• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I saw next week's preview.

Does it seem like Meera and Bran are being moved super fast? Almost as if their sleigh was attached to an Elk or someone with a horse taking them. No way she is running that fast with Bran. But why was she apologizing?

In the trailers many times what we see on screen doesn't match the dialogue at that time.

Speculation

Wights are catching up to them, Meera apologizes to Bran for what is about to happen for dragging him that far North. Just then Benjen saves them and then drags the sled on his horse to the Wall

In the trailers many times what we see on screen doesn't match the dialogue at that time.

Speculation

Wights are catching up to them, Meera apologizes to Bran for what is about to happen for dragging him that far North. Just then Benjen saves them and then drags the sled on his REINDEER to the Wall
Benjen is Santa Claus confirmed.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'd love it if the Riverrun thread introduces us to Lady Stone-heart. I mean, come on. That reveal was awesome in the books.

I think it might. It seemed important in the books that Brienne fall in with Lady Stoneheart, and I think her being sent to Riverrun may mean that their meeting will happen in the show, too.

Gattsu25

Banned
The thing I don't understand is - why was it such a big deal for Bran to travel to TER - dude died before Bran learned anything really actionable? He knows why Hodor is named Hodor, that the now defunct Cotf created the white walkers, and that his dad actually was not the hero he thought he was..

Congrats, I guess? Or is it just about learning to see in the past? (and why the hell is it called flying?)
The guy unlocked Bran's ability to change the events of the past to fulfill the future. The entire last "I must teach you what I know" bit was solidifying that home to Bran, plus, who knows what the hell else was transferred to Bran that we couldn't see.

Speevy

Banned
Bran: Thank you for saving us, Uncle Benjen.
Benjen: I would have come sooner but that "hold the door" thing was so touching.
Bran: OH BENJEN!

Gattsu25

Banned
I think it might. It seemed important in the books that Brienne fall in with Lady Stoneheart, and I think her being sent to Riverrun may mean that their meeting will happen in the show, too.

Plus, they did a good job showing that Brienne has hatred for Davos and Melisandre so if Punished Brienne ever comes to fruition we know what her first mission objective will be.

Turin

Banned
I have zero anticipation of Stoneheart. BWB might be in but only to add more characters to this seasons meat grinder.

Now, I generally enjoy the show, like this season and loved the last episode but......

From the official viewer's guide. It ain't damn fair.

FDG8AbH.png

FUCK!!!

Tiktaalik

The entire Kingsmoot scene was really poorly done. My girlfriend who knows nothing about the show watched it with me and she was like "Gee, those people are really easily convinced."

It basically goes like this:

Yara: "I want to be queen"
Random Iron Islander: "No, Theon"
Theon: "Yara should be queen"
Everyone: "Yay, Yara!"
Euron: "I want to be king. I killed Balon, but there's a lady with dragons that I'm going to marry"
Everyone: "Yay, Euron!"

Also, I guess in these past years kinslaying went from the biggest crime imaginable to "eh, whatever, it happens".

Euron basically just pitched the exact same platform as Yara (Make The Iron Islands Great Again) but tacked on, "also I have a penis." This works because it's a patriarchal society and the Ironborn are idiots.

(I'm basically just reposting what was discussed in the most recent Boiled Leather Audio Hour, which was excellent and everyone should listen to it)

Speevy

Banned
Euron basically just pitched the exact same platform as Yara (Make The Iron Islands Great Again) but tacked on, "also I have a penis." This works because it's a patriarchal society and the Ironborn are idiots.

(I'm basically just reposting what was discussed in the most recent Boiled Leather Audio Hour, which was excellent and everyone should listen to it)

He used House Mormont's words though. That must lose him 10 Greyjoy points.

Pein

Banned
I was so down on game of thrones still kinda am but that Hodor scene was incredible. It almost makes up for the butchering of euron.

Are all of the children gone now?

Speevy

Banned
I loved seeing Theon getting back to his old self. He really sells a transition between Reek and Theon.

Alfie Allen was born to play this part.

Speevy

Banned
Did you guys notice that Euron used the phrase "fucked it right into the ground"?

This was also said by the Bolton men who first capture Theon before Ramsay kills them.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Victarion was such a badass. Euron just exudes that smarmy generic confidence, Renly 2.0. I hope he dies a quick death.

The whole "I've seen things" especially with Old Valeria made Victarion pretty compelling. Euron made it sound like he took a yacht trip across the ocean.

The complaints about the White Walker origins are weird to me. Like what would be "cool"? They're either just some other race of weirdos who are fighting the encroaching humans, or they were created by somebody to fight the encroaching humans. There's only so many origins they can have.

And someone said there were hints of some kind of civilization in the books, I sure don't remember that. They didn't do a damn thing other than kill people and get killed. It was the show that gave us a glimpse of some kind of fortress, and what they do with the children they steal.

Madness

I like that they are a weapon that spiraled out of control. No different to what Cersei did with the Faith Militant, or real life parallels with things like the Taliban which were created by the US to fight the USSR only to turn around and attack the West.

I just hope they don't stay mindless monsters. We do see that the Nights King especially has some emotions, thoughts, maybe some wants. Would make them more terrifying.

I like that they are a weapom that spiraled out of control. No different to what Cersei did with the Faith Militant, or real life parallels with things like the Taliban which were created by the US to fight the USSR only to turn around and attack the West.

I just hope they don't stay mindless monsters. We do see that the Nights King especially has some emotions, thoughts, maybe some wants. Would make them more terrifying.
Speaking of that, did the Night King smirk as he was walking through the flames or was I seeing things? I'd like to see them express themselves more as well.

Turin

Banned
It would have been nice for them to have, like, actually established his identity on the show. I mean...

Considering D&D clearly had no interest in him, I would have rather he remain unnamed as a functional stand in, whether it's on the show or on file.

Kind of like how Three Eyed Raven, as far as I can tell, isn't Bloodraven.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Considering D&D clearly had no interest in him, I would have rather he remain unnamed as a functional stand in, whether it's on the show or on file.

Seriously, why even bother to give him the Damphair name if you're not going to do anything with him?

Azzanadra

Anyone else kind of disappointed with Euron? His first little monologue was great, but after the Kingsmoot, he just seems like another generic bearded man. Not only does he lack all the physical quirks of his book counterpart like the eyepatch, blue lips and muted crew, but he also lacks the charisma, flamboyancy, eccentricity and mysticism of his book counterpart. This is one of the characters I couldn't wait to see on the show... but that was weak.

Also, question: Is the Three Eyes Raven also Bloodraven/Brynden Rivers in the show? Nothing has explicitly confirmed nor denied that, and so far he has just been referred to as "The Three Eyes Raven" (even though its a crow in the books). I could see them getting away with him being just any random man because his identity is irrelevant.

cj_iwakura

I honestly think his biggest claim that won him their support was that he really did pay the iron price; he killed the last king. Silly, but it's Ironborn logic.

I only take mild solace in knowing the book is still marginally ahead of the books, and unless it starts snowing at the end of this season(highly likely), WoW could still have some surprises. Maybe.

Anyone else kind of disappointed with Euron? His first little monologue was great, but after the Kingsmoot, he just seems like another generic bearded man. Not only does he lack all the physical quirks of his book counterpart like the eyepatch, blue lips and muted crew, but he also lacks the charisma, flamboyancy, eccentricity and mysticism of his book counterpart. This is one of the characters I couldn't wait to see on the show... but that was weak.

Agreed, he had potential and they quickly wasted it. He's Victarion without the bite.

Krogan

His pitch had a plan of making an alliance with Dany, dragons and an army which if all that podcast gathered from his speech was "I have a penis" then it sounds dreadful.

The thing I don't understand is - why was it such a big deal for Bran to travel to TER - dude died before Bran learned anything really actionable? He knows why Hodor is named Hodor, that the now defunct Cotf created the white walkers, and that his dad actually was not the hero he thought he was..

Congrats, I guess? Or is it just about learning to see in the past? (and why the hell is it called flying?)

The three-eyed raven was the one that taught him how to use the trees to see into the past.

He can continue to use this ability later down the road once he's escaped the white walker army.

So there are any number of things he can still learn the next time he uses that power.

Unless of course your trying to ask why the three-eyed raven didn't teach him all that remotely...and the answer likely boils down to the fact that he doesn't seem to be strong enough to be able to converse with Bran over the weirternet.

duckroll

Also, question: Is the Three Eyes Raven also Bloodraven/Brynden Rivers in the show? Nothing has explicitly confirmed nor denied that, and so far he has just been referred to as "The Three Eyes Raven" (even though its a crow in the books). I could see them getting away with him being just any random man because his identity is irrelevant.

Book Euron is the Devil Pirate. Show Euron is Theon's Mean Uncle Rob. He is literally the mean rude uncle stereotype and it even looks like he might have a beer belly. It's hilarious.

devilhawk

The Euron character should have been easy. It still could be. I don't understand why they bothered to add in this Yara steals the Iron Fleet subplot. Just have her attack the shield and the reach while Euron goes to Dany. Or even vice-versa.

Madness

Speaking of that, did the Night King smirk as he was walking through the flames or was I seeing things? I'd like to see them express themselves more as well.

I think he had a sort of smirk as well. You could see him studying Bran and later somewhat see his anger with Bloodraven who was probably fucking up his plans for years?

Seriously, why even bother to give him the Damphair name if you're not going to do anything with him?

Because why would they make up another name when they can give him a name that exists? Also they probably learned from all the backlash they got for the Jeyne Westerling/Talisa Maegyar change. Easy to just call him Aeron Damphair than something else.

Euron

They gave him a Dad-bod and replaced his speech regarding gods and the potential of man with "let's go murder them"

Is it as bad as Dorne? Definitely not but it still harmed one of the best episodes in the series.

Probably the consistently best actor on the show throughout all these seasons. Such a stud

Yup. I also think Yara is very well acted--she just gets shit material to work with.

I mean, the whole sequence with her and Theon was a great start to the Kingsmoot. Both had great performances and decent writing.

Then Euron showed up.

The whole "I've seen things" especially with Old Valeria made Victarion pretty compelling. Euron made it sound like he took a yacht trip across the ocean.

He seems like he's just as likely to sail them all to Cancun. All the dickless jokes just made him seem like another brute asshole. At least Yara has some nuance to her character.

Speevy

Banned
Introducing D and D's new "Game of Thrones" translator. Now you can write just like the popular HBO series.

Just type or say anything, and the patented D and D technology makes your words so crass and juvenile that they lose all meaning.

Try it today!

"We are the ironborn, and once we were conquerors. Our writ ran everywhere the sound of the waves was heard. My brother would have be content with the cold and dismal north, my niece with even less ... but I shall give you Lannisport. Highgarden. The Arbor. Oldtown. The riverlands and the Reach, the kingswood and the rainwood, Dorne and the marches, the Mountains of the Moon and the Vale of Arryn, Tarth and the Stepstones. I say we take it all! I say, we take Westeros."

Working...working...done!

"Let's go murder my niece and nephew."

Apt101

So I saw next week's preview.

Does it seem like Meera and Bran are being moved super fast? Almost as if their sleigh was attached to an Elk or someone with a horse taking them. No way she is running that fast with Bran. But why was she apologizing?

It could have just been the camera swinging around making that effect.

Turin

Banned

Pretty sure Sydow's character said that he's been stuck in a tree for 1000 years. Bloodraven is only over 100 years old.

I think the question is why bother to come up with a new name.

Well, they don't actually bother identifying him in the show. I think a lot of us assumed he was just another Drowned God priest, like that guy who baptized Theon.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
The girl who fights Arya with her staff is really good. Maise looks okay but feels more like she's acting it. The other girl seems legit good, and I oddly like her. Good actress, weird character.

The girl who fights Arya with her staff is really good. Maise looks okay but feels more like she's acting it. The other girl seems legit good, and I oddly like her. Good actress, weird character.

I can't tell if I dislike her, her character, or the situation. Something about the Arya stuff just isn't working for me at all, outside of the general "Arya is training to be an assassin" concept. I have to assume the stick fighting pays off in some "wax on wax off" kind of way, because it doesn't seem like the most relevant area of training for an assassin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom