• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iksenpets

Banned
So I saw next week's preview.

Does it seem like Meera and Bran are being moved super fast? Almost as if their sleigh was attached to an Elk or someone with a horse taking them. No way she is running that fast with Bran. But why was she apologizing?

I would guess that the apologizing is after Bran wakes up and she has to tell him about Summer and Hodor. She's just trying to comfort him. Either that or they're facing certain death and she's apologizing for failing to protect him. Either way, that's when Benjen will show up. Get hype, y'all

mujun

I'm confused.

The wight that was shown being created by the elf was the first wight?

Didn't the wights first appear 8000 years ago or something?

Also, and I realize that the books might be different than the TV show but wasn't the guy shown becoming a wight a guy who died in 297 A.C., a couple of years earlier than where the show is now?

I find the whole white walkers backstory confusing.

Apt101

I can't tell if I dislike her, her character, or the situation. Something about the Arya stuff just isn't working for me at all, outside of the general "Arya is training to be an assassin" concept. I have to assume the stick fighting pays off in some "wax on wax off" kind of way, because it doesn't seem like the most relevant area of training for an assassin.

It's too protracted. We're five episodes into the sixth season and if one thinks about it, very little has happened with Arya. It's bad in the books as well, but a little bit better because GRRM can lavish her story with his fine exposition - plus he released that great chapter showing that Arya is really moving ahead in TWoW. But when I watch the show I keep feeling like it's two steps forward, one step back, ok now three steps back, ok one step forward.....

I'm confused.

Also, and I realize that the books might be different than the TV show but wasn't the guy shown becoming a wight a guy who died in 297 A.C., a couple of years earlier than where the show is now?

Yes, the first Other / White Walker. And yes, that must have taken place thousands of years ago. They returned in season one, so that's why the wights (their undead thralls) started appearing around that time.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I'm confused.

Dead shit has been walking around everywhere north of the wall for thousands of years. Don't linger too much on the dates.

I'm confused.

Thats not a Wight. That's a White Walker.

White Walkers are able to reanimate the dead... into Wights.

Moff

I'm confused.

what makes you think that's a guy from 297 A.C?
It's the same actor as the night's king.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
So the remaining book storylines that the show hasn't touched upon are Stoneheart, Coldhands and Jaime in the Riverlands, right? Well I guess Connington, Aegon and Quetyn still exist but the show would have to jump through some hoops to get those plots involved.

And the show characters that are still MIA are Benjen, Gendry, Thoros and Beric? Though Beric is probably already gone and Jorah might be jumping on Gendry's boat now.

Madness

What if they captured Benjen and as he is a Stark tried to make him into a White Walker like them but only his hands changed and he can survive the cold but retained some measure of his humanity?

Also I saw a gif someone made of a split second scene from the season 6 reveal trailer. So it has been shown before but would it be considered spoilers to post the gif? If it is supposedly from an upcominy episode?

Y'all, when I look at Euron all I can see is Pacey from Dawson's Creek. You know, that Mighty Ducks kid. And ducks love water so there's that too.

Edit: I mean look
FjBQcjV.jpg

So the remaining book storylines that the show hasn't touched upon are Stoneheart, Coldhands and Jaime in the Riverlands, right? Well I guess Connington, Aegon and Quetyn still exist but the show would have to jump through some hoops to get those plots involved.

And the show characters that are still MIA are Benjen, Gendry, Thoros and Beric? Though Beric is probably already gone and Jorah might be jumping on Gendry's boat now.

They also completely neutered the Dorne and Iron Island storylines.

Not to mention the Citadel hasn't even been reached yet.

dabig2

Hopefully, after Sam dumps Gilly and her never aging baby off at his folks, we can finally visit Oldtown. Confirm for us that grand maester conspiracy.

Is Dorne basically done in the shows lol?

Like Doran gets killed, "weak men will never rule Dorne again" and we're done there?

At least until the big fight at the end, whatever it is.

Like Doran gets killed, "weak men will never rule Dorne again" and we're done there?

Seems like it.

Show runners just couldn't handle the universe.

Also things are starting to feel rushed again... because they gotta get everything in line for the last season.

Meanwhile GRR Martin will finally get Winds of Winter out in the next year or so and then mention that he want's to turn the final book into two more books.

Moff

na, pretty sure dany will land there and they'll form a girl power squad

Moff

She has to stop for the bad pussy?

I don't think she necessarily has to but with the support of the greyjoys and the martells and the north destroyed the whole thing certainly looks winnable

besides, dorne needs to be used for something in both the books and the show. in the books the martell wanted to marry dany into their family and likely aegon will land there as well. and in the show they are practically ready to worship her.

Brakke

Banned
What if they captured Benjen and as he is a Stark tried to make him into a White Walker like them but only his hands changed and he can survive the cold but retained some measure of his humanity?

Also I saw a gif someone made of a split second scene from the season 6 reveal trailer. So it has been shown before but would it be considered spoilers to post the gif? If it is supposedly from an upcominy episode?

Cold Hands has black hands unlike the White Walkers, who are milky. So Cold Hands is, if anything, a Black Walker.

Like Blade.

grandjedi6

Well Dorne's a lost cause but the Iron Islands might still pan out. Even if Euron sucks, Theon should more than make up for it. Of course I've always been of the opinion that every character introduced in books 4 & 5 are just flavor text and ultimately useless to the overall plot. So Euron's mehness doesn't upset me too much.

I'm pretty sure the Citadel is still coming, even if it's plot is now behind everyone else's.

Can someone breakdown what exactly happened between present-time Bran/Hodor and weirwood vision Bran/Hodor?

Present day bran is eyes rolled back and busy in vision mode and present day Hodor is freaking out before the wights come in. At some point Meera starts yelling at Bran to warg into Hodor, so Bran looks at young Hodor but wargs into present-day Hodor, controlling him and bringing the sled out and holding the door shut.

Then when Meera starts yelling to hold the door, young Hodor notices Bran, at which point does Bran accidentally warg into young Hodor as well, somehow breaking young Hodor's mind?

Madness

Cold Hands has black hands unlike the White Walkers, who are milky. So Cold Hands is, if anything, a Black Walker.

Like Blade.

Maybe they tried to convert Benjen and failed. Instead it turned his body black and immune to ice and made him retain some humanity? Definitely think we will see him soob.

usp84

Euron is so bad at the show. I was really hyping him to my friends who dont read the books but everyone is like "that's it?"

Madness

Euron basically reminds me of cocky Theon. Build me a thousand ships and I will give you this world. And yet he will probably be dead before 1000 ships can be constructed.

The only cool part of the Kingsmoot was the drowning and cinematography and music and speech by Damphair.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Because why would they make up another name when they can give him a name that exists? Also they probably learned from all the backlash they got for the Jeyne Westerling/Talisa Maegyar change. Easy to just call him Aeron Damphair than something else.

Because if he's related to all of the major players in the Iron Islands, shouldn't that, like, have some sort of implications?

grandjedi6

Can someone breakdown what exactly happened between present-time Bran/Hodor and weirwood vision Bran/Hodor?

Present day bran is eyes rolled back and busy in vision mode and present day Hodor is freaking out before the wights come in. At some point Meera starts yelling at Bran to warg into Hodor, so Bran looks at young Hodor but wargs into present-day Hodor, controlling him and bringing the sled out and holding the door shut.

Then when Meera starts yelling to hold the door, young Hodor notices Bran, at which point does Bran accidentally warg into young Hodor as well, somehow breaking young Hodor's mind?
Basically. It's a little vague but what I think happened is...

Instead of taking full control of Hodor like normal, Bran instead just issues the command "get us out of here" since his consciousness was still in the flashback (or perhaps this is how warging has always worked in the show and it differs from the books?). Either way, Hodor pulls them out and the command ends either because it was accomplished or because Bran got distracted by the Three Eyed Raven dying. Then the realities somehow get crossed and Bran wargs past Willis/Hodor instead (since Bran's conscious was there?). So past Hodor basically gets overwritten from the command "Hold the Door" due to some combination of Meera's command seeping through and him potentially seeing his own death. Therefore, Hodor holds the door due to the warging command given to him as a child. It's basically a super long term version of the normal warging commands.

I'm sure the book will explain it better in 2032.

bitbydeath

Of course I've always been of the opinion that every character introduced in books 4 & 5 are just flavor text and ultimately useless to the overall plot.

Pretty much this.

Dorne, Euron, Victorian, fAegon etc are boring in the books.

Honestly the TV show could have done without all of them and focused more on the important plot points instead of spreading itself too thin.

devilhawk

What if Bloodraven in a different form saves Bran and Meera next episode? Surely he is more powerful then the wildling warg and may take control of an animal other than the three eyed crow. There might not even be a coldhands or Benjen appearance, just Bloodraven.

CloudWolf

Of course I've always been of the opinion that every character introduced in books 4 & 5 are just flavor text and ultimately useless to the overall plot. So Euron's mehness doesn't upset me too much.
I never understood this, why would characters introduced halfway in the story (which the fourth and fifth books basically are) be useless to the overall plot?

With the way the Dorne and Iron Islands plots are progressing in the books I can hardly imagine they are useless to the overall plot. Euron is being set up as a major antagonist, Victarion as a general of Dany and Dorne will probably help start the final big war.

Nothus

So why do we think the Night's King was so desperate to get rid of Bran?
Is this his achilles heel or something? Any chance Bran can go back to his creation and stop/change it?

That would be a lame conclusion to the white walkers but why else would Bran be such a big deal to them?

duckroll

Is this his achilles heel or something? Any chance Bran can go back to his creation and stop/change it?

That would be a lame conclusion to the white walkers but why else would Bran be such a big deal to the white walkers?

Because the Night King remembers. Thousands of years ago, when he was still a man, an innocent traveler in the northern wilderness, he came upon a fork in the road. He was about to go left, which would have led him out of the hills into the safety of a nearby village, but he saw the vision of a young boy who whispers to him before running off to the right. He follows the boy and gets lost deeper in the woods until he is captured by the Children of the Forest and made into the First Sacrifice.

The North Remembers.

Gigglepoo

I never understood this, why would characters introduced halfway in the story (which the fourth and fifth books basically are) be useless to the overall plot?

Because we haven't seen where Euron, fAegon, and all of Dorne are headed, a lot of people seem to chalk them up as filter. I don't get it.

I'm especially excited for these plots in Winds in part because there is so much mystery. And Euron is insane. Love that guy.

And LSH. It's incredible people think Martin resurrected Cat for no reason.

Moff

That would be a lame conclusion to the white walkers but why else would Bran be such a big deal to them?

we don't necessarily know he wants to kill bran, maybe he is trying to rescue him.

Brakke

Banned

With the way the Dorne and Iron Islands plots are progressing in the books I can hardly imagine they are useless to the overall plot. Euron is being set up as a major antagonist, Victarion as a general of Dany and Dorne will probably help start the final big war.

But none of those things you proposed here ~really~ change the status quo. Dany has plenty of generals at hand. The series has like a dozen major antagonists. "The final big war" can start itself without us knowing how Arys Oakheart feels about getting his dick wet. The Important Things remain: What happens when Dany gets to Westeros? and What's up with Jon, anyway?

It doesn't breed much confidence that a bunch of the stories from the last two books resolved themselves inconsequentially. Quentyn, Dick Crabb, The Queenmaker. Yeah, all those little episodes "flesh out" the world, but the world is already bloated enough as it is. If we think about it from Dany's perspective, the Queenmaker business won't matter two shits to her when she arrives in Westeros; it's a historical footnote but it's given a whole bunch of chapters.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

I don't think Bran can change history. The wierwoods are just supposed to be a memory repository that happens to not give a crap about pesky stuff like when it was remembered. (So there's a future memory bank as well as a past and present one.)

The most influence they've been shown to exert is making barely audible whispers that most dismiss as the wind.

As for Bran, think about what someone with access to that broad an information network in a world where everyone else is stuck with ravens can bring to the table in a war. Rapid communication, superior intelligence on enemy movements, the ability to control various creatures.

An intelligently guided dragon would be the WW"s worst nightmare.

HolySheep

Neo Member
It's too protracted. We're five episodes into the sixth season and if one thinks about it, very little has happened with Arya. It's bad in the books as well, but a little bit better because GRRM can lavish her story with his fine exposition - plus he released that great chapter showing that Arya is really moving ahead in TWoW. But when I watch the show I keep feeling like it's two steps forward, one step back, ok now three steps back, ok one step forward.....

Yes, the first Other / White Walker. And yes, that must have taken place thousands of years ago. They returned in season one, so that's why the wights (their undead thralls) started appearing around that time.

In the show perhaps. Not the books(probably). If that was indeed the nights king(same actor and all) he would have also been the 13 commander of the watch before he turned. They buildt the wall after the long night. Meaning white walkers exsisted before the nights king(assuming the stories in the books are true).

will be interesting to read the books. Perhaps the nights king is the first white walker the children lost control over? and they in fact started the long night to force a peace agreement and still maintained control. (edit) This also mean the wall was then build on "false pretenses". Didnt the children help bran the builder construct the wall? if they had control at that time, they wouldnt need a wall. If they lost control over the white walkers before the construction of the wall, it was not the nights king who was the cause. Perhaps the magic(making white walkers) they learned was from the "great other" and they were tricked?

Moff

now with euron winning the kingsmoot and yara/theon as victarion on their way to essos, have we reached the point where all storylines are past ADWD?
the only exception would be lyanna's "promise me", or is there anything else?

Ratrat

now with euron winning the kingsmoot and yara/theon as victarion on their way to essos, have we reached the point where all storylines are past ADWD?
the only exception would be lyanna's "promise me", or is there anything else?
Well, they seemed to just skip Riverrun as Blackfish has it and an army with no mention of the Freys. Sam may meet Arya?

Speevy

Banned
Well, they seemed to just skip Riverrun as Blackfish has it and an army with no mention of the Freys. Sam may meet Arya?

Preview

Walder Frey is in the promotional material. I'm guessing Jaime's army camps with them while Jaime is meeting with Edmure.

Enosh

yeah Nights King as first WW makes no sense, I honestly think they just liked the tittle and slapped it on the leader of the WW

Zabka

yeah Nights King as first WW makes no sense, I honestly think they just liked the tittle and slapped it on the leader of the WW

If he's the first White Walker that means he's responsible for the Long Night. Makes perfect sense that he'd be called the Night's King.

HolySheep

Neo Member

Indeed. Now he may be some sort of leader and even "the great other". For this to work however the children would have to had control over the others during the long night. And he's the first rouge WW. Cant wait for the books:p

HolySheep

Neo Member
If he's the first White Walker that means he's responsible for the Long Night. Makes perfect sense that he'd be called the Night's King.

In the show. Not in the book. Nights king in the book was the 13th commander of the wall. The wall was built after the long night. What this means: He is not the first WW. He may be the first rouge one assuming the children still ahd control during the long night.

Even if the children lost control earlier he may be a leader of some sort. Perhaps because he was a greenseer(would explain why he could see bran). However what made them lose control if not the night king? The great other perhaps?

Lastly, did they ever lose control? Perhaps there are different factions within the children fo the forests. Some may want to purge the world of humans.

In the show. Not in the book. Nights king in the book was the 13th commander of the wall. The wall was built after the long night. What this means: He is not the first WW. He may be the first rouge one assuming the children still ahd control during the long night.

Even if the children lost control earlier he may be a leader of some sort. Perhaps because he was a greenseer(would explain why he could see bran). However what made them lose control if not the night king? The great other perhaps?

Lastly, did they ever lose control? Perhaps there are different factions within the children fo the forests. Some may want to purge the world of humans.

If I recall, the Night's King Lord Commander exists in the show timeline, too. I think he's been mentioned several times in the appendices on the DVD's.

So the Night King and the Night's King are most likely two different entities altogether. Or the legends are muddled, it's been thousands of year. We don't even know if the Night's King truly existed, even in the book timeline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom