• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabig2

Why should Bolton need to defend itself from the South? Roose had alliances with Frey at the river and with Lannister at the capital. Very recently, Bolton thought it's only enemy was Stannis and potentially a Northmen uprising. Fair enough that he'd pull all his forces to Winterfell and leave the Moat insufficiently (or un-)guarded.

Because he correctly noted, several times, that by marrying Sansa to Ramsay in Season 5 that he was in open revolt against the Iron Throne.

Meier

Wait I thought they just semi-drowned him then waited to see whether he'd "come back to life" (in reality never "dying" as much as just passing out).

Definitely this. They're a hard men -- if someone is worthy, they'll survive. If not, they clearly weren't the right person for the job.

Also, surprised at people not seeing how easy it would be for Yara to be shot down given the fact the society has never had a queen. Most people will always cling to what they're used to when given the opportunity for sea change (pun intended).

Finally, this show got my sister, a book reader, to cry for the first time. :(

As for me, I hardly cry at this show, being sad is the only thing I can do. But after what happened....

ZCwTahF.gif

Trasher

What if the real reason Benjen never came home is he got marked, and knows he can never return without destroying the world.

I actually like that. He could make Bran aware of his curse. Maybe show him Westeros' best super secret hiding spot that's going 6 years strong now!

When Hodor returns in the final battle as a wight in the Night King's army.... do you think he'll still be... holding the door? Like carrying it around on his back like a giant weapon.

Too soon?

:lol, let it happen, please.

What if the real reason Benjen never came home is he got marked, and knows he can never return without destroying the world.

Oooooooh, I like that speculation.

I feel kinda weird saying this, in light of the general reaction, but something about Hodor/Hold-the-Door didn't really work with me. I'm not really sure what. Maybe it's that it's an answer to a question that I wasn't really that interested in? Maybe it's that the surrounding scene (Bran dream-napping too long) was so ridiculously frustrating that it took away from the impact of the death? That I'm still not *really* sure what happened?

I feel like the execution of the scene was just too much, in a way, but I can't nail it down. Need to rewatch it again, I suppose. I thought the whole thing was just a little ridiculous in how it was staged and I couldn't take it seriously or let it hit me that much. And, I mean, I could tell they really wanted that scene to hit hard--maybe that's a part of it, too.

Maybe part of it was the transition to him saying "Hold the Door" to "Hodor" reminded me too much of Toodles' barking turning into "Hook!", too.

Meier

"Let's go kill my nephew and niece!"

Wow. Cogman is usually pretty good but this episode was full of the show's typical "end>means at any cost" world view. Euron kills Balon and no one cares, Theon/Yara magically escape with nearly every ship and no one notices. What the fuck?

This is totally in line with the Ironborn -- it's not like Balon was beloved. He was respected because he was their leader but it's not as if the Ironborn were flourishing so a change in command could have been seen as an acceptable thing to happen. Euron having the balls to do it probably makes him a more palatable leader in their eyes to be honest. They are a ruthless society.

Yara is a major reaver so it would make sense that the navy men would follow her even if the leaders didn't. There's a camaraderie there. I have no trouble believing she could get men to follow her away from Pyke. Euron would probably look to kill many of them anyway to guarantee that the men in place were loyal to him.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
by the way, how on earth the tullys being back in control at riverrun not be common knowledge, considering everyone seems to have a subscription to westeros times?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I feel kinda weird saying this, in light of the general reaction, but something about Hodor/Hold-the-Door didn't really work with me. I'm not really sure what. Maybe it's that it's an answer to a question that I wasn't really that interested in? Maybe it's that the surrounding scene (Bran dream-napping too long) was so ridiculously frustrating that it took away from the impact of the death? That I'm still not *really* sure what happened?

I feel like the execution of the scene was just too much, in a way, but I can't nail it down. Need to rewatch it again, I suppose. I thought the whole thing was just a little ridiculous in how it was staged and I couldn't take it seriously or let it hit me that much. And, I mean, I could tell they really wanted that scene to hit hard--maybe that's a part of it, too.

Maybe part of it was the transition to him saying "Hold the Door" to "Hodor" reminded me too much of Toodles' barking turning into "Hook!", too.
Well there seemed to be a whole stack of needless deaths in that sequence.

Can't throw a grenade because holding it works... Better?

And the whole thing looked like Evil Dead camp.

Also Bran watching Hodor, I got the feeling he was mainly realizing that he could easily greensee some wild stuff and end up like Hodor if he wasn't careful.

Haruko

When I saw Bran's mark, I immediately thought that maybe that's how Coldhands became Coldhands... And would fit into Benjen = Coldhands and why he couldn't return to Castle Black...

Though if true, the real question is, are they physically prevented from passing the Wall? Or are they free to pass, at their own Wall-breaking peril?

If the latter, Bran may yet doom everyone

mantidor

So are they setting up Jon vs Dany? Both "reborn", both with a red priestess that claims they both are Azhor Ahai, and now both gathering forces.

Brakke

Banned
More and more I'm warming up to the idea of Jorah getting the fire hand. He will probably meet up with the Iron Fleet in Volantis.

If this show can't afford to put a wolf on screen for more than like twenty seconds per episode, they certainly aren't going to have a major character walking around with a lavarm.

So either I am mis-remembering or it's just a continuity error.

Faceless Men, that's what Jaqen is/what Arya is training to be, right?

And these are the assassins mentioned in book one when they want to kill Dany and to them, to hire a Faceless Man is too expensive (which I always thought was stupid tbh, so who CAN afford it?). But that two bit actress was able to hire them to kill her competition?

I just want to make sure that those are the same thing.

John Dunbar

correct about everything

And these are the assassins mentioned in book one when they want to kill Dany and to them, to hire a Faceless Man is too expensive (which I always thought was stupid tbh, so who CAN afford it?). But that two bit actress was able to hire them to kill her competition?

the price depends on who you are. for example, it is speculated that euron hired the faceless men with a dragon egg. for a king to have someone killed, it would probably cost more than any are willing to pay, at least in gold.

Brakke

Banned

They don't always charge gold, and they set different prices for different targets. An actor at the community theater isn't going to cost as much to off as the damned Princess That Was Promised. Could be they're charging the lady her infant child or something.

Madness

The implications of Bran messing around in the past are endless.

This episode is one of those visual things the book couldn't capture, especially the Hodor/Hold the Door scene, but I feel like if this is how it plays out in the books, we would get much more information of what Bran did and why he went.

The three eyed raven is an idiot too. He supposedly knew this was coming which is why he warged them back to Winterfell on the day Wylis started saying Hodor because he knew Bran needed to get him to hold the door. So if the past is set, ink is dry, was Bran destined to have the Nights King touch him or why couldn't the three eyed raven give him a heads up.

Bran is the biggest colossal screwup in the series now, ahead of Catelyn taking Tyrion, freeing Jaime Lannister, Ned disclosing his plans to Littlefinger and telling Cersei the truth etc.

The price most likely depends on the target. Daenerys was surrounded by Dothraki when they were talking about buying a Faceless Man so she would be a much harder target than some random actress.

by the way, how on earth the tullys being back in control at riverrun not be common knowledge, considering everyone seems to have a subscription to westeros times?

I'm assuming it happened in season 5, in which case, no one else really cared at that moment cause they were all occupied.. Cersei and Tommen were dealing with the Sparrows, Jamie was fucking around in Dorne with the Bad Pussies, Sansa was busy getting raped, Arya learning the ways of the Force--, er, the Faceless Men, the Boltons were trying to hold the North, and Stannis and John were busy in the wall with the wildlings.

dabig2

Has kings landing acknowledged the north once anytime recently?

Depends on the term recently, there was the scene back in S5 after Sansa got married when Littlefinger and Cersei concocted a plan to take over Winterfell after Stannis and Boltons fight each other. Scene here:
https://youtu.be/-lcx8gAM6wM?t=152

Just now the plan seems to be going into effect, but I just can't buy that the Boltons would leave one of the most strategic chokepoints of the North unguarded after knowing that they have lost favor of the rules of the South. It's one of those small, seemingly nitpicky things that actually turns into a big, narrative problem when you consider the fact that the Vale will probably deus ex machina their way to Winterfell without the Boltons or their traitor Northern allies expecting a thing.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Have they been reducing the budget of the show as the seasons progress? I really enjoyed the first three seasons or so, but everything since has just felt terribly rushed and kind of cheap. Can't say I'm a huge fan of all of the plot changes from the books, either. They are really compounding so much at this point that the show seems like a completely separate beast. I'm wondering if any of this stuff is even going to happen in the final books.

Like most others, I don't like what implications Bran's time traveling abilities bring to the story.

Yeah it's kind of sill, but we don't know the price. Ja'quen just mentioned a price was paid. We don't know if it's the same rate for a 2 bit actress and a upstart Queen. Plus there could be more than money, we don't know what the cost was.
And more than likely I think the whole thing is a setup anyway, just another test for Arya. No fee was paid.

the price depends on who you are. for example, it is speculated that euron hired the faceless men with a dragon egg. for a king to have someone killed, it would probably cost more than any are willing to pay, at least in gold.

They don't always charge gold, and they set different prices for different targets. An actor at the community theater isn't going to cost as much to off as the damned Princess That Was Promised. Could be they're charging the lady her infant child or something.

The price most likely depends on the target. Daenerys was surrounded by Dothraki when they were talking about buying a Faceless Man so she would be a much harder target than some random actress.

Yeah it's kind of sill, but we don't know the price. Ja'quen just mentioned a price was paid. We don't know if it's the same rate for a 2 bit actress and a upstart Queen. Plus there could be more than money, we don't know what the cost was.
And more than likely I think the whole thing is a setup anyway, just another test for Arya. No fee was paid.

Much appreciated.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
I'm assuming it happened in season 5, in which case, no one else really cared at that moment cause they were all occupied.. Cersei and Tommen were dealing with the Sparrows, Jamie was fucking around in Dorne with the Bad Pussies, Sansa was busy getting raped, Arya learning the ways of the Force--, er, the Faceless Men, the Boltons were trying to hold the North, and Stannis and John were busy in the wall with the wildlings.

i don't think that "not caring" is a sufficient explanation for major players in westeros not knowing who is in control of the most important castle in the riverlands.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I feel like Arya's story has been going nowhere for years now. Arya scenes and High Sparrow scenes consistently feel like the same scene over and over again.

Gigglepoo

The price the Faceless Men receive fluctuates based on both the target and whoever is hiring the assassination. So if King Robert had wanted to hire a Faceless Man, it would have cost, say, half the the crown's gold. Whereas if a beggar wanted to off someone, they would take half of his meager possessions. Or whatever percentage works.

But that means the Faceless Men could be hired by anyone. If you really want someone dead and are willing to give up most of what you own, they will kill anyone you want.

Surfinn

It feels like Arya has been training literally forever, I hope her story goes somewhere satisfying soon.

I feel like Arya's story has been going nowhere for years now. Arya scenes and High Sparrow scenes consistently feel like the same scene over and over again.

Completely agreed. Let's get a move on with these storylines.. otherwise there's not much of a reason for them to be onscreen.

In the books it's for good reason, lots of characters need to catch up.

One of the best setups was Arya traveling and just getting to the Red Wedding over the course of book 2 and 3. That was masterful.

Hmm, I thought the Faceless Men price was based on the person hiring only (relative to their own wealth/possessions), not the target given the whole spiel about all deaths being equal etc (why would they care whether they were assassinating a king or a beggar).

Have they been reducing the budget of the show as the seasons progress? I really enjoyed the first three seasons or so, but everything since has just felt terribly rushed and kind of cheap. Can't say I'm a huge fan of all of the plot changes from the books, either. They are really compounding so much at this point that the show seems like a completely separate beast. I'm wondering if any of this stuff is even going to happen in the final books.

Like most others, I don't like what implications Bran's time traveling abilities bring to the story.

I don't think the budget has been decreased, more likely they're just putting more of it into a few key scenes rather than spread it out over the season.

duckroll

Come on, this isn't our first rodeo. It's like this every season. They pour all the budget into one or two specific episodes towards the end of the season, and everything else looks kinda cheap if they have to try scale outside of those "prime" episodes.

Come on, this isn't our first rodeo. It's like this every season. They pour all the budget into one or two specific episodes towards the end of the season, and everything else looks kinda cheap if they have to try scale outside of those "prime" episodes.

Nothing really strikes me as cheap thus far, except for Dorne, which as with season 5 looked like some moderately rich dude's backyard and some beach down the road.

Werd

The first season skipped over both potential battles, the second skipped the Fist of the North Men, and an episode with thousands of wights lacks budget compared to them?

The budget has gone up significantly from what we know, though much of it probably goes to actor raises. Granted relatively expensive (say Daenerys riding Drogon) can still look cheap for an ambitious effect and S1-2 were more grounded, but I thought this episode was pretty well done.

Enosh

This is totally in line with the Ironborn
well I guess it's in line with show Ironborn, in the books a lot are hardcore traditionalist and kinslaying is a big fucking deal, iirc Victarion doesn't just kill Euron because of the big taboo that kinslaying is

Gigglepoo

Nothing really strikes me as cheap thus far, except for Dorne, which as with season 5 looked like some moderately rich dude's backyard and some beach down the road.

The Children's fireballs looked cheap but otherwise I think the show looks really good. Even Tyrion talking to the dragons.

duckroll

The burning fleet was kinda cheap but not too distracting. The explosions are always ass though. It's really hard to do good explosions on TV shows. Even for HBO.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The first season skipped over both potential battles, the second skipped the Fist of the North Men, and an episode with thousands of wights lacks budget compared to them?

The budget has gone up significantly from what we know, though much of it probably goes to actor raises. Granted relatively expensive (say Daenerys riding Drogon) can still look cheap for an ambitious effect and S1-2 were more grounded, but I thought this episode was pretty well done.

You're right. Maybe it's just that the more grounded nature of the first few seasons didn't cause the cheapness to stand out to me. Now that we're getting more and more fantastical elements, it feels cheaper since it's not all terribly well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom