• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haruko

I don't expect we'll ever see Nymeria again on the show.
And if we do, she'll probably be offed offscreen quietly like Shaggydog or destroyed quickly like Summer. And my heart can't take that D:

The tales over the successive books of Nymeria's wolfpack growing in size and boldness with its attacks on the countryside is one of my favorite little details of ASOIAF. I don't recall the showing having any of them, though.

Moosichu

Definitely good parts to the episode. I'm just so disappointed about how ungraciously Summer was killed off. Like seriously, the direwolves are just being offed left and right, and as far as the show is concerned only Ghost is left now :(

I don't expect we'll ever see Nymeria again on the show.
And if we do, she'll probably be offed offscreen quietly like Shaggydog or destroyed quickly like Summer. And my heart can't take that D:

The tales over the successive books of Nymeria's wolfpack growing in size and boldness with its attacks on the countryside is one of my favorite little details of ASOIAF. I don't recall the showing having any of them, though.

Brienne might be traveling in her vicinity. Maybe Nymeria is Lady Stoneheart in the show.

poncle

The theatre scene was so boring and bad, especially thanks to the gratuitous nudity, that killed all my expectations for the rest of the episode. And then the door hit me in the face :(

Faddy

Banned
I watched the episode once (stayed up to watch live) and thought it was garbage. On second viewing with people and damn it was much better and those Hodor and Summer scenes got me right in the feels even though I knew it going to happen.

Still not getting Euron, he seems too normal. His speech was just ok and not as over the top as I would have liked. The whole execution of the Kings Moot seemed clumsy and I'm not sure what Euron is going to do without a fleet.

Damn Hodor.

I thought the play was weak too but understandable. It's very well written and semi serious in the Winds sample chapter, including some fun nods to Shakespeare.

Madness

The theatre scene was so boring and bad, especially thanks to the gratuitous nudity, that killed all my expectations for the rest of the episode. And then the door hit me in the face :(

I thought it worked. Made a girl who is no one remember she is and will always be Arya Stark. Jaqen precisely sent her there for this.

I think she will end up using needle on the waif and saying a girl has chosen, a girl is Arya Stark. 2 seasons of her getting bloodied etc.

Sean C

The price the Faceless Men receive fluctuates based on both the target and whoever is hiring the assassination. So if King Robert had wanted to hire a Faceless Man, it would have cost, say, half the the crown's gold. Whereas if a beggar wanted to off someone, they would take half of his meager possessions. Or whatever percentage works.

But that means the Faceless Men could be hired by anyone. If you really want someone dead and are willing to give up most of what you own, they will kill anyone you want.
Honestly, the Faceless Men are one of the details of the books that annoy me, just because they're basically omnipotent but saddled with a wholly arbitrary pricing system that seems designed mainly to explain why the major characters in the series can't make use of them.

I thought it worked. Made a girl who is no one remember she is and will always be Arya Stark. Jaqen precisely sent her there for this.

I think she will end up using needle on the waif and saying a girl has chosen, a girl is Arya Stark. 2 seasons of her getting bloodied etc.

Question is how does Jaqen react to that. And whether Arya really learns how to change faces or not.

duckroll

Honestly, the Faceless Men are one of the details of the books that annoy me, just because they're basically omnipotent but saddled with a wholly arbitrary pricing system that seems designed mainly to explain why the major characters in the series can't make use of them.

They're not omnipotent, they're just very good at their job. The price they charge is not meant to be an excuse of why they cannot be used, but rather an indication of their philosophy on the world. Every person has a price, the question is whether you're willing to pay it. The narrative has shown over and over again that characters have no problems getting people they want killed, killed, if they're really determined. They don't need to pay a ton of money to a well known assassin's guild to do it.

So, I guess Bran just low key learned a pretty damn useful offensive ability on the Warging skill tree. They should just start having him Mind Crush every major antagonist by linking their past and future selves until they can only say something stupid like he did with Hodor.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
So, I guess Bran just low key learned a pretty damn useful offensive ability on the Warging skill tree. They should just start having him Mind Crush every major antagonist by linking their past and future selves until they can only say something stupid like he did with Hodor.

If he could, that person would already be saying something stupid.

Time is a Flat Circle.alrightalrightalright

Words Are Wind
Where Whores Go
You Know Nothing
It Is Known
You raped her! You murdered her! You killed her children!

Man, Bran has already done it, shit!

I like how "Words are Wind" as a phrase started on Westeros in like... book 4, and magically spread itself to every continent and culture at the same time.

Arya's reaction to the play reminds me of the reactions I have to the show pretty regularly. Could D&D be that self-aware?

Also, I guess Bronn went back to his home planet, just like Gendry and all of Dorne.

I like how "Words are Wind" as a phrase started on Westeros in like... book 4, and magically spread itself to every continent and culture at the same time.

Nuncle. Fuck that fucking word, it's so irritating. Introduced in AFFC and all of a sudden it's commonly used. Had it just been Asha, it wouldn't have been bad because maybe that's just her term. But Jaime and/or his cousin use it too. Maybe some other characters too, it's been awhile.

Arkeband

Banned

He can only (or is destined to only) fuck with those who have already been fucked with, that's how closed time loops work.

Maybe I missed something, but Davos still doesn't know that both Stannis and Shireen are dead, correct?

But Varys, somehow, does? How did Varys get this information?

https://ventrellaquest.com/2014/04/20/got-got/

That blog post is from 2014... holy fucccck

Also any thoughts on why Coldhands has been dropped entirely? I honestly think it is because they don't want to confuse viewers by introducing any "grey" morality. They've made all the bad characters like cartoonishly evil if they weren't in the books (TOO OLD!!!!), and I think they believe a non-evil whitewalker would just be too much for viewers to handle.

And also how much are we betting that Tyrion is actually a secret Targaryen? Seems more and more plausible.

Maybe I missed something, but Davos still doesn't know that both Stannis and Shireen are dead, correct?

Wait is Stannis confirmed dead?

Brienne told him she killed Stannis last episode. Melisandre pretty much said Shireen is dead, too. So he knows.

And Varys still has his little birds.

Brienne told him she killed Stannis last episode. Melisandre pretty much said Shireen is dead, too. So he knows.

And Varys still has his little birds.

Ah, right, right. I forgot Brienne admitted as much to Davos. I think the lack of a reaction or seemingly any type of fallout made it slip my mind.

If my memory serves me right, though, Melisandre did not tell him that Shireen is dead. In fact, there was a surprising lack of follow-up by his character on the whole situation.

Gigglepoo

When Jon starts recruiting houses, is he going to use his resurrection to sway people? Or is that just something that only the Watch will know about? I figured Littlefinger would know.

"Jon is my brother!"

"Your undead half-brother."

Madness

No way Stannis is alive in the show

Of course he is. This isn't TWD where unless you see it happen, assume otherwise. Stannis was wounded, barely standing in the middle of winter and propped against a tree. Just because they cut away before the strike doesn't mean he's alive. Roose Bolton asked who did it too because he probably saw dead Stannis and like 4 Bolton men etc.

And then Brienne straight up tells Ser Davos and Melisandre that she executed him. Show stannis is dead for sure. They even did a beautiful death poster for him with the cut in the tree with blood and stags looking on in the distance.

CloudWolf

https://ventrellaquest.com/2014/04/20/got-got/

That blog post is from 2014... holy fucccck

Also any thoughts on why Coldhands has been dropped entirely? I honestly think it is because they don't want to confuse viewers by introducing any "grey" morality. They've made all the bad characters like cartoonishly evil if they weren't in the books (TOO OLD!!!!), and I think they believe a non-evil whitewalker would just be too much for viewers to handle.

And also how much are we betting that Tyrion is actually a secret Targaryen? Seems more and more plausible.

On Coldhands: Probably because he would be too difficult to explain.

On Tyrion: Nope, I will never go along with that theory. If it turns out to be true, it'll be the stupidest thing ever. It doesn't fit with Tyrion's character progression at all.

On Stannis: Yes, he is very, very dead.

Randdalf

Some of the writing feels like a parody of itself at this point, although that climactic scene was really well done. It kind of feels like reading the plot on Wikipedia though, seeing this stuff in the show first, if you know what I mean? The twists and big events are so much more rich and substantial in the books, and I think they've hit that high a few times in the show, my particular favourite being how they handled Oberyn Martell.

When scenes jump between characters it doesn't mean they are near or around the same timeframe.

This applies to both books and show.

Sure, but this one feels like quite a stretch.

Brakke

Banned

Coldhands is explicitly not an Other. His hands are *black*.

Madness

RfVZsu7.jpg

I think HBO retweeted this too. Safe to say he is gone. Probably means his time in the books limited too. Winds of Winter might be the end for him.

CloudWolf

When scenes jump between characters it doesn't mean they are near or around the same timeframe.

This applies to both books and show.

The problem lies in the fact that the show is not clear at all about the different timeframes. Sure, it would be tacky to put a "The Eyre, 299" thing at the start, but the way it's done now is super confusing for most viewers. It's not like this is some niche complaint, basically everybody I know that watches makes jokes about Littlefinger and his rocket-powered horses.

manhack

The ego on you people

No one saying they dislike the reveal is here to troll you show fans

My wording may of been strong, but this is the BOOK spoilers thread and I have read the books and watch the show, so I'm not sure what you mean by "you people".

I also spend a lot of time reading online discussions about entertainment I enjoy and occasionally get burned out by the negativity, so my main challenge is for folks to explain there opinion as much as is reasonable. (reactions during airtime being an exception)

I think well thought out responses for why someone disliked the reveal are great. I am skeptical of folks who say "This is stupid. LULZ" and remove themselves from the discussion.

To the credit of this thread, at least, most folks are backing up there reasons for disliking the reveal and even I have given my own criticisms for the reveal (time travel shenanigans) as well.

Randdalf

Oh yeah, I really wish they'd not have done the Greyjoy stuff at all if they were going to half-ass it. Euron feels like the Braavos play version of book Euron. I suppose Theon needed stuff to do though...

Gigglepoo

[Probably means his time in the books limited too.

Book canon is not show canon.

Oh yeah, I really wish they'd not have done the Greyjoy stuff at all if they were going to half-ass it. Euron feels like the Braavos play version of book Euron. I suppose Theon needed stuff to do though...

Perfect comparison. I can't believe they screwed up the mystical, badass pirate. That should have been a shoe-in.

On Tyrion: Nope, I will never go along with that theory. If it turns out to be true, it'll be the stupidest thing ever.

It makes sense though. We know at least one fortune teller said he was important. A small man with a big shadow.

He is inherently good at taming dragons. A trait usually found in Targs.

The Mad King Aerys had a thing for Joanna. And may have raped her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom