• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

studyguy

Nymeria coming back would require some crazy CG to make a bunch of wolves following her. I can't see that happening tbh. All the wolves are simply dead save for Ghost who seems to go from CG big ass dire wolf to regular size dog occasionally. None of the direwolves ever seem to have a set size in the show, likely due to the same constraints.

Why is there a time loop paradox in this series :(

I don't think it's a time loop. I know it's not the popular opinion but I think Bran watched the moment that Hodor had a vision of his own death. Maybe it was just that simple this time because time travel stuff always leaves too many what ifs.
Maybe its my own way of dealing with the idea that I don't like the idea of a time paradox in the series.

Why doesn't Euron have an eye patch? It's like the most basic prop a show can have, was it really too hard to get a freaking eye patch?

Not that I really am getting hung up on an eye patch, but I feel like the showrunners are just hesitant to throw in anything that would make a character seem fantastical. Everyone has to look the exact same

CloudWolf

It makes sense though. We know at least one fortune teller said he was important. A small man with a big shadow.

He is inherently good at taming dragons. A trait usually found in Targs.

The Mad King Aerys had a thing for Joanna. And may have raped her.

It would just be very lazy writing IMO. His character arc is way more satisfying if he is a Lannister and comes out on top despite being dragged through the mud for his entire life.

Iksenpets

Banned
Nymeria coming back would require some crazy CG to make a bunch of wolves following her. I can't see that happening tbh. All the wolves are simply dead save for Ghost who seems to go from CG big ass dire wolf to regular size dog occasionally. None of the direwolves ever seem to have a set size in the show, likely due to the same constraints.

I could see if being a season finale shot. Like Arya gets to Westeros, goes out into the woods at night and runs into Nymeria. Then you start to hear all the howls and see all the wolf eyes twinkling in the dark or something. Then next season they would just show up for whatever one big scene they've been building to.

Anarion07

I'm rewatching season 5 with my girlfriend right now.

Hardhome.

Sam says to olly
"I've been worrying about Jon all the time.. He always comes back"

Damn rewatching is good

Apt101

Why doesn't Euron have an eye patch? It's like the most basic prop a show can have, was it really too hard to get a freaking eye patch?

Not that I really am getting hung up on an eye patch, but I feel like the showrunners are just hesitant to throw in anything that would make a character seem fantastical. Everyone has to look the exact same

Even makeup for a purple-stained mouth. They've already had that.

bitbydeath

The problem lies in the fact that the show is not clear at all about the different timeframes. Sure, it would be tacky to put a "The Eyre, 299" thing at the start, but the way it's done now is super confusing for most viewers. It's not like this is some niche complaint, basically everybody I know that watches makes jokes about Littlefinger and his rocket-powered horses.

Can't tell if some are serious or joking with some of the comments so just thought I'd put it back out there.

Oh yeah, I really wish they'd not have done the Greyjoy stuff at all if they were going to half-ass it. Euron feels like the Braavos play version of book Euron. I suppose Theon needed stuff to do though...
Euron being the character he was in the books was the only interesting aspect of the Greyjoy chapters. He was a totally alien 'outsider', shrouded in mystery and was there to shake things up. This dude in the show just came across as another cut and paste, boring 'we do not sow' dullard sea thug like everyone else on the Iron isles.

Brakke

Banned

Book-Daario has a three-pronged blue beard and a golden-dyed mustache. It's always been the case in the show that its aesthetic is more muted than the books'.

CloudWolf

It's not even like the eye patch is something Euron wears for shit and giggles, it's actually vital to his character. He's called the Crow's Eye for the "evil eye" that he hides behind the patch, it's what made him unique. Now he's basically Iron Islander #15.

It's not even that they have something against eye patches, Beric Dondarrion had an eye patch in the show.

beric-dondarron-1024.jpg

Gigglepoo

In the episode where Balon is killed, Yara made fun of his plan to conquer Westeros, bringing up acorns or whatever non-treasure they won. I loved that. Call back to the books and an argument that she is rational.

Cut to the Kingsmoot where she wants to conquer Westeros. Wait, what? Did I miss something?

studyguy

I'd like to think Bran has subtly influenced everyone in the show so they're all playing to the tune of his fiddle without knowing. Subtly moving the pieces on this massive game of chess. For all we know one day we'll need Bronn to acquire an evil, yet magic cat to save the land from the others. Thus he planted the seed in the mind of the sandsnakes at a young age to ensure his message eventually got to Bronn. That the fate of all of Westeros would depend on some
BAD PUSSY.

Iksenpets

Banned
It's not even like the eye patch is something Euron wears for shit and giggles, it's actually vital to his character. He's called the Crow's Eye for the "evil eye" that he hides behind the patch, it's what made him unique. Now he's basically Iron Islander #15.

It's not even that they have something against eye patches, Beric Dondarrion had an eye patch in the show.

They don't have a problem with eyepatches, they have a problem with anything that could make the character be seen as a cartoon pirate. He doesn't have a weird magic eye because they tone down all the magic elements, so there's no need for an eyepatch. I doubt the show ever uses the Crow's Eye name.

In the episode where Balon is killed, Yara made fun of his plan to conquer Westeros, bringing up acorns or whatever non-treasure they won. I loved that. Call back to the books and an argument that she is rational.

Cut to the Kingsmoot where she wants to conquer Westeros. Wait, what? Did I miss something?

Technically, she never got to finish her sentence. She proposed building the fleet, but never got to the part where she would have used it to conquer. In the books, isn't she basically in favor of turning the Ironborn ships into a trading fleet, so they can start getting money instead of rocks and pinecones? Maybe she was actually building up to that? She seemed kind of nervous about what she was about to say next.

Edit: Googled and I may have misremembered that. Tris Botley proposes that they flee and become traders, she doesn't propose anything like that as actual policy.

CloudWolf

The entire Kingsmoot scene was really poorly done. My girlfriend who knows nothing about the show watched it with me and she was like "Gee, those people are really easily convinced."

It basically goes like this:

Yara: "I want to be queen"
Random Iron Islander: "No, Theon"
Theon: "Yara should be queen"
Everyone: "Yay, Yara!"
Euron: "I want to be king. I killed Balon, but there's a lady with dragons that I'm going to marry"
Everyone: "Yay, Euron!"

Also, I guess in these past years kinslaying went from the biggest crime imaginable to "eh, whatever, it happens".

I'd like to think Bran has subtly influenced everyone in the show so they're all playing to the tune of his fiddle without knowing. Subtly moving the pieces on this massive game of chess. For all we know one day we'll need Bronn to acquire an evil, yet magic cat to save the land from the others. Thus he planted the seed in the mind of the sandsnakes at a young age to ensure his message eventually got to Bronn. That the fate of all of Westeros would depend on some
BAD PUSSY.

That would be awesome.

FStubbs

It makes sense though. We know at least one fortune teller said he was important. A small man with a big shadow.

He is inherently good at taming dragons. A trait usually found in Targs.

The Mad King Aerys had a thing for Joanna. And may have raped her.

If any of the Lannisters were secret Targaryens, I'd rather it be Jaime and Cersei. It would be the ultimate irony that Tywin's only child was the one he hated - and the one that actually took after him, at least mentally.

The entire Kingsmoot scene was really poorly done. My girlfriend who knows nothing about the show watched it with me and she was like "Gee, those people are really easily convinced."

Euron: "I want to be king. I killed Balon, but there's a lady with dragons that I'm going to marry"

Also, I guess in these past years kinslaying went from the biggest crime imaginable to "eh, whatever, it happens".

Apparently you just have to be bad@ss enough to own it up front and you can get away with it.

It would've been more in character for Yara to have struck Euron down on the spot when he said he killed Balon.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.

The Ironborn are generally stupid people...they have a society built on raping and pillaging. Also Euron is just there to be a psychotic asshole, same as he was in the books.

CloudWolf

The Ironborn are generally stupid people...they have a society built on raping and pillaging. Also Euron is just there to be a psychotic asshole, same as he was in the books.

I don't buy that Euron is just a psychotic asshole in the books. There's plenty of evidence that he is much, much more than that. Ramsay is the psychotic asshole, Euron is a different kind of evil.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
So good.
This is the book thread, yes? I posted in the show thread for weeks because i thought we had them unified for this season =\
Somehow managed to oblige to the no book spoiler rule, though. That did seem weird.

Reactions:
- Sansa stonewalling Littlefinger was good, but i really hope she'll turn the tables on him at some point. Sansa is very clearly LF's weakness, as far as he has any - it's about time he gets some of his own medicine. I've been rooting for Sansa all along, dammit.
No, not when she was the S1 spoiled brat, but she's awesome now
- Bran gets the crown of best segment of the episode. Who knew that'd ever happen?!?
- HOLD THE DOOR
- Rest of the Bran thing was somewhat stupid though. Why fall on your grenade when you could just drop it?
- Still, HOLDTHEDOOR.
- Greyjoys never fail to disappoint. Lacking even the smallest bit of sense.
- Iain Glen is a god. So good. Clarke was better than usual, but not really good enough in comparison.
- Didn't dig the Tyrion segment much. Tyrion is good as usual, but the red priestess was meh.
- Time travelling, even "Time is a flat circle" variety, is a dangerous road. I think GRRM has done his homework and will handle it properly, but i'm not so sure of D&D.
- That's a really throwaway way to reveal a mystery as big as "what are the Others". CotF weapon out of control is good enough, but it needed some more oomph. Showing some CotF get slaughtered in the past would've been good, but CGI budget is probably already strained as it is.
- Oh, Summer. Since show really has no Nymeria, it's just Ghost now.
-

Theories:
- It's either Benjen, Coldhands or more Children to get Bran out of that mess, now. I'm betting on Benjen, less CGI and perhaps we can justify the S05E10 preview as more than trolling.
- Bran is Bran the Builder -and- Bloodraven, in different stages of his life.
- Someone has to pull a Quentyn. My current guess is Jorah goes to Dorne\Oldtown, gets told dragonfire cures grayscale, and goes into the pit. Not making predictions as what he loses in there.
- Worth repeating: Tyrell army invading at Cersei's request is too similar to Lannister army invading at the Mad King's request not to end in tragedy for Cersei. My hunch is that Queen of Thorns and Margaery are actually teamed up with the High Sparrow, but that is probably a longshot.

Concern trolling:
- Does Littlefinger have a jetpack? I'm just assuming the e04 LF segment actually happened much earlier, but was shown in e04 because else everyone would've forgotten by the time e05 rolled out.
- I'm amazed at how many people think leading both Westeros' and Essos' leading causes of rape and pillage, Ironborn and Dothraki, into a conquering war is a good idea. For anyone involved. Are they taking the horses to westeros, anyway? Probably a good idea. Meat.
- Time travel is so awesome, but so dangerous. I said this already. Worth repeating. Flat circle is the least satisfying approach, too - Interstellar's story ended up lacking punch and agency due to that. Hoping it stays relegated to backstory and Bran.

Corpsepyre

Banned
The episode hit me hard. Loved it.

One thing though. The White Walker origin was just...glanced over, and it didn't feel right. We better get a full episode explaining their origin properly, with a fucktonne of CG to back it up. :p Show's like a post apocalyptic fantasy now after this revelation, with a big bad leader leading the horde of zombies, come to think of it. Guess I'm Ok with it.

John Dunbar

correct about everything

i actually thought it made even less sense than that. even at the kingsmoot she said that the lords of westeros didn't care about them, except when beating them when they rebel. but then she talks about building an enormous fleet. for what? another invasion? i might have missed it, but i have no idea what her plan was.

Gigglepoo

i actually thought it made even less sense than that. even at the kingsmoot she said that the lords of westeros didn't care about them, except when beating them when they rebel. but then she talks about building an enormous fleet. for what? another invasion? i might have missed it, but i have no idea what her plan was.

I watched the episode twice (first time I've ever done that) but skipped over the Kingsmoot the second time because it was awful. There was no logic at all and they turned a fascinating character into a boring dude. I have no clue how a scene like that appeared in the same episode as Sansa owning Littlefinger and Hodor's origin story. It's like two different writers, one of which was terrible at writing, penned the script.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.

I felt like Yara had really no point. Politician spinning useless facts.
I'll built a fleet. Yeah, so what? do what with it? She had really no program. Empty populism.

Which is completely on point, of course. Yara probably intended to keep the ironborn on the iron islands, not do something stupid again, but weakness doesn't win kingships with the ironborn.

Let's just go full Heinlein. Everybody's Bran.

Ha! (Heinlein short story)
Predestination was so good. I don't think anything else ever did "Time is a flat circle" quite as well.

If any of the Lannisters were secret Targaryens, I'd rather it be Jaime and Cersei. It would be the ultimate irony that Tywin's only child was the one he hated - and the one that actually took after him, at least mentally.

Apparently you just have to be bad@ss enough to own it up front and you can get away with it.

It would've been more in character for Yara to have struck Euron down on the spot when he said he killed Balon.

But there are three heads to the dragon. Two are taken. By Dany and Jon.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
here's my prediction: episode 9 or maybe 10 has the end of the whole tower of joy bit. plays out pretty much exactly how you would think, promise me ned etc., and then the baby is a girl.

studyguy

Why do I not recall this scene at all....

Yo listen these humans are assholes.
Lets use humans and turn them into more violent, ice magic wielding, zombie creating humans and use them to fuck up the other humans. Yeah! What could go wrong? Hold my beer, I got this.

CloudWolf

But there are three heads to the dragon. Two are taken. By Dany and Jon.

GRRM has already said that the three heads are not necessarily all Targaryens. Also, even if they had to all be Targs,
we'd already have the third in Aegon

here's my prediction: episode 9 or maybe 10 has the end of the whole tower of joy bit. plays out pretty much exactly how you would think, promise me ned etc., and then the baby is a girl.

What if the baby was Bran?

Corpsepyre

Banned

So, you're saying Bran is going to continue using his gifts even after the fuck-up in the previous episode? Or will we just see it as a flashback?

The more I think about it, the more I feel they should have jettisoned the Dorne plot to give the others more screen-time. Or at least have given the series another episode or two per season. Even if it had been done vaguely well, it still would have been relatively redundant without the connection to Dany's stuff.

None of the plot-lines have room to breathe any more.

studyguy

So, you're saying Bran is going to continue using his gifts even after the fuck-up in the previous episode? Or will we just see it as a flashback?

We're gonna finish the tower of joy one way or another for sure before this season is over, that much I'd be willing to bet money on.

The more I think about it, the more I feel they should have jetisoned the Dorne plot to give the others more screen-time. Or at least have given the series another episode or two per season.

None of the plot-lines have room to breathe any more.

Really they could have just snipped it all down to the final betrayal scene after the fight with the Mountain and we'd be more or less at the same point. Maybe Mycella could have been killed a bit faster, but no Scooby Doo Jaime/Bronn plot needed to happen. Just say the sandsnakes were pissed off and are taking over, killing this little princess and the prince and be done with it.

Jaime's entire arc was inconsequential.

John Dunbar

correct about everything

maybe spoilers on casting/previews:

from what i understand, we have not seen the last of young ned. so something is going down in the past.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Wasn't he still in his greenseeing coma at the end of the episode?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom