• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
GOT time has gone off the deepend. Now, it's still going on, in between scenes, but they really aren't bothering with explaining how much time has passed.

Tyrion mentioned it's been a fortnight since "the pact" happened, and a fortnight is 2 weeks.

No one has any idea how much time has passed in the cave up north, and no one knows "when" in time that scene with the Night King is. Could have happened weeks ago, and they arrive in time for events to catch up to Bran.

For all we know, the Bran stuff could have happened weeks ago, and he's about to arrive at the wall.

rdytoroll

GOT time has gone off the deepend. Now, it's still going on, in between scenes, but they really aren't bothering with explaining how much time has passed.

Tyrion mentioned it's been a fortnight since "the pact" happened, and a fortnight is 2 weeks.

No one has any idea how much time has passed in the cave up north, and no one knows "when" in time that scene with the Night King is. Could have happened weeks ago, and they arrive in time for events to catch up to Bran.

For all we know, the Bran stuff could have happened weeks ago, and he's about to arrive at the wall.

I don't even give this stuff a thought while I'm watching. I also cannot understand people who complain about Littlefinger being able to "teleport". It's really not that important imo

Violet_0

Banned
all I know is that the time it takes to send a messenger from Meereen to Volantis, then ship someone back to Meereen, is approximately one scene cut

although Littlefinger did manage to travel up to the Wall in record time too this episode. Basically, there's no sense of scale, distance or passage of time anymore and the general audience probably doesn't care either

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
last time I think there was anything that could inform that things are happening "at the same time" was the red comet.

Just waiting on the show killing mindfuck of characters being in 2 separate storylines "at the same time" (Jamie's in Kings Landing, now he's in Riverrun! Now he's back at Kings Landing!)

Moff

all I know is that the time it takes to send a messenger from Meereen to Volantis, then ship someone back to Meereen, is approximately one scene cut

although Littlefinger did manage to travel up to the Wall in record time too this episode. Basically, there's no sense of scale, distance or passage of time anymore and the general audience probably doesn't care either

was there ever? littlefinger has got his teleportation skill in season 1, or 2?
should we even care? obviously the events in the different locations do not happen in synchronization and I don't think they should. I mean how long would it take littlefinger to travel up there, or sam's journey? weeks at least, while events at the wall and in kings landing happen in days and need to happen in days, otherwise they are no longer believable.
aryas training should take years, I wonder what use she will ever be like that, GRRM needed that 5 year gap, I don't know what she could accomplish after a few weeks or even months of getting beaten up

Real Hero

I don't even give this stuff a thought while I'm watching. I also cannot understand people who complain about Littlefinger being able to "teleport". It's really not that important imo

It's important when it makes the world the characters are supposed to exist in feel nebulous, you can get away with it GRRM no doubt has in the books but the geography of the world is still given a good level of respect.

Massa

was there ever? littlefinger has got his teleportation skill in season 1, or 2?
should we even care? obviously the events in the different locations do not happen in synchronization and I don't think they should. I mean how long would it take littlefinger to travel up there, or sam's journey? weeks at least, while events at the wall and in kings landing happen in days and need to happen in days, otherwise they are no longer believable.
aryas training should take years, I wonder what use she will ever be like that, GRRM needed that 5 year gap, I don't know what she could accomplish after a few weeks or even months of getting beaten up

The events of episode 6 are happening right now and D&D are live in Westeros, filming it for next Sunday!

Lothar

Banned

How can it not take you out of the show? It makes no sense and could never happen. Something like that happens in every scene.

It's like GoT is only a good show if you turn your brain off completely and just watch it for the action scenes.

Speaking of next season, they've talked about how the last two seasons are going to be shorter (7 and 6 for a total of 13 or something like that), but does anyone know if they still plan on shooting them as separate seasons, or just shooting 13 episodes at one go to finish it up, while HBO airs them separately?

Its probably going to be like BReaking Bad. Film the whole thing, then release like 7 episodes for S7 and then next year they do the same.
Couple things here: Breaking Bad filmed over two years, I believe it was Mad Men that largely filmed most of the last season together and AMC split it.

Second, it's very unlikely that GoT will shoot 13 in a year considering it takes them the full year to write, pre-prod, production, and post prod for 10 episodes at their current production value.

Kuroyume

Banned
tumblr_o6mb1ioGSr1uxwan3o1_500.jpg

tumblr_ng4w5cbYWT1so40w5o2_1280.jpg

Leaf without makeup

Kusagari

Littlefinger's teleportation is the one that sticks out because he's involved with so many other characters.

Stuff involving Dany you can usually handwave.

Halfway through the episode but oh my god I don't care about Arya's storyline in any way whatsoever. So so so so boring. Just feels like she's been getting the shit beaten out of her with a stick for 5. Damn. Episodes.

How the hell do you bring back the cool assassin guy from S2 and make it so BOOOOOORRRIIIIING.

"I feel the Winds of Winter"

Haha haha you trolls.

Surfinn

Halfway through the episode but oh my god I don't care about Arya's storyline in any way whatsoever. So so so so boring. Just feels like she's been getting the shit beaten out of her with a stick for 5. Damn. Episodes.

How the hell do you bring back the cool assassin guy from S2 and make it so BOOOOOORRRIIIIING.

Haha haha you trolls.

I do agree that story line had SO much potential. I remember Arya sailing away and imagining where she would be, who she would become. It has gotten a little dull. They need to pick up the pace. She can only be beaten with a stick for so long..

Lothar

Banned
This season has been so good compared to last. Miles and miles.

Until this last episode at least.

Haha haha you trolls.

I felt the same way about Arya this time last year. It's unimaginable that they could still be having her doing the same think and think it's good tv.

dabig2

Speaking of Littlefinger's travels all over Westeros, who controls Moat Cailin in the show? I thought it was the Boltons. Like that was what led Roose to legitimizing Ramsay in the first place back in Season 4 after he defeated the Iron Born there. So did the Vale army forcefully take over Moat Cailin or was it abandoned by the Boltons after Ramsay left (which would make no sense considering it's massive importance to the North defending itself from the South).

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Looking forward to reading that "hold the door" scene. There are some subtleties that couldn't be shown on screen, like what he experienced at that point in the past.

Speaking of Littlefinger's travels all over Westeros, who controls Moat Cailin in the show? I thought it was the Boltons. Like that was what led Roose to legitimizing Ramsay in the first place back in Season 4 after he defeated the Iron Born there. So did the Vale army forcefully take over Moat Cailin or was it abandoned by the Boltons after Ramsay left (which would make no sense considering it's massive importance to the North defending itself from the South).
Ramsay took it from the Greyjoy's in S4, but then didn't leave a force there as Sansa and Littlefinger passed through it in s5.

CloudWolf

Do you people think the "hold the door" thing is taken from the (future) books?

D&D confirmed that George R.R. Martin told them the origins of Hodor. So yes, it's directly from Winds of Winter.

That said, I'm expecting that in TWoW it won't be The Others that attack Bran & co. but the Children of the Forest, who are revealed to be pulling the strings of The Others. I don't buy that GRRM for the books will go with the 'weapon gone rogue' angle.

Trasher

So what's everyone's consensus on whether Hodor acted on his own or whether Bran was warging him to hold the door? Everyone on Reddit is arguing about it. The writer of this article believes it was clearly Hodor who decided to sacrifice himself for his friends, but lots of people believe the darker version where Bran was warging him and sacrificed him.

Iksenpets

Banned
Do you people think the "hold the door" thing is taken from the (future) books?

I said this earlier, but that was the first scene all season that felt like an actual future book event. Everything else so far has either been old stuff that they're only getting to now, or is taking place in ways that are so heavily altered that it has to happen way differently in the books. That felt accurate though. And D&D confirmed in the post-show interviews that the "hold the door" phrase being the origin of "Hodor" came from GRRM himself, so there will be differences, but some sort of door holding is definitely happening.

Also, this would kind of imply that GRRM planned on time-warging way back in book 1, which is kind of crazy.

So what's everyone's consensus on whether Hodor acted on his own or whether Bran was warging him to hold the door? Everyone on Reddit is arguing about it. The writer of this article believes it was clearly Hodor who decided to sacrifice himself for his friends, but lots of people believe the darker version where Bran was warging him and sacrificed him.

Hodor was not being warged at that exact moment, but I'm not sure how much free will that really left him with. This whole moment was magically imprinted on him from childhood. Once he was there did he even have a choice, even without Bran directly controlling him, or was he brainwashed into doing it all those years ago? I have no idea. That scene goes some dark places no matter how you think about it. It was really the first time the raw horror of Bran's cave plot came out in the show.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I said this earlier, but that was the first scene all season that felt like an actual future book event. Everything else so far has either been old stuff that they're only getting to now, or is taking place in ways that are so heavily altered that it has to happen way differently in the books. That felt accurate though. And D&D confirmed in the post-show interviews that the "hold the door" phrase being the origin of "Hodor" came from GRRM himself, so there will be differences, but some sort of door holding is definitely happening.

Also, this would kind of imply that GRRM planned on time-warging way back in book 1, which is kind of crazy.

Not really. I understand a lot of good series authors come up with large premises like this for the whole series, then fill in the middle. With this knowledge and scouring the books, some suggest we will see at least a couple more past events with similar cross-time influences before the books/show ends.

mantidor

I feel it's a mix of both. He does warg into hodor when Meera asks, and the three eye Raven says to do it, but since he is warging and greenseeing at the same time he unfortunately links Hodor's mind with his young self, at that point he unwargs (is that even a word) and is helpless as he sees young Hodor living his future death, but Hodor is at that point acting on his own.

Trasher

Hodor was not being warged at that exact moment, but I'm not sure how much free will that really left him with. This whole moment was magically imprinted on him from childhood. Once he was there did he even have a choice, even without Bran directly controlling him, or was he brainwashed into doing it all those years ago? I have no idea. That scene goes some dark places no matter how you think about it. It was really the first time the raw horror of Bran's cave plot came out in the show.

What I'm going with right now is that when Bran heard the screams from within his vision and he momentarily tried to warg the young Hodor, it briefly connected young Hodor with present-day Hodor and the knowledge of what his destiny was shook him into action. For the first time he seemed to know what he needed to do, and he was able to shed his fear to protect his friends.

I don't think it was even possible for Bran to actually warg and control the present-day Hodor from the vision he was occupying.

I feel it's a mix of both. He does warg into hodor when Meera asks, and the three eye Raven says to do it, but since he is warging and greenseeing at the same time he unfortunately links Hodor's mind with his young self, at that point he unwargs (is that even a word) and is helpless as he sees young Hodor living his future death, but Hodor is at that point acting on his own.

Yeah, I agree. But does that mean Bran doesn't know yet what happened to Hodor since he was inside his vision when this all happened?

ultron87

Yeah, since we saw Bran still being an individual inside the dream I wanna believe that it was Hodor making a choice, even if Bran had to spur him to it through some mechanic.

When I first saw the scene I thought it was gonna be something crazy like Bran pulling Hodor's past consciousness into his body in the future and that Hodor would suddenly be able to talk.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
hodor was brainwashed to be cannon fodder for some dude who ruined his life. bran is the worst person in westeros. we will probably also find out that he convinced his past self to spy on jaime and cersei.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Just read this on twitter, how will the whole "hold the door" -> Hodor thing work when translating the book into other languages?

i would imagine that many translators will just cut it out, since they cannot change hodor's name at this point. the trauma will of course happen, but "hodor" would just be something generic that he started repeating.

Just read this on twitter, how will the whole "hold the door" -> Hodor thing work when translating the book into other languages?

Like it happens in a lot of similar cases. A note at the bottom of the page. With German and similar Germanic languages they could retroactively rename him something like "Haltür" or "Haldür" in future editions but with Slavic, Romance, etc. it's almost an impossibility.

Brakke

Banned

Why should Bolton need to defend itself from the South? Roose had alliances with Frey at the river and with Lannister at the capital. Very recently, Bolton thought it's only enemy was Stannis and potentially a Northmen uprising. Fair enough that he'd pull all his forces to Winterfell and leave the Moat insufficiently (or un-)guarded.

Not really. I understand a lot of good series authors come up with large premises like this for the whole series, then fill in the middle. With this knowledge and scouring the books, some suggest we will see at least a couple more past events with similar cross-time influences before the books/show ends.

Not to mention that the whole series was supposed to be fewer books than it ended up.

hodor was brainwashed to be cannon fodder for some dude who ruined his life. bran is the worst person in westeros. we will probably also find out that he convinced his past self to spy on jaime and cersei.

It's worth remembering that Bran in the books is, what, 9 years old? Him being impatient and careless is absolutely normal.

raindoc

Anyone else loving these two? Tormund's reaction is hilarious lmao

BVCl4Q8.gif

It makes me giggle and I hate it. It feels like something out of a parody-movie, just like the "top 5 things a Dothraki man can do" from earlier this season. Worth a giggle (to some), but out of place in this show.

Sean C

Random speculation: The Night's King put his mark on Bran, which allowed him to breach the wards on Bloodraven's cave. Bran is currently being pulled toward the Wall...

It makes me giggle and I hate it. It feels like something out of a parody-movie, just like the "top 5 things a Dothraki man can do" from earlier this season. Worth a giggle (to some), but out of place in this show.
We can have humour (that Tormund/Brianne) gif without it resorting to that Dothraki joke which feels like it was guest written by Adam Sandler.

Christ knows you need some levity when the gentle giant character gets ripped to shreds by zombies.

Random speculation: The Night's King put his mark on Bran, which allowed him to breach the wards on Bloodraven's cave. Bran is currently being pulled toward the Wall...

Couldn't the Night's King have done that to any person that wandered north in the past thousands of years?

AndyD

aka andydumi
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";204450042]Not to mention that the whole series was supposed to be fewer books than it ended up.[/QUOTE]

I can see at least a book, book and a half of material that could be gone relatively painlessly. It shows in that the show cut out significant chunks of storyline and characters with little effect. It still speaks to the strength of his overall story plan, but it also shows that the middle is mostly filler.

duckroll

When Hodor returns in the final battle as a wight in the Night King's army.... do you think he'll still be... holding the door? Like carrying it around on his back like a giant weapon.

Too soon?

Sean C

Couldn't the Night's King have done that to any person that wandered north in the past thousands of years?
Sure. Though you could say the same thing about the cave, right? We don't really know what prompted the White Walkers to suddenly become active.

It's probably not true, since that would make Bran the most colossal screwup in the whole show and suggest the safest thing Bloodraven could have done would be to never take him north of the Wall to begin with.

Iksenpets

Banned

What if the real reason Benjen never came home is he got marked, and knows he can never return without destroying the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom