, did they use the CotF's magic to do so?

Man i need to re-read the books already, so much stuff i can't remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom